• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox One May Preview Update - Sound Mixer! Volume Control! Speech Recognition! Oh My!

morpix

I'd love some sort of Voice Commands... Even if it's just Xbox On, Off, Go Home and TV.
It's still not available in New Zealand.

I noticed some changes to the way Xbox mute/unmute looks. Don't know how to explain it. Volume up/down too.

Yep, I really like this. They made slight modifications to the behavior and appearance it seems. They changed the colors and I believe they also made sure that the system doesn't show any other options that are unnecessary when all you've asked is to have the sound muted.

Also, the TV's volume turns down slightly now whenever you say 'Xbox Go Home.' I like that.

Asking for TNT kept sending me to CMT :/

Same! I've grown to hate CMT very much lol. ESPN takes me to CSPAN. CSPAN!!!

JLeack

Banned
Sick update! I snap twitch a lot while playing games, and it'll be nice to turn up the audio on Twitch to hear streamers better.

New002

Yep, I really like this. They made slight modifications to the behavior and appearance it seems. They changed the colors and I believe they also made sure that the system doesn't show any other options that are unnecessary when all you've asked is to have the sound muted.

Also, the TV's volume turns down slightly now whenever you say 'Xbox Go Home.' I like that.

Same! I've grown to hate CMT very much lol. ESPN takes me to CSPAN. CSPAN!!!

Have you tried telling the system to take you to CSPAN in the hopes that it takes you to ESPN? Or does it just troll you and stay on CSPAN :p ?

hwalker84

Eo6Ao4G.png

Saw this on Reddit. 1,3,4 Are at the top of my list.

Caayn

Nice list but I'm missing price parity across regions/countries on it. I know it's a hopeless dream, but a man can dream right.

And please no more pre-order bonuses, we already have too much of those things.

Kinyou

And please no more pre-order bonuses, we already have too much of those things.
I don't think they're asking for new bonuses, just that you also get them when buying digitally. Of course would it be best if they'd go away all together, but I don't think that will happen anytime soon.

link1201

I just got a second update. Updating now.

"New Stuff
◾Update to address issues some users noticed where Party Chat would be quiet unless the Party App is snapped
◾Get System Update button change. This update changes how the system update button works under Settings->System. Now the button will say “No update available” and be greyed out when there is no update and will say “Update console” and be active when an update is available."

I just got a second update. Updating now.

Yea, getting that now as we speak also.

Have you tried telling the system to take you to CSPAN in the hopes that it takes you to ESPN? Or does it just troll you and stay on CSPAN :p ?

I think if I tell it to go to CSPAN, it will actually go there.

edit: Update fixed tv issues. Used voice commands to go to Espn, hbo, TNT, MSNBC.

Welfare

Man, I hope this Kinect Speech Recognition actually works. Every time I say "Xbox, Play Disk", it always reads it as "Play Music". So aggravating.

Man, I hope this Kinect Speech Recognition actually works. Every time I say "Xbox, Play Disk", it always reads it as "Play Music". So aggravating.

Is Xbox play disc an actual command? I cant remember, you'd be better off just saying the games name though

Caayn

◾Get System Update button change. This update changes how the system update button works under Settings->System. Now the button will say “No update available” and be greyed out when there is no update and will say “Update console” and be active when an update is available."
Smart decision.

jond76

Banned
I had the voice channel problem too. Xbox forums said it was a server side issue. They also recommend that you put your most watched channels into the favorite section of the one guide. It's supposed to prioritize the commands better. It worked for me.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I received an in invite from a friendly Gaffer, but then the registration app says it has to go and do some stuff and not everyone ca be registered. How do you know if/when you are accepted?

malfcn

This update has been pretty ass for recognition goes.

"Xbox sign in Kyle"
*Xbox sign everyone out*

"Xbox go to Amazon Instant Video"
*Xbox sign in Allie"

"Xbox go to Something"
*Xbox goes to something completely different*

malfcn

Got another update. Looks like it was old.

But "play disc" works about 1/10 times for me.
Hopefully whatever I'm pulling improves some of the improvements.

Hawk269

I have the most recent update that broke my Forza so I had to re-download and it worked fine. But, I don't do want to ask those that have the most recent update and you have Killer Instinct or Forza. Do the games look different to you? I swear and my wife said the same thing when I was playing Killer Instinct that the game looked cleaner. I don't know what it is or maybe I am seeing things, but to me there is a noticeable difference in how these 2 games look to me. I have a bunch of other games I am going to test.

Anyone else that has the most recent update that rolled out yesterday care to weigh in on this before I go crazy? Only thing keeping me in check is that my Wife also noticed it.

Wizman23

Banned
Just noticed that this update brought a change I really like. When I say Xbox Volume Up/Down, the voice command box does not stay up at all for any amount if time. Before I would have to say stop listening, otherwise it would stay up for 10 seconds or so.
It's also now instant. I used to say "Xbox volume down " and then the command would pop 10 seconds later and then linger around waiting for you to say "stop listening". Now when you say it the notification pops instantly and disappears just as fast. Keep these awesome updates coming MS!

Fotos

Another GAF member said he invited me. That was before the April update though. I don't think it worked so if someone else could I would appreciate it.

Ding II

But, I do want to ask those that have the most recent update and you have Killer Instinct or Forza. Do the games look different to you? I swear and my wife said the same thing when I was playing Killer Instinct that the game looked cleaner. I don't know what it is or maybe I am seeing things, but to me there is a noticeable difference in how these 2 games look to me.
I don't have an answer for you, as I have yet to actually play a game on my XB1, but is it possible that Microsoft has made further changes to how the scaling works, or has possibly "fixed" how full range RGB is rendered?

Last I checked, I still can't adjust the blacks so that "eye" that they talk about becomes visible. Perhaps it's just the calibration utility that is broken? Is the XB1 able to correctly output a full-range signal, including the so-called "blacker than blacks"?

Also, while I'm veering hopelessly off topic, has anyone heard any recent news about an extra long Kinect cable becoming available? (Monoprice claimed to be working on one.)

I have the most recent update that broke my Forza so I had to re-download and it worked fine. But, I don't do want to ask those that have the most recent update and you have Killer Instinct or Forza. Do the games look different to you? I swear and my wife said the same thing when I was playing Killer Instinct that the game looked cleaner. I don't know what it is or maybe I am seeing things, but to me there is a noticeable difference in how these 2 games look to me. I have a bunch of other games I am going to test.

Anyone else that has the most recent update that rolled out yesterday care to weigh in on this before I go crazy? Only thing keeping me in check is that my Wife also noticed it.

I'm not seeing a difference, and I just played Forza.

link1201

A newer update, not much . It looks like they might be saving the bigger stuff for E3, I hope anyway.

"New Stuff

We’re at a stage in previewing this update where new updates will primarily contain fixes and improvements. The following changes are contained within this build:

◾Ongoing fixes and adjustments to the user interface.
◾An update to fix an issue some users reported where content requiring a title update would need to be uninstalled and reinstalled after a System Update.
◾An update to help resolve issues with playing disc-based games.
◾Updates to resolve an issue where Party Chat would not work via headsets, only via surround sound speakers."

A newer update, not much . It looks like they might be saving the bigger stuff for E3, I hope anyway.

"New Stuff

We’re at a stage in previewing this update where new updates will primarily contain fixes and improvements. The following changes are contained within this build:

◾Ongoing fixes and adjustments to the user interface.
◾An update to fix an issue some users reported where content requiring a title update would need to be uninstalled and reinstalled after a System Update.
◾An update to help resolve issues with playing disc-based games.
◾Updates to resolve an issue where Party Chat would not work via headsets, only via surround sound speakers."

The bolded was an issue with me. Sometimes if I joined a party I could only hear the person through my TV, not through my headset. The fix was to power off the controller then power it back on. I'm curious t osee if this update fixed the need to do that.

maximrace

So since the new update yesterday party chat is acting weird for me. Everything is fine but 5 min later there is a lot of static when I talk. Anyone with a similar problem?

Lima

The bolded was an issue with me. Sometimes if I joined a party I could only hear the person through my TV, not through my headset. The fix was to power off the controller then power it back on. I'm curious t osee if this update fixed the need to do that.

I had to do that yesterday when we played Forza with gaffers.

I unregistered my console from the preview updates. Too buggy for me and not worth it for the new features.

Top Bottom