• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox One May Preview Update - Sound Mixer! Volume Control! Speech Recognition! Oh My!

I actually updated to this not too long ago. It appears to have totally threw off my voice recognition for TV viewing., which was absolutely flawless before the update. I could name a channel, and it would go to it without fail, but now when I say Xbox "Watch TNT," it seems to go to CMT, and when I say Xbox "Watch ESPN," it seems to go to CSPAN. When I say Xbox "Watch HBO," it flat out ignores me altogether and chooses what it wants.

This is my first experience with a beta OS, so I guess this sorta thing comes with the territory. I tried recalibrating Kinect with no success. May try a full shut down and boot up to see if that fixes the problem.

Changes I noticed.

When you say "Xbox On" It now makes a sound to let you know the console just registered the command.

Tazo

When you say "Xbox On" It now makes a sound to let you know the console just registered the command.

Noticed that before as well, it's a nice change! Usually I yell from the other room to turn my Xbox on, glad I can now listen out for the little "do-do-ding" noise!

Voice recognition seems to be even more responsive and faster for the launching of just about anything else on the system, for example I can speak much quieter now while giving out a bunch of commands, but TV voice recognition is not nearly as good as it was before receiving this preview update.

It seems to be more or less ignoring me. I'm going to try a cold boot of my system to see if this solves the issue. A cold boot doesn't fix the issue.

So, based on what I've seen, voice recognition seems a whole lot better and faster when not watching TV. However, once you're using the TV app, it's pretty close to a disaster. Yea, this would have to be something they fix before releasing this to everyone. My voice recognition while watching TV was flawless before this.

Also, just spotted another bug while watching TV. The green text that pops up when you say xbox select or "xbox watch" etc just stays there non-stop, and the "stop listening" option isn't available in the upper righthand corner. Normally the green text goes away after awhile when you don't say anything. Not the case with this update. Seems there's quite a few bugs in the TV app that have to be worked out before putting this out to everyone else.

Agree with a couple of other posters - snapping seems much faster as does speech recognition. Thought I was imaging it but good to see others with same experience. I don't use tv tv tv though so can't comment on whether voice recognition in tv has suffered. Semjitsu have you tried recalibrating following the update?
Edit: Oh yes, you did. Report it in the forums.

ValeYard

Just updated using the new "System Update" button that allows you to manually start the update.

Did anyone notice a new option in settings>system to erase all locally stored games? Was that there before?

Not much news on what's coming this month otherwise, i.e., no news, but hopefully they will add some other stuff too. Will have to try the voice stuff tonight.

ValeYard

Have they specified that the new countries in September will all receive their respective languages?

I think one of the reasons they delayed in many countries is that they always want the language support to be in the box. So far, no country just has English. I, along with many others, am waiting for them to allow us to turn voice recognition to a different language than the resident country *sigh*.

Nevertheless, the update frequency is great and shows they are working hard at keeping the console in the game, so to speak.

Have they specified that the new countries in September will all receive their respective languages?

I think one of the reasons they delayed in many countries is that they always want the language support to be in the box. So far, no country just has English. I, along with many others, am waiting for them to allow us to turn voice recognition to a different language than the resident country *sigh*.

Nevertheless, the update frequency is great and shows they are working hard at keeping the console in the game, so to speak.

^^

Yep, I assumer thats why they are taking so long, since its pretty obvious they don't have stock issues.

Rookwood

Banned
Not as robust as previous updates (I think, but what do I really know?) but I'm still appreciative of the hard work that goes into improving the platform. One could say that the console should have shipped with the vast majority of these features and fixes, but I'm not complaining. Humble MS is good MS. A hungry MS is even better.

I'm in the preview program and I still haven't received the update, nor do I see the button to manually install updates. Wasn't that part of the last major update or am I just not seeing it?

JayLee

Banned
Voice recognition seems to be even more responsive and faster for the launching of just about anything else on the system, for example I can speak much quieter now while giving out a bunch of commands, but TV voice recognition is not nearly as good as it was before receiving this preview update.

It seems to be more or less ignoring me. I'm going to try a cold boot of my system to see if this solves the issue. A cold boot doesn't fix the issue.

So, based on what I've seen, voice recognition seems a whole lot better and faster when not watching TV. However, once you're using the TV app, it's pretty close to a disaster. Yea, this would have to be something they fix before releasing this to everyone. My voice recognition while watching TV was flawless before this.

Also, just spotted another bug while watching TV. The green text that pops up when you say xbox select or "xbox watch" etc just stays there non-stop, and the "stop listening" option isn't available in the upper righthand corner. Normally the green text goes away after awhile when you don't say anything. Not the case with this update. Seems there's quite a few bugs in the TV app that have to be worked out before putting this out to everyone else.
Getting the exact same here, the voice commands in general seem much more responsive and accurate when being used, although in TV the channels are iffy. For example, if I say "Xbox Watch Dave" it will recognise that as "Xbox Watch TV" constantly.

Maybe worth trying re-calibrating the Kinect?

Jallopy

I'm seeing the same behavior; great responsiveness for all voice commands except for watching TV; channel commands (that used to work great) are now completely borked.

Why would they put this in though, surely they can hear everything said anyway? And if it's just to improve their voice recognition software, why put it in at all? Smells like an advertising kick to me.

The term "product improvement" is quite a wide-reaching term.

Do you feel the same way when you install a program and it asks if you want to allow it to send crash and usage data back to the company?

Bgamer90

Banned

Small but nice feature. Going to get this in a few minutes.

Also, in terms of the voice commands, I always go to the kinect calibration after getting an update. Never had any issues with commands to be honest.

You mean it being stuck on 99% install? I had to delete and reinstall it completely.

I had to do the same for Killer Instinct classic.

akileese

I'm seeing the same behavior; great responsiveness for all voice commands except for watching TV; channel commands (that used to work great) are now completely borked.

Okay so it's not just me. That's good to know. I've noticed a few things with TV commands specifically.

1) If I try to watch "NBC Sports" it's goes to NBC. It's as if it doesn't pick up the second part of it.
2) ESPN goes to CSPAN.

It seems like it has a problem picking up anything that's abbreviated that might sound even remotely similar. The peculiar thing is how this only effects TV and nothing else at all.

Redshirt

Banned
I wish they would offer an upgrade path from Combo Breaker to Ultra Edition.

In retrospect, I wish I had gotten UE, and I'd pay the $19.99 to do it but not $39.99.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Will updates from preview releases come at the same time, or later?

Mainly wondering when we'll get UK TV guide and set top box support.

(If anyone has an invite to the preview so I could get I that way, I'd be grateful. GT is MisterKlaw)

Bsigg12

I actually updated to this not too long ago. It appears to have totally threw off my voice recognition for TV viewing., which was absolutely flawless before the update. I could name a channel, and it would go to it without fail, but now when I say Xbox "Watch TNT," it seems to go to CMT, and when I say Xbox "Watch ESPN," it seems to go to CSPAN. When I say Xbox "Watch HBO," it flat out ignores me altogether and chooses what it wants.

This is my first experience with a beta OS, so I guess this sorta thing comes with the territory. I tried recalibrating Kinect with no success. May try a full shut down and boot up to see if that fixes the problem.

Changes I noticed.

I think they cleared all the priority lists for words with the update. It's functioning much faster than it was but like you said, the TV channel stuff got all wonky. I've been watching hockey and some other things and it's already working better and even seems more accurate.

Derpcrawler

Off topic, I know, but I'm really surprised and confused why they haven't offered this stand alone yet. I often forget it's even on the console as it's own game because of that.

I won only 1 game in KI Classic, game difficulty is brutally hard, and game is old so controls feel kinda clunky, especially without fight stick. I don't see it be very popular among non KI fans, and those probably got Ultimate Edition.

LowSignal

I want auto sign in without kinect and It would be nice if the new Xbox One's came with a sheet of commands. At first I had a heck of a time figuring out the snap function and I can see someone just not using it, make it a little easier to use.

Bring back clippy "Hey I see your playing a game, would you like to stream music too?"

I want auto sign in without kinect and It would be nice if the new Xbox One's came with a sheet of commands. At first I had a heck of a time figuring out the snap function and I can see someone just not using it, make it a little easier to use.

Bring back clippy "Hey I see your playing a game, would you like to stream music too?"

Probably a bit late but you could print this off?

Full-Xbox-One-voice-command-list-large.jpg

jond76

Banned
Yeah, once I get into TV, the commands are borked. It recognizes almost no channel commands.

Hope its fixed for the official rollout.

Dega

Eeny Meenie Penis
Oh nice, the HDMI lag has decreased noticeably. If I fast forwarded or rewinded before the picture would stay on the last image until I hit play but now it shows the rewind or fast forward smoothly.

Edit: I'm talking about the TV/DVR functionality. Just to make it clear.

BeforeU

Oft hope is born when all is forlorn.
Oh nice, the HDMI lag has decreased noticeably. If I fast forwarded or rewinded before the picture would stay on the last image until I hit play but now it shows the rewind or fast forward smoothly.

Interesting, but I still don't think you can actually play game from other console right? I really want to attach my 360 into it.

Caayn

Interesting, but I still don't think you can actually play game from other console right? I really want to attach my 360 into it.
Depends on the input lag you already have on your TV. For me it has been working perfectly playable since launch, been using my 360/WiiU with it.

Depends on the input lag you already have on your TV. For me it has been working perfectly playable since launch, been using my 360/WiiU with it.

Oh really? I just tried my 360 through it and it didn't work that well (Geometry Wars 2, probably not the best game to try it on admittedly) perhaps this is an excuse to get a new TV, hehe

JaggedSac

Just noticed that this update brought a change I really like. When I say Xbox Volume Up/Down, the voice command box does not stay up at all for any amount if time. Before I would have to say stop listening, otherwise it would stay up for 10 seconds or so.

Hawk269

I like how when you are watching TV and you say "Xbox go Home" when the it downsizes the TV it lowers the volume so when you are in the dash it is not loud. When you say "XBOX Watch TV" and it goes back to full screen the volume goes back to normal. Nice little change.

Caayn

Whoaaa, easy :p I'm guessing that it's TV related as the added latency by the HDMI-IN could be just a little too much when added on top of your TV input lag. There's still a slight possibility that MS uses different chips, although I highly doubt that.

Top Bottom