• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Naughty Dog has begun exploring ideas for The Last of Us 2

Naughty Dog is currently exploring ideas for a sequel to The Last of Us, community strategist Arne Meyer has revealed, telling VideoGamer that failing to consider options for The Last of Us 2 "would be a disservice to ourselves and our fans".

"I think we always make a smart decision in that all of our games are self-contained stories so they don't have to continue if we don't want them to or if there's no reason for them to continue,"
Meyer explained while discussing ideas for a sequel. "It really comes down to is there something interesting in this universe we've created that we want to continue to explore? Is it something that we can get the entire team passionate about? Is it something we can get the creative directors excited about and then we could continue it?

"We're just starting to explore ideas of what more could there be in this universe and starting that decision process. That doesn't mean the end result is guaranteed."
Via http://www.videogamer.com/ps4/the_l...dog_exploring_ideas_for_the_last_of_us_2.html

Silky

Banned
Of course it's getting a sequel. It damn sure doesn't need one, but hey THE VIDEOGAME INDUSTRY!
LLShC.gif

There's no way they can capture TLoU's spark twice. Naughty Dog post Bandicoot is pretty bad at making sequels that live up to it's original imo

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
This whole 'it would be a disservice to people to not remake our game/make sequels' thing is really rubbing me the wrong way as PR tactic.

GavinUK86

They already said they have two blockbuster franchises to work on now so it makes sense they're planning the sequel while the other team is working on U4.

Any ND game is worth buying IMO. Even without seeing it.

Amir0x

Banned
I know it's coming. But please, Naughty Dog, if it has to come, promise me one thing.

*grabs Naughty Dog by the sweater collar*

PROMISE ME ONE THING. You won't. Reuse. Joel. And. Ellie. Say it so I can hear it! I need to know you can grasp this fundamental truth!

I want a sequel to one of the best games of all time... I want more of it's characters and world, one game isn't enough or fair or doing them justice.

TLOU is my absolute favorite new IP in years... and I trust ND so much.

Because a game that may potentially reach 9-10 million copies shouldn't get a sequel? This industry is difficult as is to be profitable and folks actually expect Naughty Dog to not try and capitalize on a brand new IP?

Hnnnghhh, just thinking about a sequel makes me wet. So many possibilities. New characters, solo character
(grown up Ellie)
, the story revolving around a big community who are trying to start again (like that town in The Walking Dead).

tumblr_mc3hg5VpQP1qcy0p7o1_500.gif

Renpatsu

Dual narrative style similar to the DLC where we follow a grown up Ellie on her own in the present and Joel and Ellie set in the past both leading up to when they part ways.

I sort of feel like Adam Jensen in that I never asked for this. The game was great as a standalone experience, albeit with the DLC too I suppose. But that's not how a company makes money I guess.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
It needs to be new characters. The world is big enough to warrant more stories, but I'm not sure more Joel would be good. Maybe a game with Ellie as the main character a few years later?

It doesn't need a sequel. Move on Naughty Dog.

Too much money to be had. Even if it wouldn't be as regarded as the first, it would sell on name alone.

They don't really care about your feels.

Because a game that may potentially reach 9-10 million copies shouldn't get a sequel? This industry is difficult as is to be profitable and folks actually expect Naughty Dog to not try and capitalize on a brand new IP?
Obviously they need to make a 2nd remaster instead, man.

Of course it's getting a sequel. It damn sure doesn't need one, but hey THE VIDEOGAME INDUSTRY!
LLShC.gif

There's no way they can capture TLoU's spark twice. Naughty Dog post Bandicoot is pretty bad at making sequels that live up to it's original imo

That is not so UC2 blew UC1 out the water in every way .
If they do a new one i rather new characters and it being on PS4 would help everything else.

Thank god people on Neogaf don't make executive decisions, dropping extremely successful IP's because you were satisfied with the story in the first entry is the worst reasoning.

Boke1879

LLShC.gif

Uncharted 2 says hi

ezekial45

Banned
Good.

Thank god people on Neogaf don't make executive decisions, dropping extremely successful IP's because you were satisfied with the story in the first entry is the worst reasoning.

For real. They left it off at a really interesting place, and I definitely want to see where they take it next. It's not a sacred cow, so I think a continuation is absolutely worthy.

I just hope they won't do a rehash.

Dragon

Banned
LLShC.gif

Yeah Uncharted 2 was pure bile.

Good.

They left it off at a really interesting place, and I definitely want to see where they take it. It's not a sacred cow, so I think a continuation is absolutely worthy. I just hope they won't do a rehash.

Yea, a sequel would unquestionably be a day 1 buy.

I trust ND implicitly to deliver, even if the go back to Joel and Ellie. There's definitely more to the story left to explore.

Lol, pretty much.

Anybody against a sequel needs to realize already that it's going to happen, period. That being said, there's so many places a sequel could go, different characters to follow, different years to take place in, etc. I was completely against the thought of a sequel myself, but after replaying it recently, I've realized that a sequel could still be just as amazing, if not more than the original. I mean, it's Naughty Dog.

I get their thinking, but they can simply not play it.

I want another one, if for nothing but more great multiplayer.

KorrZ

As much as I loved the Last of Us as a self-contained story I would still totally be down for a sequel. The story they created was fantastic but the gameplay was also fun as hell and I think there is a lot of room to expand on the core they've created.

Please have the next game be completely unrelated to Joel/Ellie though - their ending was perfect.

Umm...Uncharted 2?

Top Bottom