• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Naughty Dog has begun exploring ideas for The Last of Us 2

WaffleTaco

Wants to outlaw technological innovation.
Probably will revolve around Joel and Ellie again. They will both be older and more close, you will be mainly playing as Joel, Ellie very seldom. I am guessing 1/3 of the way through the lie will come out. 2/3 Joel will die with a secret or something while Ellie spends the next third going after the people that killed Joel. The third will end the series with a much, much older Ellie, humanity will start rebuilding, something with that and Joel's secret and then blah blah blah emotional ending where she dies. Can't wait for a sequel.

JaseMath

I want them to. I don't want them to make a story about Joel and/or Ellie, I agree, their story should be left as done. That doesn't mean there isn't a ton of other stories that can't be told in that world.

But for me it's not just the story I liked, I really liked the gameplay and how you played. And the environment and I would love to hear more stories from that world. And no, Uncharted isn't the same (and I think Uncharted fans would say the same, particularly the ones who preferred Uncharted to TLOU and were expecting an Uncharted with zombies).
What could they possibly do that would be thematically different? They've told the post-apocalyptic story once...there's not much good in telling it again through someone else's eyes.

Anyone here (who played) genuinely hate the Ellie's Story DLC?

Curious, because there were detractors prior to the DLC launching who said "Last of Us doesn't need story DLC. It's perfect as-is. No need to more storyline" and by all accounts the DLC was very well received.

The point is that ND knows their craft. It would be safe to say that they're the top cinematic storytellers in the game industry right now. If they opted to continue Joel and Ellie's story, so be it.
For some reason, people assume the creators of the plot they so much enjoyed in the first one, have zero extra talent to make a main second story that's also satisfying. They don't even like the fact that Naughty Dog are entertaining the idea of a new story, even though they got it right with this universe twice.

Please, no. Don't touch it. Don't tarnish the purity of that story. I don't even want a "same universe non-sequel." There's nothing inherently interesting about the world of The Last of Us. The stuff that makes the game special would work in any setting. Take those design philosophies and do something completely different.

prequels will work. I think following the story up with that ending tarnishes what makes it so good.

Prequels suck unless the timeline far apart and they not using the same characters.
There is no tension in the story when it base on characters we already know what going to happen to them .

Tigress

What could they possibly do that would be thematically different? They've told the post-apocalyptic story once...there's not much good in telling it again.

I want to know more about how other people got through the world. Like Walking Dead where if you look at it, it explores many different ways people coped with the world. TLOU 2 could focus on something different. Hell, Joel's brother's community he lived in is one story. How they managed to get it together, or how it survived.

Not everyone survived (or didn't) the same way.

Or maybe show how after Joel and Ellie sometime (doesn't have to be right away), people managed to get a community together and managed to get to a point where they got back to some sort of way of surviving and even thriving. Even could name it, "The First of Us" as in how society started to rebuild itself over again.

There's a lot of possibilities and stories that could be told. You have to have some imagination.

Zukuu

Banned
Would rather see a new IP. I think the story of "Last of Us" has been told and should not be messed with further.

There is no way in hell they aren't making another game in the series. I'd definitely be interested in seeing what they would do with it, even though I didn't particularly enjoy TLOU.

TimmiT

Thank god people on Neogaf don't make executive decisions, dropping extremely successful IP's because you were satisfied with the story in the first entry is the worst reasoning.

I'd rather have the Last of Us team make the game they want to make. Hopefully they are making the sequel because they want to and not because of some executive decision. I mean, it would suck if all Quentin Tarantino would make is Pulp Fiction sequels because of how successful the first movie was.

Krakn3Dfx

Make it in the same universe but completely unrelated the characters from the first game. The problem with most sequels is that they try to rely on characters from the previous games, I prefer a fresh look from a new pair of eyes.

daveo42

Banned
While I know that ND has the chops to come up with a fantastic follow-up without messing with how the events of the original played out, I would be perfectly fine if they never went back. Leave Joel and Ellie's ending alone is all I ask.

A good follow-up would probably revolve around the events between the initial outbreak and the start of TLoU with brief cameos from some of the original cast. New main(s), new areas, new story.

Servbot24

Banned
It really comes down to is there something interesting in this universe we've created that we want to continue to explore? Is it something that we can get the entire team passionate about? Is it something we can get the creative directors excited about and then we could continue it?

Did we sell 7 million copies of the last one?

I want Naughty Dog to explore new game genres, not regurgitate cinematic corridor shooters for another generation.

Agree with this. If anything I always appreciated how ND would basically have a clean slate with each new generation. Looks like this one will be the exception.

But you will swallow down that E&J when it served up.
Right?

Well yeah. They managed to surprise me with the story in the first game, so hopefully they'd be able to do it again with the sequel if it were to have them. Shit like killing off Joel would be so obvious I'd hope they wouldn't go that route.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
Thank god people on Neogaf don't make executive decisions, dropping extremely successful IP's because you were satisfied with the story in the first entry is the worst reasoning.

You're going to get a sequel and you're going to like it. GOTY 2017 confirmed, brehs.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
Hnnnghhh, just thinking about a sequel makes me wet. So many possibilities. New characters, solo character
(grown up Ellie)
, the story revolving around a big community who are trying to start again (like that town in The Walking Dead).

tumblr_mc3hg5VpQP1qcy0p7o1_500.gif

Yep, same here. I don't get people saying TLOU is not fit for a sequel, the ending sets one up perfectly. The
grown up Ellie
scenario is kinda alluded to in the Grounded doc and has a lot of potential. Yep, the original story was incredible, but that doesn't mean it has to end there. I don't want it to either.

u_neek

Maybe in opposite world.

I trust ND with this as long as they don't reuse Ellie and Joel. Their story is done.
I agree. Could definitely see this work with a fresh cast of characters and a story set in the same world.

Servbot24

Banned
Agree with this. If anything I always appreciated how ND would basically have a clean slate with each new generation. Looks like this one will be the exception.

Actually last gen was the exception with 2 new IPs. Wouldn't be surprised if they do it again with a line up this gen of U4, TLOU2, new IP.

GlamFM

Banned
Not buying it will always be an option to those of you who don't want a sequel.

Nobody will force you but yourself.

Halcyon

In my mind Joel and Ellie will live through many adventures.

If they make a sequel I feel like Joel will immediately die. This makes me sad.

Before last gen they only made one new IP per gen. Last gen they made two. They aren't locked into developing a certain way.

Alchemy

I know they will, but I really don't want them to. The Last of Us was a great contained experience and doesn't need a sequel. Let it go out on top and make something new.

Needlessly adding on to an elegant, complete story because it'll sell lots of copies is worse reasoning. Creatively, anyway.

FHIZ

The only way I'd even begin to be okay with a potential Last of Us sequel is if it had nothing to do with Joel and Ellie. Let that story remain where it was left, there is no need to continue it. I don't need to be told what happened afterwards, just let me have my ambiguity.

djshauny

Banned
Makes sense to make another game. Id buy it day 1. And lets be honest, everyone who loved the original will aswell.

Different character would be nice aswell. Also, get rid of ellies voice actor. Shes overrated imo.

Nibel

Not sure why people are so negative; they can use the world with different characters, what's the problem here?

It sold about 7 million units, of course they will bring out a sequel that might top that.

Top Bottom