• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Naughty Dog has begun exploring ideas for The Last of Us 2

IKizzLE

I'm down for a sequel. Naughty dog can continue the story or create new characters. In fact, they can do whatever they want.

As long as it's good, I'm in there day 1. I'm not gonna tell these guys want to do.

DC1

Of course it's getting a sequel. It damn sure doesn't need one, but hey THE VIDEOGAME INDUSTRY!
LLShC.gif

There's no way they can capture TLoU's spark twice. Naughty Dog post Bandicoot is pretty bad at making sequels that live up to it's original imo
Uncharted 2
..I'm pretty someone beat me to it.

Edit:
O.O
I WASN'T beaten!

FTF

Of course it's getting a sequel. It damn sure doesn't need one, but hey THE VIDEOGAME INDUSTRY!
LLShC.gif

There's no way they can capture TLoU's spark twice. Naughty Dog post Bandicoot is pretty bad at making sequels that live up to it's original imo

I'm sorry, but Uncharted 2 is miles better than the original. And 3 is also better than 1. (I'm sure this has been commented on already, haven't read through the rest of thread yet though).

Also, PS3 + PS4 sales for this game could total 10m+. There is no way it's not getting a sequel. This is a business and there is high demand, etc, etc.

LLShC.gif

Huh?

Jak 2 & 3 > Jak 1
Uncharted 2, 3, and Golden Abyss > Uncharted 1
Last of Us > Uncharted series (by some people's estimation)

Who's to say that TLoU 2 wouldn't live up to the original?

Gartooth

I really don't want a direct sequel to this game. If they must, use a different cast of characters in a different location of the world to set itself apart.

LLShC.gif

lol da fuck? UC2 is 100x better than UC1.

It will probably have new characters and if they're as good as J&E who wouldn't want that?

Dragon

Banned
I have a sour opinion of Uncharted 2, and I believe Drake's Fortune is the best Uncharted in the series. Just like Jak and Daxter is the best Jak game.

By all measure of success, critically and fiscally, Uncharted 2 was an incredible success for ND. Your personal beliefs don't necessitate making a generalized statement about ND really.

StuBurns

Banned
Is there any multiplat game that sold over 7 million and never got a sequel? Or exclusive?
There are some, Minecraft, Wii Play, Golden Eye, etc.

I personally don't believe the 'Sony has to do it' argument. The fact it's a new IP is the proof in of itself that it's the talent that made it a hit, not the brand, and the talent is going to make another game anyway.

If/when TLoU2 comes, I think it will be because ND actually want to do it.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
Thank god people on Neogaf don't make executive decisions, dropping extremely successful IP's because you were satisfied with the story in the first entry is the worst reasoning.

It's the worst reasoning if you're the corporate entity selling a product. If you're a consumer who would like ND to take their talent in new directions, it's a perfectly defensible position.

HardRojo

It certainly doesn't need a sequel and there's a big chance it may detract from the IP's popularity but it's Naughty Dog and they've proved themselves during the PS3 era.

Possum

If this gets a sequel, I wouldn't want it to be a sequel to the characters.

Rather, I'd like to see something that serves as a continuation of the story of Earth, post-pandemic. Maybe even something that can be considered a definitive end of the world as a whole, whether it be through extinction of humanity or a cure for the virus.

And I wouldn't want to see the same characters again. If they owe us more of this world, then they owe us a completely new set of characters with a completely new set of circumstances.

Morts

Inevitable. The price of success.

While it isn't needed at all, there is plenty that they could still do in that universe. I just hope they leave the original story be.

Silky

Banned
By all measure of success, critically and fiscally, Uncharted 2 was an incredible success for ND. Your personal beliefs don't necessitate making a generalized statement about ND really.

Of course they don't. I respect Uncharted 2's hustle, and the fanbase that adore the game. From what I've played of the series, from 1 to Golden Abyss, I just think that the sequels can't create what Drake's Fortune made for me; a great action adventure.

There are some, Minecraft, Wii Play, Golden Eye, etc.

I personally don't believe the 'Sony has to do it' argument. The fact it's a new IP is the proof in of itself that it's the talent that made it a hit, not the brand, and the talent is going to make another game anyway.

If/when TLoU2 comes, I think it will be because ND actually want to do it.

Wii play has a sequel but truth is most games with a story when they sell so good get sequels .

Eddy Raja is my main.

Special golden kart? Hell yea, I'm in.

Naughty Dog hasn't disappointed me yet, with either story or gameplay, so I'm excited to see what they can do with a sequel to TLoU. I still think it doesn't merit a DIRECT sequel, especially with storyline, but it's be a pity for them to throw this world they have created away. So I second the idea to NOT use Joel and Ellie. As far as I'm concerned, their story stands alone fairly well with just the one game.

DC1

This whole 'it would be a disservice to people to not remake our game/make sequels' thing is really rubbing me the wrong way as PR tactic.
But they are rubbing me the right way.

They are in fact having a conversation about giving me something that I want. It would be a disservice to my gaming preference and financial sensibilities if the next entry in TLOU universe is not delivered by the close of 2016.

Considering the world created, the story and how it all ended up, a sequel could go anywhere.

If ND wants to do it, I say do it. Sequel would be awesome.

Auctopus

I think there are routes that ND can take to preserve the the first game, I just don't think those are the routes they will take.

Anyone here (who played) genuinely hate the Ellie's Story DLC?

Curious, because there were detractors prior to the DLC launching who said "Last of Us doesn't need story DLC. It's perfect as-is. No need to more storyline" and by all accounts the DLC was very well received.

The point is that ND knows their craft. It would be safe to say that they're the top cinematic storytellers in the game industry right now. If they opted to continue Joel and Ellie's story, so be it.

Tigress

No. Don't.

I want them to. I don't want them to make a story about Joel and/or Ellie, I agree, their story should be left as done. That doesn't mean there isn't a ton of other stories that can't be told in that world.

But for me it's not just the story I liked, I really liked the gameplay and how you played. And the environment and I would love to hear more stories from that world. And no, Uncharted isn't the same (and I think Uncharted fans would say the same, particularly the ones who preferred Uncharted to TLOU and were expecting an Uncharted with zombies).

Unsurprising.

To me, it felt really obvious that Neil Druckmann is pretty swell on the idea of continuing TLoU's universe. He's involved in the movie, he's doing direction for the live-action theatre stuff... And whenever he talks about the game, the post-mortem of it and whatnot, it really felt like there's a bit of unfinished business that he wants to close out, in both his ambition with the game as well as what he had to scrap in the process of writing the story. The whole
kinda like an origin story for Ellie
thing really makes me feel like he wants to
make a sequel with Ellie.

I would personally love to see a story in another part of world. Don't ever even touch in American soil. Show me how the UK, as a comparatively small contained island, handled this kind of outbreak.

I'm fine with Last of Us 2: just please, please, please don't make it about Joel and Ellie. There is nothing to be gained from picking up where they left off, or from another prequel ala Left Behind. Any prequel runs into the Star Wars problem: you know where everything ends up so it kills the tension of watching exactly how it got there.

There's no shortage of stories you could tell in that universe, don't be afraid to make new characters that can be just as significant as the originals.

I'm pretty sure that someone at ND said that if they did a sequel, it wouldn't have Joel and Ellie. I don't have source for that on me, though.

Which is fine- unlike ND's other franchises TLoU isn't a game that needs Joel and Ellie in order to still be TLoU.

DoomGyver

As long as The Last of Us 2 is in the same world, but with entirely different people, in different places and situations I'm okay with it.

Leave Ellie and Joel alone, ND. You hear me?

DC1

Curious, because there were detractors prior to the DLC launching who said "Last of Us doesn't need story DLC. It's perfect as-is. No need to more storyline" and by all accounts the DLC was very well received.

The point is that ND knows their craft. It would be safe to say that they're the top cinematic storytellers in the game industry right now. If they opted to continue Joel and Ellie's story, so be it.

Let it be so.

DNAbro

prequels will work. I think following the story up with that ending tarnishes what makes it so good.

hohoXD123

I have a sour opinion of Uncharted 2, and I believe Drake's Fortune is the best Uncharted in the series. Just like Jak and Daxter is the best Jak game.

Which isn't exactly a popular opinion so I'm not sure why you're trying to present ND's inability to make a good sequel as fact.

MMaRsu

Banned
I know it's coming. But please, Naughty Dog, if it has to come, promise me one thing.

*grabs Naughty Dog by the sweater collar*

PROMISE ME ONE THING. You won't. Reuse. Joel. And. Ellie. Say it so I can hear it! I need to know you can grasp this fundamental truth!

I think this is pretty much a given though.

Top Bottom