• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Senran Kagura: Shinovi Versus |OT| Life Returns to Vita

pariah164

ZvO40Vb.png

XzeGnRT.jpg

1) This game proudly flies under the NSFW banner.

2) This game contains information relevant to Senran Kagura Burst, so come in expecting spoilers for it all over the place.

KblVwfw.jpg

Developer: Tamsoft
Publisher: Marvelous AQL (JP); XSEED Games (NA); Marvelous AQL Europe (PAL)
Genre: Action, beat-'em-up
Release Dates:
- Japan: February 28, 2013
- North America: October 14th, 2014
- PAL: October 15th, 2014
Platform: PS Vita
Price:
- Digital: $39.99 (NA)/€29.99 (EU)
- Physical: $49.99 (NA only)
-"Let's Get Physical" Limited Edition
-- Physical copy of Senran Kagura: Shinovi Versus
-- 144-page Shinobi Syllabus (artbook and strategy guide)
-- 39 track soundtrack CD
Rating: ESRB - M for Mature/PEGI 16

So... What's the plot?

Senran Kagura: Shinovi Versus immediately follows the events of Burst, revisiting the fierce rivalry between the girls of Hanzō National Academy and their sworn enemies from Hebijo Clandestine Girls’ Academy, the latter of which have now gone underground and formed a mercenary strike team known as the Homura Crimson Squad. In addition to their old adversaries, the Hanzō girls must also face a whole new set of foes: the students of Gessen Girls’ Academy, who seek to punish them for their imperfections as shinobi warriors. Meanwhile, a new class is in session at Hebijo, and these students mean business: they oppose all three of the competing factions and will stop at nothing to be the last shinobi squad standing – even if it means leaving broken bodies and shattered dreams in their wake.

m6da2pj.jpg

bmbsMV1.jpg
FJvIn4V.jpg

ebmekb5.jpg
SuIN15U.jpg

OGq3yRW.jpg

The Hub

The Hub world, which are the girls' respective schools/hideouts, is where you can switch between characters, change clothes, or take on missions. You can also talk to your fellow teammates for little snippets of conversation.

Novel Sections

Upon taking a story mission, you are treated first to the story that pertains into it, a la a visual novel.

Fight Sections

Where all the magic happens, and the meat of the game. This is where the special attacks (and ripped clothes) fly. Whereas Burst was a side-scrolling fighter, Shinovi Versus is more freeform, allowing you more movement and more ways to use strategy and plan attacks.

There are three modes in which you can fight:

YIN

This is the mode used when the girls go Frantic, AKA strip down to their bikinis and go all out on their opponents. They have a very low defense, but an insanely high attack as a tradeoff. When Yin mode is fully maxed out, you gain access to a bevy of bonuses, including increased combo length and a longer combo timer, the ability to recover both your Health gauge and Ninja Art gauge by taunting, Yin moves, higher damage, more invincibility frames on your dash and an overall boost in attack power. Additionally, your Limit Break will only consume 5% of your health instead of 10%.

YANG

Yang mode is all about using Shinobi Transformations and Secret Ninja Arts. Maxing out your Yang affinity gives you access to longer combos, Yang moves, an extra Aerial Rave loop, enhanced damage and invincibility on your dash and auto recovery on your Health gauge and Ninja Art gauge. Making you an even tougher target to take down, you will no longer be stunned from being hit.

FLASH

Ironically, Flash mode is, well, not about the flash. You fight as you are in your school uniform, no bikinis or Shinobi Transformations needed. Fully unlocking Flash mode grants you higher damage and invincibility on your dash, faster building of your Ninja Art gauge, infinite Aerial Raves, increased timing to pull off a parry, an enhanced guard and an impressive 1.5x increase to both your attack and defense. If all of that wasn’t enough, maxed out Flash mode gives you increased experience and zeni.

Lingerie Lottery

Yes, you read that correctly. The game boasts an underwear lottery feature, in which you can win bras and panties for your waifu character of choice. In the case of normal coins, spending a higher amount increases the chances of getting a new type of underwear. Use a DLC coin, however, which you can purchase on the PSN Store, and you’re guaranteed to get something new.

When you customize your characters, you’ll be able to freely scale and zoom accessories, and designate where they’re coordinated in alignment to the character.

CsHgIAr.jpg

Naturally, a game like this has a multiplayer function, both local and over the internet. You can create or join rooms, and save your Fighter Profile. There are various battle modes to experience.

- A deathmatch type of mode, which is straight up fighting. Knock the other person out!
- A mode where the goal is to strip your opponent first.
- Panty Storm mode, a mode where you race about in an attempt to collect more underwear than your opponent.

Of course, costumes can be used in Multiplayer mode as well.

JfPj2t7.jpg

Videos

Release Date Announcement Trailer (NA)
Launch Day Trailer
Hanzō Academy Trailer (EU)
Crimson Squad Trailer (EU)
Gessen Girls video series: Yumi | Murakumo | Yozakura | Shiki | Minori
Hebijo Girls video series: Miyabi | Murasaki | Imu | Ryōbi | Ryōna

Screenshots

namokeI.jpg

Destructoid - 8/10
Battlescreen - 8/10
RPG Site - 8/10
JustPushStart - 8/10
PushSquare - 7/10
Hardcore Gamer - 3.5/5
CinemaBlend - 3/5 stars
PlayStation Lifestyle - 3.5/10

odfB0oS.jpg

Week of October 21, 2014
Shinovi Hairstyle Set - FREE
Costume Set 1 - $5.99/£3.69/€4.49/$6.75 (AUS)
Uniform & Thigh Highs - $1.99/£1.29/€1.59/$2.45 (AUS)
Gym Clothes - $1.99/£1.29/€1.59/$2.45 (AUS)
School Swimsuit - $1.99/£1.29/€1.59/$2.45 (AUS)
Uniform & Swimsuit - $1.99/£1.29/€1.59/$2.45 (AUS)
Japanese Dress - $1.99/£1.29/€1.59/$2.45 (AUS)

Week of October 28, 2014
Happy Halloween (Lingerie) - FREE
Character Set (Daidoji & Rin) - $5.99
Daidoji - $3.99
Rin - $3.99
Costume Set 2 - $5.99
Second-Rate Axe (not a weapon) - $0.49
Balloon Bundle - $0.49
Heart Chocolate Set - $0.99
Racing Outfit - $1.99
Business Suit - $1.99
Sexy Maid - $1.99
Dress and Hat Set - $2.49
Nurse Set - $2.49

Week of November 4th, 2014
Pure Colors Set - FREE
Pure Black - FREE
Pure Pink - FREE
Pure White - FREE
Mole - $0.49
Haruka's Ribbon - $0.49
Futomaki - $0.49
Parted Bangs - $0.99
Side Tail - $0.99
Top Knot Hair - $1.99
Costume Set 3 - $5.99
Bath Time - $1.99
Festival Happi - $1.99
Gi - $1.99
Traditional Shinobi - $1.99.
Sexy Devil Set - $2.49

Week of November 11th, 2014
Rainbow Panties - FREE
Helmet Set - $0.49
Accessory Set 1 - $0.99
Accessory Set 2 - $2.49
Antenna Set - $1.49

Week of November 18th, 2014
Accessory Set 3 - $0.99
Color Tile Set 1 - $0.99
47 Ronin Set - $2.49
Female Officer Set - $2.49
Mini-Skirt Santa Set - $2.49
Nun Set - $2.49
Costume Set 4 - $5.99

Week of November 25th, 2014
Camisole - $1.99
Fruits & Chocolate - $1.99
Kunoichi Outfit - $1.99)
Sexy Wedding Set - $1.99)
Costume Set 5 - $5.99

Week of December 2nd, 2014
Yumi Custom Lingerie ($0.99)
Wrapping ($1.99)
Wavy hairstyle ($0.99)
Turkey accessory ($0.49)
Reindeer Horns accessory ($0.49)
Lingerie Set 1 ($1.49)
Homura's Custom Lingerie ($0.99)
Hairstyle Set 2 ($1.99)
Drill Pigtails ($0.99)
Christmas Tree ($0.49)
Christmas Set ($1.99)
Christmas Candle ($0.49)
Christmas Bell ($0.49)
Braided Pigtails ($0.99)
Bebeby Plush ($0.49)
Asuka Custom Lingerie ($0.99)
Accessory Set 4 ($2.99)

MqIWGg4.jpg

Isn't the fanservice ramped up compared to the first game?

Yes. In addition to the extreme increase in the number of things the girls can wear, you have the ability to destroy all layers of clothing in battle, down to underwear. That said, naughty bits are censored.

Censored? Why?!

Because Japanese censorship laws.

Is there DLC?

See the DLC section. The best part is the DLC in this game can be used in Bon Appetit, as well. No need to buy that favorite costume twice.

Do we have a user list? I want to fight waifu wars other Life/Hometown lovers.

Yes we do! Quote to view it. Thanks to CureVylash.

Who's the best girl?

Hikage, of course.

0bzniYf.gif

Special thanks go to Sats (my not-waifu screencap and info guru), Smashkirby and Jennytablina for being awesome proofreaders for my first OT.

#TeamLife

Imouto

Banned
You can freely choose any school at your first play, right?

1) This game proudly flies under the NSFW banner.

Awesome OT, but I think you should make this one bigger. Like, way bigger before uninformed folk coming in and start complaining.
Who doesn't know what's the special trait of Senran Kagura anyway?

Still can't decide on best girl, but leaning on Hikage. I'm weak against green hair girls.

#TeamHometown

Yasumi

Banned
Nice OT. I thought the community section was only for OTs that have been floating around for a while? You should've posted it in Gaming to give it some more visibility. =P

pariah164

Awesome OT, but I think you should make this one bigger. Like, way bigger before uninformed folk coming in and start complaining.
Who doesn't know what's the special trait of Senran Kagura anyway?
I bolded it and highlighted the NSFW bit. If anyone complains, it ain't my fault.

Still can't decide on best girl, but leaning on Hikage. I'm weak against green hair girls.
Good choice. I've been a fan of Hikage since playing the Hanzo side of Burst. Once I played Hikage on the Hebijo side, I was sold. Somuch. Gessen and new Hebijo girls will have to do something really amazing to pull me away from her.

Nice OT. I thought the community section was only for OTs that have been floating around for a while? You should've posted it in Gaming to give it some more visibility. =P
Isn't the "gaming" section the place for new OTs? IIRC old OTs go to community section.
Sigh. Yes, I realized my flub up seconds after I hit the post button. If a mod could move it to gaming, I'd be most appreciative. Sob, my first OT...

2+2=5

The Amiga Brotherhood
Isn't the "gaming" section the place for new OTs? IIRC old OTs go to community section.

Hikage and Murakumo best girls(well alt least judging by screens and trailers lol)

bobohoro

Great OT.

But wait, DLC characters come with their own story mode? Well that might finally push me to go digital on my EU account, even if the LE is tempting.

Hugstable

Banned
About time for some more Yomi destruction! Finished up playing Burst about 2 weeks ago and I enjoyed the hell out of it.

pariah164

Your best bet would probably be to PM Duckroll or Stumpokapow.
PM'd Stumpokapow. Wheels are in motion, now I just have to wait. I feel like such an idiot.

Aaaanyway, this is going to be my second Limited Edition pickup ever, so I'm excited. First was Bravely Default.

Hikami

First Limited Edition pickup ever here, pretty excited.
I hardly know anything about the characters so I'll be trying them all out.
Miyabi is looking pretty cool to me though.

I skipped most of the OT since I don't want to spoil too much before I play it. don't hurt me
Btw add me on psn if you plan on getting this game :)? PSN: Makoto-Hikami

Zhao_Yun

Great OT!

Is there DLC?

A lot! There will be DLC for two additional characters with their own story modes, as well as new clothes, accessories and coins for the panty lottery. And the best part is the DLC in this game can be used in Bon Appetit, as well. No need to buy that favorite costume twice.

Oh well, seems like I'll have to pass up on the LE ;_; Don't want to change accounts all the time for this game.

Yeah, the two characters for me. I'm weak to alternate hairstyles though, so those might put a little dent in my wallet.

Ya the clothes are not really a draw for me. Hair would be cool, didn't now you could change that. Arrrg why is it still a week away!

pariah164

Ya the clothes are not really a draw for me. Hair would be cool, didn't now you could change that. Arrrg why is it still a week away!
XSEED feeds on our suffering.

Seriously, they're probably getting the packaging and whatnot ready, if it's not already shipped out. If my LE doesn't come in on release day, I may just lose my patience and buy it digital. Somuch hype.

I remember seeing some Shinsengumi costume that looked pretty cool, is this DLC too?

I would totally buy this if so.
I'm not sure, but I agree. Looks cool.

I remember seeing some Shinsengumi costume that looked pretty cool, is this DLC too?

Yeah, it's DLC and I think it came out late since I have the Japanese version of the game and $60 worth of DLC and I don't have that costume.

Really looking forward to the release of the game in English. I'm soo hyped I even pre-ordered two Copies just in case I'm able to convince a friend to like the series and give him a copy. :p

pariah164

Yeah, it's DLC and I think it came out late since I have the Japanese version of the game and $60 worth of DLC and I don't have that costume.

Really looking forward to the release of the game in English. I'm soo hyped I even pre-ordered two Copies just in case I'm able to convince a friend to like the series and give him a copy. :p
$60... To be fair, if Fantasy Life wasn't coming out this month, I'd do a DLC binge too.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Can't get here soon enough.

Has there been any word as to whether or not the DLC will be available at launch?

$60... To be fair, if Fantasy Life wasn't coming out this month, I'd do a DLC binge too.

I usually never buy DLC but Senran Kagura is an exception since the character customization is really good if you know how to manipulate the accessories they give you, for example, my Hikage has one red eye and a nose and belly button ring.

pariah164

I usually never buy DLC but Senran Kagura is an exception since the character customization is really good if you know how to manipulate the accessories they give you, for example, my Hikage has one red eye and a nose and belly button ring.
You must teach me your ways.

As for DLC, according to Tom:

We'll probably do a trickle-out scheme like with Akiba, where we release a little bit every week.
So there you go.

I'm just gonna post my ID for anyone who's getting this game. I've never played these games before, but for whatever reason I'm interested in trying this one. I got Burst on sale for 3DS, but realistically, I'm not gonna have time to play much of that.

PSN ID: NegativeCero

pariah164

Thread is in the right place now! Thank you, based mods.

Also, does anyone know if Gamestop's Street Date Guarantee extends to preorders made in store?

Hugstable

Banned
Thread is in the right place now! Thank you, based mods.

Also, does anyone know if Gamestop's Street Date Guarantee extends to preorders made in store?

Sweet we back in the gaming zone! This is like my first time having something preordered through Amazon so I wonder what day exactly my LE is gonna be showing up. I'm really excited though, and another 10 new shinobis to play with is awesome!

Great OT also Pariah!

Top Bottom