• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Winter Sale 2014 Hidden Deals Thread

Talyn

For an even more niche audience I'll note that the Complete Naval Combat Pack is $5.99 (80% off). That includes 688(i) Hunter/Killer, Sub Command, Fleet Command and Dangerous Waters. I can't really sell you on any of these, 688i is a classic sub sim, Sub Command is a more modern version of it and you're either into sub/naval sims or you're not. If you are, this is a good deal.

Coppanuva

Thanks for the thread, picked up 3 games from it. I also grabbed Theme Park Studio, it's on sale for 50% off (I think that's a high?). I was always curious at it and it sounds pretty cool, dunno if it's worthy of being in this thread but I'm up for it.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
ALRIGHT, I AM DONE. Reviewed every game under $5.99, exscluded a few due to extreme negative reception but price cheked most all of them, and checked a variety of more expensive titles as well, bundles, etc.

So the list is basically done, now free for use as I won't be adding any additions, though if you find a steal of a price feel free to post it here in the topic.

Hope it's all helpful

Speevy

Banned
ALRIGHT, I AM DONE. Reviewed every game under $5.99, exscluded a few due to extreme negative reception but price cheked most all of them, and checked a variety of more expensive titles as well, bundles, etc.

So the list is basically done, now free for use as I won't be adding any additions, though if you find a steal of a price feel free to post it here in the topic.

Hope it's all helpful

Can you name two or three that stood out to you as absolute steals for the price relative to the quality of the game?

Dusk Golem

Can you name two or three that stood out to you as absolute steals for the price relative to the quality of the game?

There's a list I'm going to update substantially tomorrow as I'm off for New Years things, but these are games I'm aware of from experience/GAF'ers/friends to be very good:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=145482457&postcount=197

As a horror fan, I'd recommend Silence of the Sleep, as a doujin shooting game fan, I'd recommend Gunhound Ex and Crimzon Clover WORLD IGNITION, off the top. There's others, of course, all are a lot cheaper than they usually are that I remember off the top.

Bebpo

Banned

Hope it's all helpful

Don't mean to bring down the effort you put it in, because it's certainly helpful, but I find these threads more helpful when there's at least a sentence about why each game is worth buying and a hidden gem.

Miker

Bionic Commando Rearmed for $2 is a steal.

- It's awesome
- Lowest it's ever been
- One of the best remakes ever made
- Play it with any controller you want because hey, it's on PC!
- It's awesome
- No GFWL or any bullshit
- It's awesome

autoduelist

Any hidden strategy gems? I looked at about 20-30 based on name, but burnt out on it. The best I found was Graviteam tactics, though at 4.50 wasn't the steal I was looking for.

Well, I've got enough from selling trading cards that I might as well buy a couple $1-or-less games...

How bad is Hydrophobia? Admittedly, I'd be buying it more to check out the water physics in action than for the actual gameplay.

I've played it twice, in both Prophecy and OG flavours. If you're expecting a coherent story, don't; Prophecy tacks on a bizarre ending created after it became clear the original plan of releasing future episodes wasn't going to pan out. That said, I thought the gameplay was serviceable, if not great, and besides being low-budget and unspectacular it's actually not bad. I'm not totally sure why the game has the shit reputation it does.

Dusk Golem

Any local co-op or online co-op gems there? No early access.

I see Bleed and Bionic Commando.

This I can answer as I play a lot of online co-op games, at least. I will add a few multiplayer games also which are fun, though. These are just a few I recognize off the top of my head:

100% Orange Juice 4-Pack - $8.99
^Basically a board game with RPG and Card Collecting elements. Has a ton of unlockables, use cards at the start of a turn or in a battle, it's fun laid-back fun with up to four people, but its online only.

Bleed - $1.24
^Bleed you mentioned, but I'm going to recommend it. Frenetic, fun, I haven't played the co-op but from playing the main game I'd imagine it to be insanely fun.

Croixleur Sigma - $3.99
^This is a RPG beat-em up, where you face tough enemies climbing a tower with two characters with different abilities. The local co-op is for 2 people, very fun from what I've played.

E.Y.E. Divine Cybermancy - $0.99 ($2.99 for a 4-Pack)
^This game is absolutely batshit crazy, has both local and online co-op. It has a lot of depth and just absolute strangeness to it, it's like a trainwreck but enjoyable so, and more so with friends.

Final Exam - $2.49 ($7.49 for a 4-Pack)
^Online and local co-op for 4-people. It's a side-scrolling beat-em-up based in the ObsCure universe. It suffers from some repetition (you visit a few levels multiple times, some same-y missions), but I say worth it at the price if you are interested in a beat-em up with an interesting combo system and multiple objectives so you and friends can either team up or split up to complete them.

GundeadliGne
^Online and local co-op for two people. It's a 90-120 minute long bullet-hell game with a variety of difficulties and characters. Pretty fun for what it is, has some NSFW stuff in it though.

ibb & obb - $5.99 (6.99 for a 2-Pack)
^Online and local co-op for two people. This one is REALLY good with two people, and designed around it. Basically you're in a surreal landscape, and can do a lot of dumb and fun stuff as you explore, complete challenges and levels, and overcome obstacles.

Joylancer: Legendary Motor Knight - $4.99
^I've not played this one co-op, but it has local co-op, and I can attest the main game is fantastically frantic and fun with a rather deep combat system and retro style.

Kane & Lynch 2: Dog Days
^Online co-op only, a really dumb but fun crime-based Chinese shooter, some NSFW content, but its really dumb fun with some gorgeous scenery, a few flaws, but enjoyable.

Ms. Splosion Man - $1.99
^Has online and local co-op, a unique campaign designed around co-op to play.

Outland - $6.69 ($10.71 for a 2-Pack)
^Fast-pased stylistic side-scrolling shooter for two people that is very high-pumped adrenaline and with fun battles.

Resident Evil 5 - $6.79
^Online and local co-op. A rather fun action-y horror game with a fun campaign designed around co-op, raising stakes, and over-the-top tales in Africa and viral outbreaks.

Son of Nor 4-Pack - $29.99 (4-pack is cheapest its been, single game more expensive)
^A bit more expensive and you said no EA, but I'm making an exception with this one as it goes out of EA in a month and will get more expensive then. You and up to three other people either online or locally have the ability to control Earth, Water, Fire, and Life, and must defeat ancient evils... There's also a lot of side-stuff to do, like Rock, Paper, Scissors, Gardening, and a lot more, actually a lot of fun.

There's definitely more on this list, but a few off the top.

therapist

Bionic Commando Rearmed for $2 is a steal.

- It's awesome
- Lowest it's ever been
- One of the best remakes ever made
- Play it with any controller you want because hey, it's on PC!
- It's awesome
- No GFWL or any bullshit
- It's awesome

-It also has a great soundtrack

Leatherface

header.jpg

Anyone play this yet? Looks pretty awesome judging by the video.

Well, I took the plunge and purchased Glare. It's a decent platformer with some interesting game mechanics, where light repels enemies and their bullets and you can finish them off by shooting them with your gun.

It starts off kind of slow/boring/easy, but gameplay picks up and ramps up in difficulty after the first level. It doesn't appear like it's super long (5 levels?), so I imagine you can beat it in several hours. After about 1 hour with the game, I'm on the 3rd level already. Also, the camera scrolling/movements remind me of Pandemonium. So, if you liked the camera movements in that, you'll be right at home with this. Also, a big pet peeve of mine is when a game is locked at 30 or 60 fps. As I'm playing my games on a 144 hz monitor, that's the last thing I wanna see. So, I'm happy to say that I'm running this game at a buttery smooth 144 fps.

Given its low price right now, I'd say it's worth picking up. At regular price, I don't think it would be worth it.

shandy706

What was/is that 2D/Overhead/isometric that looked like an awesome SWAT/Rainbow Six style game???

Was that a kick starter? Is it on Steam?

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
You people better buy Cook! Serve! Delicious! and Marlow Briggs and the Mask of Death.

Happy to see They Breathe on the list! Partly made by a GAFfer (ie me)!
It's really cheap now, so I hope more people give it a chance. :)
I liked your game a lot even though it was really short.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
You people better buy Cook! Serve! Delicious! and Marlow Briggs and the Mask of Death.

I liked your game a lot even though it was really short.

Yes, EVERYONE should go with Marlow Briggs. It's SO GOOD.

A little more than 25 hours to go on the sale for those wanting to make purchases.

I definitely do. I only bought Ground Zeroes on the first day (got a bunch of gifts and wins though, <3 you guys). Today I clicked on like 98% of your links in the hidden deals thread to check the games and added ones I liked to my wishlist. Then I went through my wishlist and did a quick re-ranking, and next would be making a short list and deciding on a budget :)

This is my first Steam sale.

Missed Ghostbusters, Trails in the Sky and Darksiders 2 :/

Still have a few in my cart and questions about them:

Cold Fear: is the PC port good?
The Long Dark: in early access, worth it at this stage?
Arma 2 Complete: mainly want it for DayZ, this or the standalone version?

Also getting MS Flight Simulator X

Dusk Golem

Cold Fears PC port is the best version of the game, and has improvements technically than the console versions, but I haven't figured out how to make the game run in Windowed Mode, and know if the game doesn't launch the issue I've found is the file res.bin in the Dteam game folder, deleting that should fix it.

I also will mention I enjoyed Cold Fear for what it was besides the ending.

I've heard nothing but positive things about The Long Dark from SteamGAF.

If you want DayZ mainly it'd probably be best to get DayZ, but the whole old mod version for DayZ is still available, and there's a variety of other fun mods out there for ARMA II.

Also removing GFWL in favor of Steamworks very shortly.

Yup, part of the reason I included it, there's a very high chance the game's Gold Edition content is going to be added to RE5 when they patch out GFWL (Lost In Nightmares, Desperate Escape, Mercenaries Reunion, Versus, New Costumes), and if like Street Fighter IV, the price of the game likely will go up once it's patched out with new content . Also on sale recently the first time in a while as Capcom doesn't put GFWL titles on sale. RE5 can be bought ever so slightly cheaper on Nuuvem, but the difference is a few cents really and might be more a hassle for some than others.

Tizoc

Isn't Darksiders 2 on sale over at gmg?

tjohn86

Cold Fears PC port is the best version of the game, and has improvements technically than the console versions, but I haven't figured out how to make the game run in Windowed Mode, and know if the game doesn't launch the issue I've found is the file res.bin in the Dteam game folder, deleting that should fix it.

I also will mention I enjoyed Cold Fear for what it was besides the ending.

I've heard nothing but positive things about The Long Dark from SteamGAF.

If you want DayZ mainly it'd probably be best to get DayZ, but the whole old mod version for DayZ is still available, and there's a variety of other fun mods out there for ARMA II.

Yup, part of the reason I included it, there's a very high chance the game's Gold Edition content is going to be added to RE5 when they patch out GFWL (Lost In Nightmares, Desperate Escape, Mercenaries Reunion, Versus, New Costumes), and if like Street Fighter IV, the price of the game likely will go up again once it's patched out with new content . Also on sale recently the first time in a while.

Man it would be great to get that RE5 DLC.

Miker

...there's a very high chance the game's Gold Edition content is going to be added to RE5 when they patch out GFWL (Lost In Nightmares, Desperate Escape, Mercenaries Reunion, Versus, New Costumes), and if like Street Fighter IV, the price of the game likely will go up again once it's patched out with new content . Also on sale recently the first time in a while.

Sorry to bother you, but is there a source for this?

Dusk Golem

Sorry to bother you, but is there a source for this?
No absolute source, outside of Capcom confirming Resident Evil 5 is getting patched out of GFWL in 2015 to a Steam-friendly network and DRM engine. Which in itself is not too surprising as RE5 is one of Capcom's all-time best selling games. However, the other game they patched, SFIV, patched out GFWL when they added the Ultra content, and a Capcom Rep confirmed RE5 was not going to get RE.Net support, but there may be a few other surprises when they patch the game.

Bry0

Happy to see They Breathe on the list! Partly made by a GAFfer (ie me)!
It's really cheap now, so I hope more people give it a chance. :)
I ought this game on a whim in the summer and absolutely loved it, that twist! The glennthefrog emote has become my steam trollface in honor of that story twist. I recommend this game for sure.

Miker

No absolute source, outside of Capcom confirming Resident Evil 5 is getting patched out of GFWL in 2015 to a Steam-friendly network and DRM engine. Which in itself is not too surprising as RE5 is one of Capcom's all-time best selling games. However, the other game they patched, SFIV, patched out GFWL when they added the Ultra content, and a Capcom Rep confirmed RE5 was not going to get RE.Net support, but there may be a few other surprises when they patch the game.

Hmmmmmmmmmmmm. I'm not sure that Ultra Street Fighter IV is a comparable situation, but I suppose we'll see. Thanks for the reply though!

Dusk Golem

Is the co-op in this playing through the same single-player content, but in coop, or is it a separate battles-only mode?
Not the story mode, but the content in the survival mode is basicaly identical to the story mode just with lack of story and a bit tougher. The story mode is rather short so you're not missing too much.

The two modes that support co-op are Time Trial & Survival, but there's also a battle mode that's not co-op, but supports two people.

Top Bottom