• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Winter Sale 2014 Hidden Deals Thread

rjc571

Banned
DeadCore looks really cool. Bought!

Never mind, it's arse. You have literally no spatial awareness from the first person perspective to dodge some of the obstacles the game throws at you. You might as well be playing blindfolded.

Also I'm not too picky about graphics, but this looks ATROCIOUS. Shadows are set to low but other settings are medium-high, resolution is set to 1920x1200 (but it looks to me like it's upscaled? Fake resolution settings?)

ukFNbrU.jpg

(EDIT: Looks like you need to set "post-process" to high to get anti-aliasing, but it still looks quite poor even with it enabled.

This is what it looks like with details/shadows/post processing set to high:
RagrI0q.jpg

)

It took all of 6 seconds for me to pick up Marlow Briggs for 99 copper Lincolns. I think that's a record for my fastest purchase without a second thought ever.

Jintor

Brothers wasn't one of my favourite games last year, but for $2 it's worth checking out (to say the least)

Thanks for the heads up on Hate Plus, been looking at that for a while.

Generally speaking, if you're a new PC gamer, browse the <$5 tab - there's a fucktonne of games in there that are absolutely worth your cash.

Card Boy

Banned
Violett - 81% off @ $1.89
Detective Case and Clown Bot in: Murder in the Hotel Lisbon - 75% off @ $2.49
Rise of the Triad (2013) - 75% off @ $3.74
AlternativA - 80% off @ $2.56
Ceville - 75% off @ $2.49
All Telltales games - 75% off (excluding the new stuff)
Blackwell Epiphany - 60% off @ $5.99 (other games are 70% off or 5.99 for the first 4 games)
Worms: Clan Wars - 75% off @ $6.24 (every other worms game is 75% off)
Soul Gambler - 75% off @ $1.24
The Abbey - 90% off @ $1.99
Voyage: Journey to the Moon - 75% off @ $1.24
Metal Dead - 66% off @ $1.69
Kane & Lynch: Dead Men - 75% off @ $1.74
Kane & Lynch 2: Dog Days - 75% off @ $2.49
Dustforce DX - 75% off @ $2.49
Dracula Trilogy - 90% off @ $1.49 (49c each for the first two games or 79c for the final game)
Tex Murphy Complete - 75% off or 75% off for each game except Tesla Effect.

Dryk

I believe you can get 2 Penumbra games for 2.49? Can't check because my phone is at 4%. Been looking at them myself.
Penumbra has a bit of mid 2000s mid-tier jank about it but it's a good series. If you want to spend your afternoon hiding in a shipping container while rabid, mangy wolves prowl around outside, then have to drag the mouse across the screen to swing a rusty hammer at them when you fuck up and they notice you, this is the game for you.

The third game is pretty disappointing though because it's basically just a series of challenge rooms.

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
thanks for this! already grabbed a couple mentioned in the thread

autoduelist

I'm really enjoying Breach & Clear (70% off, $4.49).

If you have the money, Door Kickers is supposedly the better game, but I'm having a blast with B&C. It's sort of like Frozen Synapse set in modern day -- there is even FS themed DLC missions/weapons.

Biggest issues - obviously made for IOS, though it mostly transfers over well. However, it's bare bones in implementation -- no way to 'pause' mid move, no easy way to sync actions by different characters, etc. Still, it's competent enough that taking on later mission set missions with really large, well defended fortress defenses on insane difficultly is fun as hell.

If it was the same price as Door Kickers, I'd definitely go for DK... but given I could actually afford this I'm glad I picked it up. At first I was disappointed at what it wasn't, but now that I'm in the thick of it I'm happy with it.

Mechazawa

Stealth Bastard Deluxe - 1.49

Noitu Love 2: Devolution - 1.99

I'll personally go to bat for both of these games. The first is a fantastic puzzle platformer with the quick-death, quick-restart style of play that seems to have perpetuated since Super Meat Boy. Although it's nowhere near as demanding in terms of reflexes. It's short, super palatable and has some legitimately funny moments done through the "words written on the environment" mechanic it cribbed from Splinter Cell: Conviction. Fantastic soundtrack too.

The second is a Gunstar Heroe's-esque beat-em-up with incredibly tight controls and level design. If Treasure made a mouse-based platform action game for the PC, this would be it. And that's not just lip service. NL2 isn't just an okay or decent game in a genre lacking on the PC, this game is real(although still in a genre lacking on PC).

Kuroyume

Banned
It ain't hidden but $1.99 for Ghostbusters is so good. And it's licensed so it could always go away.

Noitu Love 2: Devolution is kind of crapp imo... Yeah it tries to mimic Gunstar but it never even gets close. And I recall having technical issues like the game crashing and losing my saves.

eot

Banned
SpaceChem - 0.99€ (-90%)

Don't be turned off by the trailer, a video couldn't possibly show off this game. If you like puzzle games then just buy it, nothing to lose at that price and most people agree it's one of the best puzzlers ever.

Bl@de

Is the 1.01b patch for deadly premonition important? Was planning to get it on GOG but it's just patched to 1.01 there ... Some people say 1.01b is not that important. Help gaf :(

EDIT: Most importantly: Do you need 1.01b for DPFix 0.95 because it says "Various adjustments to improve compatibility with version 1.01b of Deadly Premonition"

Never mind, it's arse. You have literally no spatial awareness from the first person perspective to dodge some of the obstacles the game throws at you. You might as well be playing blindfolded.

Also I'm not too picky about graphics, but this looks ATROCIOUS. Shadows are set to low but other settings are medium-high, resolution is set to 1920x1200 (but it looks to me like it's upscaled? Fake resolution settings?)

I could not disagree more. Deadcore is one of the most fun games I've played recently. The first person movement is almost perfect and predictable which means after a while you will get the hang of it and calculate very precise jumps.

It certainly has that old style fps vibe which I personally love and reminds me how different a game created with the k&m in mind can be compared to all the modern slow as hell fps mechanics in recent multiplatform games. I can't stress this enough, this IS NOT a game suitable to gamepads, think of it as quake style movement mechanics.

Graphics are enjoyable, not the best out there but I thought it was good enough/functional at least. In terms of re-playability the speedrun mode was awesome for me and we even had some fun local multiplayer sessions with some friends trying to achieve faster runs.

Giran

King's Bounty: The Legend - $2.49
King's Bounty: Crossworlds - $3.74

These games are accessible even for people who are new to TBS and they're still great fun for veterans. Armored Princess is now obsolete, as Crossworlds has everything AP offers and more. You can also go straight for the Collector's Pack without any regrets but I figure if you like TBS games, you would've already done that. I can't recommend them highly enough.

Disciples II: Gallean's Return - $1.29
Disciples II: Rise of the Elves - $1.29

This is more for people who enjoy some of the newer TBS games and want to check out an older one that isn't just a "Heroes-like." Not sure if the Steam version of Rise of the Elves is standalone or not but it's a great expansion pack.

buffi

Banned
SpaceChem - 0.99€ (-90%)

Don't be turned off by the trailer, a video couldn't possibly show off this game. If you like puzzle games then just buy it, nothing to lose at that price and most people agree it's one of the best puzzlers ever.

This game is amazing.

I've bought it for full price twice (PC at release, and ipad at release), as well as for more than that once (limited signed edition that was on kickstarter or some crowdfunding site).

It's been in a shitload of bundles now though, but at 1$ there's really no reason to not get it.

It's truly a great puzzle game.

Kagemusha

Is the 1.01b patch for deadly premonition important? Was planning to get it on GOG but it's just patched to 1.01 there ... Some people say 1.01b is not that important. Help gaf :(

EDIT: Most importantly: Do you need 1.01b for DPFix 0.95 because it says "Various adjustments to improve compatibility with version 1.01b of Deadly Premonition"
GOG is an older version. Haven't tried it. I would recommend going for the Steam version if you want the fix. Even the Steam version with fix is jank. I think the controls are broken, both mouse and Xbox controller. I never played very far but others experienced crashes and found that changing from Vista to XP compatibility mode can get you past portions of the game that require you to look up.

Bl@de

GOG is an older version. Haven't tried it. I would recommend going for the Steam version if you want the fix. Even the Steam version with fix is jank. I think the controls are broken, both mouse and Xbox controller. I never played very far but others experienced crashes and found that changing from Vista to XP compatibility mode can get you past portions of the game that require you to look up.

Hmm sounds bad. In that case I pass for now. Don't have time for broken games with no support. Even if many people call it a hidden gem.

Top Bottom