• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shirobako |OT| I've come to bury moe anime, not to praise it (dir. of Blood-C, GuP)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Branduil

ie7Dm87yn2BAt.png

What is it?

AnimeNewsNetwork said:
A "shirobako" refers to the white box into which a finalized tape of a film is put, full of the effort of everyone who worked on it. Five girls have their eyes set on getting in a white box as they try to find success in the anime industry through writing, production, and voice acting.

Why should I care?

Shirobako shows the promise of being an unflinching look at the trials and tribulations of working in the anime industry, from the master of anime dramedy Tsutomu Mizushima.

Who is making it?

P.A. Works is producing the animation.

Director: Tsutomu Mizushima (Blood-C, Girls und Panzer, Squid Girl, Joshiraku)

Series Composition: Michiko Yokote (Genshiken, Princess Tutu, Joshiraku, various Cowboy Bebop episodes)

Animation Character Design: Kanami Sekiguchi (Hanasaku Iroha)

Where can I watch it?

You can watch it simulcast every Thursday on Crunchyroll at 11:30 EST.

Characters

Production Assistant
Aoi Miyamori (宮森 あおい)
Voiced by: Juri Kimura

A first-year production assistant at Musashino Animation. In her school days she was interested in animation, so she joined a club. But she graduated without a specific goal in mind, and came knocking to Musashino Animation. She's bright and cheerful, and always tries to stay positive. She dreams of one day making anime again with the friends she had worked with in school. Ema and Shizuka call her, "Aoi-chan", while Midori and Misa call her, "Oi-senpai". Her coworkers know her as "Miyamori". She loves donuts.

Newbie Voice Actress
Shizuka Sakaki (坂木 しずか)
Voiced by: Haruka Chisuga

Dreams of being a voice actress. She and Aoi were friends in high school, and made anime together. Though she was lucky enough to sign up with voice actor agency Akaoni Production, she has yet to make her debut. To bring that day closer, her daily life is spent training herself and working as a waitress at a pub frequented by Aoi and her friends. Ema and Shizuka call her, "Zuka-chan", while Midori and Misa call her "Zuka-senpai".

Animator
Ema Yasuhara (安原 絵麻)
Voiced by: Haruka Yoshimura

A key animator at Musashino Animation. When she was in school, she made anime with Aoi and the others. She seems serious, but if you get past her shyness she has a thoughtful side too. After working as an in-between animator for just a year and a half, she graduated to key animation. She's worried that she hasn't quite found an animation style that truly expresses herself. She admires the work of animator Horiuchi-san, from Naniwa Animation, who specializes in drawing daily life.

Aspiring Writer
Midori Imai (今井 みどり)
Voiced by: Hitomi Ohwada

An aspiring writer. Two years younger than Aoi, they made anime together as friends in school. She's currently in college. She's thinking that she wants to move into the world of anime after she graduates, but she doesn't see any opportunities. She's the type of person who, whenever she finds something that catches her interest, she dives into it wholeheartedly and tries to learn as much as she can about it. She talks like a sporty person. Her friends all call her, "Rii-chan".

3DCG
Misa Toudou (藤堂 美沙)
Voiced by: Asami Takano

Works at CG production studio Supermedia Creations. Aoi was one year senior to her when they worked together to make anime at school. Sensing the important role that CG has in the future of 2D animation, she joined this company. She's still learning in her company through trial and error. Aoi, Shizuka, and Ema call her "Mii-chan," and Midori calls her, "Mii-senpai".

Character profiles translated courtesy of sonicmj1(and duckroll)

Official Website: http://shirobako-anime.com/

Official twitter: https://twitter.com/shirobako_anime

Preview trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ZR6fCnPcvA

Full Staff List: http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/encyclopedia/anime.php?id=16189

Air date for new episodes: Thursdays at 11:30 EST

TheRancor

Shirobako 1
So much realism, I can't handle this.

Also, the CR subs messed up by calling the episode/unit directors as animation directors.

While there are already animation supervisors listed who are essentially the animation directors.

Branduil

Shirobako 1

Also, the CR subs messed up by calling the episode/unit directors as animation directors.

While there are already animation supervisors listed who are essentially the animation directors.

Yeah, I heard as much. Really unfortunate, because in a show like this it's actually important to understanding what each character's job is. I hope they correct these mistakes before episode 2 airs.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
If anime people work on anime is the work photorealistic in their world?

Having seen the first episode I definitely came away surprised that they were willing to show such a frank depiction of the anime industry as it exists. What starts out as a group of girls aspiring to get into the industry while being involved in their school's animation club quickly shifts into the harsh reality of actual anime development with all the deadlines, setbacks, and tension among the team that can seriously effect the overall quality of a finished episode. The large cast of characters is definitely a bit overwhelming but it served a narrative purpose. It's easy I think to deconstruct a major work into "Director", "Writer", and maybe notable actors and actresses but they've successfully driven that these productions are a team effort involving dozens of people home.

Wasn't expecting much going in but they've definitely hooked me, looking forward to more.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
This is good. Has potential to be the sleeper hit of the season depending on how deeply they explore the industry, or if they're going to end up recycling gags.

All the show really needs are clear character arcs so the audience can be invested in more than just the mockumentary elements.

duckroll

Shirobako 1

I don't think it's a mess up so much as an attempt to make the terms more easily understood to a general audience who aren't already in the know with regards to animation production. This show is not going to be easy to translate at all, so I don't envy the people doing it. Lots of technical terms, but at the same time it's a fast moving script with people just talking and doing stuff instead of stopping to explain it. The lines and on-screen text have to be easily understood without interrupting that flow.

While anyone who is familiar with anime credits would know what "animation director" means, for a normal person who has no insight at all into production, animation supervisor is definitely a better term imo. Translating unit directors as animation director is a bit more confusing, but it's worth noting that these days credits can include a literal "animation director" (in katakana) credit, which varies in role from production to production. In some cases such a role is closer to unit direction, while sometimes it's closer to the sakkan role.

I think if the show eventually shows what each job scope entails, it won't be an issue. The most important thing in the end is that people have a better understanding of the production process of anime from watching this show, and regardless of the specific terms being used, it's more important to know what the roles actually are.

They also translated Director of Photography as "Camera Director" instead of the preferred term "Composite Director", but again, I think that will be less of an issue once the show showcases what such a person does in the production.

tensuke

Glad to see there's an OT for this. Saw something about it and figured I'd give it a watch, the idea sounds interesting. Gonna start ep 1 soon!

Bombless

OP is missing the fact Aoi is the unofficial Drift Queen of Japan.

Loved the first episode. I'll have to watch it again at least once more to pay attention to the titles/positions of everyone however.

TheRancor

I don't think it's a mess up so much as an attempt to make the terms more easily understood to a general audience who aren't already in the know with regards to animation production. This show is not going to be easy to translate at all, so I don't envy the people doing it. Lots of technical terms, but at the same time it's a fast moving script with people just talking and doing stuff instead of stopping to explain it. The lines and on-screen text have to be easily understood without interrupting that flow.

While anyone who is familiar with anime credits would know what "animation director" means, for a normal person who has no insight at all into production, animation supervisor is definitely a better term imo. Translating unit directors as animation director is a bit more confusing, but it's worth noting that these days credits can include a literal "animation director" (in katakana) credit, which varies in role from production to production. In some cases such a role is closer to unit direction, while sometimes it's closer to the sakkan role.

I think if the show eventually shows what each job scope entails, it won't be an issue. The most important thing in the end is that people have a better understanding of the production process of anime from watching this show, and regardless of the specific terms being used, it's more important to know what the roles actually are.

They also translated Director of Photography as "Camera Director" instead of the preferred term "Composite Director", but again, I think that will be less of an issue once the show showcases what such a person does in the production.
Yeah I suppose it's less of a problem if they make it clear what each of the staff members do.

But having the names as animation supervisors and animation directors sounds weird to me when they are being portrayed as different roles while sounding quite similar. Though I understand most people will associate the word "Director" with well, the director I guess.

sonicmj1

Episode 1

This is pretty much exactly what I wanted it to be. That's a satisfying feeling.

First, from a technical perspective: PA Works has come a really long way in their use of CG backgrounds. Their work in shows like Angel Beats is practically a punchline among some users of the AnimeGAF thread, but here nearly every background is CG, yet it's tough to tell. That's awesome, because you know they'll be getting a ton of use out of the inside of this anime studio over the course of the show, and that frees up budget for use elsewhere. I even enjoyed the exaggerated Initial D-esque CG car chase.

I like the storytelling so far, too. The typical anime series with this premise starts and finishes in the first three minutes, and then it drops into the much less idealistic present like a dive into cold water. Shirobako has a massive cast, and given how unfamiliar most viewers probably are with the anime production process, you'd expect the show to start slowly, perhaps on the protagonist's first day when they're being introduced to people or something. Instead, by starting with the airing of the first episode, they throw us right into the thick of a hectic production process just a few missteps away from total collapse. It's a lot to take in, with tons of names and jobs passing by onscreen for just a few moments.

Luckily, we're in expert hands here, so it doesn't descend into utter chaos. The strong character design helps, but the key is how the showrunners have a good grasp on what their main storyline is, and manage to keep focused on it while giving us a sense of how many other things are happening at once through brief moments like the morning meetings. It's not a laugh-out-loud funny show, though it has its amusing moments (like the confusion, panic, and uselessness of Takao, the inept production assistant), but it trusts in the inherent attraction of the subject matter and our empathy for the characters to make this story work, without relying on gimmicks. There are a lot of subtle touches in the writing that they have room to expand on later (like Aoi's discomfort with the casual sexual harassment surrounding the female key animator).

I'm really excited for more.

Tizoc

Will give it a watch but the thread title and then seeing moe eyes...
At least the concept is interesting.

Haly

It's misleading. The first episode starts with 5 girls in a high school club talking about their dreams to go into various subfields in anime production, and its set up as a "cute girls doing cute things" kind of show, but, surprise! Four minutes in, the anime time skips to 2.5 years later when they're all college aged and already trying to break into the industry, so there's no high school bullshit for the most part. It's just fast paced anime production drama.

Basically they're trolling you.

First episode was definitely a very pleasant surprise. I'm interested to see where the show goes. It looks like it's going to have a very 'real' look at what the process of making anime is like. I hope they can really continue to get into the nitty gritty of it over the course of the show.

One thing I really liked about the first episode was that there was a real attempt to show both the highs and the lows, rather than just focusing on either the positive or the negative. We see the exhilaration of the first episode airing, but also the stress and near catastrophe of the missing key animation for the third episode.

Daft_Cat

Is moe part of the point? Like is the style feeding the general meta nature of the scenario?

It's not that I think the character designs are bad, but moe generally isn't my thing. Even Hanasaku Iroha is a bit too "wide eyed" for me, and that's not even full blown moe.

I'm willing to give it a shot here if the show is worth it... The concept is really interesting, but I guess I just wish PA Works would stick closer to the style of Eccentric Family.

Tizoc

It's misleading. The first episode starts with 5 girls in a high school club talking about their dreams to go into various subfields in anime production, and its set up as a "cute girls doing cute things" kind of show, but, surprise! 4 minutes in, the anime time skips to 2.5 years later when they're all college aged and already trying to break into the industry, so there's no high school bullshit for the most part. It's just fast paced anime production drama.

I was planning on catching up with Steven Universe tonight when I got home, but this just shot up to the top of my list of 'to watch while munching on my dinner'.
Thanks for the info, looking forward to watching this more now.

duckroll

Didn't post impressions earlier, so here they are!

Episode 1

I really like how they opened with the typical "girls in a high school club want to make anime" scenario which would normally have been the entire series, and wrap that up simply as a prologue - setting the actual show in the real industry with working adults.

The show itself seems pretty fantastic. There are obvious signs that this is a Mizushima show - there's that surrealist wackiness that kicks in from time to time which is really funny and entertaining. It's a good reminder that while the show deals with a real industry with somewhat real situations and a lot of inside baseball nods and winks, it's also a comedy drama show which isn't meant to be taken completely seriously.

For a show about actual anime production, making the main character a production assistant is a fantastic idea. It's an entry level job which also interacts with the entire gamut of the production staff, and follows the development of episodes from beginning to end. There's really no better way to allow the audience to follow a character with lots of room for growth, while also focusing on teaching them more about every aspect of how a show is made. Mmmm. Can't wait to see more.

Crocodile

Shirobako 1

I dunno if this will be able to keep my interest for 24 episodes (what kind of scenarios can they devise to make the series last so long?) but this intro episode was pretty great. A MUCH stronger opening that this director's last work (Girls und Panzer) which caused me to fear a moe overload that was delightfully subverted :) Felt both informative and somewhat realistic. That drag race was weird though. Were they competing companies using the same key artists?

Is this an original work or based on a manga/LN/whatever?

Shirobako 1

I dunno if this will be able to keep my interest for 24 episodes (what kind of scenarios can they devise to make the series last so long?) but this intro episode was pretty great. A MUCH stronger opening that this director's last work (Girls und Panzer) which caused me to fear a moe overload that was delightfully subverted :) Felt both informative and somewhat realistic. That drag race was weird though. Were they competing companies using the same key artists?

This is anime-original.

Bombless

Shirobako 1

She's probably freelance and since the only limit is time, first come, first served.

FluxWaveZ

Gave it a shot because of the premise, despite the pictures representing it and main cast being an immediate turn off. I liked it. Kind of hard to follow certain things as I'm not really that familiar with the inner workings of the anime industry, but it reminded me of Space Brothers in certain ways, and it wasn't obnoxious or "moe" (not even sure what that means anymore), so I'll probably stick with it.

Kite

The first episode reminded me heavily of this older show called Animation Runner Kuromi with some crazy driving sequences from Initial D and You're Under Arrest. Kuromi was a much more comedic take on the job and anime industry.
AQrqKUr.jpg

Episode 2:
This show is just incredible. The production is excellent, and the story is really strong through the first two episodes. Once again we have a very interesting look at the process of making anime, and we expand things further via looking at the process of the voice recording. We can see the professionalism of the voice actors as they dub their lines and give different readings to find the best one, and watch the director and other supervisors trying to figure out exactly how to make things sound right. There's also a look at how the production could be running off the rails. After the first episode was done two weeks in advance, the third episode is now just ready a few days in advance, and things are on the verge of disaster, and that's before the director decides to go back and redo stuff, change aspects of how the characters are drawn and more (while still not sure how the final episode will end). But the director is also a passionate guy who I can really get behind. You can see how deeply he cares for the show, and we get an uplifting look at the creative process, especially as everyone comes together towards the end and collaborates on how to make the characters work. Even Yamada, who had been firmly opposed to the director, manages to bond with him. So even as we see the production threatening to run off the rails, we can also see how much most of the people involved in the show care about putting out the best product they can.

I'm also really impressed with Aoi, who is just fantastic as our protagonist. She's a great viewpoint character to have in the way that she can interact with just about every aspect of production, and her character is really starting to shine. She's asserting herself a little bit and proving her worth to people around her, and her discussion about the likes and dislikes of the characters was a good jumping off point for everyone involved.

The production is also a very slick one. This is a nice looking show with some strong animation and really outstanding art. It's just a very pretty show to look at. The music is also pretty good. When coupled with the subject matter and the strong writing on display, I really feel like we're looking at one of the best anime in at least the last year plus. If Shirobako can keep this up, it will be something really spectacular.

Branduil

Shirobako 2

Wow, that was even better than the first episode. I love how this episode helps you understand the enthusiasm that pushes people in the anime industry to wreck themselves making dumb moe anime. It was really funny, yet believable and inspiring at the same time. Based Mizushima.

Haly

It's a wonder how anime ever gets made when production meetings go like this.

On the other hand, this explains very well why 99% of anime is shit.

SHIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIT.

sonicmj1

Shirobako 2

This is way too real, especially in light of actual director Mizushima's production history on Girls und Panzer, a show that had two recap episodes during its televised run. When a show is being put together as it airs, there's not a lot of leeway to make changes mid-run, even if a good idea strikes.

What impressed me the most this episode was the way that late-night production meeting, stacked with characters, circled and wheeled around the points they were trying to discuss. That kind of chaos is probably tough to get right, but it captured all the whirling creative energy in the room, with everyone trying to mesh their different views of what the anime was supposed to be into one. And then it all sort of comes together.

It's really great so far. I wonder how far Aoi's raw enthusiasm can take them.

jman2050

I'm totally in love with this show and I can't wait to see what kind of story it tries to tell.

Anime industry sounds like a rather passionate field of work, to say the least.

Crocodile

Shirobako 2

The most amazing thing about the show is despite how crazy some of the happenings are, I can 100% believe these are real conversations that real human beings had and continue to have in animation production. The director's meeting almost moved me to tears in laughter. The way the music adds to the dread during the dubbing scenes and the inspiration during the director's meeting was also on point. Even two episodes in, I'm pretty sure this is the best "cute girls do thing X" Japan has ever made.

duckroll

Episode 2

This is going to be an amazing series. Mizushima is a very experienced director in comedy and character interactions, so it's great to see him tackling an inside baseball series like this. I'm really happy with how it has turned out so far. I just hope that while telling a story about the reality and horrors of anime production, they don't fall too far into the same problems they're dramatizing. Lol.

One thing I really liked about this episode was how the older guys and the director were designed and animated. There's something strangely appealing about well animated characters who aren't of a "standard" look. Having chubby physiques and wider chins makes a lot of those close-ups really unique looking. Usually characters like that are more common in movies than TV series, probably because they're harder to draw.

The in-joke with the VA names was hilarious too. :p

striferser

Huge Nickleback Fan
Episode 2
Another solid episode. I like the chaotic scene during the meeting. It really show the struggle of making anime. Mad respect to the guy. My complaint is probably too many character introduced at once. I have hard time memorizing them.

I still hate that mohawk guy.

Caesnd

Shirobako isn't bad, but at the same time I feel like it could strive to be a lot more than what it is.

The show doesn't really offer much of interest besides the basic premise, and if that is already mostly acknowledged then it is hard to keep on watching.

I keep wondering if there could have been a more interesting way to present the idea of going behind the scenes of production. For now, it seems almost like they don't really care that much, as long as they get to show as many aspects of their work as possible.

I'm not sure what you mean by this.

The way they go through the production process comes across a little bit like checking things off a list. This is hard to circumvent when you set out to make a show about making shows, but I don't think it is impossible. As it is, the humor element is not strong enough to offset that feeling for me personally. If one already has even some basic knowledge of process and the standards of living for the people involved, then it doesn't feel like there's much left to get out of it.

If you're not enjoying it, that's fine, but I don't think saying that they don't really care that much is way off base. There's so much care being put into Shirobako that it's kind of blowing my mind. The show looks gorgeous, it's well directed, and the writing is really strong and putting a lot of work into showing a variety of different aspects of the production as well as all of the personalities involved. The pacing has also been incredibly tight. I think there's clearly a lot of love being put into this show from everyone who is working on it.

Yes, it was perhaps strongly worded. I do think they care, a lot even. To think anything else would be highly ironic, given what the show has tried to convey so far.

However, as for the direction and art etc, I can't say I agree. I think the direction so far has been well done but nothing special. The art is fairly generic and the characters are not very interesting by themselves. They simply can't be too colourful lest they steal too much attention from the overall information implicated throughout the episodes. Even so, I think things could've been done differently, although I'm going to be purposefully vague once again as to how.

terrisus

It's misleading. The first episode starts with 5 girls in a high school club talking about their dreams to go into various subfields in anime production, and its set up as a "cute girls doing cute things" kind of show, but, surprise! Four minutes in, the anime time skips to 2.5 years later when they're all college aged and already trying to break into the industry, so there's no high school bullshit for the most part. It's just fast paced anime production drama.

So this is a moe anime then?

Since, you know, that speech by Mark Antony that contains the line the title of this thread is based on does praise Caesar.

sonicmj1

The way they go through the production process comes across a little bit like checking things off a list. This is hard to circumvent when you set out to make a show about making shows, but I don't think it is impossible. As it is, the humor element is not strong enough to offset that feeling for me personally. If one already has even some basic knowledge of process and the standards of living for the people involved, then it doesn't feel like there's much left to get out of it.

It doesn't feel that way to me at all.

At this point the cast is so packed that it's hard to get too deep into specific characters. But I think the episodes so far haven't just been focused on the process of how an anime is made, but on the challenges people run into along the way, and on that inevitable clash when producing anything between passion and reality. All the arguing in episode 2 exemplified that to me, when all these people with different backgrounds, ideas, likes and dislikes came together and found the possibility of some common ground that'd let them finish the work with a unified vision.

Overall, this show's strength will depend on how much they develop the individual characters alongside the production of the anime they work on, but I love how it's written so far. I know enough about a lot of the people in the studio that I want to see them succeed, like a lovable underdog sports team.

Caesnd

It doesn't feel that way to me at all.

At this point the cast is so packed that it's hard to get too deep into specific characters. But I think the episodes so far haven't just been focused on the process of how an anime is made, but on the challenges people run into along the way, and on that inevitable clash when producing anything between passion and reality. All the arguing in episode 2 exemplified that to me, when all these people with different backgrounds, ideas, likes and dislikes came together and found the possibility of some common ground that'd let them finish the work with a unified vision.

Sure, but I feel that in creative production, that is a fairly usual aspect of the process :)

Overall, this show's strength will depend on how much they develop the individual characters alongside the production of the anime they work on

I think so too.

My initial ramblings aside, I do think the show is very well made. It's just that nothing has really made invested into it so far, and I really want to be.

Yes, it was perhaps strongly worded. I do think they care, a lot even. To think anything else would be highly ironic, given what the show has tried to convey so far.

However, as for the direction and art etc, I can't say I agree. I think the direction so far has been well done but nothing special. The art is fairly generic and the characters are not very interesting by themselves. They simply can't be too colourful lest they steal too much attention from the overall information implicated throughout the episodes. Even so, I think things could've been done differently, although I'm going to be purposefully vague once again as to how.

I have to disagree with this. I think it's a very nice looking show. The art is really eye catching and pretty detailed, and the movements of the characters are really fluid. I also think pretty much every character has a really distinctive look. It's not the most unique looking show ever made, but it looks pretty good on every level. The production has been a really slick one, with consistent direction and really strong music. I think the scene that made up the final part of the second episode with everyone in the room debating about the characters is a real testament to this. The music sets the scene well, and although the scene basically consists of a bunch of characters sitting around and arguing, it's always very interesting to look at, with the facial expressions, the movements of the characters arms, and more all really contributing to the tension of the scene and building up to the climax.

Because it's on an airing schedule, like everything else on TV.

Why not have it done and then release it according to the schedule?

It's not like they audition with a pilot episode like sitcoms and dont know if someone will buy a season of it. I can understand the long running weekly's, but I dont see why they can't hold off a couple of months while they complete a 1-cour and then air it if there's going to be multiple recap eps and QUALITY moments due to production issues.

Is there an article about the process that explains this somewhere? I tried googling before I asked here

PK Gaming

Still trying to wrap my head around the Exodus anime.

The protagonists are idols that... fight supernatural crime? And they're supposedly in their 20s yet look like teens?

Hmm

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom