• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

‘The Walking Dead’ – Season 4, Part 2 – Sundays on AMC

Status
Not open for further replies.

Westraid

Good episode, glad that the series are back. Kinda hoped we'd get to know where the others were, but it was probably better to just spend more time on less characters.
It was nice to get to know more about Michonne. I haven't read the comics so I don't know anything more than the show lets me know, though the flashback thing was a little confusing here and there. Scenes with Carl and Rick were really good. ....Didn't really want to see Hershel like that though. :(

Biggest surprise was that there is such a thing as canned pudding?

Not bad. I glad they got Carl's "I'M THE MAN"-shtick out of the way, and made him realize he's still just a stupid kid. Michonne's background was interesting too. Rick's shit-eating grin at the end of the episode was priceless.

I thought the episode was ... only ok. I went through looking for a "gif" moment but apart from the door there just isn't a lot happening.

I know Carl's behavior is realistic and justified...but that doesn't stop it being pretty uninteresting TV. If anything, characters acting exactly like they should in a given situation is often the worst thing to do...because I can already picture all that in my mind.

I just don't know any more. It is only the first episode of this half of the season...sure. But I feel like I've been here so many times with the show. "It should get good from here"... "they are building to something..."

I think I'll give it a few weeks and then marathon three or four episodes. If it does go somewhere then all is good. If it doesn't, I think I'm done.

Lachie007

Can't believe we waited 2 months for this and there was no sign of lauren cohen. What a Joke. haha

Overall i was pretty happy with this ep, liked seeing more of michonne and her back story but
seeing hershel's zombie head was fucked up though - loved that old dude!

cameron

I can appreciate what they were trying to do with Carl, but it looked really cheesy on screen. I'm glad they got it all out in one episode.

The zombie stuff was quite lame as always. They're fine as background noise and I wish they kept it that way. It was over the top this episode: Michonne's zombie herd; Carl moon walking into a zombie; foot fetish jump scare zombie; "braaaaains... no I mean... Cooooorl" zombie. Give me a break.

Hopefully the entire season isn't a friend finding/reunion mission.

I can appreciate what they were trying to do with Carl, but it looked really cheesy on screen. I'm glad they got it all out in one episode.

The zombie stuff was quite lame as always. They're fine as background noise and I wish they kept it that way. It was over the top this episode: Michonne's zombie herd; Carl moon walking into a zombie; foot fetish jump scare zombie; "braaaaains... no I mean... Cooooorl" zombie. Give me a break.

I'm predicting the group will be together by the end of next week, and otherwise the episode after that.

y2dvd

Exactly how I felt. I actually liked a lot of the slower episodes in 4a and even I thought this episode was on the slow side. I wish they gave some reasons to Coral's actions so he doesn't seem like such an idiot. Like why and where was he leading those two zombie towards? Or why check out the upper floor when all you should really be concerned with is food and water in the kitchen? If it was to check for medicine, give us a two second shot of him scavenging for it in the restroom after locking up the zombie in the room. Instead, we were rewarded with him eating pudding on the rooftop.

I could've sworn Michonne said before it took weeks for the first zombies she was carrying to become passive after removing their arms and jaws, but the new ones immediately became passive which was inconsistent. Her dream sequence was weird to follow, but I had weirder dreams so that's forgiven lol.

At this point I'm nitpicking.
Rick saying the zombie at the bar was weak. I was just thinking right before he said that that the zombie was pretty damn big lol.
Can we get some super crimson 28 Days Later running zombies soon?
"Zombie" Rick was contrived. They should had Rick gasping for water. Would've explained why he was struggling and had to reach out like that.
Michonne knocking on the door unannounced. I think it's pretty established that other humans are enemies first. What if Rick and Coral accidentally wounded her thinking it was a stranger? I'll give Michonne the benefit of the doubt that she was just exhausted at that point but little things like that irks me.

Ends rant. Anyways, not a bad episode but not a good one to lead season 4b.

Lothar

Banned
I just don't understand why people think this way when characters act realistic. Carl is literally the Laurel of TWD-GAF or however you pronounce your GAF name

I don't think it's realistic for a son who just saw his father lose his baby daughter to tell him "I hate you, I wish you were dead." If anything, tragedy should have brought them closer together. That's only realistic for the same kind of shitstain of a teenager that would tell a woman who just lost her daughter that she's not in heaven and she's an idiot if she thinks she is.

Carl wasn't angry with his dad at the end of the last episode. It's bizarre behavior for him to turn and not give a shit if his dad lives or dies at the start of this one. Yeah, earlier in the season he hated his dad for being incompetent, but we were led to believe Carl was now past that and that he grew up during Season 4A. It's unimaginable for him to still be this immature after everything he's been through. Also, after that moment where he and his dad fought zombies together, and his dad trusted him with a gun, he realized that his dad really respected him and he respected him back. Why in gods name is there now a retread of that storyline? Even if it was realistic, it's incredibly boring and it's dumb to go back over old ground. It actually even takes away from that great moment in 4A knowing that it meant nothing.

jond76

Banned
Good episode. Glad to see some new scenery. Also glad that Michonne found Rick and Carl by the end.

I was expecting to see Herschel's head since we saw the equivalent in the comic.

great start, glad its back on.

MXRider

Can't believe we waited 2 months for this and there was no sign of lauren cohen. What a Joke. haha

Overall i was pretty happy with this ep, liked seeing more of michonne and her back story but
seeing hershel's zombie head was fucked up though - loved that old dude!

Didnt you watch the preview for next episode? She was in there for a few seconds.

Iadien

Guarantee I'm going to screw up this post? Yeah.
The episode was pretty boring imo, but hating on Carl for acting like a teenager, that's silly. That's how teenagers are without a ton of horrible shit going on around them.

jond76

Banned
looks like glen got left at the prison according to previews. And he's weak from being sick... That ought to suck. Can't wait for next week!

slit

Good first episode, although after the prision cliffhanger no matter what followed would be somewhat of a let down.

I hate Carl. He's annoying and I wanted the zombie to eat him.

Choked up when Carl couldn't pull the trigger and gave up. Real great moment when he realizes Ricks still alive and that he still needs his father.

dorkimoe

People find this episode to be boring?

Jesus. I bet people hated Clear as well.

i didnt find it boring at all. I honestly could watch them clear houses all the time. I love the survival aspect. However..see post above yours. Kids ruin every tv show ever

I honestly can't believe people liked that episode. It was one of the worst hours of a television show I think I've ever seen and I've watched a shit load of television in my life. The Michonne dream sequence alone was so bad I had to pause it and pour myself a drink. The acting from everyone involved was absolutely terrible. By the end of the episode I was trying to figure out how they managed to lower the bar even further. I didn't even know that was possible.

I honestly can't believe people liked that episode. It was one of the worst hours of a television show I think I've ever seen and I've watched a shit load of television in my life. The Michonne dream sequence alone was so bad I had to pause it and pour myself a drink. The acting from everyone involved was absolutely terrible. By the end of the episode I was trying to figure out how they managed to lower the bar even further. I didn't even know that was possible.

I enjoyed it even if it was a bit slower in pace but yeah I felt like all the actors were a bit out of their depths in some of these scenes which kind of takes you out of the show. I'm also frustrated that zombies are almost no threat at all to Michonne. I get that she's good with a katana but come on I wouldn't be surprised if she just saunters through a herd of thousands of them unscathed

BBboy20

Never watch Sword Art Online if you don't want to know what the true face of evil is.

JB1981

It was awful. Easily the worst episode of Walking Dead I have ever seen.

Dysun

Average episode, didn't feel too positive or negative about it.
Riggs acting is definitely lolworthy at times, "WAKE UP WAKE UP"

Highlight was seeing Michonne slice and dice, and her nightmares

slit

People find this episode to be boring?

Jesus. I bet people hated Clear as well.

Some people are going to complain about every episode no matter what. There are some that absolutely hated the mid-season finale. I absolutely loved it!

While this was not my favorite episode or anything, I enjoyed it. I enjoyed seeing Michonne showing emotions and being able to have a glimpse into her past. While I am no Carl fan by any measure, I liked how the episode really showed that in the end, he is still just a kid no matter how tough he tries to act. I also don't think the way he acted was unrealistic or anything. It is not uncommon for a child/teenager to blame a parent when something horrible happens as a coping mechanism and mood swings are pretty common at that age (at least in my experience). It was also interesting to see an episode that was pretty much almost a direct adaptation to the comic, something we really haven't seen since the first episode of the show.

Overall, I though it was a decent way to open up the mid-season premiere. Not sure what the people who hated the episode expected to see. Not every episode can have an entire prison complex destroyed and people dying, nor should they be. I do hope they don't drag out everyone being separated for a long time though.

Aggrotek

Some people are going to complain about every episode no matter what. There are some that absolutely hated the mid-season finale. I absolutely loved it!

This.

I think that Carl needed some screen time. This episode will probably set the tone for his character for the rest of the series.

This episode went from "Fuck you dad, I don't even care that you're maybe dead because I'm a man" to "DADDY HELP ME PLEASE" way too quickly. Not to mention, Chandler Riggs can't act at for shit. Didn't care for it at all.

double jump

you haven't lived until a random little kid ask you "how do you make love".
I enjoyed it.
made everyone seem more human.
Rick passing out from exhaustion. Carl realizing he's still a kid. Michonne struggling to find her humanity.

the dream sequence had some horrible chemistry and acting though.

This episode went from "Fuck you dad, I don't even care that you're maybe dead because I'm a man" to "DADDY HELP ME PLEASE" way too quickly. Not to mention, Chandler Riggs can't act at for shit. Didn't care for it at all.

Kids tend to say things they don't really mean when they are scared/angry/grieving.

Special surprise guest on Talking Dead!

Cljm3QB.jpg

I loved the episode, it left such a feeling of devastation and isolation. Seeing zombie Hershel just destroyed me.

having children trying to survive in a world as bleak as TWD should be absolutely nerve-racking and all around tragic, but I just don't feel it with Carl (or this show in general- even when Sophia was around). I know what they are (and have been) trying to do, but I just don't think it has the same impact because I can't help but feel he has unbreakable plot armor.

I'm simply not afraid for his well-being. Same with Rick. Last night's episode was a perfect example. Put Carl's bumbling antics in almost any other popular zombie/infected fiction and he gets destroyed.

Something like Game of Thrones is on the other end of the spectrum. Child characters like Arya and Sansa & the situations they are in make me feel terrified for them. That's likely a combination of great acting and writing, but for Christ's sake... TWD is a zombie apocalypse. People are constantly dying, most times in horrible ways, and there is basically nothing left in the world that would allow a kid to just be a kid. I should feel a lot worse for this kid's situation than I do. :/

Aggrotek

having children trying to survive in a world as bleak as TWD should be absolutely nerve-racking and all around tragic, but I just don't feel it with Carl (or this show in general- even when Sophia was around). I know what they are (and have been) trying to do, but I just don't think it has the same impact because I can't help but feel he has unbreakable plot armor.

I'm simply not afraid for his well-being. Same with Rick. Last night's episode was a perfect example. Put Carl's bumbling antics in almost any other popular zombie/infected fiction and he gets destroyed.

Something like Game of Thrones is on the other end of the spectrum. Child characters like Arya and Sansa & the situations they are in make me feel terrified for them. That's likely a combination of great acting and writing, but for Christ's sake... TWD is a zombie apocalypse. People are constantly dying, most times in horrible ways, and there is basically nothing left in the world that would allow a kid to just be a kid. I should feel a lot worse for this kid's situation than I do. :/

I don't think he has plot armor. Main characters have died in this show and if it is in any way influenced by the comics, no one is safe.

The zombies themselves are pretty useless in creating tension. But I did feel for Carl when he got excited by that big stack of games and the immediately tossed em aside for the TV cable.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom