• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

‘To be white is to be racist, period,’ a high school teacher told his class

Status
Not open for further replies.
I mean, to some extent, nearly all white people in America probably have some amount of inherent, latent, racist thought processes to deal with on the regular. That doesn't mean we're all assholes. That just means a society with a history of racism and that is currently full of racist ideas impresses those ideas on people from birth. We all have to deal with it, somehow or other. Some people don't deal with it.

You can have racist thoughts, deal with them as a responsible human being, and do your best not to let them affect how you treat others. Acknowledging that doesn't make you a plantation owner from 1855.

The problem with this is that I feel whenever we continue to paint racism and prejudice as something everyone is capable of, the less people in a position of privilege feel they need to practice introspection.

While prejudice is certainly present in all races, only with white America does it cause damage to others. That's why it's necessary to stop generalizing and focusing on the real problem.

I mean understanding the problem is a White Supremacy problem at a systemic level is pretty focused and how even a Black person can become a cog at perpetuating it or unknowingly reinforce it.

franklin-stare-o.gif

Nepenthe

Assigning a trait to a race is itself racist but I think context is necessary he could just be talking about inherent bias.

So you think white privilege is an inherently racist idea?

Because the statistical likelihood that you have psychologically escaped American cultural indoctrination if you've been born and raised here is pretty much close to 0. Even people who are consciously anti-racist still have subconscious slip-ups.

It gives me a sinking feeling in my chest when people make generalizations about me just because of the color of my skin.

But dont worry about it my feelings dont count because I'm the white devil. Please just continue educating me about how I was born a monster and always will be.

this is the sort of discord that goes the wrong way and solves nothing

that teacher is racist then, LOL. There see how it easy it is?

Chmpocalypse

Blizzard
It's really more "to be white is to benefit from systemic racism".

Yes, even if you're poor, and even if you don't want to benefit.

Monocle

That statement needs more nuance.

There's a world of difference between a nice person who actively checks themselves for the mild racial bias they picked up from their environment, and a nasty "get your brown ass out of my country" bigot.

Lime

->

Because the statistical likelihood that you have psychologically escaped American cultural indoctrination if you've been born and raised here is pretty much close to 0. Even people who are consciously anti-racist still have subconscious slip-ups.

I mean, to some extent, nearly all white people in America probably have some amount of inherent, latent, racist thought processes to deal with on the regular. That doesn't mean we're all assholes. That just means a society with a history of racism and that is currently full of racist ideas impresses those ideas on people from birth. We all have to deal with it, somehow or other. Some people don't deal with it.

this is the sort of discord that goes the wrong way and solves nothing

that teacher is racist then, LOL. There see how it easy it is?
Clearly a public high school teacher speaks for us all- us as defined as however you want to define it.

/s

I make it a habit not judging stranger's thoughts and personalities based on their appearances, I think we all appreciate the same courtesy.

FUME5

That only white racism in America causes damage to others?

Off the top of my head I think the Uyghers, Indian workers in gulf states, the people of East Timor, and countless other minority groups that exist outside of predominantly 'white' societies would like to have a word.

Please don't take this as me minimizing the very real concerns facing minorities (even economic minorities), but making blanket statements like this, to teenagers, is bullshit.

The Mule

"To be white is to be racist, period"

"To be black is to be______, period"

"To be latino is to be ______, period"

"To be asian is to be_______, period"

"To be middle eastern is to be______, period"

"Only a Sith deals in absolutes."

ThisGuy

Is it? Negative stereotypes and racism has always negatively impacted minorities in America. White Americans, however, have not been in such a position.

I mean if you ignore individual experiences. Do you honestly believe not a single white person has experienced negative commentary over stereotypes other races hold for them? You honestly believe no white person has been attacked for being white?

Or is this where we pause the conversation and say it's only about power and the higher percentage? White tears yadda yadda?

Eh. I get what he was (presumably) trying to say. Prejudice is systemic, not individual, and you can't just easily spot racists by looking for the KKK robes in their closet or something.

That said he really put his foot in his mouth by wording it that way.

Disagree.

There are white people that essentially treat people of all races as equals, and that care seriously about the struggles that minority races face. These white people should not be called racist.

You can argue that all white people benefit from living in a racist society, but there is an ethical difference between benefitting from a crime and committing one. The former is less bad.

That only white racism in America causes damage to others?

Off the top of my head I think the Uyghers, Indian workers in gulf states, the people of East Timor, and countless other minority groups that exist outside of predominantly 'white' societies would like to have a word.

I think she was only speaking within an American context.

Nepenthe

I mean if you ignore individual experiences.

Of course we're ignoring individual experiences. The teacher made a broad generalization in the first place in an effort to discuss white privilege, which is a constantly-observed statistical average and not a scientifically absolute law or anything. Finding exceptions to the rule doesn't disprove the rule.

ishibear

is a goddamn bear
Until now. Thanks, blanket statement teacher.

While worded harshly, this teacher doesn't seem to be perpetuating self hate by being white. And even still, a statement like this won't harm white Americans or ruin their chances in college, or make rich minorities move away to other neighborhoods to escape, or get them arrested just for being white or accused of terrorism because of their culture, etc.

ThisGuy

Of course we're ignoring individual experiences. The teacher made a broad generalization in the first place in an effort to discuss white privilege, which is a constantly-observed statistical average and not an scientifically absolute law or anything. Finding exceptions to the rule doesn't disprove the rule.
These exceptions aren't rare though. Go to any poor community with more than one race and it's the same story.

Alienfan

It's like saying all heterosexual people are homophobic, or all men are sexist - likewise, someone being privileged doesn't make THEM a racist.

LProtag

Handling these kind of discussions in school, you have to be really really careful.

I find myself saying "What you said can be interpreted as racist" instead of "you're being racist" a lot in my classroom, if a kid says something objectionable. If you say the latter, especially to a kid, they generally get super defensive. I also try to give my students the benefit of the doubt, as they're probably repeating things they hear other people say. Granted, there are the times that students know exactly what they're saying...

In the recording, the teacher asks: “Am I racist? And I say yeah. I don’t want to be. It’s not like I choose to be racist, but do I do things because of the way I was raised.”

That's the teacher's point...

^^^^^^^

We all should take a hard look at the way we were raised and the attitudes impressed upon us, by our families, friends, and the media. Racist ideas don't just affect any one race, either.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom