• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

“Big boos can be defeated by sliding down stairs”

Arkeband

Banned
Yep. Like the Samus "Crystal Flash" energy recharge in Super Metroid.

latest

Your reserve tanks must be empty, you must have at least 10 missiles, 10 super missiles and 11 power bombs and your energy must be under 50. Once this is done, set a power bomb, but when you do, hold down L, R, Down and X and keep it held down until Samus becomes surrounded in a ball of energy, which will re-fill all your energy tanks.

There were a handful of these super moves IIRC, it depended on what your shot was set as.

Huggy

I'm curious if people know that you can stand (small) or crouch (big) between Bowsers legs at the end in Super Mario 3?

Was there actually truth to the "if Yoshi ate a colored shell he'd lose his powers" crap in the manual?

this one I actually accidentally did because I was goofing off and couldn't find the door there lol
I believe the manual is referring to the fact if Yoshi swallows the shell you are holding in his mouth, he will lose the fly/stomp power the blue and yellow shells afford you. (Yoshi automatically swallows items in his mouth after a certain amount of time.)

I didn't even know you could slide down stairs, jeez. Mario's butt is OP.

Not sure how well known this is, but in OoT, the floor at the entrance to the Sacred Forest Meadow is bombable and leads to a secret area with really weird looking wall textures not seen anywhere else in the game. There's nothing of note there but it's so different looking compared to every other secret hole I thought it was some huge secret when I first found it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V-Gh3NiD8to

Google Stone of Agony. Not exactly an obscure secret at all.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Don't you actually need this at this point in the level? Or at least it's much easier this way to get to the part at the bottom. I think I remember doing that, and it certainly was in one of these guidebooks.
No you don't need to do it. You get to that area through one of the many doors in that ghost house eventually.

ok, another secret, since i have never seen this on the internet:

press a with the cape next to a set of yellow blocks(the blocks have to be at least 2x2) and press against the set of blocks:
you will fall through the floor OR you can walk through the set of blocks without destroying them.

since its a super glitchy one and its hard to control, i never saw it done in one of the AGDQ.

please dont tell me, that this is also a secret.
This is more of a glitch. If you use it in that first Star Road level you can end up killing yourself in the wall blocks if you're not careful.

Metal-Geo

tumblr_oidw0eFUu61rrftcdo1_250.gif
tumblr_oidw0eFUu61rrftcdo2_250.gif

tumblr_oidw0eFUu61rrftcdo3_250.gif
tumblr_oidw0eFUu61rrftcdo5_250.gif

In Donkey Kong Country 3, completing Krematoa results in the submap gaining a red tint. However, in addition to that, revisiting levels within Krematoa reveals that they all become tinted red as well.

Source

This blog is wrinkling my brain!

El Odio

Banned
tumblr_o60pkhaPTp1rrftcdo2_400.gif

tumblr_o60pkhaPTp1rrftcdo1_400.gif

tumblr_o60pkhaPTp1rrftcdo3_400.gif

"In Mario Party games, the outcome of every die roll is completely independent of the actual timing with which you hit the block. Note how Mario gets the same 5 no matter when he hits the block. The die rolls are decided at the beginning of the turn and all interaction the player has is merely an illusion.:

Holy shitttttttt.

rewkol

"In Mario Party games, the outcome of every die roll is completely independent of the actual timing with which you hit the block. Note how Mario gets the same 5 no matter when he hits the block. The die rolls are decided at the beginning of the turn and all interaction the player has is merely an illusion.:

Holy shitttttttt.

My whole life is a lie. I hate and love this thread at the same time

GamerJM

Banned
I think I accidentally did this once or twice, but didn't realize it was sliding down the stairs that did it. So then every time I'd come across them I'd be frustrated because I knew there was some way to defeat them but I didn't know what it was.

Dizzy-4U

Holy shitttttttt.
3mz0oJX.gif

Peltz

Holy shitttttttt.

Dude.... my mind is fucking blown

Fucking Nintendo man... they really know how to hide stuff.

Thabass

Everytime I see that Big Boo, I always think he's wearing glasses when he covers his eyes. Each and every time.

Falchion

I honestly thought this thread was going to be a, 'what kind of video game lies did you get told and believe as a kid?'. I had no clue this was a thing. How were we even supposed to know?

Holy shitttttttt.

Is this only in early games or only to decide the order of players? Because there are items that allow you to slow down the die so you can hit a specific number so it can't apply to every die roll.

Not

Banned
Didn't know the title had to do with Mario and was literally hoping for someone silencing a studio audience's boos by going buttfirst down a spiral bannister

I still can't get the daredevil run star on that stage. I don't know if I'll ever be able to.

Skatterd

Holy shitttttttt.

A game of skill!

Ivan 3414

Is this only in early games or only to decide the order of players? Because there are items that allow you to slow down the die so you can hit a specific number so it can't apply to every die roll.

My total guess is that fact either only applies to earlier MP games or the slow down item gives you an exception to the rule

El Odio

Banned
The blog doesn't specify but If I had to guess it probably means in terms of any non slow dice roll.

Cepheus

Think it works in them all. Definitely works in SOR 2, I just tried it. Always knew this, didn't realise it wasn't widely known!

Oh, you mean like a special move? If so, I think I've already figured it out. I guess I've been doing it for ages without realising it was so OP since I only ever play as Axel. I always do two punches first and chain that into the Red Upper or whatever it was called.

DrFunk

not licensed in your state

Holy shitttttttt.

cc: jeff gertsmann

Doing that for deciding player order makes sense, because they have to make sure two players don't roll the same number.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Wanna know a dark secret?

I actually didn't know you could control your flight as Cape Mario in World until 20+ years later. Like right before Mario Maker came about. Every time I got to that bonus res with all the coins in the sky I would just constantly fly up and float back down and collect as many as I could could. If only I could tell the younger me.

I bet it was in the manual too. I used to read them front to back so I don't know how I'd miss that if it is.

Top Bottom