• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

1, 2, Switch to feature at least 20 minigames

krumble

Someone mentioned it elsewhere that maybe the reason it's not a pack-in is because they aren't confident in the quality of the product

Personally I've gone from thinking this should be a pack-in to thinking it should be similar to Wii Play - pack in with the purchase of the additional Joycon bundle

Would make a lot more sense

Shaanyboi

Banned
x49UdSt.jpg
Oh my goooooodddddd

Yeah, this the perfect party game. For Karen.

026.jpg
Accurate

With how they priced the system and its accessories, it's surely a big surprise this game is just 50€ and not more.
System is in line with the tech... And the times.

Accessories are too high but almost all of them are on all systems now.

Wii was cheaper though. I don't think the system is over priced. It's over priced to reach the idea of what people feel will make it move.

ajjow

20 bucks would be easier to digest. Thats the kind of game that u want inside the system memory to show friends something dumb....

Noitshado

To me game looks like prototypes for HD Rumble RnD fleshed out as a product to showcase HD Rumble. In that case I feel its even more important for it to be included as pack-in or low cost of entry as so far I don't think they did a good job conveying and garnering interest in HD Rumble feature to entice folks to purchase at full price just to test out an unproven feature. Maybe actual development warrants such a high price as precise fine tuning of the effect to convey what they want it to represent in each minigame required alot of dev time but as a consumer the final product isn't that compelling and screams gimmick.

Even still Treehouse and many here in thread have done a fine job explaining target audiences, intended use and perceived value of 1,2 Switch and has made me think more deeply about the game. 4 to 6 person get together in a casual low noise setup is the intended environment for this game and feel its kind of limiting even for that purpose VS say something like Lets Dance where low noise and distraction is not vital to the experience. Feels more of an obligatory genre fill in game.

Even as a casual game it needs a balance of interaction, competition and skill required ottherwise becoming a shallow experience leading to low playtime if host decides to try and base an entire gathering around this game. Really doesn't matter on variety of minigames if they have no depth folks will lose interest because they will know what to expect for the rest.

Makes me really appreciate Wii Sports especially as a pack-in lol. Wii Sports did a good job of bridging the gap between casuals and core gamers as it was fun and competitive enough for both groups and you will have a mix of both when setting up a gathering and thus far I feel 1,2 Switch lacks appeal to the core gamer. The host will likely be a core gamer and initial purchaser to begin with so they have to be interested in hosting in the first place. Maybe its more of an entry point game and you play 1,2 Switch to Lets Dance then Arms or whatnot. As it stands $30-40 price point would be best in given situation.

Nerazar

At least 20 games? That's like a full hour of gameplay!

Not that is has the same appeal or replayability as Wii Sports, but judging from that precedent, the game might be worth at least a few more hours of gameplay than standard AAA linear cineastic titles which range around 7 hours for $70.

I really thought that we saw every minigame, so having more of them is a better deal and might help explain the price point or why it hasn't been added to the base console. Wii Sports had 5 minigames / disciplines and was retail (for $45!) in Japan and people flooded over it.

I would still like Nintendo to include at least some minigames for free to the console and open the eShop to buy some DLC later on. So if you want all of them, you can go full retail and the others pick the best ones for themselves.

Rambone

60€ to count ice cubes on a party?

I have a better idea. For that money I'd buy a shaker, a good Gin, some lemons, Soda water, sugar syrup, actual ice cubes to make some nice Tom Cullins cocktails for everyone.

Actually that sounds way more appealing vs people pretending to milk invisible cows.

mackattk

*nanogames

Games where you play for a minute or two before getting bored and going to the next one. The entire 1 2 switch collection will be played through entirely within an hour for a lot of people.

*nanogames

Games where you play for a minute or two before getting bored and going to the next one. The entire 1 2 switch collection will be played through entirely within an hour for a lot of people.

This.

I'm not sure if 1 2 Switch is cluelessness or greed on the part of Nintendo, but maybe a little of both best explains it. Absolutely should have been a pack-in and marketed as a tech demo, which is basically what it is. The fact they're charging $50 is going to do more harm than the small amount of profit is worth...it'll spread exactly the wrong kind of word of mouth they want about their new product. It wouldn't surprise me if retailers experience an extremely high return rate from people who basically say, "This shit is not worth $50...I feel ripped off."

bounchfx

i'm so down for ping pong on this shit if the tracking is actually really good. I can imagine the new rumble really selling the feeling

all depends how much nuance they can get with hitting the ball to make it interesting or not

If they wanted to price it that high they shoulda done the Wii Sports Club model.
Anything but that. Drip feeding ancient games people stoped caring about years ago (
almost sounds like I'm talking about virtual console
) with hardly any improvement and a dead on arrival online mode.

so this is like a new age Action 52? although i think that collection had more effort put into it than this. they should have done a warioware game at launch instead of this. would have shown more of what the console can do while still having loads of content.
Action 52 was apparently $199 when it first released and touted less than $4 per game has a selling point so I suppose there is a slight resemblance. I don't think any of these minigames will have music as good as Cheetahmen but on the other hand they won't be as bad as action 52.

Personally I've gone from thinking this should be a pack-in to thinking it should be similar to Wii Play - pack in with the purchase of the additional Joycon bundle
Reggie describing it as more akin to Wii Play than Wii Sports certainly makes me think so too. Though even that has a simple flaw.
http://www.nintendo.com/games/detail/1-2-switch#game-details said:
No. of Players 2 players simultaneous
You've already got the required components to play without buying another Joy-con bundle.

Filter

I'd really like to play these games, I'm sure they would make for a lot of laughs with my family, but yeah it's too expensive.
The thing is that a lot of the things I want are too expensive for me, I can't get everything I want, and I don't expect companies to give me them for free.

No one is buying this game.

It really feels like Nintendo is not confident of this product (the switch overall, not only this "game"), so they are trying to squeeze as much money as possible from their loyals.

R0ckman

I just don't see how this thing is viable for parties. Is everyone at the party just going to go completely silent and watch people play this game? The game heavily relies on sound, so a party setting is not good for it.

I laughed during the trailer when it showed people at some kind of party playing this. Not a prayer they could hear it off the tablet.

The parties I've been to, the more people the more likely everyone will be off doing seperate things.

PrimeX

No, really, what the fuck is this? It isn't gaming, that's for sure.
I don't want this even for free. A a clit vibrator would have been more interesting and an infinitely better use of the so called HD rumble.

RRockman

Banned
If there's specific sound cues of each situation of each game, then could this be a great set of mini games for the blind?

Sapiens

That high heels one looks pretty ace. How many of your testicles are these women's stilettos crushing?

Mmmmm

Again, I don't think a lot of you are understanding who this game is targeting. This game is not Wii Sports, where you get it and play with your family whenever you want. This game is made for people who hosts large get togethers like block parties or cookouts and for people who frequent them. You pay $60 bucks up front, and you have an instant party starter. It's like Rockband, kinda in that way.

Only Rock Band has depth and replayability

Nerazar

Only Rock Band has depth and replayability

And it costs how much again with the controllers?

1, 2, Switch! will be a nice party game, nothing more and nothing less. Before Wii and PS2, noone had even the slightest wish to host "game parties" or even show off the console to non-gaming friends during a get-together. But Wii Sports and Singstar opened up the market for that and 1, 2, Switch! is aiming for that.

If people don't like the package then they should just skip it like I did with most Wii party games. I will also not get 1, 2, Switch! at launch, since I'm more interested in core gaming experiences. But I would gladly take it as part of the new Ambassador program or a demo.

And it costs how much again with the controllers?

1, 2, Switch! will be a nice party game, nothing more and nothing less. Before Wii and PS2, noone had even the slightest wish to host "game parties" or even show off the console to non-gaming friends during a get-together. But Wii Sports and Singstar opened up the market for that and 1, 2, Switch! is aiming for that.

If people don't like the package then they should just skip it like I did with most Wii party games. I will also not get 1, 2, Switch! at launch, since I'm more interested in core gaming experiences. But I would gladly take it as part of the new Ambassador program or a demo.

You're assuming it'll be a nice party game

A lot of us don't believe that based on the shallowness of the "games" showed so far

Rncewind

Not that is has the same appeal or replayability as Wii Sports, but judging from that precedent, the game might be worth at least a few more hours of gameplay than standard AAA linear cineastic titles which range around 7 hours for $70.

I really thought that we saw every minigame, so having more of them is a better deal and might help explain the price point or why it hasn't been added to the base console. Wii Sports had 5 minigames / disciplines and was retail (for $45!) in Japan and people flooded over it.

I would still like Nintendo to include at least some minigames for free to the console and open the eShop to buy some DLC later on. So if you want all of them, you can go full retail and the others pick the best ones for themselves.

These omnious 70 $ aaa cineastic games huh with 7 hours gameplay, never heard of them and would still be a better deal because they're actually videogames rather then this

Nerazar

You're assuming it'll be a nice party game

A lot of us don't believe that based on the shallowness of the "games" showed so far

Wii Play sold around 28 million units and that game didn't have deep experiences (and even only 9 games) - so "shallowness" is not important for consumers, it seems. Gameplay is. Fun is. Even Wii Party had like 10 millions in sales, so I don't think I can agree with you here.

But let's see about more news coming in. I was really expecting only those 8 or so showcased games to be included, so there might be more to come.

Wii Play sold around 28 million units and that game didn't have deep experiences (and even only 9 games) - so "shallowness" is not important for consumers, it seems. Gameplay is. Fun is. Even Wii Party had like 10 millions in sales, so I don't think I can agree with you here.

But let's see about more news coming in. I was really expecting only those 8 or so showcased games to be included, so there might be more to come.

You're making the same mistake as Nintendo, using the success of the Wii and some of its game as a measure for anything post-2010

WiiU had a Wii Sports sequel plus some other "party games" like Nintendo Land and we all saw how that turned out

The Wii was an exception, people can play Just Dance with their phones now

Bert

Firstly Wii Play came with a controller, that's why most people bought it. Secondly the games in Wii Play seem way deeper and more fun than these.

I was definitely expecting this to be the pack in, but with GCU and the Visa Checkout deal I went and preordered it anyway. Seems like it could be dumb fun with some friends or family.

maxcriden

The rock paper scissors can't possibly be more maddening than the one in Color Splash, at least. (One of the only flaws in that game IMO.)

Axass

You can see the number associated with each game in the explanation video: https://youtu.be/qadzCB3CLlI?t=5h20m7s

Milk is #5
Quick Draw is #7
Samurai Training is #8
Table Tennis is #14
Eating Contest is #18
Copy Dance is #24

So yeah, at least 24. I bet they're 25, so they can say it's $2 per minigame.

Also there's a different number of red peppers on the title screen for each game, which I guess represent the "difficulty" of the game.

krumble

Reggie describing it as more akin to Wii Play than Wii Sports certainly makes me think so too. Though even that has a simple flaw.

You've already got the required components to play without buying another Joy-con bundle.

Damn hadn't processed that one in my head properly...
Not sure "how" this should be marketed then, it certainly shouldn't be a full price retail release

Top Bottom