• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

1Up Show 4.8 (MGS: Portable Ops, Lost Planet, Wii imports)

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Fifty said:
The music they have is great, even if it repeats sometimes. The first piece of music that we hear in the Metal Gear segment is my favorite. I wish I could download it.

I don't quite understand why they used the metal gear music they did. That music isn't in MGSPO.

Cdammen

The "Nintendo 64 Kid" reference caught me totally off guard. Laughed my ass off :lol

Great show, as always, and Lost Planet looked scrumptious!

Ryu

Half of the music used during gameplay was from Metal Gear Solid - the first one on the PSOne, not the remix for MGS:TTS or from MGS:pO.

Cheeto

Any word on when the 1up Yours show will be released? I've got to make a long drive soon and it'd be nice if I could listen to it on the way.

Thomper

JonathanEx said:
Fantastic.

I've spent some time with Wii Play (EU), and uh, it screams "TECH DEMO COLLECTION!"
There's a few stores over here selling Wii Play for 40 euros. A Wiimote is 40 euros. Wiimotes are sold out at some places, Wii Play isn't. You do the math.

You could even buy 3 copies of Wii Play just for the controllers, and then sell the two extra copies of the game for 10 euros online. Value ftw.

Sean

Banned
duk said:
can i burn this to a cd ala wmv and watch it on the 360?

yup, i've done that with a past episode of 1up show and it worked fine. ff/rewind doesn't work as well though, it's more sluggish when its playing off of a cd.

RPS37

SnowWolf said:
Much respect for the guy in the Lost Planet discussion (not Mark Macdonald, the other guy) who referenced Gunvalkyrie.

I believe that was Ryan O'Donnel.

I totally rented that game and thought the graphics were AWESOME. :lol

Ravager61

RPS37 said:
I believe that was Ryan O'Donnel.

I totally rented that game and thought the graphics were AWESOME. :lol

The graphics were awesome. Too bad the controls were the biggest pile of shit ever.

Muppet345

I liked GunValkyrie. The problem was that it was overhyped to hell as a Metroid Prime killer, and it wasn't. Although IGN Xbox always overhyped games, then overrated them to boot. 9.9 lol

ell oh ell

Great show this week. Intro was hilarious, and the Smooth Moves segment sold me on the game. Also, how do you feel about the Wii now, Luke?

hyp

Kevar said:
I liked GunValkyrie. The problem was that it was overhyped to hell as a Metroid Prime killer, and it wasn't. Although IGN Xbox always overhyped games, then overrated them to boot. 9.9 lol

really? i don't remember it being touted as a MP killer. great game nonetheless. speaking of which, we need some new smilebit games.

pswii60

Kevar said:

ell oh ell

Great show this week. Intro was hilarious, and the Smooth Moves segment sold me on the game. Also, how do you feel about the Wii now, Luke?

wtf!? it's nothing like metroid prime!

Fallout-NL said:
Hehe same here, it was Luke who actually had me laughing though.

Agreed completely. I mean the whole bit was amusing and had me grinning, but when Luke made his comment I just lost it.

Great show guys as always! Now I just want the podcast! My Friday nights are not the same when I don't have the guys to listen to on the way to being drunk, and then as I sober up on the way home.

Kuran

Banned
That Metal Gear footage made me anticipate the postman a little bit less actually, perhaps the recent hype had gotten to me...

The disconnected and floaty CQB caught me really off-guard.. I read on GAF that it was a bit naff, but this looks like it shouldnt've left the development studio before they fixed it!

Angelcurio

1uplol.gif

Awesome :lol

clearacell said:
kathleenwariowareav.gif

I actually like the face Luke makes...it's kinda like "oh geez..."

log.gif

Sexy. Welcome Kathleen :)

Brak

Silicon Knight said:
As one Junior to another; shut the **** up!

Seriously though, if you like Metal Gear games that's cool, but the controls looked totally messed up and the graphics (other than Snake's character model) looked like a bad ps1 game. The cutscene stuff looked really well done and I'm sure the story has that MGS flair but goddamn...

btrboyev

metal gear did look like a ps1 game...it really did, but thats most likely due to the screen being blown up way beyond its native res.

Brak

btrboyev said:
metal gear did look like a ps1 game...it really did, but thats most likely due to the screen being blown up way beyond its native res.
Maybe, but I'm usually really impressed by the PSP's visuals and I don't remember specifically thinking that a game looked this bad when watching other game trailers.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
Brak said:
MGS:pO looked ****ing terrible.

I agree, it looked terrible...on the 1Up Show. The video was blown up and it looked worse than it really does. When you play it on PSP though, it looks ****ing fantastic

IMG_1455.jpg

aeolist

Banned
Wario64 said:
I agree, it looked terrible...on the 1Up Show. The video was blown up and it looked worse than it really does. When you play it on PSP though, it looks ****ing fantastic

[IM G]http://www.catanzareti.com/images/Kevin/IMG_1455.jpg[/IMG]
Ah, that makes sense, I was wondering about it. Blowing up that building looked cool.

I didn't think the graphics looked bad, but the frame rate was awful. It honestly looked like it was going in slow motion at times. I don't play much Metal Gear, and the reviews would imply it's not a problem, but it wasn't even close to smooth.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
There's no such thing as an MGS game where the controls aren't a little wonky.

They're just a bit more wonky cause it is on the PSP...but it still works really well.

great show....whenever i watch these things I cant stop watching till I see the whole thing.

I dont know, they are just good/entertaining.

with that said, this is the first 1up show I have seen since Che left....:lol

so I have a question....What happenned to that one asian chick that use to be on the one up show?

Kuroyume

Banned
Great episode... Maybe you guys could take a shot at making the final episode (of the year) an hour long? :D

The intro was great.

After watching the MGS segment, I'm happy I didn't give into my temptation to purchase a PSP on Monday for this game. It looks like horse shit. I still can't figure out why they haven't fixed the combat. Does it make sense to anyone, that snake can cause an enemy to do a 360 degree back flip by tapping them ion the shin bone with his toes?

I'd rather play with my own feces, than play Wario Ware.

Lost Planet looks impressive, but it seems like it could get very repetitive...

Wii play? Yay, more mini games... That's just what the Wii needs.

Top Bottom