• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

1Up Show 4.8 (MGS: Portable Ops, Lost Planet, Wii imports)

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
Nobody saved a screen capture of Kathleen getting flipped off for the next time she says something GAF doesn't like?

RaidenZR

A_Lee_N said:
That bugged me too, none of the interesting imports were shown.

Elebits, Pangya, Ennichi no Tatsujin, etc.

And where was Kororinpa? No one's talking about the fuggin' ball game and it looked like fun from videos.

Nice show this week!

Lost Planet looks great and I was really glad to hear the environments are varied. I forgot all about GunValkyrie until Ryan mentioned it, and then my hands immediately remembered the clunky controls.

My tech wish for the 1UP folks: Release a 640x360 (or higher) PS3-friendly version.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Can we get a PS3 download please? I'll echo that sentiment.

For some retarded reason, the PSP version won't download to the PS3...I have no idea why. Zip file?

elostyle

Never forget! I'm Dumb!
I get to download this with about 10kb/s.

What is it with 1up and being pretty much unreachable from europe?

Mar

Great show as always. I ended up watching this then listening to 1up Yours all in one go. Got to bed around 2:30am.

log.gif

I had a very similar expression to Luke's during that scene.

Speaking of Luke. Were you sick man? You looked completely out of it the entire show.

I don't understand the GAF hate for Wii Play. It's one of the most fun games I've played in years (you need more than one person though). And it's basically a free game with another Wiimote. This along with Wii Sports are two games I never expected to like, let alone love.

Sad to hear I won't be watching anymore shows until January. I'm going to have to find something else to get excited about when the weekend rolls around.

GAF hates Wii Play? Really? It's gotta be worth £5.

I really liked the show this week. Kathleen included, disliked her after her dramatic comeback but everything she did this week was good. Maybe it was the lack of dog.

_leech_ said:
It's because Atari 2600 games have more depth (that's what they said on the show, wasn't it?).
Yeah, the Wii play tank game could be pretty hard if you don't realize you could actually fcking move with the dpad or the nunchuck. -.-

I was playing this coop with my brother and the more we played it, the better it gets. It's quite hard to reach later levels because the enemies get harder and have different shots and behaviors. But you discover several strategies for every level like setting up mines near a wall then wait until an enemy tank comes near and then blowing up the mine by shooting at it. It's awesome if you're not competing for points actually.

I wanna see a pumped up version for download plz.

jarosh

:Motorbass said:
Yeah, the Wii play tank game could be pretty hard if you don't realize you could actually fcking move with the dpad or the nunchuck. -.-
HOLY SHIT. tell me this isn't true. you can move the tanks and 1up missed that? HOLY SHIT

jarosh said:
HOLY SHIT. tell me this isn't true. you can move the tanks and 1up missed that? HOLY SHIT

Certainly looked like that to me :lol

edit: I can't quite belive that really, but the footage they showed seemed to suggest that.

Rlan

Wii Play is okay. Sure, it's a couple of bucks, but even Wii Sports, which was free for everywhere but Japan, at least had some fleshing out.

I mean, would it have killed them to add different game types to the Pool game other than "Hit them in the order of numbers"? No Eight Ball? Snooker? It's not like I'll ever BUY A Snooker game.

mrkgoo

jarosh said:

It is true. I watched the podcast, and it seemed liked they missed a few things about wii play (whihc tehy may have subsequently discovered after filming the episode):

1) The duck hunt type game, you get bonuses for successive hits without missing - the way they were rapid firing suggests they didn't know this (though, it is fun and a legitimate strategy to go nuts like that - my GF did this and beat me :/)

2) You can move the tanks using the nunchuck or d-pad. You can also lay mines using A.

3) They talk about the game being only worth like $5...which it is, seeing as you only pay US$5-$10 on top of the bundled wiimote.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
jarosh said:

Is this really a surprise? Kinda makes you think twice about their reviews.

skip

Wario64 said:

how is this related to our reviews in any way? your trolling can be pretty pathetic at times.

jarosh

it's just kinda funny that luke made fun of the game because of that and mark 'admitted' that it wasn't as 'deep' as the atari game and still kinda defended it - when none of this was even remotely necessary.
eh, i still love the 1up guys. it's just... very odd. lol

The animation and frame rate in MGPO looked TERRIBLE, especially the hand-to-hand combat where Snake is a good foot away from actually making contact with the bad guy. Blown up or not, I expected MUCH more.

Dahbomb

Wario64 said:
Well in their defense, they probably didn't think the games had that additional level of depth and they were all probably drunk as hell.

JB1981

mmlemay said:
The animation and frame rate in MGPO looked TERRIBLE, especially the hand-to-hand combat where Snake is a good foot away from actually making contact with the bad guy. Blown up or not, I expected MUCH more.

Yeah, I thought it looked like shit too.

radjago

hyp said:
really? i don't remember it being touted as a MP killer. great game nonetheless. speaking of which, we need some new smilebit games.
Um... Smilebit got reabsorbed into Sega after they merged with Sammy. Makes me wonder where all the good Sega devs went.

Luke quick question... what made you change your mind from liking the game "alot" at E3 2006 to not liking the game 6 months later?

It seems like your complaints aren't genuine because you only recently voiced your opinion about them, when you could have voiced the same complaints back at E3. (glowing weak-points... simple AI... linear gameplay)

LukeSmith

Karma Kramer said:
Luke quick question... what made you change your mind from liking the game "alot" at E3 2006 to not liking the game 6 months later?

It seems like your complaints aren't genuine because you only recently voiced your opinion about them, when you could have voiced the same complaints back at E3. (glowing weak-points... simple AI... linear gameplay)

You certainly don't see the flaws in a compact demo experience, do you? I played a version of the game around TGS, a seven level build and it was sometime during that where my perspective changed. I think LP demos very well -- I don't think it's got enough behind it to go much beyond that, however. I still plan on playing through it.

Scoot said:
You certainly don't see the flaws in a compact demo experience, do you? I played a version of the game around TGS, a seven level build and it was sometime during that where my perspective changed. I think LP demos very well -- I don't think it's got enough behind it to go much beyond that, however. I still plan on playing through it.

So your main complaint then is that the gameplay is repetitive and dated?

Top Bottom