• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

1UP Yours - 01/22/2009

FreshOne

Suavo said:
I'm not trying to be sexist but ... a female friend vigorously defending Cooking Mama. No one is going to thrash her for liking Cooking Mama and grading it higher than MGS4 or something.
I'm not trying to be too much of a dick, but if you don't want to be sexist, you should avoid ridiculous stereotypes. Both Tina and Alice (who would be possible female choices since they have podcast experience) play lots of hardcore games. Usually people are moaning about how Tina talks too much about COD4.

Suavo

You ought to read my post more thoroughly.

I didn't say women are not capable of having good taste in games. I'm just saying guys are overly nice to women with their opinion but they should be ridiculed to the same extent as Luke/Shane or else it would be boring. IE, I remember John mentioning the 'A' review for WiiMusic and if it was not for the fact that Jennifer Tsao was a woman, he would have really mocked her and it would have been funny.

BTW I like Tina, I really do. I just don't think the guys would go 'HAHAHAHA WTF ARE YOU THINKING' at an opinion that belongs to Tina. Especially considering how sweet Tina is.

Conflicts that Luke-Shane did, Garnett as the instigator, and John keeping everyone grounded when it gets too out of hand was what made the show great and dynamic.

Natedeezy

Finished the podcast today, wow. I want to thank Garnett, Shane, John, Luke, Mark, Brian, and Skip for making many hours at work fly-by effortlessly... I wish you all the best and look forward to Garnett and John on the new show... Hopefully I can somehow make it out to Pax this year to see you guys live! :D

Flavius

I've been pacing myself, rationing out bits of this final, fantastic 1up Yours as I make my daily commute. Pretty sure I'll be finished with it tomorrow, but I didn't want to let the thread die without saying thanks once again to the crew.

This was a fantastic way to tie it all together. And not that the show didn't rock post-Luke, but I have to say: I don't think I've literally LOL'ed so much since the hairy guy moved on to Bungie.

You know, it doesn't always work...just tossing the same guys back together and expecting the magic to still be there, but you know what? It abso-fucking-lutely worked here.

Take care, best of luck to everyone, and once again THANK YOU!

FartOfWar

Banned
Natedeezy said:
Finished the podcast today, wow. I want to thank Garnett, Shane, John, Luke, Mark, Brian, and Skip for making many hours at work fly-by effortlessly... I wish you all the best and look forward to Garnett and John on the new show... Hopefully I can somehow make it out to Pax this year to see you guys live! :D
: (

voltron

FartOfWar said:

To be fair, I forgot you were a 'regular' too Shawn. How long were you hittin it every week for? I know you were there at GDC last year because you had that hectic schedule.

Dont take that the wrong way though dude. You were great for the show, and for Shane. Even if you were a little too cerebral for them on occasion.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
voltron said:
To be fair, I forgot you were a 'regular' too Shawn. How long were you hittin it every week for? I know you were there at GDC last year because you had that hectic schedule.

Dont take that the wrong way though dude. You were great for the show, and for Shane. Even if you were a little too cerebral for them on occasion.
I agree. In fact, some of my favorite 1ups were the ones with Shane and Shawn.

I sometimes feel that gaming magazines compromised a little too much personality in favor of professionalism. I didn't really get a chance to appreciate the guys behind the scenes until podcasts became popular. The only writer who really stood out to me in the early Ziff days was Seanbaby. Now I feel like the people at Ziff had to leave right after I was introduced to them. It was like a hello goodbye.

Hopefully the gang will get together for PAX. I had a blast there last year.

undrtakr900

VisionaryQuest0 said:
Seriously, I've been re-listening to 2006/early 2007 Yours and they simply cannot be touched.
Where can I download old 1up Your podcasts with the fab 4? I want to listen to them again =)

Rlan

I've been going through a lot of old podcasts too during work. It's really funny listening to how John and "new intern" Nick made a pact to get all the achievements in Burnout Revenge, or how the "video intern starting in a few weeks" David Ellis and his friends are far more like robots than Luke at Halo 2, to the point where it wasn't fun for him anymore :lol

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
My favourite 1UP Yours is probably Shawn Elliott's last one. It was brilliant, a great final 1UP podcast for him.

Rlan

Haha, and on the final Luke episode they got a bottle of booze from Eat-Sleep-Game aka Chuff.

Oh how small the world really is...

undrtakr900

Rez>You said:
My favourite 1UP Yours is probably Shawn Elliott's last one. It was brilliant, a great final 1UP podcast for him.
My favorite is still E3 "Pool-side 2006"

After the ps3 price announcement someone asked for Shane and Luke said: "He's shivering in the corner":lol

Flavius

FartOfWar said:

How does it feel to be the 1up Yours equivalent of the 1985-1986 "It was all just a dream, Pam!" season of Dallas? :p

For what it's worth, I appreciate what you brought to the show. Unlike some other internet folks, I wouldn't dare to presume your reasoning, but personally, it seemed natural to me that the show would become something different after Luke & Mark left and you were brought on board. For whatever reason, that didn't work out, and while I continued to listen, I admit that I was part of that group saying that it was time to do something new.

Related: I also found myself agreeing with you on retiring the played-out catchphrases...CONFIRMED!, FOR THE WIN!, FAIL!, etc...but you know what? Get the old gang back together, and damned if those old catchphrases didn't fit into the conversation just fine. Admittedly, the words seemed somewhat forced and awkward after Luke left, but here, they were noticeable only because they worked so well and seemed so natural.

No...apparently, I cannot let the last official 1up Yours thread die. :p

Puck

Banned
i relistened to this today in the wake of hearing garnett leaving 1up.

there goes the 1up yours / listen up.

i believe this is the best podcast in 1up yours great history.

The 1UP network really was on fire from the start of 2007 till the end of 2008. Everything from EGM Live and 1UP Yours all the way to 1UP FM were all very informative and entertaining. Their content really re-energized my enthusiasm for gaming. The Sports Anomaly is still around just because of the sheer love for sports gaming by Todd Zuniga, but it was definitely something more when Intihar was there.

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
infinityBCRT said:
Their content really re-energized my enthusiasm for gaming.

i hear that. based pretty much solely on discussions on 1up yours, i bought BURNOUT PARADISE, VIVA PINATA, CRACKDOWN, PICROSS DS, and on and on and on.

i'll really fucking miss this show. gfw radio going the way of the dodo was bad enough; now pretty much the whole set of podcasts is toe-up, retronauts aside, and i see jeremy's time there as being on a very short and always ticking clock as he--consciously or no--waits to move on to bigger, better things.

can't stop what's comin'.

Was 1up FM and GFW Radio ever on during the same time? I don't even remember anymore... seems so long ago

FM mondays, GFW wednesdays, and Yours fridays = a good week for podcasts (if it ever worked like that)

That said... maybe I miss Nick and Phillip more? Maybe its because I still have hope Garnett will get a podcast going again but no more Nick and Phil :(

LCfiner

HamPster PamPster said:
Was 1up FM and GFW Radio ever on during the same time? I don't even remember anymore... seems so long ago

FM mondays, GFW wednesdays, and Yours fridays = a good week for podcasts (if it ever worked like that)

That said... maybe I miss Nick and Phillip more? Maybe its because I still have hope Garnett will get a podcast going again but no more Nick and Phil :(

Yes. and I think the only reason I know this is the joke with Anthony and the Yaddle fanfiction stuff. It crossed over the two podcasts.

that's kinda messed up that I remember that shit :lol

It still astounds me that 1Up management somehow managed to fail to capitalise on having 2 of the most listened to and admired podcasts on the internet and one of the most watched weekly gaming shows in any way, instead still relying on dying print media to fund the whole operation.

Also lets retcon ListenUp ever happening and chalk it up to Garnett having fever dreams and uninteresting nightmares after the loss of all the main 1Uppers was too much for him to bear and put him into a coma for a year from which he has just woken and got a job at ShackNews.

xSL4INx

This is the one podcast that is always on my Zune, and I usually give it a listen still once a month.

Easily their best 1UP Yours that they ever recorded. The entire podcast is a roller coaster ride from start to finish.

Top Bottom