• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The last 1UP Podcast ever (4/5/2013) - 3 hr special goodbye

Crazy to think it's been almost 10 years since I was thick with GFW, EGM and 1UP podcasts each week.

Can you guys imagine if they ever got a panel together with all the guys from 1UP, EGM, GFW at one of the cons. Logistically impossible but nice to dream.

Truth. The golden age of podcasting. I miss those days. :(

This world needs John Davison on more podcasts, listening to older podcasts made me realize how much I missed listen to him fight with people to take mobile gaming seriously. He saw the massive potential before anyone else did.

Wow, blast from the past. I sure going to give this a listen!

This world needs John Davidson on more podcasts, listening to older podcasts made me realize how much I missed listen to him fight with people to take mobile gaming seriously. He saw the massive potential before anyone else did.

And the next minute he'd talk about how pc gaming is dead and you need a ridiculously expensive pc (was it 2000$?) to play something that looks good.

322636029_ae5ec8f772.jpg

The dream team of podcasting.

Wrong.

True dream team:

gfw-radio-reunion-4.jpg

ShaneB

Just finished listening. Mr Otero (edit: god I feel like a dummy having your name typoed. lol), thank you for putting that all together. I definitely got a bit teary eyed multiple times thinking about how 1up content helped me get through some rough times over the past years, be it the podcasts to help get through a day of work I hated, or the 1up show to finish off the week, etc etc. It's always nice to hear passionate people talk about games and the memories they have working at what sounded like a pretty great place.

AkuMifune

Banned
I'll have to listen to this. Should be nostalgic.

It's too much! I'm having a nostalgia overload. It's such a painful reminder of how much talent was at one website for a short period in time, and how weird life is now that they've all been scattered to the winds.

Jane Pinckard always seemed like the coolest friend I never had. :(

Empty

went for a walk listening to this and ended up going for two hours. the gfw bumps and the various 1up show themes :(

missed a few big names - kept hoping for shane to pop on - but still great to have put together.

This podcast was clearly more for the alumni than is was for the few of us fans who care to hear 3 hours of office nostalgia, and I'm totally cool with that.

Jomjom

Banned
Just listened to the last episode and wow all the memories! Heard both Matt and Anthony show up early in the show (which was good), but then I got mad because Rebel FM is so bad, almost all because the idiot Arthur Geis is on the show.

Also Tina tearing up midway through the show really summed up the whole farewell episode.

Parish mentions a person with "a different work ethic" in the early day of 1up. I'm curious who it was he's referring to. Anybody know? Names, Dammit!

Finished this finally. It was like being a fly on the wall during a reunion, but I'm okay with that. It was fun to think about that 2005-2008 time period again.

Finished it. Great stuff. Shame people didn't really check up on the site when parish was king. I tried to post some of their great interviews and features here before.

Slime

Banned
That was really special. Wasn't expecting to hear from about half of those folks. Was great to hear from Jane and Mielke in particular.

I loved that they even got Jen, Donahoe, and Seanbaby together. Hearing Jen and Donahoe talk about prizes and how much Seanbaby's humor makes her uncomfortable felt like such an EGM Live timewarp, haha.

I hope they do as Hsu suggested and make this an annual thing.

Thanks for putting this together, Jose. Was a great listen.

krae_man

Oh man that was awesome.

Simon and John couldn't be there for the british content but England one was like "I got this".

Seems like everyone lived together in the same couple of rent controlled appartments and everytime someone got fired/quit whatever the new hire(s) move in.

joedaprofessor

Neo Member
That was really special. Wasn't expecting to hear from about half of those folks. Was great to hear from Jane and Mielke in particular.

I loved that they even got Jen, Donahoe, and Seanbaby together. Hearing Jen and Donahoe talk about prizes and how much Seanbaby's humor makes her uncomfortable felt like such an EGM Live timewarp, haha.

I hope they do as Hsu suggested and make this an annual thing.

Thanks for putting this together, Jose. Was a great listen.

Hey, this is Jose. Thanks for listening. And sorry we couldn't get everyone. At first I was unsure, but I'm really satisfied with how this episode turned out. Maybe we can do it again sometime.

krae_man

It was indeed a good listen. And yeah, hearing from the EGM live team was really cool too.

Yeah definately. If they need to borrow a Game.com with Michael Keaton batman for next time, I can hook them up.

Least I can do since that was one of the main reasons I started collecting handhelds. It was the first handheld I bought outside of the PSP/DS. I just had to have uh uh uh.

Now I'm like 60 handhelds strong.

Cronox

Banned
And I agree with them, 1up show was great due to the clashing of personalities and opinions. I like me some GB and idle thumbs, but everyone is still quite often too 'agreeing'. The recent weekend confirmed with Garnett and Cannata going at it about Tomb Raider was fantastic.

clashing opinions. good stuff.

That's what made 1up great, especially 1up yours. They we're a team of rivals. They played games together, and often competitively. They liked to disagree, it was a part of the culture. People that are competitors push each other harder. Sadly it seems there won't be another video games site/culture like it... It was a little golden age.

Man. I remember spending the mid 2000's always on 1up.com watching the 1up show and listening to the podcast. Also tried my best to get my blog skills up. But i could never match the talent of some members there.

But the 1up show. Damn. Is there even another show as good as that? Just watching it put me in a good mood when i felt like crap. They didn't even have to show anything or do anything dramatic. Hearing them all talk together was enough.

EDIT- Holy shit my eyes watered hearing that intro again. I'll listen later. :(

Schrade

Good lord, haven't heard Jen Tsao's voice in a long time. She hasn't changed.

She has one of the most perfect female voices. It surprised me a few times when I didn't know who the heck she was and she'd be on a few of the podcasts.

I could listen to both her and Jane talk about anything.

She has one of the most perfect female voices. It surprised me a few times when I didn't know who the heck she was and she'd be on a few of the podcasts.

I could listen to both her and Jane talk about anything.
yeah i had a ecrush on her back in the day...hot lady with an awesome voice

USC-fan

Banned
Crazy amount of talent at 1up back in the day. Sad to see it go but really it been gone for many years....

I wonder why shane seems to be banned from podcasts but nick suttner was on this

I dont get why shane isnt on the sony podcast.....

Barryman

Man, this was amazing. I can't believe I waited this long to listen.

My story goes along with what Jeremy was saying about the 1UP folks influencing lives. I started watching the 1UP Show around the launch of the Xbox 360 in 2005 and then listened to the podcasts soon afterwards.

I had always thought it would be cool to make games, but getting this window into the culture of the 1UP offices was amazing, and convinced me that I should make games. More than that, they really influenced the way I thought about games.

When I took a introductory programming class in the summer of 2008, I knew I had to make a game. I released it on XBLIG (then Community Games) in January of 2009, right when the huge layoffs happened. It was a really bittersweet moment for me -- just as the 1UP chapter of my life ended, I became a game developer.

Somehow, though, the amazing 1UP people I felt like I knew from a distance actually took a liking to my game! Nick Suttner, Garnett, Patrick Klepeck, Matt Chandronait, Ryan O'Donnell, Tyler Barber, John Davison....what?!?!?!? To this day it still blows my mind. Hearing these guys talk about enjoying my game was such a thrill. Maybe they liked it because of their indirect influence on my design ethos ;)

I give all the credit in the world to these folks. the publicity my game got through these people was the distinguishing factor for my game getting noticed and helping me pay my way through college and into my current career path. For this, and all of the entertainment and inspiration to get started in the first place, I can't thank them enough!

Bigfoot

Finally listened to this. Add me to the list of posters that was wierded out by Alice's accent. It was even funnier that she thought she didn't have an accent. It's crazy how some people quickly mimic the culture they are in.

The podcast overall was pretty good, but it was missing a large hole by not having any of the 1upYours guys on there. At least Anthony and Robert made an appearance for GFW Radio even if Shawn and Jeff were missing. 1upYours and GFW Radio were the greatest podcasts on 1Up and are still in the list of best podcasts ever.

Top Bottom