• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The last 1UP Podcast ever (4/5/2013) - 3 hr special goodbye

pauljeremiah

Gold Member
great podcast, very nostalgic.

spent the morning cutting my lawn and listening to this. It doesn't make me cry because 1UP is now over, it made me smile because it happened.

1UP was where I started taking the internet more serious and stopped being a lurker and join a community. I joined 1UP in February 2006, posted over 600 blog posts and made some great friends, I returned to PC gaming thanks to GFW, and have met some of the old 1UP editors in real life and have shared a "thank you" drink with them.

I know that most people said that 1UP died in 2008 and that what happened was inevitable, but we never got that final 1UP Show and good bye (though we did get a final 1UP Yours), so I'm just glad that the site was able to give the community and fans a one final good bye.

Thanks 1UP, thanks for giving a lonely kid a place on the internet to call home.

I think Stephen Chbosky said it best so I'll paraphrase him:

Dear Friend,

I don't know if I will have the time to write anymore letters because I might be too busy trying to participate. So if this does end up being the last post I just want you to know that I was in a bad place before I started here and you helped me. Even if you didn't know what I was talking about or know someone who has gone through it, you made me not feel alone.

Because I know there are people who say all these things don't happen. And there are people who forget what it's like to be 16 when they turn 17. I know these will all be stories someday. And our pictures will become old photographs. We'll all become somebody's mom or dad. But right now these moments are not stories. This is happening, I am here and I am looking at her. And she is so beautiful.

I can see it. This one moment when you know you're not a sad story. You are alive, and you stand up and see the lights on the buildings and everything that makes you wonder. And you're listening to that song and that drive with the people you love most in this world. And in this moment I swear, we are infinite.

-Paul Jeremiah Hayes

Proud 1UP member 2006-2013

Timbuktu

I can see it. This one moment when you know you're not a sad story. You are alive, and you stand up and see the lights on the buildings and everything that makes you wonder. And you're listening to that song and that drive with the people you love most in this world. And in this moment I swear, we are infinite.

-Paul Jeremiah Hayes

Proud 1UP member 2006-2013

Bowie's 'Heroes' is playing in my head.

Jarnet87

Crazy how many 1UP Alumni they got the on the podcast. Even Jane and Milkman got on to talk. Shame that a few people weren't there, can't even imagine the feels if the whole crew had shown up at GDC. Shu was right, there needs to be an official 1UP reunion every year.

KICKSTARTER !!!

pauljeremiah

Gold Member
Crazy how many 1UP Alumni they got the on the podcast. Even Jane and Milkman got on to talk. Shame that a few people weren't there, can't even imagine the feels if the whole crew had shown up at GDC. Shu was right, there needs to be an official 1UP reunion every year.

KICKSTARTER !!!

Excellent idea.

Phreaker

Just finished it, great podcast. I really miss the 1up Show (still haven't seen anything as entertaining while covering games) and 1up Yours podcasts. Can't wait to rewatch them on YouTube.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
Thank god for Giantbomb. If they didn't exist these post 1up years would have been even more depressing.

Very true.

I feel like the death of EGM was bearable since we had 1up, and the death of 1up is bearable since we have Giantbomb.

ZimbAdam

Listening to it right now, this is the fucking best. I totally lost my shit when they dropped Jeff Green's final GFW rap.

1UP, I salute you. You've provided me with hours upon hours of brilliant internet radio. Hell, I still listen to old episodes of GFW and Retronauts every now and then.

Dylan

Looking forward to this. I can say that 1up was solely responsible for getting me back into gaming after a 5+ year hiatus. Thus ruining my social life forever.

Very true.

I feel like the death of EGM was bearable since we had 1up, and the death of 1up is bearable since we have Giantbomb.

The loss of GFW was filled up with the amazing Idle Thumbs podcast (orginal run), because that started shortly after GFW ended. I'm sure I'm not the only one who made this transition ;)

EDIT: WTF beat by 2 min. hahaha

entremet

The special 3 year run of 1up Yours/1up Show was so magical. I knew it wouldn't last. Too much talent and so underpaid. Thanks for the memories guys.

I'm sad we never got a long term replacement to the 1up show. The Area 51 guys stopped doing COOP.

Talon

Depressing to hear about all the technology issues that sunk the GameVideos part of the site. Pretty early on in the podcast.

Tiktaalik

So wait, is she doing the Madonna thing, or did she use an accent on prior podcasts?

People's accents definitely change over time, even if they're adults. I guess some people may be more susceptible to it than others.

A good friend of mine is British and has lived in NA for 8+ years and yeah he has a British accent I guess, but I was shocked when his brother visited, and I could almost not understand his brother due to his incredibly strong British accent. Shows how much my friends' accent had slowly changed to become more North American. I noticed the same thing with a Kiwi ex-pat friend of mine who had lived in NA for the same amount of time. I went to New Zealand and it was wildly stronger there.

ShaneB

Started listening to this now, making my Monday morning at work much better in a sense. In another sense it makes me realize how much I hate my job and how I wish I could look back fondly at my work like all these people.

Wonderfully nostalgic listening to this and hearing old voices I haven't heard in ages. Glad the format definitely is just about 1up memories (at least so far.)

EDIT: Just passed the moment where Tina was breaking down about her time at 1up :( aww, that was a great story

edit 2: Yay now it's the egm live crowd!

tina and matt doing stuff... so I guess infinity ward is doing modern warfare... was is it 4? It is about that time of the year again o_O.

And I agree with them, 1up show was great due to the clashing of personalities and opinions. I like me some GB and idle thumbs, but everyone is still quite often too 'agreeing'. The recent weekend confirmed with Garnett and Cannata going at it about Tomb Raider was fantastic.

clashing opinions. good stuff.

322636029_ae5ec8f772.jpg

The dream team of podcasting.

Truth. The golden age of podcasting. I miss those days. :(

Top Bottom