• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

1UP Yours - 02/15/2008

Elbrain

Suckin' dicks since '66
Chris Michael said:
Hey mangod when is Crisis Core going to reach 2 million in Japan?

Blatant jabs aside...

may I ask what your avatar originates from?

It is from one of the girls in the manga/anime of Tenjo Tenge. Good stuff.

ZeroTolerance

Oh yeah, one other thing...N'Gai has played Resistance 2.

jtp6b9.gif

It's funny, when Garnett and N'Gai were going on about the regular four being united and then Bryan started talking, my first thought was "Who the hell is this?" Then I remembered that the regular four now is Garnett, Shane, Bryan, and Shawn. Threw me off there for a second.

COME BACK JOHN I LOVE YOU.

ZeroTolerance said:

Funnier than it should be. :lol

tanod

when is my burrito
FartOfWar said:
Not "really, really doesn't like it" but very strongly believes that its status as a PS3 launch game contributes to the extent that so many gamers seem to think it's amazing rather than a bit better than mediocre.

Resistance being a launch game makes it all the more impressive that it isn't a pile of shit.

It deserves props for creative weapon design, its squad-based spawn system for tactical maneuvers in team-play, the first successful implementation of an extra-large scale (>32 players) online FPS game experience on a console with: zero lag, worldwide servers, and clan support.

On consoles, Halo 2 was its closest peer in online features until Halo 3 and COD4 came out.

Personally, I also think that the underlying hints about the story made it even better.

The main reasons I think people discount it is because it gets pigeon-holed as a world war 2 shooter, and the game is slow to ramp up in action and in impressive set pieces.

FartOfWar

Banned
tanod said:
Resistance being a launch game makes it all the more impressive that it isn't a pile of shit.

It deserves props for creative weapon design, its squad-based spawn system for tactical maneuvers in team-play, the first successful implementation of an extra-large scale (>32 players) online FPS game experience on a console with: zero lag, worldwide servers, and clan support.

On consoles, Halo 2 was its closest peer in online features until Halo 3 and COD4 came out.

Personally, I also think that the underlying hints about the story made it even better.

The main reasons I think people discount it is because it gets pigeon-holed as a world war 2 shooter, and the game is slow to ramp up in action and in impressive set pieces.

If you listen to the show, you'll note that I limit this observation to single-player only. Repeatedly.

Dante

FartOfWar said:
If you listen to the show, you'll note that I limit this observation to single-player only. Repeatedly.

You mentioned a page back "so many gamers seem to think it's amazing rather than a bit better than mediocre.

The reason a lot of people think it's amazing is the multi player. Or atleast a slight contributing factor.

Ashhong

FartOfWar said:

because you havent even tried the multiplayer =( gotta play the whole experience!

FartOfWar

Banned
Dante said:
You mentioned a page back "so many gamers seem to think it's amazing rather than a bit better than mediocre.

The reason a lot of people think it's amazing is the multi player. Or atleast a slight contributing factor.

Ah, I was talking about the single-player game. Because this is a thread about the podcast, I assumed that I made that clear in the podcast is all.

FartOfWar

Banned
Ashhong said:
because you havent even tried the multiplayer =( gotta play the whole experience!

To be honest, with the sixaxis and my taste in multiplayer FPSes, I can't imagine being impressed to the point that I'd want to stop playing TF2, COD4, ETQW, and BF2 on PC to play it with any real regularity. I could be wrong, but...

Now if one of you who legitimately plays any of the games above on PC and is still willing to say that Resistance is on the level I might give it a shot. But I mean it, no bullshitting. You play TF2, COD, ETQW, Battlefield, etc. on PC.

J-Rzez

FartOfWar said:

Then maybe not discount it then so easily? It's MP was, and still is this console gen's benchmark for online shooters. Nothing beat it yet, perhaps CoD4 could've if it ran even close to as good as Resistance, but since they opted for p2p, they lost.

In fact, you should play it since it's the first console game to rival PC games as to how well they play online...

tanod

when is my burrito
FartOfWar said:

I know. I'm not trying to discredit your opinion.

My two key points about why I think it's held in such a high regard among fans is the multiplayer and its continued refinements and that the last half of the game is much more interesting game-play wise as well as being much more graphically impressive. The graphics tech in the second to last level with the snow is pretty fucking amazing looking.

FartOfWar

Banned
J-Rzez said:
Then maybe not discount it then so easily? It's MP was, and still is this console gen's benchmark for online shooters. Nothing beat it yet, perhaps CoD4 could've if it ran even close to as good as Resistance, but since they opted for p2p, they lost.

In fact, you should play it since it's the first console game to rival PC games as to how well they play online...

You're missing the point. I didn't discount Resistance's mp on the show, I discounted the extent to which many gamers endorse its campaign. So you're more or less asking me not to come to conclusions about campaign by playing campaign.

aeolist

Banned
Hey Shawn have you noticed any really bad lag problems on ETQW? I bought it a couple of weeks ago and every time I played my framerate was pretty steady and my ping was <100ms but it seemed extremely jumpy, so much so that I couldn't really play it seriously.

I just upgraded to an 8800GT so that may fix some of it but it mostly seemed like a netcode problem, which is strange and disappointing looking at WolfET.

Elbrain

Suckin' dicks since '66
FartOfWar said:
tanod said:
I know. I'm not trying to discredit your opinion.

My two key points about why I think it's held in such a high regard among fans is the multiplayer QUOTE]

Ah, I see.

How far did you play the SP cause I can see what you are saying for the first few levels. The game does ramp up in challenge, visual variety, enemies and weapon designs later on starting with the Manchester level. That is why people like in, that is why I liked the game weapon combination against the enemy types was awesome.

FartOfWar

Banned
aeolist said:
Hey Shawn have you noticed any really bad lag problems on ETQW? I bought it a couple of weeks ago and every time I played my framerate was pretty steady and my ping was <100ms but it seemed extremely jumpy, so much so that I couldn't really play it seriously.

I just upgraded to an 8800GT so that may fix some of it but it mostly seemed like a netcode problem, which is strange and disappointing looking at WolfET.

And it's not ping (many hosts are in Australia and Europe)...I don't know, I'd try messing with various video settings to see what happens. Take off anti-aliasing for a start.

Big-E

Anyone getting real slow download speeds? The 1up show was downloading much faster for me and has finished and I am still only getting 60kb/s download for 1up Yours.

FartOfWar said:
To be honest, with the sixaxis and my taste in multiplayer FPSes, I can't imagine being impressed to the point that I'd want to stop playing TF2, COD4, ETQW, and BF2 on PC to play it with any real regularity. I could be wrong, but...

Now if one of you who legitimately plays any of the games above on PC and is still willing to say that Resistance is on the level I might give it a shot. But I mean it, no bullshitting. You play TF2, COD, ETQW, Battlefield, etc. on PC.

If you ever get a chance to talk to anyone from Insomniac, start pestering them about adding KB/mouse controls :D

Z3F

Banned
FartOfWar said:

Resistance MP's not on the same level as top tier PC shooters. No console shooter is. Resistance is just one of those GAF titles that get far more respect in the forum than it does in the rest of the gaming world.

hmmm, if resistance 2 looked a bit like the first in multi, Im guessing the screens in the mag were from single play...because they look a hell of alot better than the first game

Ashhong

FartOfWar said:

that is true...it definitely wont be enough to pull you away from those types of games on PC. however, it pulled me away from CS, does that count? =)

Big-E

FartOfWar said:

I played TF2 fairly regularly with GAF till my PC went and crapped out. Haven't played it in about a month but will start up again shortly. During the time I was playing TF2, I would be playing Resistance as well. My time between the two were fairly split but now I have started to play Resistance more due to comp issues. Both games are great and worth playing imo but I don't know if I would recommend Resistance for you. Because I have been playing Resistance for well over a year now, I have seen the community grow and know the game fairly well. Being a part of the GAF clan for Resistance has also helped keep the game fresh. For someone new to just pick up the game, I can't say you will have the most fun with it. I would recommend that when Resistance 2 comes out that you do try the multiplayer though. I have played a lot of PC FPS' over the years and Resistance easily can be mentioned in the same name as them. For what it's worth, Resistance is the first console FPS to stick with me and one I really enjoy.

tanod

when is my burrito
Big-E said:
I played TF2 fairly regularly with GAF till my PC went and crapped out. Haven't played it in about a month but will start up again shortly. During the time I was playing TF2, I would be playing Resistance as well. My time between the two were fairly split but now I have started to play Resistance more due to comp issues. Both games are great and worth playing imo but I don't know if I would recommend Resistance for you. Because I have been playing Resistance for well over a year now, I have seen the community grow and know the game fairly well. Being a part of the GAF clan for Resistance has also helped keep the game fresh. For someone new to just pick up the game, I can't say you will have the most fun with it. I would recommend that when Resistance 2 comes out that you do try the multiplayer though. I have played a lot of PC FPS' over the years and Resistance easily can be mentioned in the same name as them. For what it's worth, Resistance is the first console FPS to stick with me and one I really enjoy.

If Shawn still had his PS3, we should have invited him to play with GAF one of these nights.

Z3F

Banned
Big-E said:
I played TF2 fairly regularly with GAF till my PC went and crapped out. Haven't played it in about a month but will start up again shortly. During the time I was playing TF2, I would be playing Resistance as well.

How do you adjust for the different control schemes? I just played a couple of 360 FPS demos today and I found it so hard to aim with a joypad after having played FPS games only on my PC for the last month.

Elbrain

Suckin' dicks since '66
Z3F said:
How do you adjust for the different control schemes? I just played a couple of 360 FPS demos today and I found it so hard to aim with a joypad after having played FPS games only on my PC for the last month.

For me it really doesn't bother me I am used to it going from PS3 to PC fps. I have been programmed! :D

Big-E

Z3F said:

Whenever I go from PC to console I usually need a round to readjust but after that I am good to go.

dralla

As someone who really likes BF2 [and TF2] I can say that the multiplayer in Resistance is clearly not as good, but still solid on its own right. I'm very excited to see the multi in Resistance 2 though since it sounds very BF2-like, heavily focused on squads/objectives. Hopefully Insomniac will bring it by 1up [and other publications] so we can get some feedback from people like Shawn.

FartOfWar said:

I played all those games and as much as I liked Resistance, it cant compare to any of them except maybe ETQW (BF1942 is my favorite online FPS game, although you could switch in BF2 and my opinion wouldent change).

I do think if you compare it to other shooters made for consoles, it is maybe the best out there.

FartOfWar said:
Yeah, time to run back to the Brodeo thread before Dragon Ball Budokai tourney players hunt me down.
You will be arguing with notorious console fans (from all platforms). Prepare yourself hard.

No_Style

oo Kosma oo said:
WRIKAWREK DOESNT LIKE SONY GAME.

IN OTHER NEWS SUN WILL RISE IN THE MORNING.

:lol

C'mon GAF! Why are we spending so much time discussing Shawn's disagreement with Resistance?!

WrikaWrek

Banned
oo Kosma oo said:
WRIKAWREK DOESNT LIKE SONY GAME.

IN OTHER NEWS SUN WILL RISE IN THE MORNING.

It's not a sony game to me. It's an insomniac game. I don't care who publishes what.

The inability that Ps3 fans show to separate the waters, in this case the game from the console manufacturer, is really scary.

And i did like Uncharted for example. Obviously, LAIR was a piece of shit, OMG I MUST HATE SONY, I HATE LAIR OMG

Grow up. I look at games and their developers, don't give a fuck who publishes what.

Top Bottom