• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

1UP Yours - 02/15/2008

is it too early for me to start campaigning to have Flynn on again?

...seeing as how i did so for the last 2 months and most thought i was stupid

Kosma

Banned
No_Style said:
:lol

C'mon GAF! Why are we spending so much time discussing Shawn's disagreement with Resistance?!

I really don't mind Shawns opinion. Just Wrikawreks. Because it came as no surprise.

FartOfWar

Banned
WrikaWrek said:
It's not a sony game to me. It's an insomniac game. I don't care who publishes what.

The inability that Ps3 fans show to separate the waters, in this case the game from the console manufacturer, is really scary.

And i did like Uncharted for example. Obviously, LAIR was a piece of shit, OMG I MUST HATE SONY, I HATE LAIR OMG

Grow up. I look at games and their developers, don't give a fuck who publishes what.

Word. The trouble is, so many people see things through these platform-specific lenses that they aren't prepared to even accept the existence of other points of view (see also: the fool in Second Life with rhinestone flip flops who threatened to fuck up my Toxic Aveneger-looking character). This is what I was trying to explain during the whole "I'm not defender of the Wii or PC or whetever" bit. For one, they don't need defending. But mainly, I just talk about games. I really don't care which platform a game is on (interface issues aside). I just like good games.

And this is also why I'm absolutely silent during the NPD section. I was happy to see that I'm not alone when a reader left this in GFW's mailbox:

"Every time I hear podcast crews talking about NPD numbers, I feel like I'm listening to a food critic telling me how much money McDonalds and Applebees are making. Clearly, that's what I should be eating."

Shawn just completely lost me on Resistance. Completely.

Resistance was, and still is, awesome.

I'm a multi-console gamer (360 and PS3) with ready access to all the FPSs on bothe systems, and I've played Resistance more than any other. I've played through the single-player mode alone at least 6 times all the way through. I don't continue to play mediocre games 3-4 times a week for well over a year. It just doesn't happen.

And he honestly compared Crisis to Resistance? That, my friends, is nothing but a troll.

WrikaWrek

Banned
oo Kosma oo said:
I really don't mind Shawns opinion. Just Wrikawreks. Because it came as no surprise.

I didn't even say i hated Resistance either. And i like Motorstorm for example. Oh what am i doing, trying to justify myself to you.

It's either 8 or 80 with you people. "You're either with the family or you're against the family", fuck that i'm a lone wolf anyway.

FartOfWar said:
Word. The trouble is, so many people see things through these platform-specific lenses that they aren't prepared to even accept the existence of other points of view (see also: the fool in Second Life with rhinestone flip flops who threatened to fuck up my Toxic Aveneger-looking character). This is what I was trying to explain during the whole "I'm not defender of the Wii or PC or whetever" bit. For one, they don't need defending. But mainly, I just talk about games. I really don't care which platform a game is on (interface issues aside). I just like good games.

And this is also why I'm absolutely silent during the NPD section. I was happy to see that I'm not alone when a reader left this in GFW's mailbox:

"Every time I hear podcast crews talking about NPD numbers, I feel like I'm listening to a food critic telling me how much money McDonalds and Applebees are making. Clearly, that's what I should be eating."

Man i really think the french fries in Mcdonalds are really shitty, "OMG YOU HATE MCDONALDS, BURGER KING LOVER"

When did i say i hated mcdonalds and loved Burger king? Don't worry, Gaf will let you know.

No_Style

No More Heroes discussion is very similar to what my friends have been telling me. I haven't had the time to try it, but they've echoed what Shawn was talking about.

100% AGREED @ Shane's comment on "The Club being better off as an XBLA or PSN game"

FartOfWar said:
I just like good games.

Fair enough, but in a "5.0 is average" world I think Resistance sits perfectly into "good" territory without a problem. Not fantastic or excellent, but good. You can tell that it's rough around the edges and it needed more time for ideas to develop properly, which i'm sure they'll handle in the sequel.

Kevtones

I see some of Shawn's points about NMH but I don't think its really possible to summarize No More Heroes without having the game, playing it in front of you. There's many smaller details that can't really come through on a podcast it seems.

If anything, I urge you to finish it...

FartOfWar

Banned
_leech_ said:
Fair enough, but in a "5.0 is average" world I think Resistance sits perfectly into "good" territory without a problem. Not fantastic or excellent, but good. You can tell that it's rough around the edges and it needed more time for ideas to develop properly, which i'm sure they'll handle in the sequel.

Ha semantics. OK, make that good "fucking great" games. You know what I mean.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
_leech_ said:
this is why i dislike insom's "WE NEVER MISS A DEADLINE" philosophy

Great show, Shawn brings a breath of fresh air and sanity to the console back and forth bickering. On a side note, I picked up the book River of Doubt that you mentioned a few GFW podcasts ago and im really enjoying it. Thanks!

FartOfWar said:
Ha semantics. OK, make that good "fucking great" games. You know what I mean.

Relax dude, i'm not picking a fight or anything.

I agree with some here that after having played it myself it's a bit on the over-hyped side by it's fans. A launch title for an expensive piece of kit carries way too many expectations. Did they meet them? Nah, but it was still a good effort, especially for a genre they haven't touched in over a decade.

Can we at least agree on that much?

FartOfWar said:

I rarely look or even post in the npd threads on gaf or really care about them for the most part, but it is pretty important stuff considering which games will be getting sequels or devs getting a go ahead on their next project and stuff like that. Right after Bioshock sold really well, that was when there was talk about the next project. Then looking at Uncharted which had pretty poor sales, you have to wonder if the game would get a sequel or ND would get another sizable budget for another game. In terms of hardware numbers, I am not really bothered because I have all three systems, but I can understand why it would suck for someone who bought a PS3 to see it getting low sales considering the slight chance that support for the system would drop and you will see worse ports (Madden at 30 fps on PS3) and that kind of stuff.

FartOfWar

Banned
_leech_ said:
Relax dude, i'm not picking a fight or anything.

I agree with some here that after having played it myself it's a bit on the over-hyped side by it's fans. A launch title for an expensive piece of kit carries way too many expectations. Did they meet them? Nah, but it was still a good effort, especially for a genre they haven't touched in over a decade.

Can we at least agree on that much?

I am relaxed. People imagine the wrong inflections on top of internet text--but do I have to start using smileys? And yeah, we can agree on that.

tanod

when is my burrito
Y2Kev said:
ngai :bow

kittowny call out omg :lol :lol

That's two Kittonwy shout outs on podcast in February. Can he make the hat trick?

He's Canadian. Canadia = Hockey Get it? :p

No_Style

FartOfWar said:

I'm not the biggest advocate of NPD discussions, but that's a terrible comparison and analysis of what NPD numbers are about.

FartOfWar said:
I think you answered your own question.

I think you just exposed yourself.

There's is nothing common between the two to compare the two other than they are both FPSs. From setting, story, enemies, scope, gameplay, ect. Completely apples v. oranges.

And so typical of a PC guy to compare a 1st-gen console launch title with the one game that is supposedly the next best thing to Jesus on the PC.

You didn't get into Resistance. Fine. Many, many people, like me, disagree with you completely. That's fine, too.

I really only have a problem with any of that.

What I did find amusing was the point when you realized you were standing on shaky ground by stopping the down the entire show to voice your opinion on what was at best your kneejerk opinion of briefly playing the game, (further exposed when you had to admit you hadn't played it much at all...not even to the point of giving the multi a shot,) and in a pretty comical attempt to bail out, you suddenly started pulling the rip-cord furiously by bringing Crysis into the discussion.

That's all I was saying. I disagree with you. Completely. This shouldn't be such a unique concept for someone in your position, (I'm sure people disagree with you all the time, and since you make a living putting your opinions out there, you probably get more feedback than most.)

Frankly, I find it curious that you feel the need to defend yourself in regards to my opinion. Is that because you realize you jumped the shark with the Crysis bail out there, Shawn?

Anyway, that's all I'm going to say. I don't want to come of as antagonizing you. I appreciate your work, and your opinion, even when, in this case, we totally disagree. I'll gladly let you have the last word on this issue if you wish, and hopefully, we can get on to discussing more than a sad 1 minute segment of the podcast.

FartOfWar said:
I am relaxed. People imagine the wrong inflections on top of internet text--but do I have to start using smileys? And yeah, we can agree on that.

25rpgz7.gif

aeolist

Banned
I would like to say that I agree with all of Shawn's criticisms of NMH but I still love the game anyway.

It has so many problems it becomes hard to see how someone could score this game well, but I think the positives really make it worth playing and overall enjoyable.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Don Mattrick Microsoft Developer Relationship Scandal, Checks into Rehab, Peter Moore made Conservator of Estate

shifty100

Banned
Oh wrikawrek pull your tongue out of shawns asshole, you sycophantic troll.

all posistions for the banana rydaz are filled.

FartOfWar

Banned
Pristine_Condition said:
I think you just exposed yourself.

There's is nothing common between the two to compare the two other than they are both FPSs. From setting, story, enemies, scope, gameplay, ect. Completely apples v. oranges.

And so typical of a PC guy to compare a 1st-gen console launch title with the one game that is supposedly the next best thing to Jesus on the PC.

You didn't get into Resistance. Fine. Many, many people, like me, disagree with you completely. That's fine, too.

I really only have a problem with any of that.

What I did find amusing was the point when you realized you were standing on shaky ground by stopping the down the entire show to voice your opinion on what was at best your kneejerk opinion of briefly playing the game, (further exposed when you had to admit you hadn't played it much at all...not even to the point of giving the multi a shot,) and in a pretty comical attempt to bail out, you suddenly started pulling the rip-cord furiously by bringing Crysis into the discussion.

That's all I was saying. I disagree with you. Completely. This shouldn't be such a unique concept for someone in your position, (I'm sure people disagree with you all the time, and since you make a living putting your opinions out there, you probably get more feedback than most.)

Frankly, I find it curious that you feel the need to defend yourself in regards to my opinion. Is that because you realize you jumped the shark with the Crysis bail out there, Shawn?

Anyway, that's all I'm going to say. I don't want to come of as antagonizing you. I appreciate your work, and your opinion, even when, in this case, we totally disagree. I'll gladly let you have the last word on this issue if you wish, and hopefully, we can get on to discussing more than a sad 1 minute segment of the podcast.

Dude, we can disagree. You said I was a troll so I asked why. You said for comparing games of the same genre. And so here we are. To be fair, the only reason I used Crysis as the point of comparison rather than Half-Life 2 and its Episodes or Call of Duty 4--which, being more linear might make for a better comparison--is because Bryan pointed out that Resistance's review scores were in the 8s. As I understood he more or less meant, "yeah, well, even the reviews didn't say it was too good." So in looking for an example of just how high of a score an 8 represents for me, I grabbed Crysis. COD4 would've worked just as well.

I really do need to start borrowing some rad smileys like Leech's, cos I'm not even slightly uptight about this. That said, if I'm gonna get called troll I want to genuinely deserve it as I don't play devil's advocate (without stating that I'm doing so) and won't make incendiary remarks that I don't stand by, simply for the sake of entertainment.
Jump2.gif

WrikaWrek

Banned
shifty100 said:
Oh wrikawrek pull your tongue out of shawns asshole, you sycophantic troll.

all posistions for the banana rydaz are filled.

I just don't get this shit. I try, but i just can't understand this kind of shit.

What the fuck is wrong with you people?

xS1TH L0RDx said:

bia5at.jpg

Grow up.

shifty100

Banned
Shawn, resistence sp was average to me so I agree with that, mp was excellent however.

can't compare it with crysis mp, haven't played so it wouldn't be fair to do so.

Banned
oo Kosma oo said:
WRIKAWREK DOESNT LIKE SONY GAME.

IN OTHER NEWS SUN WILL RISE IN THE MORNING.
:lol Last week Wrika was a Nintendo fanboy, the week before he was a sony fanboy and now he is a bitter xbot

Top Bottom