• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

1UP Yours - 02/15/2008

WrikaWrek

Banned
:lol Last week Wrika was a Nintendo fanboy, the week before he was a sony fanboy and now he is a bitter xbot

The life of a sycophantic troll. A true nomad, going against the grain is my game.

Obviously i'm not considered as cool as the little fucking bitches screaming "foul" on me, but i'll manage.

You know those oppressed fucks you meet in real life? Here they have a voice, and they will call you out.

FartOfWar

Banned
No_Style said:
Did you try it?
00667.jpg

shifty100

Banned
WrikaWrek said:
The life of a sycophantic troll. A true nomad, going against the grain is my game.

Obviously i'm not considered as cool as the little fucking bitches screaming "foul" on me, but i'll manage.

You know those oppressed fucks you meet in real life? Here they have a voice, and they will call you out.

Calm down dear, its only a forum.

Flavius

No_Style said:
I'm not the biggest advocate of NPD discussions, but that's a terrible comparison and analysis of what NPD numbers are about.

I would agree. Regardless of their accuracy, the NPD numbers are a great springboard for discussing the gaming industry and current, former, and future market trends...if that sort of thing floats your boat (as it does my own ;)).

It doesn't have to devolve into some sort of pissing contest, or hipster-wannabe checklist.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
*scratches head on the Netflix talk*

Netflix will work on both consoles. I'm confused on the point of that talk.

traveler

Not Wario
I've played through all of Resistance's campaign and I also consider it a fairly average FPS with hints at a very interesting story and some intriguing weapon designs. The enemies (both in terms of AI and variety) as well as the level design just didn't do it for me. (The latter especially- yeah, it was better than the first Halo's copy and paste campaign, but it still felt utterly generic) That said, I (a) haven't played the mp and (b) am still looking forward to the 2nd.

WrikaWrek

Banned
shifty100 said:
Calm down dear, its only a forum.

Irony.

Who wants who wants, selling 2 for 1, only a retard post each, who wants who wants

Wait!? Did i just hear a coin drop? Holy shit sweetheart, you're packing big

WrikaWrek said:
Irony.

Who wants who wants, selling 2 for 1, only a retard post each, who wants who wants

Wait!? Did i just hear a coin drop? Holy shit sweetheart, you're packing big
dude, just shut up... you're not being clever at all.

WrikaWrek

Banned
FartOfWar said:
Yeah, its too long to ride. : O My bad.

I'll just ride Fm08, multi tasking between that and GAf and the podcast. Too bad GAF is messing up my 1upyours session, i guess GAF gotta go till i finish.

Maybe it is true after all, multi tasking and men don't blend well, even though i try hard, it always seem like women have me beat on it.

They can be faking it, eating, listening to oprah and reading a freaking book.

dai said:
dude, just shut up... you're not being clever at all.

Hey look, another teammate. Jesus christ, this is starting to feel like the projects. Gangin' up on me like that!

2wpv4p1.gif

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
WrikaWrek gettin' wrecked y'all, party up in here y'all, Wrika gon throw down his wreck on them sony bots-- KITTOWNY SHOUT OUT Y'ALL--i'm in to nuggets y'all

WrikaWrek

Banned
Bluemercury said:
what do they say about NMH?

What happens before and after a boss battle isn't that interesting or fun.

Still anxious to play it...just waiting for that European release, with no blood... :(

How could Garnett say the story of Yakuza was like the Godfather? Gah, I was so psyched for it, but got horribly disappointed once I made it to the
the underground city and spy network run by the homeless.
Suspension of disbelief flew right the fuck out the window, and never came back. Oy, the game could have treated the Yakuza at least somewhat accurately, but then it move into strange B-Manga territory. Did the ending make up for it? I was so pissed with the story and the
horrible shooting section.
that I stopped and never went back. Then I lost my DVD and was never able to finish.

Oddly enough, I liked the combat.

WrikaWrek

Banned
You know, i felt NGai was trying to defend The Club as a whole when he really just wants to defend the idea.

While the idea, in the drawing board , really sounds nice, execution of such an idea is a really hard feet, and you either hit a homerun that re-defines, in this case, arcade shooters or you get a flop like The Club that falls short of its idea.

It's weird because, when i was hearing him talk about Mass Effect the other day, i agreed with him, in the sense that by trying to re-define the RPG genre by turning it into a 3rd person semi tactical shooter, it ended up failing as a great experience, and while it succeed in, at least conceptually, showing that a RPG can take any shape you want, that it isn't bound by the conventions of the genre, fact is, it fails as a 3rd person shooter, at least in my eyes.

So it was weird to see him defend The Club due to its core idea, and see him, not trash it...but being down on Mass Effect because it doesn't live up to it's idea, which is equal for both these games in different levels, as they both had a core idea that wasn't followed by gameplay mechanics, game design or whatever that lived up to the idea.

At least that's what i think.

listening to the NMH talk finally made me remember what the open world stuff reminds me of most, the game headhunter for the dreamcast. Although, Headhunter had much better motorcycle controls than NMH.

Banned
I completely disagree with your view on No More Heroes, Shawn (Travis Touchdown is a Charles manson esque pervert or something. what?) but I appreciate you talking about it. Thanks Shawn.

Linkzg said:
listening to the NMH talk finally made me remember what the open world stuff reminds me of most, the game headhunter for the dreamcast. Although, Headhunter had much better motorcycle controls than NMH.
That game was surprisingly good.

WrikaWrek

Banned
Linkzg said:

Been saying that from the beginning. But NMH has pedestrians and traffic. Headhunter had a ghost town.

Y2Kev

The cars in NMH are some of the worst looking shit ever. Suda should have been embarrassed when some of those hunk of shits pull up for you to fill up their gas tanks and an N64 model whizzes by.

Not to mention the lawn mowing minigame and Travis' ridiculously lol turning animation.

Man that game is a technical disaster.

Fun though! Gets good once you get to destroyman, which I think is a fun boss battle.

He's totally right about everything between boss battles. You go from point to point to point using a shitty map on your shitty bike (with shitty crash effect that is so annoying) through the shitty town. It should have been cut. The game would have been better without it.

Rolf NB

Excellent, excellent show guys. You somehow managed to have insightful discussion about lots of different topics without getting completely sidetracked and lost. You always came back and wrapped things up nicely.
Everyone contributed well, but major props to Fart for a great not-really-debut. N'Gai really makes for a great guest as well, as he brings in some interesting "broader" topics for the rest of you to play around with.

I'm tired as all fuck and will go to bed now, but that was a really good episode.

Banned
Y2Kev said:
The cars in NMH are some of the worst looking shit ever. Suda should have been embarrassed when some of those hunk of shits pull up for you to fill up their gas tanks and an N64 model whizzes by.

Not to mention the lawn mowing minigame and Travis' ridiculously lol turning animation.

Man that game is a technical disaster.

Fun though! Gets good once you get to destroyman, which I think is a fun boss battle.

He's totally right about everything between boss battles. You go from point to point to point using a shitty map on your shitty bike (with shitty crash effect that is so annoying) through the shitty town. It should have been cut. The game would have been better without it.
What do models and weird animation have to do with technical problems?

Big-E

About the Rock Band/Guitar Hero discussion something I thought would never has happened in my circle of friends. Since Rock Band's release, 7 of my friends have bought the full Rock Band set and have bought systems just for Rock Band.

Y2Kev

What do models and weird animation have to do with technical problems?

The sorts of graphical problems I'm describing are part of the technical presentation. If I were to judge the game's style (which is appealing), I'd talk about its artistic presentation.

I am not even going to argue this point-- it's really messy and rough. There's no reason why it doesn't run at a constant 30 FPS with no texture pop-in and anti-aliasing. I've heard people defend the slowdown as a design decision. Lol and I suppose the nausea that comes along with it was intended.

WrikaWrek

Banned
Y2Kev said:
The sorts of graphical problems I'm describing are part of the technical presentation. If I were to judge the game's style (which is appealing), I'd talk about its artistic presentation.

I am not even going to argue this point-- it's really messy and rough. There's no reason why it doesn't run at a constant 30 FPS with no texture pop-in and anti-aliasing. I've heard people defend the slowdown as a design decision. Lol and I suppose the nausea that comes along with it was intended.

He's just telling you that the models and animations belong to the art department.

Y2Kev

WrikaWrek said:
He's just telling you that the models and animations belong to the art department.

Why? They're not, in my opinion, technically proficient. I have no problems with their designs.

Y2Kev

WrikaWrek said:
Yeah but 3d modeling and animation isn't done by programmers.

I think this is an arbitrary delineation. I'm just going to drop the entire point here since we're basically quibbling now.

WrikaWrek said:
Been saying that from the beginning. But NMH has pedestrians and traffic. Headhunter had a ghost town.

yeah, but the pedestrians in NMH are just extra polygons and textures with no body in the actual world while the traffic was a moving wall. I really liked NMH, but the open world stuff was garbage and wished the game did a Persona 3 style world map where you had a list of places you could go to that were small chunks to walk around in so you could still search for secrets and go to stores and shit like that, but you didnt need the terrible motorcycle driving segments. I also wished that NMH would have had a new game plus where it was a straight action game that took you level to level and got rid of the open world stuff.

the thing I hate the most about the open world is that the start of the game had Travis saying "I know gamers are impatient, thats what..." and they start off with the level right away so you think "awesome! no credits or long ass intro, no teaching me how to play, straight into killing enemies!". Then you beat the first mission and the vibe becomes slow and boring as you waste time between missions. Its like Rambo being a huge action scene at the start ending with him telling someone else "finished? this shit hasnt even started yet" only for the rest of the movie being him carving an arrow.

Banned
Y2Kev said:
Why? They're not, in my opinion, technically proficient. I have no problems with their designs.
What does that even mean. They move, don't they?

If your going to complain about technical problems, then you know stick to them. The art direction is kinda pointless here, especially when you look at the context of what the sandbox is.

Linkzg said:
yeah, but the pedestrians in NMH are just extra polygons and textures with no body in the actual world while the traffic was a moving wall. I really liked NMH, but the open world stuff was garbage and wished the game did a Persona 3 style world map where you had a list of places you could go to that were small chunks to walk around in so you could still search for secrets and go to stores and shit like that, but you didnt need the terrible motorcycle driving segments. I also wished that NMH would have had a new game plus where it was a straight action game that took you level to level and got rid of the open world stuff.

the thing I hate the most about the open world is that the start of the game had Travis saying "I know gamers are impatient, thats what..." and they start off with the level right away so you think "awesome! no credits or long ass intro, no teaching me how to play, straight into killing enemies!". Then you beat the first mission and the vibe becomes slow and boring as you waste time between missions. Its like Rambo being a huge action scene at the start ending with him telling someone else "finished? this shit hasnt even started yet" only for the rest of the movie being him carving an arrow.

I think the problem is the joke became to large a part of the game. Once you obtain enough money, you never have to focus on the overworld again, but it takes a while to gt to that point. The Game would have been better if they just didn't force you to do stuff in the overworld as much as they did, though the overworld should have still existed.

Y2Kev

What does that even mean. They move, don't they?

So if something moves, it's technically proficient? I believe 3d animation is as much a technical skill as it is an artistic one. Something is technically proficient if it has technical merit. I'm talking about poorly animated characters, low-poly environments, a poor framerate, and poor models. I'm not going to blame this on concept artists.

If your going to complain about technical problems, then you know stick to them. The art direction is kinda pointless here, especially when you look at the context of what the sandbox is.

I didn't say anything about the artistic direction. Would anyone ever consider how well a game animates part of its art direction? Did anyone say, "Wow, the art direction in Bioshock is so great. The Big Daddies animate so well."

This is completely absurd now.

edit: WrikaWrek, yeah okay thanks.

WrikaWrek

Banned
Y2Kev said:
I think this is an arbitrary delineation. I'm just going to drop the entire point here since we're basically quibbling now.

It's not an arbitrary delineation. It is what it is. Don't worry about it, it's not a big deal. However, if what happens to the animation is that it gets stuck in a loop sometimes in the game for example, well that's a bug, and that is a technical deficiency.

Car models, if they appear and disappear out of nowhere, or if you can get through them like you could go through all kind of 3d models in that truck game(can't recall the name), then that is also a tech problem.

It's not that what you say isn't understood, i was just trying to tell you what was being talked about. It's cool.

Linkzg said:

Well i'm still waiting for NMH to launch, but it saddens me that the feel of satisfaction one felt when burning out with the bike in Headunter is nowhere to be seen in NMH.

Banned
Y2Kev said:
So if something moves, it's technically proficient? I believe 3d animation is as much a technical skill as it is an artistic one.

Yes. They are low model cars set on scripted paths. They have no reason to really exist. Their role is to move. That's it. That fact that they served their purpose means that is was fine in a technical sense

Y2Kev said:
Something is technically proficient if it has technical merit. I'm talking about poorly animated characters, low-poly environments, a poor framerate, and poor models. I'm not going to blame this on concept artists.
Some of that is technical problems, but poor model characters isn't. Concept artists didn't spend the same amount of time designing Shinobi then they did the chick that walks endlessly on a sidewalk. It sounds like you are looking for reasons to bitch.

Y2Kev said:
I didn't say anything about the artistic direction. Would anyone ever consider how well a game animates part of its art direction? Did anyone say, "Wow, the art direction in Bioshock is so great. The Big Daddies animate so well."

This is completely absurd now.
Wait what. yes the animation of a game is a big deal in it's art direction. Character development is more than just how the character looks. How he/she moves is just as big a deal

Top Bottom