• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2008 NFL Off-Season Thread: Redskins' time to shine!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wellington

BAAAALLLINNN'
First:

09000d5d8067fa0d_gallery_600.jpg

CHAMPS!!!!

Second:

Draft order

Code:
No. 	Team 	W 	L 	Pct. 	Strength of schedule 	Opponents' record
1 	Miami Dolphins 	1 	15 	.063 	.539 	138-118
2 	St. Louis Rams 	3 	13 	.188 	.512 	131-125
3 	Atlanta Falcons 	4 	12 	.250 	.516 	132-124
4 	Oakland Raiders 	4 	12 	.250 	.516 	132-124
5 	Kansas City Chiefs 	4 	12 	.250 	.516 	132-124
6 	New York Jets 	4 	12 	.250 	.523 	134-122
7 	New England Patriots (from 49ers) 	5 	11 	.313 	.465 	119-137
8 	Baltimore Ravens 	5 	11 	.313 	.516 	132-124
9 	Cincinnati Bengals 	7 	9 	.438 	..461 	118-138
10 	New Orleans Saints 	7 	9 	.438 	.480 	123-133
11 	Buffalo Bills 	7 	9 	.438 	.516 	132-124
12 	Denver Broncos 	7 	9 	.438 	.516 	132-124
13 	Carolina Panthers 	7 	9 	.438 	.523 	134-122
14 	Chicago Bears 	7 	9 	.438 	.543 	139-117
15 	Detroit Lions 	7 	9 	.438 	.543 	139-117
16 	Arizona Cardinals 	8 	8 	.500 	.434 	111-145
17 	Minnesota Vikings 	8 	8 	.500 	.504 	129-127
18 	Houston Texans 	8 	8 	.500 	.516 	132-124
19 	Philadelphia Eagles 	8 	8 	.500 	.563 	144-112
20 	Tampa Bay Buccaneers 	9 	7 	.563 	.469 	120-136
21 	Washington Redskins 	9 	7 	.563 	.555 	142-114
22 	Dallas Cowboys (from Browns) 	10 	6 	.625 	.430 	110-146
23 	Pittsburgh Steelers 	10 	6 	.625 	.414 	106-150
24 	Tennessee Titans 	10 	6 	.625 	.453 	116-140
25 	Seattle Seahawks 	10 	6 	.625 	.500 	128-128
26 	Jacksonville Jaguars 	10 	6 	.625 	.516 	132-124
27 	San Diego Chargers 	11 	5 	.688 	.500 	128-128
28 	Dallas Cowboys 	11 	5 	.688 	.516 	132-124
29 	San Francisco 49ers (from Ind.) 	13 	3 	.813 	.469 	120-136
30 	Green Bay Packers 	13 	3 	.813 	.496 	127-129
31 	New York Giants 	13 	3 	.813 	.516 	132-124

Third:

Salary Cap figures

Code:
Rank	Team	$ Under the Cap

San Diego Chargers 

$43.03 M 
There are currently 44  players under contract.

Tennessee Titans 

$40.85 M 
There are currently 39  players under contract.

Miami Dolphins 

$35.56 M 
There are currently 48  players under contract.

Jacksonville Jaguars 

$32.69 M 
There are currently 43  players under contract.

Buffalo Bills 

$32.05 M 
There are currently 49  players under contract.

New Orleans Saints 

$31.69 M 
There are currently 39  players under contract.

Cincinnati Bengals 

$31.45 M 

San Francisco 49ers 

$30.91 M 

Cleveland Browns 

$30.31 M 
There are currently 42  players under contract.

Arizona Cardinals 

$30.27 M 
There are currently 34  players under contract.

NY Jets 

$27.72 M 
There are currently 45  players under contract.

Oakland Raiders 

$25.98 M 
There are currently 40  players under contract.

Tampa Bay Buccaneers 

$25.9 M 

NY Giants 

$24.47 M 

Detroit Lions 

$23.5 M 

Houston Texans 

$22.91 M 

Dallas Cowboys 

$20.61 M 
There are currently 40  players under contract.

Kansas City Chiefs 

$20.27 M 

Chicago Bears 

$19.8 M 
There are currently 52  players under contract.

Pittsburgh Steelers 

$18.61 M 

Green Bay Packers 

$18.37 M 

Philadelphia Eagles 

$17.17 M 

Denver Broncos 

$16.77 M 

Minnesota Vikings 

$14.88 M 

New England Patriots 

$10.93 M 
There are currently 41  players under contract.

St. Louis Rams 

$9.61 M 

Seattle Seahawks 

$9.55 M 

Indianapolis Colts 

$8.49 M 

Carolina Panthers 

$6.05 M 
There are currently 35  players under contract.

Atlanta Falcons 

$5.79 M 
There are currently 52  players under contract.

Baltimore Ravens 

$5 M 

Washington Redskins 

$-20.72 M 

Last:

There is currently one head coaching position open, and that is the Washington Redskins job.

VY will prove all haters wrong and have a QB rating of 85+
The Cheaters will fall from grace as they go under the curse of the Super Bowl loser
Cardinals will still suck
Panthers will slip into oblivion
The AFC South and NFC East games will be amazing
The Saints comeback up

mCACGj

I like where the Eagles are. Perfect position to miss a good wide receiver and draft a shitty defensive lineman. Well it could go the other way around, if they decide to draft a wide receiver in the first round he'll be a bust.

mCACGj said:
I like where the Eagles are. Perfect position to miss a good wide receiver and draft a shitty defensive lineman. Well it could go the other way around, if they decide to draft a wide receiver in the first round he'll be a bust.

Exactly, perma-ban me if the Eagles draft Desean Jackson in the first round. I'll probably go batshit insane on these boards if you don't.

whytemyke

Honorary Canadian.
bionic77 said:
Good job NFL.

And the offseason is the most boring time for the Steelers. Someone forgot to tell the Rooney's about free agency. They think you can only get players from the draft.
aw, don't say that. they know about free agency. look at all the players they watch leave.

Triumph

Banned
lol @ Falcons salary cap woes. That team is not getting good any time soon.

So onto my Pats... my woefully inept Pats...

If, after almost winning the AFC Championship game and then freaking out with all the offseason additions made last year, what will Belijerk do this year? What else can he do- trade for Chad Johnson and sign whatever awesome linebackers are out there? Who knows, but it will be fun to watch, as will the investigation/witch hunt.

Also, Eli is still a wanker.

LJ11

Shockey on the move?

Giants' next big move? Trade Shockey
February 6, 2008

Vinnie Iyer

As recently as last season, it seemed that if the Giants were going to win a Super Bowl with their recent cast of characters, running back Tiki Barber and tight end Jeremy Shockey would need to be integral parts of their success.

Well, the Giants won it all with Barber in retirement and Shockey on injured reserve since Week 15, when he suffered a broken leg against the Redskins. Barber had been their most versatile and productive cogs on offense, while Shockey has been one of their toughest and most athletic offensive talents.

But along with their football skills came their ability to speak out, sometimes critically, about teammates and coaches. Barber's articulate manner of sharing his opinions works perfectly in his current gig as NBC Sports analyst, but it rubbed some people the wrong way (see: Eli Manning) in his former NFL role.

Shockey is still a Giant, but that's easy to forget with the way Manning and the offense performed in his absence, winning four away games in five weeks to emerge as Super Bowl 42 champions. In particular, Shockey's replacement in the lineup -- humble, quiet rookie Kevin Boss -- played well and made some key catches, including a huge 45-yarder in the 17-14 victory over New England in Glendale, Ariz.

And there's the fact Shockey wasn't on the sideline when the Giants beat the Patriots. It is understandable that with his injury, it might have been more comfortable for him to watch the game from where he did (in a booth upstairs with an adult beverage in hand). But it still seemed weird that one of the team's best players wasn't situated near his active teammates.

Shockey wasn't at the Giants' ticker-tape celebratory parade on Tuesday afternoon, either. He was exactly where I was from approximately 10:55 a.m. Mountain Time to 2:00 p.m. Central Time -- on American Airlines Flight 2222 from Phoenix to Dallas/Fort Worth. It was understandable that, especially because of his injury, he was sitting way up with the elite in first class -- while I was several rows back because of Sporting News' limited travel budget, my own 6-4, 250-plus frame cramped in coach.

For Shockey to remain among the elite on the field, there are a couple things that need to happen: 1) He must recover well from that broken leg and stay durable, and 2) The Giants need to trade him in the offseason.

I love the way Shockey plays the game, with reckless abandon and no fear of getting hurt. His toughness is awesome, whether he is blocking for the running game or about to take a licking while running an intermediate route. He has been quite productive as a receiver for New York, but because he has been plagued by nagging ailments during his six-year career, he still has considerable upside to break out in the vein of Antonio Gates or Jason Witten.

I just think that breakout needs to happen away from New York. The Giants would be in good shape going forward with Boss, and Shockey is too talented not to earn them a pretty decent draft pick in return. Meanwhile, Shockey would have a greater impact on a young, up-and-coming team with his fired-up style.

The situation wouldn't need to be personal between the Giants and Shockey. Sometimes, player-team relationships need to end for the greater benefit of both parties. The Giants should certainly feel confident in their ability to win big without Shockey, and Shockey, who turns 28 in August, still should have plenty left to prove. Plus, the Giants have plenty of salary-cap room to absorb any potential financial hit in dealing Shockey.

There are some current tight end-hungry teams that would help Shockey shine brighter, even away from the neon lights on Broadway. The Giants should shop Shockey to one of these five teams, and look to keep their Super edge by upgrading through the draft.

1. Bills. A young quarterback's best friend is a top tight end -- just ask Philip Rivers, Derek Anderson or Tony Romo. Trent Edwards already has an explosive running back in Marshawn Lynch and a big-play wideout in Lee Evans. Shockey would help all three of those men be more productive, demanding attention over the middle to open up the rest of the field. He also would be embraced as a superstar quickly by a blue-collar fan base in another part of New York.

2. Buccaneers. OK, you might think Tampa gets fired up enough with Jon Gruden making faces on the sideline, but the team also needs another athletic threat in the passing game to take pressure off aging Joey Galloway and draw a safety/linebacker away from stopping a strong Bucs strong ground game that is fueled by their fine young run blockers. You can also bet Gruden, with his West Coast passing offense acumen, would make Shockey very happy by getting the ball to him often.

3. Titans. Vince Young might like throwing to his former Texas teammate Bo Scaife, but I have a feeling Jeff Fisher would love to have the gritty Shockey as his third-year quarterback's go-to guy on shorter routes. Tennessee also has major issues at wide receiver, but Shockey would give them a playmaker who helps open up those deeper routes.

4. Dolphins. Going from first to worst may not sound great, but Miami needs a personality like Shockey's to charge up its dormant offense. In addition to getting Ronnie Brown back healthy to be a versatile star, the Dolphins would really help young John Beck by bringing in Shockey to be an equally tough medium receiving threat. Plus, I have a feeling Shockey has been to South Beach a few times.

5. Jets. Again, it's another trade destination with a young quarterback -- Kellen Clemens -- who would love to have the ultimate security blanket at tight end. With Laveranues Coles and Jerricho Cotchery stretching the field, there would be plenty of room for Shockey to roam on underneath routes. Best part for Shockey? He would still be playing for New York.

bionic77

whytemyke said:
aw, don't say that. they know about free agency. look at all the players they watch leave.
A lot of them ended up as busts too.

But yeah I wish the Steelers would try and pursue some decent FAs every once in awhile. I don't want to see them become the Redskins, but you can always fill some important positions with mid-tier players.

LJ11

Triumph said:
lol @ Falcons salary cap woes. That team is not getting good any time soon.

So onto my Pats... my woefully inept Pats...

If, after almost winning the AFC Championship game and then freaking out with all the offseason additions made last year, what will Belijerk do this year? What else can he do- trade for Chad Johnson and sign whatever awesome linebackers are out there? Who knows, but it will be fun to watch, as will the investigation/witch hunt.

Also, Eli is still a wanker.

Cut Stallworth, his cap hit is pretty big.

bionic77 said:
Good job NFL.

And the offseason is the most boring time for the Steelers. Someone forgot to tell the Rooney's about free agency. They think you can only get players from the draft.

Well for as long as I can remember the Steelers have been one of the most consistent franchises in the league, so I guess they tend to stick with what works.

And look at the Giants this past season, who was their biggest FA signing? Kawika Mitchell? Yet rookies like Aaron Ross, Steve "Smiff" Smith, Ahmad Bradshaw, and Kevin Boss came up HUGE over the course of the season and all kicked in something to win a championship.

Tamanon

Banned
KilledByBill said:
Well for as long as I can remember the Steelers have been one of the most consistent franchises in the league, so I guess they tend to stick with what works.

And look at the Giants this past season, who was their biggest FA signing? Kawika Mitchell? Yet rookies like Aaron Ross, Steve "Smiff" Smith, Ahmad Bradshaw, and Kevin Boss came up HUGE over the course of the season and all kicked in something to win a championship.

Ironically enough, the one year the Pats decided to be huge on the whole free agent/trade market, they get beat by a team that builds through the draft mainly.

bionic77

KilledByBill said:

It worked under Cowher that is true.

But we really need to rebuild our offensive line quickly. I wouldn't mind if we spent some money to fill some holes. Otherwise Ben is going to get killed again this season.

Striker

Media overblowing Shockey not attending the parade. He's on crutches. They also are bashing him for not being on the sidelines during the actual game.

He isn't going anywhere -- nor should he.

Also, per ESPN, Giants are prepared to make Spags the highest paid DC in the NFL.

Wellington

BAAAALLLINNN'
Striker said:
Media overblowing Shockey not attending the parade. He's on crutches. They also are bashing him for not being on the sidelines during the actual game.

He isn't going anywhere -- nor should he.

Also, per ESPN, Giants are prepared to make Spags the highest paid DC in the NFL.
If Spags and Strahan come back next year, the Giants D could turn into one of the top D's of our time. A second year in this new system, an off-season to address what the glaring holes were (S, big ol' DT), and another year of Ross/Webster improving. Could be something really special. If Kiwanuka stayed healthy all year and kept the four aces package intact, we'd have had 60 sacks on the season.

Andokuky

Banned
Is this the offseason where Denver finally realizes they should go after a good defensive lineman? Probably not :(

Hunter D

Wellington said:
If Spags and Strahan come back next year, the Giants D could turn into one of the top D's of our time. A second year in this new system, an off-season to address what the glaring holes were (S, big ol' DT), and another year of Ross/Webster improving. Could be something really special. If Kiwanuka stayed healthy all year and kept the four aces package intact, we'd have had 60 sacks on the season.
One can only pray. The sad thing about Kiwa's injury is that it was caused by a teammate. He would have had 10+ sacks this year if he didn't get hurt and probably could have been a probowler.

themadcowtipper

Smells faintly of rancid stilton.
Bernard_Berrian.jpg

He Sure is going to look great in a Saint's Uniform next season. Dont worry BB, Drew Bress will get you the ball, unlike Rex "Screw it I'm going deep" Grossman.

"And with the 10th overall pick the New Orleans Saints select".....

F258797.JPG

Sedrick Ellis

themadcowtipper said:
Bernard_Berrian.jpg

He Sure is going to look great in a Saint's Uniform next season. Dont worry BB, Drew Bress will get you the ball, unlike Rex "Screw it I'm going deep" Grossman.

"And with the 10th overall pick the New Orleans Saints select".....

You do realize that Berrian only knows how to run in a straight line...

Well, he might actually be good for you guys, since you already have an awesome possession receiver (i hate that term) in Colston and he can just go deep.

Ellis is a stud though.

themadcowtipper

Smells faintly of rancid stilton.
sorryaboutdresden said:
You do realize that Berrian only knows how to run in a straight line...

Well, he might actually be good for you guys, since you already have an awesome possession receiver (i hate that term) in Colston and he can just go deep.

Ellis is a stud though.

Berrian has to be Better then the speed guy we have now "Devery "Can't catch for Shite "Henderson......

Meier

I'd LOVE it if we could trade for Shockey provided we didn't give up too much. The 20th pick is such a shitty spot.. ugh. We desperately need another real threat on offense -- time to cut Michael Clayton loose.

We picked up some great young talent on defense last year -- need to add a little more depth there, but we have to add a playmaker or three.

Shocky can come on over to the Seahawks. We desperately need a TE and it would be hard to argue against trying to make a move for someone of his talent.

Gigglepoo

Tamanon said:
Ironically enough, the one year the Pats decided to be huge on the whole free agent/trade market, they get beat by a team that builds through the draft mainly.

Ha! That's actually a great point. Every draft pick played a prominent roll for the Giants this year (and Ross was indispensable) whereas only Merriweather played for the Patriots, a backup safety.

Tom Penny said:
How the hell does SD have so much cap money. I'll be very angry if they become the new AFC powerhouse.

A lot of those numbers likely are speculation. Close cap numbers usually only come out around March.

GCQuinton

Off the top of my head, Carolina could definitely use some help at the following positions:

Safety - Same deal as last season. Deke Cooper did okay, but isnt' a long-term answer.
Quarterback - Delhomme SHOULD be fine, and Matt Moore did pretty good but if they're not sold on him they need to be grooming a successor now because David Carr ain't it.
Defensive End - Rucker's coming back, but he's still up there in age. Not to mention he's coming off of a down year.
Offensive Tackle - Both starting tackles (Gross and Wharton) are free agents, so a draft pick could be going here too.

And Shockey's welcome in Carolina if the Giants don't want him :D

themadcowtipper said:
Berrian has to be Better then the speed guy we have now "Devery "Can't catch for Shite "Henderson......
he's not coming to the saints, he's going to the niners. Rumors been around for sometime now. :(

Rorschach

Karakand said:
Hell yeah top 5 pick (again). I bet we could snag a game-changing safety this year!
Maybe they'll trade away the pick and we won't get jack! To be fair, there are no real standout WRs this year and we do need a FS. It wouldn't be such a bad investment. :p

Btw- check out all the people who only had 07 left on their contracts:

***Nnamdi Asomugha <3<3
Daunte "Karakand's Boy"/"top 5" Lolpepper
McClown
*Newberry
*Green
*Huggy Bear's Kid
Tim Dwight
Sam Williams
Tyler "Put me in coach!" Brayton
*Jake Grove
Schweigert
*Tommy Kelly
*Clemons
Carr
Madsen
Eugene

*players that matter because they're great or have no one that could take their place yet
***People Al Davis better not let go if he knows what's good for him. Road trip as soon as it happens! >:|

And then there's the people who will want out or are retiring like Jordan and Sapp.

Karakand

my name is ed said:
is huff no good? he kinda took a while to be all world at texas
I was being sarcastic.

I still hate Huff being drafted top 10 though. Horrible, horrible stuff.

Rorschach said:
Daunte "Karakand's Boy"/"top 5" Lolpepper
He just wins games!

edit: If Asomugha leaves......... ugggggggggh.

Rorschach

my name is ed said:
is huff no good? he kinda took a while to be all world at texas
He's got a lot of potential, but he hasn't been good in coverage for the most part. I say he's great in a couple of years.

If the Raiders let Asomugha go, Roger Goodell needs to hire a mercenary to put a bullet in Al Davis for letting his franchise become the laughing stock of the NFL. I hope for their sake JRus works out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom