• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2010 Steam Holiday Sale Thread: of GAF collectively handing over wallet to Based Gabe

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rufus

AppleMIX said:
http://oi53.tinypic.com/205xmvd.jpg

Anyone else having this problem? It will download for a couple seconds and then drop to zero then go back to downloading before stopping again.
Same. Try changing the download location in the options. (Settings > Downloads+Cloud)

Dambrosi

Banned
vader_thumbs_up.jpg

Thanks to Volcynika for his generous offer, gratefully accepted.

~Kinggi~

Banned
bought Mirror Edge, Serious Sam Gold, and EVE Online just to try it. Not bad for 14$.

I am still very up in the air about NVWN 2 pack. After hearing it has serious engine problems im wary.

Does it run in widescreen resolution?

Maybe some of you guys downloading it with ATI cards like a 4870x2 can give me some feedback after you try it. Its very tempting since i like rpgs but i would not be crazy about playing the game at 10 fps with my 3.4 ghz pc. I hve vista 64 btw

trinest

:lol The other day I was like "I want Sim City super cheap" then I was like "haahaa, they'd put CityXL before that". and today I was like thats what they did! Ha!

To bad its crap compaired to Sim City and like way to much.

Piggus

Has anyone here tried Cities XL? I love SimCity type games and have always wanted to try it, but I suppose I should get a second opinion first.

trinest

Accuarly I might pick up XL2011, the original XL was alright- but really really not fleshed out. I'd rather Sim City (heck its cheaper then XL at this time)- but I'm wondering whats been changed between XL and XL 2011. Didn't the developer change for one? (as didn't the original developer when bankreput- or am I remembering things wrong). What about Online etc? Is the game all online? etc.

\
Piggus said:
Has anyone here tried Cities XL? I love SimCity type games and have always wanted to try it, but I suppose I should get a second opinion first.
I played the original- but only the beta. Never picked up the full game because it didn't click on me- and at the time they made pretty much half the game pay-to-play which I'm pretty sure the developers decided that was a shit idea so don't do that no more. I think that was my real only gripe with it. Other then that it was fun- but it just felt it never went anywhere compaired to Sim City- even though arguably the Cities XL is the better one. For me it was iddno- maybe I should give it another chance.

gotee12

Cellbomber said:
I've asked twice with the same response you got. I guess we are on the wrong forum to be asking this question.

A few YouTube videos I watched make it look like a great experience. I just don't know if there is any actual gameplay elements.
Cities XL 2011 isn't bad. There's a ton of info to help with determining the health of the city, crime rates, pollution, congestion and happiness of the people. The tutorial is very janky though it will show you what you need to know. The landscapes you build off of are varied and fairly interesting. The game also does a great job of properly placing your buildings/housing/etc. on the varied landscapes (hills/mountains/etc.) I bought it at $30 and I think that $20 is a pretty decent price for it. I've really enjoyed it thus far.

My biggest issue with the game is that it does NOT support multicore processors. My 3.0GB Athlon X4 runs it fine though even with the game only utilizing one core. Also, there are memory leak problems that crop up during multi-hour play. Supposedly a save/restart resolves it. (Haven't encountered that one yet.)

*Full Disclosure: I haven't played SimCity 4 so I have no recent city builders to compare it to.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
Hmmm... is NWN 2 worth it? I remember hearing a lot of bad stuff about it when it first came out, and I'm worried that it's a pretty generic game... is it?

kai3345

Banned
Chacranajxy said:
Hmmm... is NWN 2 worth it? I remember hearing a lot of bad stuff about it when it first came out, and I'm worried that it's a pretty generic game... is it?
Mask of the Betrayer is great, the rest is pretty generic

My disc copy of Kotor runs very sluggish even with decreased performance. Is there any chance the steam version would run better on my computer? I highly doubt it but I want to double dip.

trinest

gotee12 said:
Cities XL 2011 isn't bad. There's a ton of info to help with determining the health of the city, crime rates, pollution, congestion and happiness of the people. The tutorial is very janky though it will show you what you need to know. The landscapes you build off of are varied and fairly interesting. The game also does a great job of properly placing your buildings/housing/etc. on the varied landscapes (hills/mountains/etc.) I bought it at $30 and I think that $20 is a pretty decent price for it. I've really enjoyed it thus far.

My biggest issue with the game is that it does NOT support multicore processors. My 3.0GB Athlon X4 runs it fine though even with the game only utilizing one core. Also, there are memory leak problems that crop up during multi-hour play. Supposedly a save/restart resolves it. (Haven't encountered that one yet.)

*Full Disclosure: I haven't played SimCity 4 so I have no recent city builders to compare it to.
I enjoyed XL (the original not 2011) and from doing a google search it seems 2011 has everything which wasn't finished in the game as well as a the metro feature.

But how does it play in general? Like is it an online world? or is it a local world? can I have regions of a huge plan which can be technically another city etc?

The trailer left me confused in how they implemented the city/globe thing this time around.

Piggus

trinest said:
Accuarly I might pick up XL2011, the original XL was alright- but really really not fleshed out. I'd rather Sim City (heck its cheaper then XL at this time)- but I'm wondering whats been changed between XL and XL 2011. Didn't the developer change for one? (as didn't the original developer when bankreput- or am I remembering things wrong). What about Online etc? Is the game all online? etc.

\
I played the original- but only the beta. Never picked up the full game because it didn't click on me- and at the time they made pretty much half the game pay-to-play which I'm pretty sure the developers decided that was a shit idea so don't do that no more. I think that was my real only gripe with it. Other then that it was fun- but it just felt it never went anywhere compaired to Sim City- even though arguably the Cities XL is the better one. For me it was iddno- maybe I should give it another chance.

Thanks. :) I'll give it a try then. I love Sim City 4 but it runs like garbage on my system for some reason... And it's not like I have an old PC. Q6600 @ 3.5Ghz, Radeon 5850, 8gbs PC6400, etc. :/

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Rated-Rsuperstar said:
My disc copy of Kotor runs very sluggish even with decreased performance. Is there any chance the steam version would run better on my computer? I highly doubt it but I want to double dip.

It's the exact same game, why would it run better? :lol

Phew! Nothing on sale today that stands out.

The Nostalgic BonesMcCoy in me wants to jump for KotoR, but I feel $2.75 is still too high. Lulz.

jediyoshi

Thank God, nothing for me today. Was going to bite on the Killing Floor DLC but I figure I'm never going to play as anything other than the TF2 pyro.

Wings of Prey DRM = so bad. There really should be a disclaimer alongside the CD Key prompt detailing the authentication process.

gotee12

trinest said:
I enjoyed XL (the original not 2011) and from doing a google search it seems 2011 has everything which wasn't finished in the game as well as a the metro feature.

But how does it play in general? Like is it an online world? or is it a local world? can I have regions of a huge plan which can be technically another city etc?

The trailer left me confused in how they implemented the city/globe thing this time around.
No online that I've found. The globe just allows you to select different geographic regions (ie difficulty) to build on. Trade with other cities is with the AI. There's a lot of depth with the trade system (based on the tutorial). I havent even attempted that yet. I'm still trying to get a successful >100,000 population city! :lol

(sorry for short answers. Currently only near my phone.)

kennah

I jus want to say that PB Winterbottom is a lot of fun for 50cents. I want to print up the between level panels as a childrens book.

Servbot #42

Unconfirmed Member
Umm i'm mildy interested in Victoria I Complete since i have heard good things about it but i'm worried it's gonna be too complicated for me, anyone that owns the game can tell me if the learning curve is too hard?

Zachack

~Kinggi~ said:
bought Mirror Edge, Serious Sam Gold, and EVE Online just to try it. Not bad for 14$.

I am still very up in the air about NVWN 2 pack. After hearing it has serious engine problems im wary.

Does it run in widescreen resolution?

Maybe some of you guys downloading it with ATI cards like a 4870x2 can give me some feedback after you try it. Its very tempting since i like rpgs but i would not be crazy about playing the game at 10 fps with my 3.4 ghz pc. I hve vista 64 btw
My system is an e8400 with a 4850 and 4gb ram. NWN2 runs fine at 1440x900 (I tend to run games at this rez) and I think with shadows lowered a bit, although offhand I'm not sure. The game is not a visual powerhouse so you aren't missing out on some incredible scenes by turning the gfx down a bit.

Bebpo

Banned
I'm kind of afraid to buy patch heavy/mod-heavy old wrpgs on steam due to compatibility. I like that when I get the old wrpgs on GOG I know all the mods/patches work no problem. So before I bite on NWN2, does anyone know if everything is compatible? I realize that since NWN2 JUST came out on steam there probably isn't an answer to this and so I kind of want to wait and see, but then I kind of want to get it at this price :X

JudgeN

~Kinggi~ said:

Does it run in widescreen resolution
?

Yes it supports wide screen, game not that old :lol

Wasn't trying to scare you, just give people some warning. Your PC will play the game just fine :lol

JudgeN said:
Yes it supports wide screen, game not that old :lol

Wasn't trying to scare you, just give people some warning. Your PC will play the game just fine :lol

Seriously, the game doesn't run that terribly, just do as was recommended and you'll be fine. Patches and expansions have helped resolve many of the original issues.

Bebpo said:
I'm kind of afraid to buy patch heavy/mod-heavy old wrpgs on steam due to compatibility. I like that when I get the old wrpgs on GOG I know all the mods/patches work no problem. So before I bite on NWN2, does anyone know if everything is compatible? I realize that since NWN2 JUST came out on steam there problem isn't an answer to this and so I kind of want to wait and see, but then I kind of want to get it at this price :X

This game isn't even GOG old at this point. As mentioned, I don't even think there are many mods for it? The latest expansion for this came out in 2009.

KaYotiX

Banned
Really tempted to grab Cities XL 2011, i love city games and really want something newer than Sim City 4 (played it to death already)

Wish it was $10 then i wouldnt even think twice

kennah

I <3 Memes said:
Well, one of the benefits of indie game is that usually the developers aren't too difficult to contact. I was going to talk to them first. If only for printable versions of the art.

Bebpo said:
I'm kind of afraid to buy patch heavy/mod-heavy old wrpgs on steam due to compatibility. I like that when I get the old wrpgs on GOG I know all the mods/patches work no problem. So before I bite on NWN2, does anyone know if everything is compatible? I realize that since NWN2 JUST came out on steam there probably isn't an answer to this and so I kind of want to wait and see, but then I kind of want to get it at this price :X

I'm with you on this, but as the poster above me says, maybe this game is probably not old enough to be on GOG, or for mods to be necessary for a drastic overhaul?

In either case, my backlog of long-ass D&D CRPGs alone is years long at this point, so I'm going to hold off for a bit.

Bebpo

Banned
Well I ended up taking the bite because at the end of the day it's $10. If it turns out the steam version has problems, it won't be a huge money loss and eventually it'll be on GOG.

Zachack

Bebpo said:
I updated NWN2 when I installed it last year using the built-in autopatcher. I'd assume that the Platinum install is fully patched.

Can't speak to mods but this isn't a case of TOEE where you have to install a huge fanpatch. The game (seemed to) work fine on its own. If there are mods I'd love to know, though. Anything for the interface.

gotee12 said:
No online that I've found. The globe just allows you to select different geographic regions (ie difficulty) to build on. Trade with other cities is with the AI. There's a lot of depth with the trade system (based on the tutorial). I havent even attempted that yet. I'm still trying to get a successful >100,000 population city! :lol

(sorry for short answers. Currently only near my phone.)
Thanks for the feedback on the game. I'll definately check it out at some point but it may not be during this sale. I still have a lot to play so I'll wait for another drop in price.

Minsc

Gold Member
Bebpo said:

Buy it! It's $10, the same price as if it were on GOG, there's no required mods to enjoy it, it's got a ton of content (60+ hours). It is pretty new, though stuff like King's Bounty and The Witcher 2 are showing up on GOG, so the chances of it showing up aren't nil, probably just a tad below average. If you wait it out, it'll probably end up there at some point.

I haven't played the NWN2 since 2009, when I got MoW, and I just ran the auto-updater today, and no new patches since 2 years ago, so I wouldn't worry about the Steam version, it's going to be the latest.

I'll be checking retail save/MoW compatibility whenever it finishes downloading.

Ceebs

Just tried the demo of that Fortix game before buying the the Indie Fantasy pack. Much to my surprise it's a fantasy themed Qix style game.

hlhbk

Isn't Neverwinter nights 2 primarily an online RPG with a almost non existent story? I play games for stories so if the story isn't one of its strongest points its a pretty big deal to me.

FireFly

AppleMIX said:
Anyone else having this problem? It will download for a couple seconds and then drop to zero then go back to downloading before stopping again.
Yeah, I got that as well. It's back to normal now, though.

Im_Special

Does the Steam version of NWN2 + expansions still have that nasty DRM (Securom / activation limits)? I remember the box versions causing a whole load of problems like disk drives not working because of it's DRM. Can anyone find any info on this new Steam release?

Durante

hlhbk said:
Isn't Neverwinter nights 2 primarily an online RPG with a almost non existent story? I play games for stories so if the story isn't one of its strongest points its a pretty big deal to me.
No, that's NWN1.

Okay then, I have a small problem.

See, I have my drive partitioned into 2 sections for stability. Partition 2 is where Steam and Oblivion chill. Both of these partitions have 125 GB of space in them.

Partition 2 has 2GB left
Partition 1 is sitting pretty with 60GB left (it holds non-Steam games)

Is there any way to have Steam use another Paritition for future games? If not, I'll have to unistall a few Steam games or see if I can move Oblivion (which is nerely a bloated 9 gigs with mods). Mirror's Edge was the last game, and I even had to clear out some old Source mods, maps and a bulk of old Oblivion save files to make room for that.

I'll have to install New Vegas in about 2 weeks, and I just don't know if that is going to be possible. I doubt I'll buy more games from this Steam sale, but I know NV is going to be installed in 2 weeks (my brother's birthday present).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom