• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2010 Steam Holiday Sale Thread: of GAF collectively handing over wallet to Based Gabe

Status
Not open for further replies.
To those who jumped on the King Arthur sale: This game is actually quite good! The battle-mode landscapes and units are much prettier than Medieval Total War 2 and 13th Century, and the game is far more optimized.

is there some sort of equation to these steam sales?? seems this year there hasn't been much ive wanted. I have bought about 5 games, but damn, prior years I already put in about 50 dollars into steam. this year, not so much...

The people who constantly have problems installing and playing games are really unlucky. I've installed and played nearly half my library(150+ games in total) and I've never had a single bug or glitch that broke the game and did not allow it to install.

Feel bad for these guys who keep having problems...
I <3 Memes said:
Everybody has problems when they first become pc gamers. But why do you put friend in quotation marks?
Probably an acquaintance of his who has a shitty perception of what constitutes a good game. He mentioned him before in another thread.

I <3 Memes said:
2q84p4i.jpg

So yes? No? I understand that's the company that brings out Transformers but..

Pappasman

So far I've bought VVVVVV, Morrowind, and the Indie Beat pack.

I'm wondering if i should go for FFXI. I've never played an MMO before...

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
Darklord said:
Can I apply the widescreen mod to the steam version of Kotor?
Anyone know about this?

amrod

Activision is shit on the steam sales..

No Transformers, Prototype, Wolfenstein, 007 or Call of Duty: World at War on sale :(

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
So I can't launch kotor directly from steam if I do, bummer.

Rorschach

ismaboof said:
TF2 is bigger than 6 gigs
But it says 6 gigs when you dl it. I think that's pre-patch size. It's like 8 gigs total you have to dl. No worries, though, it gets all of it even though it doesn't show that it's 8 when you start it.

Okay. I'll just let it run overnight. Why there would be a six gig patch and/or I would need to redownload them all again is beyond me.

Minsc

Gold Member
ElectricThunder said:
Probably gotta get NWN2 Platinum----though I don't suppose anybody can do the hero's work of finding out if you can still get the Westgate Premium Module to work with the Steam edition? Looks like that one is only available via Atari's store....

Well I tried it, and Westgate does not work, even after modifying the registry and getting it to show up in the list of campaigns.

Gotta hope someone can hack the installer to install properly.

Saved games from the retail version load fine, don't even have to move them!

WEGGLES

FleckSplat said:
Okay. I'll just let it run overnight. Why there would be a six gig patch and/or I would need to redownload them all again is beyond me.
I bought TF2 at Microcenter this summer and there was a 4GB update needed after I had installed it. Lotta hats/maps/weapons/australium I guess. :lol

Ruzai

Picked up the Serious Sam pack, and ended up with an extra copy of First Encounter HD, and while figuring out how to handle gifting, discovered that I have an extra copy of King's Bounty: The Legend from god knows when.

If anybody would like either of these, PM me with your Steam ID, state which of the two you want and I'll gift it. One game per person, first come, first served.

EDIT: Both games have been claimed.

Oreoleo

ismaboof said:
TF2 is bigger than 6 gigs

Rorschach said:
But it says 6 gigs when you dl it. I think that's pre-patch size. It's like 8 gigs total you have to dl. No worries, though, it gets all of it even though it doesn't show that it's 8 when you start it.

Probably has something to do with already having part of the source engine on your PC for L4D/HL2/Alien Swarm or whatever. You don't redownload those parts for each source engine game.

Finally got round to playing some of these games.

Lara Croft and the Guardian of Light - 0_0 simply incredible

Super Meat Boy - <3 downloadable GOTY

Trials 2 - :( because it controls like shit compared with Trials HD

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
Minsc said:
Well I tried it, and Westgate does not work, even after modifying the registry and getting it to show up in the list of campaigns.

Gotta hope someone can hack the installer to install properly.

Saved games from the retail version load fine, don't even have to move them!
It's pretty disappointing that it didn't even include Westgate to begin with. Wonder if they'll release it later on steam.:lol

Tchu-Espresso

likes mayo on everthing and can't dance
I've just downloaded Steam and my first game from it.

A few questions:

1) What is the difference between Steam and Amazon? Can i get games i downloaded in Amazon to show up in steam?
2) How do i change the install location for steam games? I have a feeling they install to the c:/ when i dont want that.

Thanks.

JDS 1977

Banned
Lara Croft and the Guardian of Light. Bought this a few days ago and finished it today. It's awesome. I love when platforming and stuff is fun and not agonizingly rough with checkpoints and 5 minute do overs. They really nailed the fun and approachability with this game.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
The Black Brad Pitt said:

A few questions:

1) What is the difference between Steam and Amazon? Can i get games i downloaded in Amazon to show up in steam?
2) How do i change the install location for steam games? I have a feeling they install to the c:/ when i dont want that.

Thanks.
1.)Yes, you can add external games to Steam. Go to the lower left corner of your Games tab, and there's an "add a game" option.

Yeef

A few questions:

Thanks.
You can add any game (or program) to steam by going to Games > Add a Non-Steam game to my library. Steam will launch the game with the Steam overlay enabled and also let all of your friends know what you're playing, but it won't keep track of Steam-specific like achievements, latest news and patches for the game, which of your friends have played the game and/or are currently playing the game, etc..

Amazon and Steam are two completely different services. I haven't used Amazon's game download service, so I don't know what the specific differences are though. Keep in mind that some games, such as Fallout: New Vegas and Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 use Steamworks. Basically, no matter where you buy them from they'll install Steam (if you don't already have it) and add be added to your Steam account.

Steam games save to [Steam Folder]/steamapps. The Steam Folder is wherever you installed Steam. If you didn't change it the default location is C:\Program Files\Steam.

Non-Source games generally will have their files located in steamapps\common\[game]

Source games (those based on Valve's engine, such as Half-life 2, Left 4 Dead and Team Fortress 2) will generally be installed under steamapps\[user]\[game] where [user] is your steam login name.

Picked up Serious Sam, NWN2 and some Killing FLoor DLC. I was tempted by Machinarium but I already have it from somewhere else.

I would love to see NWN2 updated with SteamPlay. Hopefully the toolset and mods will work at some stage if they don't already.

A few questions:

Thanks.

You install non-Steam games wherever you want, they can be retail releases or even off of some other DD services (that don't have their own client). To add them to Steam, simply click on +Add A Game in the lower left hand of the Steam client and then select Add A Non-Steam Game. The non-Steam game will be added to your game list, so the launch shortcut is in Steam instead of on your desktop.

For example I have Minecraft and Starcraft II added to my Steam list.

CaptainAhab said:
There are always tons of people playing it.

That's good to hear. I've been looking for a new multiplayer game for a bit now, hopefully this or bad Company 2 will fit the bill, at least for a short while.

sfried

I got Knights of The PC Republic since it doesn't crush my computer like a little baby and also wanted to know what the deal was with this particular PC RPGs (I refuse to use the term "WRPG"s and whatnot. Yes I know it came out on XBox etc.).

kamspy

Varna said:
Does NWN2 still run like shit on nearly every system?

From what I've gathered, yes.

I'm gonna install my disks tonight and see if it's worth double dipping in the morning. I'll post my technical impressions. Pretty average machine. AMD quad, 275 GTX, W7 x64.

I'd love to see them running at an unwavering 60fps, but since the game is apparently singled threaded, this might not be the case.

On the bright side my 955 overclocks to 3.8 with no extra voltage, so I'll have a shot at powering away with one core.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
Nothing for me today. I will pick up NWN2 eventually, but I don't need to overspend for it now, since I probably won't get to it for a very long time.

Minsc

Gold Member
Mysteries of Westgate does work with the Steam version! :)

I just had to manually copy the .hak files and movie files and key file to the steam directory, the installer didn't stick them there.

To be honest, I'm not sure if the installer would even install without the retail version, but if you're adventurous, you can definitely use the Steam version of NWN2 to play MoW assuming you can install it somehow.

Varna said:
Does NWN2 still run like shit on nearly every system?

Putting shadows to low (with every other option maxed) I get 30-60fps on a 5870 + 3.3Ghz i7 CPU, not unbearable, nothing like my last machine anyway.

amrod said:
Activision is shit on the steam sales..

No Transformers, Prototype, Wolfenstein, 007 or Call of Duty: World at War on sale :(
pretty much. I'll give them credit for bringing the older COD games last year. That was nice

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom