• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2010 Steam Holiday Sale Thread: of GAF collectively handing over wallet to Based Gabe

Status
Not open for further replies.

ZZMitch

Nabs said:
bc2 multiplayer is awesome as hell, but you can't expect random people who just bought the game to work together well. find people on gaf to play with.

It really is, coming from CoD, the destruction system is amazing.

Discotheque said:
Oh definitely keyboard/mouse. I thought it would be shit for this game, but it worked so much better than controller for me.

Alright, i am heading off to bed now, but i will give KB/M a try tomorrow.

vocab

ZZMitch said:
Gaf. Mirror's Edge. Gamepad vs KB/M.

What say you?

I played a bit with my gamepad, and because it was an FPS aiming was a obviously bit harder, but I feel like WASD will be more detrimental in game like Mirrors Edge, I dunno...

KB/M is better.

Ceebs

I played through ME with M/KB the first time through. I decided to try out the 360 pad for a 2nd playthrough. I made it halfway through the tutorial level before I gave up. The game feels very sluggish and unresponsive with a controller after using M/KB.

Ridli

My desire to see more Mac + Win Steamplay games obligates me to give Machinarium and Killing Floor some support. Plus the prices were insane for both. Wooo! Backlog is building at a tremendous pace now, still another week to go!

zoku88

SapientWolf said:
I prefer the gamepad for Mirror's Edge, for some reason. I think I get motion sick with M/KB.
That's kind of weird to have motion sickness based on the control method :lol

I wouldn't know, I never bought Mirror's Edge, mostly because I get motion sickness just from watching videos of it. :lol

Nabs

zoku88 said:
That's kind of weird to have motion sickness based on the control method :lol

I wouldn't know, I never bought Mirror's Edge, mostly because I get motion sickness just from watching videos of it. :lol
ah. you're going to miss a great game.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
StayUp said:
Oh look it's still possible to get PREY on steam, you can currently get it for $2.5 at GamersGate [link] and it can be activated on Steam. :D

edit: Steam is going super slow for me today. :(

Untitled.png
Awesome, thanks!

mrgone

StayUp said:
Oh look it's still possible to get PREY on steam, you can currently get it for $2.5 at GamersGate [link] and it can be activated on Steam. :D

edit: Steam is going super slow for me today. :(

Untitled.png

Thanks! Missed it in last years sale, when all the fun began.

mrgone

jediyoshi said:
Did you just create the forum account? I believe they manually verify each new account before they have posting privileges.

It's a fairly old account, I've been posting with it sporadically for a few years

teiresias said:
I think Steam just deletes the relevant game folder, including the saves if the saves are kept in the game folder (I think some games might end up with them in your Documents library on Win7, not sure). If they're in the game folder you'll need to copy them elsewhere prior to deleting the local files. This, of course, assumes the game you're worried about doesn't support Steam Cloud.
So is this something that people regularly do?

It'd be so much easier to delete big games while I hold their save info for another day. I need to make some space so that I can download some other games.

shaowebb

Every Sam And Max game ever ( Holiday Bundle + Sam & Max season 1 complete)=$45

Considering thats 18 games and it includes as bonuses both Puzzle Agent and Poker Night this is HUGE.

Holiday Bundle =29.99
Sam & Max season 1= 14.99

Total savings= $55

Go! Go! Go!

Firehead

Metalic Sand said:
When i wake up i better see bloodlines on sale. I'm running out of steam money if they keep throwing other things at me.
Yes. Yes, I agree. It's funny, it's not like the game is real expensive or anything, it's just... six years old. And I refuse to buy it without some sort of discount for some reason.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
I think I'll get Prey. I always wanted a D3 engine game and it looks incredibly interesting.

Linkup

mrgone said:
Thanks! Missed it in last years sale, when all the fun began.

Honestly, you didn't miss anything. I started the game three times, never got more than 4 hours in before I couldn't be bothered to play anymore.

Max

I am not Max
Anyone think there's a chance ARMA 2 Operation Arrowhead will go on sale for $10 like the original did? I bought and have been enjoying it but I imagine everyone who still plays has moved on to the expansion for multiplayer games.

Tesseract

Banned
Metalic Sand said:
Its a very good game IMO. Wish a sequel was coming.

gonna have to second this, prey is fun all the way through to its lame-ass end. ridiculously good opening though, unforgettable.

Dante

I play Steam mostly on my Mac, but I picked up Tomb Raider GOL because it was so cheap. My PC can't run it worth a damn, Is there any chance they are doing a Mac version later?

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
CecilRousso said:
What do you recommend for someone new to Paradox strategy titles: Europa Universalis III or Victoria II?

EU3 is a lot more forgiving and frankly a lot more fun. There's less stuff to manage and that still means there's a whole lot going on with these types of games so don't take that as a bad thing. Although I can't imagine playing it without the Heir to the Throne expansion so you may want to pick that up as well. The Divine Wind expansion is out according to the Paradox site but it won't be out on Steam until January iirc.

Victoria 2 was a great game but not as flexible as EU3 and I had to edit a bunch of files to make it more fun for me anyway. Last I played there's only one starting point in Victoria 2 where in EU3 you can literally start on at any point between the early 14th century all the way up until around 1821.

Durante

Varna said:
Does NWN2 still run like shit on nearly every system?
Nah, I easily maintain above 30 FPS minimum with 16xCSAA at 1920*1200. Usually sticks close to 60.
(Core i7 @ 3.5 GHz, GTX 460 @ 800 MHz)

Dante said:
I play Steam mostly on my Mac, but I picked up Tomb Raider GOL because it was so cheap. My PC can't run it worth a damn, Is there any chance they are doing a Mac version later?
Doubt it. But these sales made me install Bootcamp again to play this stuff, worth it!

Varna said:
Does NWN2 still run like shit on nearly every system?

I'm getting an average of 50-60fps with all settings maxed on my Phenom II 945 + 5770. Sometimes it drops but hardly ever notice it, I just sunk over 4 hours into it and it ran beautifully.

Domino Theory

Crystal Dynamics
Can people here add me on Steam (Steam handle is same as GAF handle)? I only have 10 friends on Steam since I'm a 360 only gamer who's starting to embrace PC gaming.

I'll also gift random games to you folks considering how ridiculously awesome the deals are and how easy it is to gift someone a game. :)

I myself am late to the party, but I would recommend everyone who likes adventure games to pick up Puzzle Agent that's 50% off during the sale. I finished it yesterday, and while I wouldn't call it a 5/5 game, it was one the biggest surprises of 2010 for me. The story, characters and dialogues were all surprisingly good. It was like a funny Twin Peaks cartoon. :D

Danneee

Domino Theory said:
Can people here add me on Steam (Steam handle is same as GAF handle)? I only have 10 friends on Steam since I'm a 360 only gamer who's starting to embrace PC gaming.

I'll also gift random games to you folks considering how ridiculously awesome the deals are and how easy it is to gift someone a game. :)

Done :)

IrishNinja

Metalic Sand said:
When i wake up i better see bloodlines on sale. I'm running out of steam money if they keep throwing other things at me.

BELIEVE.

it's not gonna happen, and im just gonna fucking buy it for $20 at the sale's end and weep that i spent like $7-8 more than it is on other DD sites, with no real excuse.

confused

Banned
Holy shit GAF, Why did nobody warn me Lost Planet 2 was 12GB ?

What type of performance can I expect on a 955BE quad + 5770 1GB + 4GB RAM ?

Also, didn't LovingSteam mention a sims 3 complete pack coming up ?

That, Far Cry 2 and crysis complete is enough for me to call it quits this sale (Vampire too, but we have no chance.)

sturmdogg

Forkball said:
Yeah I'm not loving Bad Company 2 either. One of my friends plays it, so he says he will show me the ropes, but most of the time I have no idea what's going on or what my team's doing. No one communicates with each other and I'm tired of getting killed by someone a mile away.

You'll get used to it. Expect to die a lot especially when you have the starter guns, but it gets better once you unlock the other guns and you get a feel of the flow of the map.

Benedict

Domino Theory said:

Added you.

Which one should I get if both goes on sale again: Arma II or Arrowhead?

Minsc

Gold Member
lastplayed said:
I'm getting an average of 50-60fps with all settings maxed on my Phenom II 945 + 5770. Sometimes it drops but hardly ever notice it, I just sunk over 4 hours into it and it ran beautifully.

Now try putting shadows and every other option there is to the highest, you'll be getting under 10fps :D

The game has issues with running maxed, on ATI cards, not sure if you can max it (all settings) on nVidia cards, but it seems to run better.

It may even just be the single core restriction that does the most damage, thus having a 4Ghz+ CPU helps a lot.

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member
All my conversation text choices disappeared in Alpha Protocol after the third mission. I didn't change anything, so I can pretty much rule out the AA bug :(

What is it with all these buggy stuff as soon as I finally have a new PC :(

MysticX

Damn, these are sweet deals today, too bad I already own SS, ME, KOTOR & KF, I also have CitisXL 2010, and that´s good enough for me.

LP2 is what I want, but not for that price, and too me SF4 sux ballz.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom