• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2010 Steam Holiday Sale Thread: of GAF collectively handing over wallet to Based Gabe

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cryect

SpacePirate Ridley said:
Holy moly! The Witcher is fucking marvelous. 13 hours and im in chapter 2.

Good game but make note the first chapter is by far the longest. Can't remember any other chapter taking more than 2 or 3 hours and one of the chapters is finished in a little over 30 minutes. Picked it up on steam to play it again and don't have to bother with my DVD.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
SalsaShark said:
Im tempted to get Tomb Raider Anniversary as it is just 5 bucks and heard tons of good things about it..

holding out on some sort of "tomb raider pack" though..
Wait till the last day of the sale, also the game is proof that when TR wants, it can be goddamn king of the puzzle platformer sub genre. It's incredible.

Salaadin

SpacePirate Ridley said:
Holy moly! The Witcher is fucking marvelous. 13 hours and im in chapter 2.

Geralt is like, fuck all of you, Im going my way and do it how I want. He speaks with any anger in his words, but you know that if you do something wrong, you are going to get your ass kicked. :lol

And Ive been reding people dont like much the fighting style, well, I really like it.

The Witchers combat is enough to get by. I didnt have many complaints with it.
You highlight a lot of the other reasons that make the game so good. Geralt is a great character and the world they create is fantastic.

Stallion Free said:
Wait till the last day of the sale, also the game is proof that when TR wants, it can be goddamn king of the puzzle platformer sub genre. It's incredible.

Agreed.
Im on my 2nd play through (PC version this time, originally played on PS2) and Im loving it. Its an insult to gaming that we dont have more games like this. If Tomb Raider Reboot can be half this good, Ill be happy.

Cryect said:
Good game but make note the first chapter is by far the longest. Can't remember any other chapter taking more than 2 or 3 hours and one of the chapters is finished in a little over 30 minutes. Picked it up on steam to play it again and don't have to bother with my DVD.

Oh, thought the chapters were going to be the same length or longer. Well, I like to find every inch of secrets from the game so maybe it will not be a short ride.

Salaadin said:
The Witchers combat is enough to get by. I didnt have many complaints with it.
You highlight a lot of the other reasons that make the game so good. Geralt is a great character and the world they create is fantastic.

Yep, the story and characters are great, and a friend told me that the good things come now.
But yeah, not knowing if you are doing the right or wrong choices is really good and inmersive. Those villagers were all nuts... I think... :lol

Minsc

Gold Member
Cryect said:

:lol

Did you even talk to anyone or do any of the quests? It's a 50+ hour RPG (just google, it's no secret), the 4th chapter is well over 10 hours, and comparable in size to the first.

Nearly every chapter except for the last one takes 10 hours, some a bit more.

Minsc said:
:lol

Did you even talk to anyone or do any of the quests? It's a 50+ hour RPG (just google, it's no secret), the 4th chapter is well over 10 hours, and comparable in size to the first.

Nearly every chapter except for the last one takes 10 hours, some a bit more.

Fucking WOW
Well, I think im going back to the game!

MNC

MNC said:
LP2... Buy or no buy? I liked the PS3 demo alot and I think my PC will run it. But will there be enough people to play co-op with?

If I get US GAF to gift it to me (with extra discount) it's only 12€... Which is a pretty dandy price right?

What say you?
!

kennah

demosthenes said:
Any opinions on Machinarium?

The specs look pretty low and the gf's laptop can hardly play Poker Night :lol
Machinarium is great, lots of fun and just the right amount of difficult (especially with the great hint system in the game). It's flash based so it runs on anything.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
demosthenes said:

Great adventure game with interesting puzzles in a lovely artstyle.

BloodySinner said:
Does it matter? You'll play the game for 5 minutes before deleting it off your drive. As for the TF2 items, you'll eventually get them. I just don't know how soon, though.
I'm personally not going to play KF. I'm not a fan of horror games.

My brother wanted it, since he thinks it's a L4D2 clone, and he loves L4D2 :p

BTW, the fucking poker dice players in The Witcher are fucking cheaters, they always try to win with the minimum, and nearly always have three of a kind and up.
It seems like you dice are random, like in real life, but theirs have some type of pattern.
Yeah, I know I can save and load (its what Im doing) but it still needs a lot of tries to win the players.

demosthenes said:

Poker Night seems to have some problems. I can play metro 2033 and crysis in high, but poker night lags horribly in the intro. The game then runs perfectly in the table playing part.

kennah said:
Machinarium is great, lots of fun and just the right amount of difficult (especially with the great hint system in the game). It's flash based so it runs on anything.

Nooooooooooooo

I can't log into Steam for some reason. And I can't reset my password b/c I don't have Steam installed. Hopefully the sale on it lasts till this afternoon.

Wellington

BAAAALLLINNN'
NarcissisticJay said:
Heh, I've bought 22 games this sale.. And I haven't played but one so far - Defense Grid. It's so oddly addicting and awesome.. Already went back and bought all the DLC. Best $2.49 I've spent in a long while :)
I'm a sucker for tower defense games, this one is amazing. I can't stop playing it.

MNC

demosthenes said:
Nooooooooooooo

I can't log into Steam for some reason. And I can't reset my password b/c I don't have Steam installed. Hopefully the sale on it lasts till this afternoon.
You have about an hour and 10 minutes.
You should get the humble bundle though to get machinarium AND lots of other games.

Edit: :lol Ofcouirse the humblebundle is down now.

Helmholtz

thundr51 said:
C'mon steam, where is Oblivion GOTY?? I'm thinking maybe i'll just go ahead and just buy it. I don't think they're going to discount it any more than what they have...but I guess i'll wait until the last day.

Meanwhile thinking of picking up NWN.
I'd wait until the sale's over for Oblivion. I really doubt it won't be in the sale, and chances are it'll show up before the last day.

AtlusAram

Atlus USA Developer
teiresias said:
The Witcher uses the NWN2 engine and it has that same feel when running around - though mainly only when it's raining and/or there are a ton of NPCs on the screen (in the main city areas). The engine is just quirky.

No, it does not; it uses the ORIGINAL NWN engine.

Minsc

Gold Member
AtlusAram said:
No, it does not; it uses the ORIGINAL NWN engine.

So does NWN2, technically, all three are running the Aurora engine.

Graphically, Witcher >> NWN2 >>>>>>> NWN

graywolf323

well fuck you Bioware

Dragon Age II Signature Edition will NOT be on Steam

nvm it's everywhere else (Impulse, D2D, GamersGate, EA's own store, all the retail stores that take preorders) but not Steam I mean why would they bring it to the biggest digital service?

so now I won't be buying the game until the next holiday sale

edit: actually meant to post this in the main thread not the Holiday sale thread :lol

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
kennah said:

sold!

MNC said:
You have about an hour and 10 minutes.
You should get the humble bundle though to get machinarium AND lots of other games.

Edit: :lol Ofcouirse the humblebundle is down now.

I'm at work :(

Can't reset passwords without having Steam installed. Just wanted to sign into the browser and gift it like that, dammit!

kennah

demosthenes said:
I'm at work :(

Can't reset passwords without having Steam installed. Just wanted to sign into the browser and gift it like that, dammit!
I'd gift you but outta monies :(

EDIT: Wife to the rescue, what's your email?

Minsc said:

I think I remember obsidian talking about them rewriting the graphics part of the Aurora engine for NWN2, wikipedia says it runs on the "electron" engine.

Witcher is definitely the best looking of the bunch, although NWN2 does have some really cool spell effects.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
graywolf323 said:
well fuck you Bioware

Dragon Age II Signature Edition will NOT be on Steam

nvm it's everywhere else (Impulse, D2D, GamersGate, EA's own store, all the retail stores that take preorders) but not Steam I mean why would they bring it to the biggest digital service?

so now I won't be buying the game until the next holiday sale

edit: actually meant to post this in the main thread not the Holiday sale thread :lol

Yeah, they'll probably put it on Steam a few weeks late, like NFS Hot Pursuit.

But either way, it looks like dog shit, and in the event that it's not... well, I still have to play the first game.

Which I bought on Steam.

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
Uuuuuugh i get some stupid cant initialize your account blahblah i contacted steamsupport but like they wont answer :/ i've waited several days now!!!

NarcissisticJay said:
Heh, I've bought 22 games this sale.. And I haven't played but one so far - Defense Grid. It's so oddly addicting and awesome.. Already went back and bought all the DLC. Best $2.49 I've spent in a long while :)

Good man. Such a great game.

Minsc

Gold Member
wayward archer said:
I think I remember obsidian talking about them rewriting the graphics part of the Aurora engine for NWN2, wikipedia says it runs on the "electron" engine.

Witcher is definitely the best looking of the bunch, although NWN2 does have some really cool spell effects.

If you follow the link in the wiki article, which says:

BioWare provided its Aurora Engine from Neverwinter Nights for the sequel.[29] One of the decisions to use Aurora and not build a new engine from scratch was the toolset—Obsidian wanted players to continue to be able to make content for the game, which may not have been possible with a new engine.

it takes you here (reference 29):

Obsidian will be doing the lion's share of the development work on the sequel, but BioWare will have a hand in the development of Neverwinter Nights 2. They have already provided Obsidian with the Aurora engine to build the game on. In addition, since they are most familiar with the Aurora engine, they will be providing technical assistance in using the engine to its fullest, and will also be looking over Obsidian's milestones and giving input to keep the project in line with the vision of the original. As Greg Zeschuk put it, "We've got a good relationship with the folks at Obsidian and we definitely want to see them succeed in making Neverwinter Nights 2 a great game; we see it -- in part at least -- as still being a BioWare project."
While the sequel will be built on the same engine as the original, it will be a highly enhanced version of the Aurora engine, and you can expect some graphical updates to take advantage of current hardware.

I was a little surprised a while back when I was told NWN2 was built on top of the Aurora engine from someone here as well, but then in hindsight it made sense, all the quirkiness of it. I think electron is just a codename for the NWN2 engine, which is a modified Aurora engine, same as The Witcher is a modified Aurora engine.

AtlusAram

Atlus USA Developer
Minsc said:

I think The Witcher has the best presentation out of the three (NWN never really tried for anything cinematic so it's hard to judge it in that regard), but I enjoy the simplicity and great performance of NWN the most. It was rough at launch, but load up the Diamond edition these days, choose the highest res textures and enable AA, and I think it still looks great, especially considering when it game out.

I just added NWN 2 Platinum to my account, despite having a sealed Mask of the Betrayer in my closet, if only because installing NWN 2 off the disc, followed by the LENGTHY patching process, can take HOURS. Plus, it took me many starts and restarts to really enjoy the first NWN; I'm hoping the same happens for NWN 2.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Argh, I just wiped and reinstalled my Windows 7 Partition, and now when I tried to boot up Chime experimentally I got an error about "Direct3D hardware acceleration not available or has been disabled". I'm updating my nVidia drivers, but this couldn't have happened at a worse time!

I just want to say I love the music in Machinarium. The art is great too. Reminds me of René Laloux's film "Fantastic Planet". But it's worth getting for the music alone IMHO.

~Kinggi~

Banned
I bought Killing Floor at another sale in the past but it didnt have all the DLC packs this one has. What is the value of these packs a far as gameplay is concered? Am i missing anything by not getting them?

Cryect said:

Dude, what? I was stuck in Chapter 2 for MONTHS. :lol Literally probably 10-15 hours all told in Chapters 2 and 3. I ended up spending 60 hours on The Witcher, and I didn't even do everything (only like 90% of what's possible in one playthrough).

~Kinggi~ said:
I bought Killing Floor at another sale in the past but it didnt have all the DLC packs this one has. What is the value of these packs a far as gameplay is concered? Am i missing anything by not getting them?
Just player skins, really.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
~Kinggi~ said:
Nope, skins only. All maps, gameplay additions, etc will always be free. The skins are basically there to support the devs if you want to give them a few dollars.

i ended up buying NWN2 again since I owned it on D2D but only had the game + 1 Expansion. The issue I have is I can't get used to the way the controls work. I keep thinking WASD to move and the point to click is a bit weird sometimes. You think you may be clicking on the door but then you end up on the other side. :lol.

thundr51

SpacePirate Ridley said:
BTW, the fucking poker dice players in The Witcher are fucking cheaters, they always try to win with the minimum, and nearly always have three of a kind and up.
It seems like you dice are random, like in real life, but theirs have some type of pattern.
Yeah, I know I can save and load (its what Im doing) but it still needs a lot of tries to win the players.

I thought I was the only one that noticed this. they always seem to get exactly what they need when they need it, and when they lose, they don't lose a lot of gold. I played one of the pros in the Hairy Bear (Chpt 2) and I lost 6 times, each time losing about 500-700g. Then when I finally won, I only made about 400g.

Incidentally, anybody else notice the music sounds like something you'd hear on Mass Effect? I swear I'd heard at least one of the tunes on there.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
SalsaShark said:
Im tempted to get Tomb Raider Anniversary as it is just 5 bucks and heard tons of good things about it..

holding out on some sort of "tomb raider pack" though..

Anniversary is the best Tomb Raider product yet released(even next to Guardians of Light). A completely wonderful modernized reimagining of the original.

Minsc

Gold Member
DMPrince said:
i ended up buying NWN2 again since I owned it on D2D but only had the game + 1 Expansion. The issue I have is I can't get used to the way the controls work. I keep thinking WASD to move and the point to click is a bit weird sometimes. You think you may be clicking on the door but then you end up on the other side. :lol.

Maybe this will help, works well for me, though you may have already seen/tried something similar, and it's still no WASD.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom