• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2010 Steam Holiday Sale Thread: of GAF collectively handing over wallet to Based Gabe

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
Oh god I'm failing at resisting the Bethesda pack. SOMEONE HELP ME.

kamspy

Dacvak said:
Oh god I'm failing at resisting the Bethesda pack. SOMEONE HELP ME.

Don't resist. You're staring down 400 hours of some of the best gaming this generation for pennies on the hour.

Minsc

Gold Member
Van Owen said:
Is it true NWN2 runs better if you set affinity to just one core?

The joys of having an intel processor. Never played a game where that mattered (from what I read it's an AMD thing) ;)

Varna said:
Wow. That blows. My system is a bit worse (i5-760, 460gtx).

I guess 30FPS is a big step up from my last system.

nVidia drivers may run significantly better, all reports I've read about performance have mentioned the shadows killing specifically ATI cards...

Nothing for me today. Kind of want Mirror's Edge, but the PS3 version gave me motion sickness. Excited to spend more money I don't have tomorrow though.

JudgeN

Varna said:
Wow. That blows. My system is a bit worse (i5-760, 460gtx).

I guess 30FPS is a big step up from my last system.

Should be higher, I get pretty much locked 60 FPS except for big battles. Try lower shadows/AA if you can.

1680x1050
i7 930 @4 ghz
GTX 470
Win 7 64 Bit
6 Gig Ram

Branson

So I'm thinking about getting the Valve pack, but ever since i didnt jump on the 25$ price Im feeling kinda meh, should I see if they take the price down again or just go ahead and grab the pack? I don't really expect to see the packs get lower than they already are.

KaYotiX

Banned
UGH, steam is so sloooow. Im debating to just not DL anything till the sale is over becasue ive been DLIng TF2 for the last 3 hrs and its only 30% done. Yesterday i was DLing stuff within an hr.

Just loaded up NWN2 (the retail version) and fraps is reporting 50-60 fps on a 955 coupled with a 460 (both OC'ed). I had the game at 1080p and 8X AA with everything maxed except the render far shadows option was unchecked. Rotating the camera is very smooth but whenever the screen is scrolling it feels kind of janky even though fraps is giving me the same numbers for the fps. In the past I remember the fps in this game being highly dependent on the area you were in, I just ran around highcliff and the graveyard, I don't have any saves with later areas unlocked.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
KaYotiX said:
UGH, steam is so sloooow. Im debating to just not DL anything till the sale is over becasue ive been DLIng TF2 for the last 3 hrs and its only 30% done. Yesterday i was DLing stuff within an hr.

switch to another download server

kennah

Branson said:
So I'm thinking about getting the Valve pack, but ever since i didnt jump on the 25$ price Im feeling kinda meh, should I see if they take the price down again or just go ahead and grab the pack? I don't really expect to see the packs get lower than they already are.
I'd say you would be pretty safe just getting orange box and l4d2. Vanilla half-life if you wanted that as well. But wait for them all to be daily deals.

mcnutty

Neo Member
Schmattakopf said:
Sorry if I missed them, but any impressions on Victoria I?

Have you played other Paradox titles? It's a good deal more complicated than the others, but I think it's probably their second best game(Besides EU3 + expansions, I haven't played Victoria II).

I just took a look at the ME store page to see what kind of info they have posted on the game and I saw the opening trailer...

The trailer is completely done in that bullshit Esurance style that just puts most people off. Not a single look at the beautiful city or the enormous underground tunnels? It's like they want to make the game look unappealing to the last three people who have not bought the game yet.

:/

Aside from that... I was wondering how much of a deal Serious Sam is at this price. The game looks like a Duke Nukem for the PC and it looks like tons of fun. Is the multiplayer good? Does it have a hilarious campaign mode?

SolarPowered said:
Aside from that... I was wondering how much of a deal Serious Sam is at this price. The game looks like a Duke Nukem for the PC and it looks like tons of fun. Is the multiplayer good? Does it have a hilarious campaign mode?
Serious Sam is great multi-enemy mayhem. No funny storyline but funny 1-liners now & then.

LegoDad

Waiting for GTA IV on the steam sale, or the DLC. The DLC is $7.50 on amazon right now, but I don't want to jump before it might come up on steam.

speculawyer said:
Serious Sam is great multi-enemy mayhem. No funny storyline but funny 1-liners now & then.
Just bought it. I like having lots of odd multiplayer games. It feels refreshing after years and years of Halo and Dudebro.

Thanks

cramcakes

Monies for Gabe so far...

Darksiders - 10
Just Cause 2 - 10 (dlc added)
Dragon Age Ultimate - 25
KOTOR - 2.50
Machinarium - 3

About $50.

Anyone play Swords and Soldiers? Recommendable?

smurfx

get some go again
caliblue15 said:
Waiting for GTA IV on the steam sale, or the DLC. The DLC is $7.50 on amazon right now, but I don't want to jump before it might come up on steam.
yeah i'm waiting for gta 4 too as well. once i get that i can't see any other game making me bite. i've gotten what i wanted. counter strike source was the one i really wanted and got what i wanted.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Big savings on the Victoria 1 and 2 Complete Pack!

309spae.jpg

I am going to buy Victoria 1, if it is good I could pick up #2 after a price drop and anther sale.

Maddness

Oh God... Oh God.... Oh God....

Darksiders
Dragon Age Ultimate
Lost Planet
Lost Planet 2
Splinter Cell Conviction
Assassin's Creed 2
Neverwinter Nights 2
Laura Croft and the Guardian of Light
Super Meat Boy

I just need one more fix man... Just one more. Then I'll go clean I swear.

scitek

Steam sale

Battlefield: Bad Company 2
The Misadventures of P.B. Winterbottom
Super Meat Boy
Killing Floor
Burnout Paradise
The Oddboxx
Serious Sam Collection
The Witcher

And from the Amazon sale

Cryostasis
Episodes from Liberty City
Condemned

Fuck man...

zoku88

Drkirby said:
Big savings on the Victoria 1 and 2 Complete Pack!

309spae.jpg

I am going to buy Victoria 1, if it is good I could pick up #2 after a price drop and anther sale.
It seems like a better idea just to buy 2 and forget about 1.

From all accounts, 1 seemed unrefined. 2 is good for me, despite the spotty launch. And it seems like it will be a very long time until 2 is even $15 again...given that it was released this year.

My take so far

Risen
Patrician IV
Wings of Prey
Alpha Protocol
Mount and Blade: Warband
Recettear: An Item Shop's Tale
Super Meat Boy
Back to the Future: The Game
Batman: Arkham Asylum GOTY
Darksiders
Neverwinter Nights 2: Platinum
Machinarium

I hope I get to play some of them before the next sale

kamspy said:
From what I've gathered, yes.

I'm gonna install my disks tonight and see if it's worth double dipping in the morning. I'll post my technical impressions. Pretty average machine. AMD quad, 275 GTX, W7 x64.

I'd love to see them running at an unwavering 60fps, but since the game is apparently singled threaded, this might not be the case.

On the bright side my 955 overclocks to 3.8 with no extra voltage, so I'll have a shot at powering away with one core.

I found the game ran flawlessly when you turn the shadows down from max. Everything else can be cranked.

I like the idea of games that can be downloaded, but I never liked the idea of my saves being deleted when I'm done with the game. I already finished Prince of Persia: The Sands of time(awesome btw) and I was wondering if I could keep the saves while deleting the rest of the files.

Can I do that without messing with the game(or any other game for that matter) if I download it again in the future?

teiresias

SuperLurker said:
Just loaded up NWN2 (the retail version) and fraps is reporting 50-60 fps on a 955 coupled with a 460 (both OC'ed). I had the game at 1080p and 8X AA with everything maxed except the render far shadows option was unchecked. Rotating the camera is very smooth but whenever the screen is scrolling it feels kind of janky even though fraps is giving me the same numbers for the fps. In the past I remember the fps in this game being highly dependent on the area you were in, I just ran around highcliff and the graveyard, I don't have any saves with later areas unlocked.

The Witcher uses the NWN2 engine and it has that same feel when running around - though mainly only when it's raining and/or there are a ton of NPCs on the screen (in the main city areas). The engine is just quirky.

Narag

Someone gifted me Arkham Asylum and I'm just floored by the game. I wrote it off as a crappy franchise tie-in despite the praise around here. Glad to be horribly wrong about this one.

StayUp

Oh look it's still possible to get PREY on steam, you can currently get it for $2.5 at GamersGate [link] and it can be activated on Steam. :D

edit: Steam is going super slow for me today. :(

Untitled.png

teiresias

SolarPowered said:
I like the idea of games that can be downloaded, but I never liked the idea of my saves being deleted when I'm done with the game. I already finished Prince of Persia: The Sands of time(awesome btw) and I was wondering if I could keep the saves while deleting the rest of the files.

Can I do that without messing with the game(or any other game for that matter) if I download it again in the future?

I think Steam just deletes the relevant game folder, including the saves if the saves are kept in the game folder (I think some games might end up with them in your Documents library on Win7, not sure). If they're in the game folder you'll need to copy them elsewhere prior to deleting the local files. This, of course, assumes the game you're worried about doesn't support Steam Cloud.

mrgone

When you purchase the DLC for the Mass Effect 2, does all of that happen entirely through your EA/Bioware account? The DLC's dirt cheap on the 360 right now, which has me curious if a purchase there carries over the PC side. It seems like it wouldn't, but posts on both the Steam and Bioware forums have made it all muddy and confusing.

Also, do any of you know how to contact the Steampowered.com forum administration directly? An email address or such? In searching for information about ME2, I've found that I can't currently post anywhere there or view any profiles, which makes it impossible to contact an admin through the site. It doesn't appear to be a ban either, from what I can tell. It's almost like my account's reverted to deactivated status, much like when you've signed up but havn't clicked the email verification link yet. The "Contact us" link at the bottom directs users to the main Steam support site, which doesn't seem to have any connection with the forums at all.

Wallach

mrgone said:
When you purchase the DLC for the Mass Effect 2, does all of that happen entirely through your EA/Bioware account? The DLC's dirt cheap on the 360 right now, which has me curious if a purchase there carries over the PC side. It seems like it wouldn't, but posts on both the Steam and Bioware forums have made it all muddy and confusing.

Also, do any of you know how to contact the Steampowered.com forum administration directly? An email address or such? In searching for information about ME2, I've found that I can't currently post anywhere there or view any profiles, which makes it impossible to contact an admin through the site. It doesn't appear to be a ban either, from what I can tell. It's almost like my account's reverted to deactivated status, much like when you've signed up but havn't clicked the email verification link yet. The "Contact us" link at the bottom directs users to the main Steam support site, which doesn't have any connection with the forums at all.

You have to create a forum account separate from your Steam account. They are not tied together in any way really, so if you haven't made one yet you don't actually have one.

As for the Mass Effect 2 DLC, it is all handled through your EA/Bioware account, and buying them on the 360 won't do anything for the PC version. There are a few item DLCs that will apply to all platforms (Dr. Pepper items, Collectors Armor, Terminus Armor, Inferno Armor, Blood Dragon Armor) but the story packs are platform specific.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
Dice said:
Yeah, and while I'm at it I'll replace my doritos with saltines.
DMC3 runs at sub 30fps on my 5850/i5 750 rig and the 360 controller support is pretty much busted. It also somehow manages to do this while looking worse than the PS2 original. I'm not a huge fan of DMC4 either but there's really no choice on the PC.

cramcakes said:
Anyone play Swords and Soldiers? Recommendable?
I enjoyed the PS3 demo of Swords and Soldiers. Enough to purchase the game at the current price. It sort of boils down the RTS to its base elements. The game can create a lobby while you're in the single player mode so there's a chance that you may actually get to play a human.

mrgone

Wallach said:
You have to create a forum account separate from your Steam account. They are not tied together in any way really, so if you haven't made one yet you don't actually have one.

As for the Mass Effect 2 DLC, it is all handled through your EA/Bioware account, and buying them on the 360 won't do anything for the PC version. There are a few item DLCs that will apply to all platforms (Dr. Pepper items, Collectors Armor, Terminus Armor, Inferno Armor, Blood Dragon Armor) but the story packs are platform specific.

It's my forum account that's having the issues :( I guess it could be worse, if it were my main account that was all tied up like this! I just need some way to talk to a forum admin so I can find out what's wrong.

As for the DLC, thanks! I'll save my spacebucks on the xbox side and just hope EA has a sale sometime (They do have DLC sales, don't they?)

Wallach

mrgone said:
It's my forum account that's having the issues :( I guess it could be worse, if it were my main account that was all tied up like this! I just need some way to talk to a forum admin so I can find out what's wrong.

As for the DLC, thanks! I'll save my spacebucks on the xbox side and just hope EA has a sale sometime (They do have DLC sales, don't they?)

I've never personally seen Mass Effect 2 DLC for the PC be on sale in the 12 months the game has been out.

mcnutty said:
Have you played other Paradox titles? It's a good deal more complicated than the others, but I think it's probably their second best game(Besides EU3 + expansions, I haven't played Victoria II).
I've been meaning to try them because they look like my type of game... but I can't tell them apart.

Not a fan of Bad Company 2's multiplayer. Already had issues with punkbuster, as I suspected I would. It's not the first game purchased through Steam that I have had issues with punkbuster booting me from the game for no god damned reason. I *believe* I've fixed that issue but the game itself and the community leave much to be desired based off of my few hours of playing. No one talks, no one uses teamwork, everyone just fucks off with a vehicle without waiting for anyone else at spawn, it's just like the good ol' days of Battlefield 1942. Go on a long ass nature hike, get sniped or mowed down by a helicopter or tank, wait to respawn, go on another nature hike, rinse, lather, repeat.

Forkball

Yeah I'm not loving Bad Company 2 either. One of my friends plays it, so he says he will show me the ropes, but most of the time I have no idea what's going on or what my team's doing. No one communicates with each other and I'm tired of getting killed by someone a mile away.

ZZMitch

Gaf. Mirror's Edge. Gamepad vs KB/M.

What say you?

I played a bit with my gamepad, and because it was an FPS aiming was a obviously bit harder, but I feel like WASD will be more detrimental in game like Mirrors Edge, I dunno...

Nabs

jaundicejuice said:
Not a fan of Bad Company 2's multiplayer. Already had issues with punkbuster, as I suspected I would. It's not the first game purchased through Steam that I have had issues with punkbuster booting me from the game for no god damned reason. I *believe* I've fixed that issue but the game itself and the community leave much to be desired based off of my few hours of playing. No one talks, no one uses teamwork, everyone just fucks off with a vehicle without waiting for anyone else at spawn, it's just like the good ol' days of Battlefield 1942. Go on a long ass nature hike, get sniped or mowed down by a helicopter or tank, wait to respawn, go on another nature hike, rinse, lather, repeat.

bc2 multiplayer is awesome as hell, but you can't expect random people who just bought the game to work together well. find people on gaf to play with.

ZZMitch said:

What say you?

I played a bit with my gamepad, and because it was an FPS aiming was a obviously bit harder, but I feel like WASD will be more detrimental in game like Mirrors Edge, I dunno...

The game feels incredible with a KB/M. I am also a fan of disabling runner vision, but that's just me :D

ZZMitch said:

What say you?

Oh definitely keyboard/mouse. I thought it would be shit for this game, but it worked so much better than controller for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom