• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2012 Year in Review: Good games that few people played

Well 2012 is almost over, and it’s time to remember both the good and the bad… but some games aren’t remembered at all, they can be niche, poorly advertised titles or just games that were released at the wrong time or the wrong place. So let’s remember those good games that deserve more love, and who knows; you can find them quite cheap these days and they could be a great gift this season.

For this list there’re some considerations:
*The games listed here have less than 500k units sold worldwide, sometimes that’s difficult to know because of the data available and the lack of reliable digital numbers.
*Yes I know that scores from Metacritics and Gamerankings doesn’t mean that a game is actually good but they’re used as a reference for every title.
*Games recently released aren’t considered.
*Yes I know how much GAF loves to scream BOMBA all the time, but some of these games are niche or low profile titles, so it’s natural that some of them didn’t make big numbers.
*Remember it’s ok to not like things, and if you have a suggestion please post it. It’d be great to know about it.

the-darkness-2.jpg

The Darkness II
Metacritics: 77, 80 and 79 Gamerankings: 81, 77, 76
The original Darkness was a game based on the Top Cow comic of the same name, the game was released in 2007 and ended up being a great cult classic that blended FPS action with horror elements, a good storyline, characters and great supernatural powers, at the end the game sold a little more than a million copies. Sadly the sequel didn’t fare that well, at its first month it didn’t chart at the top 10 of the NPD and sales quickly dried, still is a great alternative to modern FPS and it’s a blast to play.

Asura%E2%80%99s-Wrath-Walkthrough-Chapter-3-Hell-on-Gaea.jpg

Asura’s Wrath
Metacritics: 71, 71 Gamerankings: 72, 70
Probably one of the most polarized games of the year, Asura’s Wrath could be a masterpiece or an abomination on people’s mind. Basically is a mix of action game, on-rail section and QTE fest that brings a visually stunning experience, however playing and watching the game could be 2 different experiences, so gameplay can be tricky (or just plain frustrating) while the cut scenes can be gorgeous and filled with fast action sequences. Thankfully there’s a demo on the Xbox Live and PSN so it’s really recommended to check it out first before jumping into this title.

syndicate_40_605x.jpg

Syndicate
Metacritics: 69, 70, 75 Gamerankings: 74, 74, 68
Sadly this title didn’t receive enough promotion or budget to be a AAA title, but the interesting story about a dystopian future where corporations rule the world is really good, also this’s one of the few games that tries to make things different in the online front with a great cooperative mode for four players that offers 9 different missions and objectives that requires real cooperation between the players. Even if the campaign fell flat sometimes the multiplayer is good enough to check this title.

wipeout_2048_0.jpg

Wipeout 2048
Metacritics: 79 Gameranking: 80
The last game from Studio Liverpool, one of the most talented studios in the entire world said goodbye with their classic futuristic racer for the PSVita. In japan the game didn’t even chart at the top 20, in USA didn’t chart in the NPD and in UK it debuted at place 4, and disappeared from the list the next week. Which is a shame; the game is fantastic and yes even with the loading times it’s worth every penny, the game has dropped price twice since their release and still is easy to find in stores.

Binary-Domain-Big-Bo.jpg

Binary Domain
Metacritics: 68, 74, 72 Gamerankings: 74, 74, 63
The third person shooter formula is so well established that every new game in the entry is judged really harsh, Binary Domain bet is just for fun with an interesting system of commands based on voice or buttons players can give orders to the squad and being judged by their performance, and yes it isn’t a game for everyone so people can just shake their heads in grief or laugh at it. It was also one of the worst selling games in NA with just 20k in its debut

Starhawk-2.jpg

Starhawk
Metacritics: 77 Gamerankings: 79
Warhawk was one of the first original PS3 games to get recognition; this third person shooter had an interesting setting, great vehicles and fun multiplayer experience. So a sequel was one of the most frequent petitions from Playstation fans, finally the sequel was released this year, with little to no advertising; it didn’t chart on the May NPD list, in the UK it wasn’t even in the top 10 for all formats and in Japan sold almost 13k on its debut before disappearing from the lists. To this day people still blame the lack of advertising for the demise of this title, maybe the franchise wasn’t strong enough or it was released at the wrong time, Lightbox studios one of the co-developers of the title switched to iOS games last October.

gravity-rush.jpg

Gravity Rush
Matecritics: 83 Gamerankings: 81
Being a new franchise in a relatively new system is hard, thankfully this title is starting to get the recognition that deserves, GR is a great game with beautiful cel-shading graphics that offers a huge world to explore in this action/platform title with an amazing and clever use of gavity shift powers; the game crossed the 100k mark in Japan and even if the numbers aren’t as good in NA and Europe the title still holds as one of the “Must have” games for the Vita.

tumblr_lzhtzxLEzi1qzp9weo1_400.jpg

Theatrhythm Final Fantasy
Metacritics: 78 Gamerankings: 80
Well this’s a case of a game that was successful at a small scale. This rhythm title uses a huge portion of the Final Fantasy music to offer a nice little fun game divided in 3 parts. Field, Battle and Event, probably the best of them are the battles where characters must tap correctly to do damage to the enemies onscreen, overall is a really nice game that maybe was hurt by the lack of interest in this genre or the price.

rhythm-thief-the-emperors-treasure-20110830104720845_640w.jpg

Rhythm Thief & the Emperor's Treasure
Metacritics: 76 Gamerankings: 76
Much like Starhawk, maybe this game was a victim of the lack of interest to advertise it. Like Theatrhythm is a game that offers a nice selection of music based minigames and some really nice cut scenes. An iOS version is scheduled to be release this year.

news-persona4arena.jpg

Persona 4: Arena
Matecritics: 83, 86 Gamerankings: 85, 84
Well this game ended being one of the biggest surprises of the year, there isn’t much to say about this title, it’s fast paced great fighting in the same way of Blazblue and Guilty Gear (the game was developed by Arc System Works) so even if the title ended being a niche fighting game in NA it’s worth to check it out.

The-Last-Story1.jpg

The Last Story
Metacritics: 80 Gamerankings: 78
Pretty much like the last title, Last Story is a niche title that was a really nice surprised for many it’s one of the best Japanese RPGs of the generation, now it’s the most successful game in the story of XSEED, however it was released in what it looks like the last year of the Wii in our continent. The special edition is now a collector item, but the game is still possible to find in the regular version.

littlebitplanetheader.jpg

Little Big Planet Vita
Metacritics: 88 Gamerankings: 88
There isn’t much to talk about this one. In Japan sold only 6k in its first week, in UK it debut at number 6 and disappeared quite quickly of the charts, meanwhile in America the title didn’t chart in the September and October NPD. Still just like Gravity Rush this title will ended being a must have for new Vita owners.

Code-of-Princess-12BT.jpg

Code of Princess
Metacritics: 73 Gamerankings: 73
Yes I know a lot of people feel dirty just grabbing this game, but it’s a really nice fun little action game. I understand that the character design is not for everyone but the gameplay and overall design of the game is fun and quite enjoyable. So look over the questionable art of this game there’s a good game behind it.

randomkid

Great thread. I'd add Botanicula to the list, really surprising to me how little attention and mindshare that game got.

Rhythm Heaven Fever and lots of stylish niche Vita stuff would also qualify.

Papo&Yo (deals with mature stuff)
Unfinished Swan (unique concept)
Sound Shapes (crazy fun and good songs)
Tokyo Jungle (you're an animal)

Awesome fun DD games, they were all very original, probably why I liked them.

Audioboxer

I conclude The Darkness 2 was really fun and well written. Only completed it recently but I'd recommend it to anyone tired of mundane story based FPS'.

CorySchmitz

I was hoping these would've gotten more attention:

Zero Escape: Virtue's Last Reward
The Unfinished Swan
Papo y Yo
30 Flights of Loving
Pixeljunk 4am
Sine Mora

Satchel

Banned
Dust An Elysian Tale and Mark of the Ninja. Both XBLA titles.

both use hand drawn 2D art and are old school as fuck. They're also both fuck awesome games that need to be getting way more sales.

Dylan

I'd add Super Monday Night Combat!!!

My game of the year, as I've said many times before.

People who want a more competitive version of TF2 or a more tactile version of DOTA have no excuse!

Empty

nice work with the op, love threads like these

binary domain is excellent. such a great feeling shooter, shredding the robots into little pieces really doesn't get old, and the setting is cool too. also cain!

stuminus3

Banned
People who haven't been witness to Minter's new version of Gridrunner are losers and fools of the highest order and don't deserve the "hardest of the hardcore" GAF tag.

gridrunner-2.png

Sadist

Transformers Fall of Cybertron

Transformers-Fall-of-Cybertron-E3-Preview-Metroplex-.jpg

A solid TPS with some amazing fan service. Plus Grimlock. Grimlock.

And for EU folk;

screenshot_45571_thumb_wide610.jpg

The Project Zero II remake for Wii. It's awesome

Zia

I was hoping these would've gotten more attention:

Zero Escape: Virtue's Last Reward
The Unfinished Swan
Papo y Yo
30 Flights of Loving
Pixeljunk 4am
Sine Mora

Thirty Flights is probably the best game released in the last few years not to receive a GAF OT. It's incredibl(e/y sad).

I was shocked how mature Sine Mora was, as well. I understand it isn't a shooter on par with Cave's output, but it really gripped me.

Pandora's Tower, it certainly doesn't help that it didn't see release in the US, but even so it seems to be the forgotten game of the Project Rainfall 3 and it's a damn shame, because it's a very cool game.

Shaffield

I would probably add Wizorb as well.

wizorb_titlescreen.gif

wait, maybe it actually released on Steam in 2011? I can't remember.
edit: just checked, the Steam and PSN releases were 2012, so i think it counts.

Thirty Flights is probably the best game released in the last few years not to receive a GAF OT. It's incredibl(e/y sad).

Oh stop that. Thirty Flights is 15 minutes with more or less no interactions at all. It´s an interesting experiments, but it´s not a good game. It has gotten more then enough attention.

FTL: Faster Than Light

Lots and lots of people played that one, yes.

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
I got The Last Story when it was $8 on Amazon, but I haven't really played much of it. I'm trying to get through the 6 Black Friday games I just bought lol.

Speaking of which, Forza Horizon is an amazing and fulfilling game, and not just for racing fans. I generally hate racing games but I haven't been able to tear myself away from FH; it's so laid back and relaxing, and does as much as it can to let you play at your own pace and just soak up the scenery. Driving around the open world Colorado wilderness with the amazing music playing through the in-game radio is such a relaxing experience, I recommend it to everyone.

Last Story collector's edition is still easy to find for me. I saw several yesterday while Christmas shopping in Toronto. Decided to finally pick one up and the girl at Gamestop gave me the soundtrack CD (only about 5 tracks) for free.

Forza Horizon needs to be on that list. I'd consider putting Uncharted: GA there too.

iNvid02

I_Am_Alive_Cover_Art.png

I AM ALIVE - around £12 or $15
released april 2012 for PS3/360 - september 2012 for PC
metacritic: 69 - 75 - 65

some really great ideas in here, very challenging but still highly enjoyable.
great atmosphere (basically the road), and could serve as a nice primer for the last of us

there is a demo which gives you a feel for the game pretty quickly

Coxy

Persona 4 Arena and Code of Princess are more "games few people could play" :(

I'd nominate Sonic & Allstars Racing Transformed

0UYTr.jpg

It's a genuinely excellent arcade racer, with people from Bizarre Creations teaming up with Sumo. If you loved games like Blur, a previous awesome game few people played, this is really one for you.

Atelier Meruru

gR2Wf.jpg

Great finish to a wonderful little trilogy of solid JRPGs that offer something a bit different from the usual save the world stuff.

Thoraxes

Actually, Theatrhythm had low shipments too.

Thing was damned near impossible for people to find for a while. (not anymore though)

Tain

Code of Princess is still something I'm on the fence with. Wish I had an easy way to try it! I don't think I'd like it, as I don't like the slower, spaced out, character levellin' belt scroll action games, but everything else about it looks more appealing to me than Castle Crashers and Scott Pilgrim.

Anyway, hopefully this will take off a bit early next year:

max-anarchy-jpn-rf-xbk8kvi.jpg

Because it's very good.

Riposte

Dust An Elysian Tale and Mark of the Ninja. Both XBLA titles.

both use hand drawn 2D art and are old school as fuck. They're also both fuck awesome games that need to be getting way more sales.

How is Mark of the Ninja "old school"? Just because it is a 2D action game? (Haven't played Dust.)

Cheska

YAY, played every game in the OP except for Syndicate :D

Kingdom of Amalur: Reckoning should count right? Did it sell well?

meppi

I'd nominate Sonic & Allstars Racing Transformed

It's a genuinely excellent arcade racer, with people from Bizarre Creations teaming up with Sumo. If you loved games like Blur, a previous awesome game few people played, this is really one for you.

Wait! Seriously?!

Holy crap, I had no idea. 0_o

Already ordered the Wii U version which I think should arrive tomorrow, so ate least that's that. Very excited to try it now.

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
Transformers Fall of Cybertron

Transformers-Fall-of-Cybertron-E3-Preview-Metroplex-.jpg

A solid TPS with some amazing fan service. Plus Grimlock. Grimlock.

This would be my pick, as well. Really top quality stuff from start to finish, and the finish is just pure awesome. Best final level I've seen in years.

Deserved to sell exponentially more than it did. Criminally overlooked game.

Shinobido 2 (Vita) - by no means perfect, but I thought it was better than the original and PSP versions. Nice, non-linear way to tackle missions and although they did get a little repetitive, I found them fun to come back to and was never doing one thing for too long.

Sorry, but while Binary Domain was serviceable, I have no idea why it receives so much praise here.

Absolutely generic character designs, terrible writing, terrible voice acting, very bland environments, and repetitive enemies (with an occasional fun boss).

I'm baffled what people see in it.

Spierek

Too bad that Theatrhythm and Wipeout 2048 didn't sell well (both games highly deserve it), but Little Big Planet Vita? Come on, I thought that it'll fly right off the shelves.

Zero Escape: Virtue's Last Reward, if the sales numbers are anything to go by.

Could you elaborate on that? I haven't heard anything about bad sales.

Top Bottom