• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2012 Year in Review: Good games that few people played

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
I'm glad this thread reminded me of Binary Domain. I really liked the demo.

I also want to say that Syndicate was a really great FPS, especially in co-op. If you aren't someone that's angry about it having the Syndicate name, check it out.

No vita game is ever going to chart on the NPD so saying that it didn't seems silly. Though I do agree that all of the games you listed are great and hopefully they eventually get the plays they deserve.

I would add to this list:

XCOM - Like gravity rush it did enough to warrant a sequel but it deserved to be a bigger hit. While it never quite hit the highs of its predecessors it came awfully close in new and interesting ways.

LittleBigPlanet Karting - We have no data on sales yet but I think we all know it's gonna be a bomba. It's also the best kart racer i've ever played.

Starhawk - OP mentioned this, but it's so unbelievably good, and so unbelievably underplayed.

Orcs must die 2 - Didn't get the hype the first one did being a steam only release around the time that diablo 3 was in everyone's machines making them mad, but they took everything great about the first one, blew it out and added co-op. Great game and an amazing value at $15.

LuchaShaq

Banned
How's the SP in Syndicate? I can't imagine the multi has a lot of players left

The non boss portions? The best fps this year.

The 2 or 3 boss portions....not hard but just bad :/

Orcs must die 2 - Didn't get the hype the first one did being a steam only release around the time that diablo 3 was in everyone's machines making them mad, but they took everything great about the first one, blew it out and added co-op. Great game and an amazing value at $15.

I LOVED orcs must die 1 but co-op is the last thing I wanted in a sequel, not to mention it not having controller support (idk if thats still the case). That's why despite buying and loving 1+dlc on 360 I didn't buy 2 on my more than capable PC.

cj_iwakura

Elminage Original

Gamerankings: N/A (same thing at Metacritic)

bOWQj.jpg

Great dungeons, interesting story, varied gameplay, surprisingly well-written (if very buggy) localization.

Joe Lee

Spec Ops: The Line. Decent gameplay mechanics but the story is what makes this game shine. Clearly influenced by Heart of Darkness and Apocalypse Now and it made for an incredibly satisfying experience.

Hell Yeah! Wrath of the Dead Rabbit. Probably one of the weirdest games I've played but it never ceased to be entertaining.

Thirty Flights of Loving was in the Steam sale at 25% off, it's a very fun creative game anyway so your loss.

Not surprising a few Bizarre people worked on a UK racing game. It was a big studio, people scatter around. Still looking at picking up Sonic Racing if the PC port is decent.

Zia

Oh stop that. Thirty Flights is 15 minutes with more or less no interactions at all. It´s an interesting experiments, but it´s not a good game. It has gotten more then enough attention.

No? And it's a fine game and a perfect length.

Card Boy

Banned
I'd add Super Monday Night Combat!!!

My game of the year, as I've said many times before.

People who want a more competitive version of TF2 or a more tactile version of DOTA have no excuse!

The developers took a literal shit on fans of the first game and didn't add a classic MNC mode, no one asked for the game to be more like DOTA, noone wanted the rules to be changed. We had to beg the fuck out of Uber to add the mode in and by the time they did the community was dead as a dodo. Also the 2 gig weekly patches decimated the community and again it took far too long to get a improved client of the game. I almost forgot about the no server browser and matchmaking taking anywhere between 10minutes to 2 hours.

MYeager

Gateways. Xbox Live Indie game that can sort of be described as a 2D portal. Awesome game.

Trails Evolution is the best game this year though.

I LOVED orcs must die 1 but co-op is the last thing I wanted in a sequel, not to mention it not having controller support (idk if thats still the case). That's why despite buying and loving 1+dlc on 360 I didn't buy 2 on my more than capable PC.

I completed the entire game (and both DLC packs) solo. I actually just started playing co-op as a friend picked it up during the steam sale. It's still very, very awesome in single player... but it is more difficult as you can tell the maps were designed for two players. But I enjoyed that challenge.

It has controller support on the PC, i play it M+KB though.

Darkness II was the only game I played from the OP -and I agree it was a great game.

Oh and would love to play Gravity Rush, but I cannot yet justify a Vita purchase just yet.

I tried the demo a couple times and really hated it. The cluttered HUD combined with the insane letterboxing made it hard to see anything. Is the final game better in these areas?

You can remove almost everything from the HUD, so yeah no problems there. You can do that in the demo too if you want to try and see what it looks like. I didn't like the demo at first either, but after replaying it with zero pawns I got a taste of how good the combat really is.

B.K.

Elminage Original

Gamerankings: N/A (same thing at Metacritic)

bOWQj.jpg

Great dungeons, interesting story, varied gameplay, surprisingly well-written (if very buggy) localization.

I REALLY want to play that game, but the horrible localization is a big turn off.

Dylan

The developers took a literal shit on fans of the first game and didn't add a classic MNC mode, no one asked for the game to be more like DOTA, noone wanted the rules to be changed. We had to beg the fuck out of Uber to add the mode in and by the time they did the community was dead as a dodo. Also the 2 gig weekly patches decimated the community and again it took far too long to get a improved client of the game. I almost forgot about the no server browser and matchmaking taking anywhere between 10minutes to 2 hours.

And yet, the most fun I've had in 2012 by a longshot! Amazing how that works.

B.K.

I'm pretty sure you were told in the thread that the localization is perfectly serviceable.

And I don't want to play a RPG in 2012 with a localization that's just "servicable". It's the same reason I've never touched Ar Tonelico 2. If I want to play a RPG with a SNES-era or PS1-era quality localization, I'll go back and play some old games.

I know Dragon's Dogma did fairly well, just breaking 500k in the west, but it really deserves more. Much more. It deserves to be as big as Skyrim, dammit!

But that could just be my inner fanboy talking. Gawd, I love that game...

jackal27

Banned
A few more for you guys 'cause I love ya... And I also love putting off homework.

Defender's Quest Gold - PC
Listen, I don't really like Tower Defense games, but I LOVE RPGs. If this sounds like you, Defender's Quest is a game you are going to really dig. It has a great story, fantastic characters, gorgeous graphics, and the gameplay is really enjoyable. Check this one out for sure. It is one of the best indies this year.
defenders-quest-gold-3-540x404.png

A Nation of Wind - PC (FREE)
SO, you like Populous AND/or Actraiser? Have I got a game for you. Fly your airship around, fight monsters, build a city, etc. The game is still being worked on and is being made by one guy. I really like this one.
tumblr_m2z4v7kS381qgcifbo1_500.jpg

Intrusion 2 - PC
This one hasn't gotten a lot of attention despite being DAMN INCREDIBLE. Seriously. This little action gem has some of the coolest physics ever. They make for some really cool moments and replayability. Also, giant wolf vehicles. Pew Pew.
screenshot_261.jpg

I've got more, but I better get back to work

Could you elaborate on that? I haven't heard anything about bad sales.
The sales haven't been bad. I'd imagine it is selling in-line with expectations.

It's important to remember what the market is for the game, and that the 3DS and Vita doesn't have the installation that the DS has.

+1's for Darkness II and Spec Ops: The Line. Great games for sure
3AQmK.gif

I'll throw Ridge Racer Unbounded in there as well. Great arcade racer that nobody talked about

Tagg9

The sales haven't been bad. I'd imagine it is selling in-line with expectations.

It's important to remember what the market is for the game, and that the 3DS and Vita doesn't have the installation that the DS has.

It probably is in line with expectations, but given the second game's larger budget (a ton of voice acting) I imagine it's going to need to sell more to be profitable. But it's hard to know how much this type of game costs to make. A benefit this time around at least is that the game can't be pirated.

My take on the OP's list:

The Darkness II: Eh, pass. Even if it is a decent game, I still have a hard time getting enthused on the ascetics/ gritty style of this one. I think I had my fill on these types of games.
Asura’s Wrath: Mildly interesting. Not sure what else to say.
Syndicate: Sadly this title didn’t receive enough promotion or budget to be a AAA title, but the interesting story about a dystopian future where corporations rule the world is really good, also this’s one of the few games that tries to make things different in the online front with a great cooperative mode for four players that offers 9 different missions and objectives that requires real cooperation between the players. Even if the campaign fell flat sometimes the multiplayer is good enough to check this title.[/QUOTE]

I liked the original Syndicate, but I am on the fence about this one. This is one of those titles that I would probably purchase and put at the end of my backlog of games to play.
Wipeout 2048: No Vita, no go. Though if I did have any interest in buying a Vita, this would be at the top of my list of games to buy for it.
Binary Domain: Eh, I actually do have a mild interest in this one. I hear NeoGaffers rave about Binary Domain a lot, and i am curious to find out why.
Starhawk: No PS3, no interest.
Gravity Rush : Yet again, no Vita. :p
Theatrhythm Final Fantasy: No 3DS, and I haven't been interested in a Final Fantasy game since Final Fantasy 6 (3) on the SNES.
Rhythm Thief & the Emperor's Treasure : Same comment as above (minus the Final fantasy comments)
Persona 4: Arena: I have never had an interest in the Persona series, but this is one of those games that gets raved about a lot on the NeoGaf forums.
The Last Story: No Wii, not heavily interested in this one.
Little Big Planet Vita: Pass. :p Yet again, I don't have a Vita.
Code of Princess: This is one of those games that I would consider getting a 3DS for, it looks right up my alley (err, I hate that phrase).

I can't believe I haven't played any of these games mentioned in the OP. I guess I am starting to turn into a casual main stream gamer or something. :p

A friend of mine gifted me a copy of this game a few months ago and it is still sitting in my Steam list unplayed. I really need to get around to trying this one.

Bang Bang Racing is a lot of fun if you enjoy top down racers, has a real arcade feel to it. I have the Steam version and it runs silky smooth like butter.

bang-bang-racing-thd.jpg

I've been actually enjoying the new Death Rally game for PC a lot. I am a complete sucker for top down racers and Big Bang Racing is one of those games that I keep forgetting exists that I should check out some time.

XCOM - Like gravity rush it did enough to warrant a sequel but it deserved to be a bigger hit. While it never quite hit the highs of its predecessors it came awfully close in new and interesting ways.

Does XCom qualify for this thread? It was definitely one of my games of the year for 2012.

No? And it's a fine game and a perfect length.

Ok, I´ve gone through it twice, and still haven´t found a game in it :p. I´m not saying that it´s anything wrong with the length, it just isn´t a game. It´s interesting and worth going through, but I object to anyone saying that it can compares to others as a game.

XCOM - Like gravity rush it did enough to warrant a sequel but it deserved to be a bigger hit. While it never quit

That´s a game that´s most definitely sold way over 500k, it was one the most played games on Steam for the first weeks, and it´s one of the most talked about games of all this year.

Oh god yes for Binary Domain and The Darkness 2. I completely ignored The Darkness 2 when it released because of my bad experiences with Digital Extremes past games, but man, they really knocked it out of the park with that game.

IrishNinja

nice thread, meaning to check a few of these out!

I just finished Lollipop Chainsaw and it's really great. Anyone who was a fan of No More Heroes will dig it.

man im still waiting for another chance to get this for $10 or so, but that's the kinda thing i wanna hear about it too

My take on the OP's list:

really dude? you had to quote the whole OP just to dismiss things/tell people how you don't have half the gaming systems out right now? yeesh

I can't believe I haven't played any of these games mentioned in the OP. I guess I am starting to turn into a casual main stream gamer or something. :p

It just sounds like you're only a PC gamer, or only an xbox/PC gamer. Nothing wrong with that, although it would be fairly easy to rectify this late in the console cycle. Just gotta understand that not owning a Japanese system makes it much more likely you're going to miss out on some good Japanese games.

d00d3n

Great post.

What kind of business did Prototype 2 do? I think it was underrated on gaf and in general. Lifted the best open world traversal system in the industry from Prototype 1 and provided missions and challenges that were actually fun (different from Prototype 1).

It just sounds like you're only a PC gamer, or only an xbox/PC gamer. Nothing wrong with that, although it would be fairly easy to rectify this late in the console cycle. Just gotta understand that not owning a Japanese system makes it much more likely you're going to miss out on some good Japanese games.

This is so true. It's been a while since I have owned a dedicated Japanese gaming console. I missed the PS3 because I purchased a 360 instead. I always liked the Wii for the Nintendo exclusives, but I never got around to purchasing one. The last dedicated handheld machine I owned was the GBA SP. But after I purchased a new gaming rig this year, my Xbox 360 has been getting poorly neglected. Aside from the few first party exclusives and XBLA titles, everything else has been readily available for my PC that I want to play. I've been doing most of my gaming on PC/ iOS it seems. :D

But with the current prices, my interest has been increasing in buying a PS3 slim just for the first party exclusives and some of the Japanese software. The 3DS is the only current dedicated handheld that I have any interest in at the moment, and it is a bit to early for me to want to jump into purchasing a Wii-U.

Top Bottom