• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2012 Year in Review: Good games that few people played

fushi

I can keep going!
Please do. These sorts of obscurities need more of attention, even if they tend to be rather flawed at times.
My take on the OP's list:

No Vita, no go. Though if I did have any interest in buying a Vita, this would be at the top of my list of games to buy for it.

No PS3, no interest.

Yet again, no Vita. :p

No 3DS, and I haven't been interested in a Final Fantasy game since Final Fantasy 6 (3) on the SNES.

Same comment as above (minus the Final fantasy comments)

No Wii, not heavily interested in this one.

Pass. :p Yet again, I don't have a Vita.
... what? Was this really worth sharing?

Anteater

Better than Skyrim? Absolutely. Better than Demon's/Dark Souls? Nope, not even close.

Dark Souls is a much better game overall, but I did enjoy the combat more in DD, except that DS has way more variety of bosses, the leveling was also crap in Dragon's Dogma, hope hardmode will fixes some of those issues.

There are a lot of things I didn't like about DD, Dark Souls was a more polished game/experience.

drkOne

My take on the OP's list:

Does XCom qualify for this thread? It was definitely one of my games of the year for 2012.
What... 50% of your comments were "I don't have this console", the rest were "I'm somewhat interested" and XCOM is going to be GOTY in a couple of sites for sure, not really a sleeper hit...

Huge posts with barely any content... Why?

Dark Souls is a much better game overall, but I did enjoy the combat more in DD, except that DS has way more variety of bosses, the leveling was also crap in Dragon's Dogma, hope hardmode will fixes some of those issues.

There are a lot of things I didn't like about DD, Dark Souls was a more polished game/experience.

Skyrim + Dragon's Dogma combat = heavenly.

... what? Was this really worth sharing?

Yes... yes it was. :p

What... 50% of your comments were "I don't have this console", the rest were "I'm somewhat interested" and XCOM is going to be GOTY in a couple of sites for sure, not really a sleeper hit...

Huge posts with barely any content... Why?

I don't know. That didn't think about it when I was making that post. Edited for sake of complaints.

Berto

Home
homebanner.jpg

It's a peculiar horror game with a interesting way of exposing narrative by breaking the 4th wall and putting the player in the narrative process.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Another vote here for Dragon's Dogma, it wasn't a flop but it really deserved a lot more sales than it got. Best game Capcom have had their name on in a long time imho.

Yes, there's plenty to quibble about with its wobbly frame-rate, but the simple truth is that it still played extremely well in spite of that -and that is the important thing after all.

Looking forward to the free hard-mode/speedrun patch allegedly launching this week.

Shai-Tan

Banned
Hell Yeah Wrath of the Dead Rabbit - not the best game but it's pretty good. I think most assume it's total crap. It's one of those games that reviewers are divided over. Eurogamer, Edge, Joystiq gave it a good review, IGN, Gamespot, Polygon gave it low scores

There's a big oversaturation of platformers this year, puzzle platformers in particular but also just side scrolling platformers in general, which I think caused some good games to get missed e.g. La Mulana, Dokuro, Closure, Vessel, Dustforce, etc

I hate this thread so much, thanks for nothing. All you guys are doing is making my backlog even taller than my Christmas tree is. (Just kidding! Some awesome suggestions in here, love hidden gems)

U2NUMB

Certainly a few I played that got overlooked sadly..

Spec Ops - Shooter fans that bitch about campaigns recently (and rightfully so) need to play this game.

Transformers FoC - Love this dev and they delivered their best yet in a full package.

Forza Horizon - For some reason sales were much lower than they should have been. An amazing racer and a great first time effort by a new studio.

This last one will get me ripped but I do not care..

MoH Warfighter (multiplayer) - After putting in 25+ hours into BO2 .. MOH is far more balanced and in no way deserved the hate it got for the online mode. Big step up from the previous game and more fun than BO2.. Have noticed many youtube personalities that play these games also saying this exact thing. There I said it..

Silent Hill Downpour.

I'm not going to make any excuses for its bugs or other technical drawbacks. The game could have performed a lot better and the visuals could have been improved. I'm not even a graphics whore at all, but Silent Hill games should always look terrific in my opinion because the presentation and atmosphere is so key in these games.

That being said, I felt like there were still so many things about this game that were very solid. For one, it fucking sickens me that we're getting articles about how good the story and storytelling is in Black Ops 2, when the story, dialogue, voice acting, and revelations in Downpour run circles around that junk, and frankly, every other game I've played this year. Its characters were supremely well defined and written and the storytelling was absolutely exceptional for a videogame.

While many feel that the atmosphere has been lost since "Team Silent" left, I completely disagree. It may not be the same, but it still had its own defined theme and I thought they did an excellent job with the direction they picked for this game. It had a very damp, dreary atmosphere that I thought fit very well with the franchise and it made it feel very unique. The otherworld sections, while mostly linear and some of them having a stupid urgency to push you forward, were still highly creative and sometimes very disturbing.

The soundtrack by Daniel Licht was also very good and he didn't make me miss Akira Yamaoka at all. The gameplay itself, well, it's standard survival horror fare more or less. If you don't like that sort of thing in general, I wouldn't recommend it, but I actually liked that the gameplay was very basic and "barebones" as I don't really need some great combat system or amazing gameplay in this kind of game (see: every other survival horror game including the older SH's).

It's by no means a perfect game, it could have used a lot of technical work, could have used better graphics, and its gameplay is merely serviceable to the type of game it is, but Downpour's atmosphere, music, story, and characters were outstanding, and the game had its fair share of spookiness especially if you actually finished it and did all the sidequests. We're still a bit of a way from having that "ideal" Silent Hill experience on newer consoles as I feel there's still loads of untapped potential both graphically and atmospherically, but with a higher budget and the same kind of strong creative talent that was involved with Downpour, I feel pretty good about the future of the series, even while so many others may not.

So yes. I wouldn't necessarily recommend this game to graphics lovers or any "mainstream" gamers, but to fans of the niche horror gaming genre that actually has good storytelling/writing unlike some of these "AAA" games like Mass Effect or Assassin's Creed I would implore them to at least give it a shot.

jackal27

Banned
Lots of people mentioning Dragon's Dogma. I really didn't dig Skyrim after playing for a while. What makes Dragon's Dogma such a good game? I like the demo well enough, but I also REALLY liked the Kingdoms of Amalur demo and both got very middling reviews. Help me out here.

Sojgat

Great thread

Spec Ops: The Line - Absolute must play game.
Asura's Wrath - Get the DLC ending and enjoy the dumb fun.
Binary Domain - I couldn't put this down. Such a sense of adventure, there's just something about how this game comes together that I can't quite put my finger on.
Syndicate - Best co-op ever, and one of the best FPS games in a while.
The Darkness 2 - I liked this a lot, the story was well done and left me wanting more.
MOH: Warfighter - I really liked the MP, It's got some cool ideas, especially if you're playing with a friend. SP not great though.
Transformers: Fall of Cybertron - Much better than the first game IMO
I am Alive - Some really cool ideas in this game, I'd like to see them refined and expanded on.

Hindle

Banned
It's been an awful year no doubt about that, I'd say TWD, Dishonored and Xcom are the only decent games I've played.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
I'd add Gungnir, Growlanser IV, and the US release of Xenoblade (for some reason a lot of people forget this in their GOTY lists, perhaps because they all played the euro or Japanese versions already?)

Apple Jack 2 is probably the best XBLA Indie game of the year, yet I hardly hear it get any attention.

ArjanN

Great OP, agree with most of those, like Darkness 2 and Binary Domain.

Shank 2 was really solid and a big improvement over the first game control-wise. I know a lot of people were dissapointed with Shank 1, hoping Mark of the Ninja's success gets more people to go back and give it a chance.

Binary Domain
Metacritics: 68, 74, 72 Gamerankings: 74, 74, 63
The third person shooter formula is so well established that every new game in the entry is judged really harsh, Binary Domain bet is just for fun with an interesting system of commands based on voice or buttons players can give orders to the squad and being judged by their performance, and yes it isn’t a game for everyone so people can just shake their heads in grief or laugh at it. It was also one of the worst selling games in NA with just 20k in its debut

I wonder how much better the PC version did.

KalBalboa

Banned
Off the top of my head:

Little Big Planet Vita
Gravity Rush
Starhawk
PlayStation All Stars: Battle Royale
The Unfinished Swan

All great games which deserved a bigger slice of the gaming culture pie.

NZNova

The developers took a literal shit on fans of the first game and didn't add a classic MNC mode, no one asked for the game to be more like DOTA, noone wanted the rules to be changed. We had to beg the fuck out of Uber to add the mode in and by the time they did the community was dead as a dodo. Also the 2 gig weekly patches decimated the community and again it took far too long to get a improved client of the game. I almost forgot about the no server browser and matchmaking taking anywhere between 10minutes to 2 hours.

I'm not convinced you know what the word 'literal' means.

Out of curiosity, has there been any mention of a PC version of Dragon's Dogma since the game's release? Prior to release I believe the developer mentioned that they were considering it but I haven't heard anything since.

Grisby

I think Dragons Dogma did alright sales wise but it should have set the world on fire. The combat was some of the best RPG combat in the past few years and the monsters were a visual (and interactive) treat!

Sooo good.

pants

Not sure what sort of numbers it's sold but I've always felt Awesomenauts has been under-appreciated despite being a really fun game.

Game has an obnoxiously loud icon on the XMB. I may be shallow but for that reason alone I uninstalled and will never play it.

Not enough people have played Double Dragon Neon

Silent Hill Downpour.

I'm not going to make any excuses for its bugs or other technical drawbacks. The game could have performed a lot better and the visuals could have been improved. I'm not even a graphics whore at all, but Silent Hill games should always look terrific in my opinion because the presentation and atmosphere is so key in these games.

That being said, I felt like there were still so many things about this game that were very solid. For one, it fucking sickens me that we're getting articles about how good the story and storytelling is in Black Ops 2, when the story, dialogue, voice acting, and revelations in Downpour run circles around that junk, and frankly, every other game I've played this year. Its characters were supremely well defined and written and the storytelling was absolutely exceptional for a videogame.

While many feel that the atmosphere has been lost since "Team Silent" left, I completely disagree. It may not be the same, but it still had its own defined theme and I thought they did an excellent job with the direction they picked for this game. It had a very damp, dreary atmosphere that I thought fit very well with the franchise and it made it feel very unique. The otherworld sections, while mostly linear and some of them having a stupid urgency to push you forward, were still highly creative and sometimes very disturbing.

The soundtrack by Daniel Licht was also very good and he didn't make me miss Akira Yamaoka at all. The gameplay itself, well, it's standard survival horror fare more or less. If you don't like that sort of thing in general, I wouldn't recommend it, but I actually liked that the gameplay was very basic and "barebones" as I don't really need some great combat system or amazing gameplay in this kind of game (see: every other survival horror game including the older SH's).

It's by no means a perfect game, it could have used a lot of technical work, could have used better graphics, and its gameplay is merely serviceable to the type of game it is, but Downpour's atmosphere, music, story, and characters were outstanding, and the game had its fair share of spookiness especially if you actually finished it and did all the sidequests. We're still a bit of a way from having that "ideal" Silent Hill experience on newer consoles as I feel there's still loads of untapped potential both graphically and atmospherically, but with a higher budget and the same kind of strong creative talent that was involved with Downpour, I feel pretty good about the future of the series, even while so many others may not.

So yes. I wouldn't necessarily recommend this game to graphics lovers or any "mainstream" gamers, but to fans of the niche horror gaming genre that actually has good storytelling/writing unlike some of these "AAA" games like Mass Effect or Assassin's Creed I would implore them to at least give it a shot.

I've played Downpour start to finish twice and the writing and plot in it is absolutely terrible. The people holding it up to the Team Silent days must have finally let the low expectations get to them. It's an improvement on homecoming, to be sure, but that's not saying much. It's also a really, really tame and un-scary horror game.

Nobody mentioned Chivalry Medieval Warfare in this thread? I'm surprised. It got more attention after the most recent Steam sale. It was a complete surprise for me. The combat feels great, there is depth but at the same time it's very accessible. It comes down to mind games with your opponent. Catch them off guard with feints and intentional misses that screw with their parry timing. At the same time, it is one of the funniest games I've ever played. I think it may be the best use of voice acting in a game this year. The war cries and taunts and death screams and gargles, it just cracks me up whenever I play. The game is just straight, pure, uncut fun.

Unicorn

Twisted Metal? Game is solid from a game play point of view, but terrible single player and awful launch month (plus demo failings) sealed it in a coffin quickly. Dunno about sales, but people sure didn't keep the game long.

The disc is still in my PS3 and it's probably the best arena combat game to come out in a while. Most of the maps aren't great, and Sony didn't even think it deserved DLC (which was in the pipeline)

Jaffe and Co. Announcing that they were bailing shortly after release wavered a lot of hype as well.

Great game marred by industry bullshit.

I've played Downpour start to finish twice and the writing and plot in it is absolutely terrible. The people holding it up to the Team Silent days must have finally let the low expectations get to them. It's an improvement on homecoming, to be sure, but that's not saying much. It's also a really, really tame and un-scary horror game.

Clearly we disagree, but there's nothing wrong with that. And I'm not holding it up to the first three games.

Uthred

Syndicate.

Better Co-op shooter than anything else I've played this gen.

The gunplay is basically perfect.

Imagine left 4 dead in a cyber punk world without awful zombies, and garbage source engine shooting.

Also Dragon'a Dogma/Kingdoms of Amalur are both complete ass no matter how much you hate skyrim.

In the same post recommending Syndicate while slamming Dragons Dogma, they should just put a screengrab of it in the dictionary alongside "Wrong". Dragon's Dogma is probably the most authentically realised fantasy sandbox there's been so far.

Binabik15

I think Dragons Dogma did alright sales wise but it should have set the world on fire. The combat was some of the best RPG combat in the past few years and the monsters were a visual (and interactive) treat!

Sooo good.

Damn, have to buy that. I love monsters.

What I take from this thread is that Sony creates a lot of good to great games that don't sell. No sequels for people who like them :/

Lots of people mentioning Dragon's Dogma. I really didn't dig Skyrim after playing for a while. What makes Dragon's Dogma such a good game? I like the demo well enough, but I also REALLY liked the Kingdoms of Amalur demo and both got very middling reviews. Help me out here.
Dragon's Dogma has:

- The best combat of any action RPG in years. Yes, I AM including the -Souls series in there (it just wasn't for me). Being able to actually climb on top of a hydra's neck and slice it off, without ever losing direct control of your character, is an unmatched experience.

- Excellent character customization. Choose between a large array of attacks and passive abilities - passives can even be used across all 9 classes! So you can, for example, level up the assassin class to gain the passive abilities that increase your damage and defense when you're traveling alone if you want to play the lone wolf, and those passives will take effect regardless of which class you choose. Even beyond that, the physical character customization is ace - you can change facial features, height, body mass, musculature, and more. Also, there is a good variety in armor appearances, and multiple visible armor slots (head, arm, chest armor, chest clothing, leg clothing, leg armor). Oh, and by the way, player weight and height actually has an effect on gameplay. :)

- Night time is pitch-black, and requires the use of torches to see most anything at all. This makes playing during the night an intense, possibly terrifying experience.

- Great monsters, especially all of the big ones. Though you will eventually get to the point where you kill chimeras in the space of a few seconds, before you reach that point, they will give you a huge challenge. They have some of the best animation I've ever seen in a video game, too. Many of them have unique quirks that you will learn to take full advantage of (wisps will try to possess player characters, and can only be hit by physical weapons once they do; saurians will parry your attacks, but cutting off their tail leaves them vulnerable; and so on).

- The story blows your mind in the last third. Admittedly, the story takes a back-seat otherwise, but I loved the direction it went in once you
finally off the dragon

Those were my highlights. I really think the game deserves more success than it got. The sequel is going to be amazing if it's on next-gen systems!

jackal27

Banned
Dragon's Dogma has:

- The best combat of any action RPG in years. Yes, I AM including the -Souls series in there (it just wasn't for me). Being able to actually climb on top of a hydra's neck and slice it off, without ever losing direct control of your character, is an unmatched experience.

- Excellent character customization. Choose between a large array of attacks and passive abilities - passives can even be used across all 9 classes! So you can, for example, level up the assassin class to gain the passive abilities that increase your damage and defense when you're traveling alone if you want to play the lone wolf, and those passives will take effect regardless of which class you choose. Even beyond that, the physical character customization is ace - you can change facial features, height, body mass, musculature, and more. Also, there is a good variety in armor appearances, and multiple visible armor slots (head, arm, chest armor, chest clothing, leg clothing, leg armor). Oh, and by the way, player weight and height actually has an effect on gameplay. :)

- Night time is pitch-black, and requires the use of torches to see most anything at all. This makes playing during the night an intense, possibly terrifying experience.

- Great monsters, especially all of the big ones. Though you will eventually get to the point where you kill chimeras in the space of a few seconds, before you reach that point, they will give you a huge challenge. They have some of the best animation I've ever seen in a video game, too. Many of them have unique quirks that you will learn to take full advantage of (wisps will try to possess player characters, and can only be hit by physical weapons once they do; saurians will parry your attacks, but cutting off their tail leaves them vulnerable; and so on).

- The story blows your mind in the last third. Admittedly, the story takes a back-seat otherwise, but I loved the direction it went in once you
finally off the dragon

Those were my highlights. I really think the game deserves more success than it got. The sequel is going to be amazing if it's on next-gen systems!

Sounds neat! I may have to give it a try. I still wish that it had turned out to be a Breath of Fire game though, haha!

Grisby

Nobody mentioned Chivalry Medieval Warfare in this thread? I'm surprised. It got more attention after the most recent Steam sale. It was a complete surprise for me. The combat feels great, there is depth but at the same time it's very accessible. It comes down to mind games with your opponent. Catch them off guard with feints and intentional misses that screw with their parry timing. At the same time, it is one of the funniest games I've ever played. I think it may be the best use of voice acting in a game this year. The war cries and taunts and death screams and gargles, it just cracks me up whenever I play. The game is just straight, pure, uncut fun.
Man, this type of game is what I miss from PC gaming. I'll file it away though for when I do re-enter the scene.

Looks fun.

Icefire1424

0CqmI.jpg

Wargame: European Escalation. So good. So very good.

Came here to post this one. Really think this was one of the strongest RTS titles to come out this year, was almost completely overlooked. Single player was pretty meh, but multiplayer was a blast. Generated enough interest to spark a sequel anyways, so there is still some hope for the series.

That, and the game was supported by the developers exceedingly well. All DLC was free, and brought in new maps and new modes regularly.

Nert

Botanicula

1) If you have ~3 minutes, listen to this music and try not to smile
2) If you have ~40 minutes, watch this delightful Quick Look

From the makers of Machinarium and many other games, Botanicula oozes charm and personality more than anything else released this year. The sound design is consistently excellent and the scenarios you run into are really bizarre and creative. You get to play volleyball at one point, for example.

Know what you're getting into, though; Botanicula is a fairly simple point and click adventure game that's more about poking around and exploring than challenge. It provides a nice change of pace from, say, an FPS campaign, but it might not be for everybody.

Oh, and the art design. This game is gorgeous.

eso76

Also Dragon'a Dogma/Kingdoms of Amalur are both complete ass no matter how much you hate skyrim.

True. I really wanted to like DD, but HUD, camera and frame rate made everything so confusing. Game is simply unreadable. Shame because it has a few amazing things.

Empty

Botanicula

1) If you have ~3 minutes, listen to this music and try not to smile
2) If you have ~40 minutes, watch this delightful Quick Look

From the makers of Machinarium and many other games, Botanicula oozes charm and personality more than anything else released this year. The sound design is consistently excellent and the scenarios you run into are really bizarre and creative. You get to play volleyball at one point, for example.

Know what you're getting into, though; Botanicula is a fairly simple point and click adventure game that's more about poking around and exploring than challenge. It provides a nice change of pace from, say, an FPS campaign, but it might not be for everybody.

Oh, and the art design. This game is gorgeous.

this sounds really cool but are you sure about it being simple and easy. people told me that machinarium was relaxing in a similar way and i wanted to love that game so much but i just don't have the mind for its puzzles and ended up finding it very frustrating.

Top Bottom