• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2012 Year in Review: Good games that few people played

NSMBWiiU.

One of of the best platformers ever made.
If you collect the starcoins, the game is very challenging. It looks really good, has nice anti aliassing in gameplay and it runs great.

Nabs

DESPERATE GODS

Download for free (PC/MAC): http://www.wolfire.com/desperate-gods
Developer Overview: http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=8WD0gMu0LDU

in4bFxGYCZEW0.jpg

Why you should play DG:

1) It's a board game with monsters and shit.
2) It has a great physics system. It's fun to do shit.
3) There's no CPU to enforce any rules. You play this how you would any board game at home.
4) You can play this offline or online.
5) It's fucking free and open source.

elfinke

Some good suggestions in here. I swear if Dragon's Dogma came to PC I'd be all over it, I really enjoyed the demo. I've moved away from console gaming since clearing most of my console backlog earlier this year to almost exclusive PC gaming now. Asura's Wrath keeps appearing and disappearing from my radar, too. Will keep an eye out for it this holiday season and will pick it up, I think. The GB guys yacked about it for long enough sometime ago.

I fucking loved I Am Alive so I'm glad it's getting recommended right up on the first page.

Currently playing through both Binary Domain and Spec Ops, having bought them both recently. Enjoying them quiet a bit respectively. See how that pans out and if the feeling remains.

I'll add a couple indie titles that I really enjoyed that I doubt made any real impact sales-wise. I hope ipso facto, that I do not need to preface these recommendations with any kind of caveats about their overall quality, length or what have you. There is a Steam sale coming up so I'm sure you could add these to your Steam library for less than $10 all told in a few weeks. With that said, the titles link to RPS articles (which if you're at all interested in these games I highly recommend you read) and the images link to the Steam store.

A Valley Without Wind

GiantBomb QL

Man oh man I enjoyed this bizarre game. The RPS wot I think linked to in the title sums the game up perfectly. The demo on Steam is a pretty perfect taster of what it is about, so if you enjoy it at all and want more then go for it (though the demo is pretty comprehensive, you might get enough enjoyment out of it!) Incredibly niche but in terms of unexpected enjoyment and hours invested per money spent, it was this years' Terraria to me (though I could sit and play Terraria for hours on end, whereas I'm only good for short bursts of this).

Krater

GiantBomb QL

Shitcanned at review (~50% on metacritic) due to its launch state and undeniable quirkyness, yet I think game cannot be understated. From the music (which is amazing), the voice acting (if you dig the pyro in TF2, this'll be up your alley), the cut from map to map and the general aesthetic of the game (Wallace and Gromit crossed with Crysis look about it at times), I thoroughly enjoyed this game also. Sure, it could use a deeper strategic combat system and I guess if you care about stories in games (lol), particularly in Diablo-like game (elohel) then this will miss the mark.

But I really dug it.

Tiny and Big: Grandpa's Leftovers

GiantBomb QL

(It's on sale right now - $2.50!!)

Oh boy, this game is just great, as long as you've not your fill of indie quirks and y'know, it suits your palette. The GiantBomb quicklook originally sold me on it and I subsequently enjoyed it immensely. It's silly and it embraces that it is silly. Like RPS mentions, it may have benefited from a more sandboxy approach, but it can be bought for two tenths of fuck all, it does what it does well and I never really grew tired of doing that thing (shooting a laser and watching big bits of rock and stuff fall to bits).

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
this sounds really cool but are you sure about it being simple and easy. people told me that machinarium was relaxing in a similar way and i wanted to love that game so much but i just don't have the mind for its puzzles and ended up finding it very frustrating.

It's not really very tough, apart from one or two annoying parts where you need to "fling" some objects around with a mouse that doesn't work as well as it should (would have probably been better on a touch screen)...

Just clicking on all the objects on a screen and doing a bit of backtracking should be enough to get you through. And yeah it's a really cool game - very whimsical and unique.

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
Another vote for Hell Yeah! and Sine Mora. Great games.

Just finished Sine Mora and it has shot up to one of my most favorite games of the year,
it's on a 66% sale on steam now for a measly few bucks. Make me proud gaf.

Tizoc

+1 for Sonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed~
Don't make me post it's music for the umpteenth time now.

Fantasmo

Just finished Sine Mora and it has shot up to one of my most favorite games of the year,
it's on a 66% sale on steam now for a measly few bucks. Make me proud gaf.

I bought them both because of the sale. Glad I did.

Hell Yeah! has a lot of charm and personality. Reminds me of Earthworm Jim in that sense. I'm really really surprised nobody's talking about it. Here's a few shots of of Hell Yeah!

Most new games are:

1) Long intro
2) Listen to people talk for a few hours
3) 2 hour tutorial
4) Shoot a couple things, get new powers
5) More listening, more talking, more tutorial
6) Some gameplay
7) More tutorials and talking
8) Game picks up, gets too hard. Oh shit I missed an item back there
9) Ending

These smaller games are what gaming is about. PLAYING GAMES. Soooo refreshing!

I'll add Sonic Generations as a recommendation. You can skip the cutscenes and it has a lot of playability and I think it's on sale also. And the game is downright gorgeous.

Krater

GiantBomb QL

Shitcanned at review (~50% on metacritic) due to its launch state and undeniable quirkyness, yet I think game cannot be understated. From the music (which is amazing), the voice acting (if you dig the pyro in TF2, this'll be up your alley), the cut from map to map and the general aesthetic of the game (Wallace and Gromit crossed with Crysis look about it at times), I thoroughly enjoyed this game also. Sure, it could use a deeper strategic combat system and I guess if you care about stories in games (lol), particularly in Diablo-like game (elohel) then this will miss the mark.

But I really dug it.

Good man. My GOTY, edging out things like Wargame:EE and Endless Space.

This thread has convinced me to pick up Botanicula in the next Steam sale. Just the music makes me feel all warm in the same way that ilomilo did in 2010 (another criminally underrated game).

Himself

Glad to see people giving Sine Mora a shot. Don't forget Akai Katana and Under Defeat HD! Now that I think about it, it's kinda been a good year for shmups. Which, of course, few people played...

With Dark Souls leaving me a bit cold, maybe I'll check out Dragons Dogma. PS3 or 360?

Top Bottom