• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2014 Microsoft E3 Conference

Another thing about the conference was that it really felt to me, that the show peaked at two particular points.

- Sunset Overdrive's introduction + gameplay demo
- ID@Xbox montage

The CGi trailers at the end, while new games, didn't have that wow creation moment that FFXV, KH3 or #noDRM had.

N.Domixis

Banned
I'm not sure what people expected, but I found it to be a reasonably impressive conference. Multiple unannounced exclusives, multiple games shown with game play, nothing but games.

The only part I found weird at all was Alex from Harmonix, who sincerely sounded like he couldn't give a fuck.
lmao, we new about everything already, that ntkrnl guy was a legit leaker. That was the most surprising thing.

This show was so good because they only spent 3 mins on the shit Kinect with Dance Central / Disney Fantasia. The rest were all controller-based games. THANKFULLY!

Phil did a nice job and they did a good show, I'd give it an 8/10.

Copenap

Interesting reactions. A lot of people wanted MS to focus on games and now people are harping on a game focused conference
Don't be silly. People congratulate MS for the format and critizise for the lack of interesting and/or surprising first party games. Sounds reasonable to me. Additonally, CG trailers to me always just scream "see you in 2-3 years" but I guess it works...

SegaShack

I thought the conference was really entertaining, but the Conker thing killed me; for a split second I thought they were actually going to announce a new Conker game.

I know buddy, I know! Conker BFD and the remake are both amazing games and I love them to pieces. Was playing through Live and Reloaded this week. What the hell? They seriously show Conker come out and cut the logo with the chainsaw like the N64 opening and then it doesn't go to a new game. It doesn't even say how he is in project spark.

Is there a Conker adventure in Project Spark to download? I turned on the game and updated it but there was no Conker content. Is Project Spark actually out of Beta now?

Mariolee

As someone who has never owned an Xbox, never been a Microsoft fan, and had no expectations for this conference, I was massively impressed. 9/10.

Majukun

6/10 for me...if i cared about many of the exclusives they showed,maybe it would have been a 7/10,but since project spark is also on pc and the platinum game and crackdown are only a CG trailer,it stays a 6

Enjoyed the conferece a lot.

My only complaint is the excessive amount of CGs... Just wayy too much "conceptual gameplay".

Solid 8/10 to me.

Best was either Sunset Overdrive or Ori.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
so no Gears of War, but presumably Crackdown is 2016 along with GoW? So they didn't dip too far into their future stuff, but I guess GoW and Crackdown will be their tentpoles for 2016

The conference was fine but no really must have titles and Halo collection is coming to 360 too.
The Division demo was impressive but most likely ran in a very powerful computer. Is very hard to impress gamers these days.

Nah, the division looked worse then last e3. I don't doubt that it was actually xb1 gameplay

Occam

Translation of the meaning of all those CG trailers: No "need" for an Xbone before 2016.
Maybe it'll slim down a bit by then, too.

I was really hoping we would get a glimpse of Gears.
While I'm usually not a big fan of obvious machismo male power fantasy stuff, I've always made an exception for that franchise. It's really fun to play, and I was ready to see the next installment running on Xbone.
Oh well.
:p

T.O.P

Banned
xboxkillzonegifhighquality_by_syeds-d6u5m5j.gif

This was DOMINATION

perfect

UberTag

Geoff: Hey Phil, why should gamers buy your system and not PS4?
Phil: We've got drivatars and cloud-computing in this 2016 game Crackdown and we're an amazing dev platform. Oh and thanks launch buyers for paying the extra $100 for that useless Kinect camera.

d0nnie

Banned
The Xbox loyals will be wow'd by Microsoft no matter what....

There was nothing great or amazing about this conference. Next...

xandaca

6/10. Entirely predictable, totally safe and what little gameplay was featured all looked like last-gen stuff with a moderate visual upgrade. On the plus side, there were lots of games as promised, quite a few colourful ones (a welcome change from Microsoft's usual greybrown exclusivity), no mention of Kinect and no humiliating backdowns. The Platinum game, Inside and 'available now' Dead Rising DLC were the highlights, Sunset Overdrive and its completely insufferable protagonist and corporate-generic brand of cartoon zaniness was the lowlight. Well, actually, the Halo woman's "I love you too!" - EDIT: And the Conker troll - was the real lowlight, but Sunset takes it for the actual games. Nothing too bad though, just nothing great either.

Mascot

I think I might be getting too old for gaming.
Only racing sims and annual FIFA updates seem to do it for me now. Most of the MS conference just bored me to tears.

quest

Not Banned from OT
biggest change in messaging in some years for MS was the total lack of family/casual ware. messaging was very focused on a certain type of gamer. for coming off a system that was pretty successful with the expanded audience, its a bit of a surprise to see the reversal and abandoning of kinect.

They needed to and it makes sense. The reason the casual and kinect worked was because it came years after the launch. Casuals are not going to spend 499.99 on a console. Go after core gamers first then move on from there. MS tried to do both and failed with both completely.

I think MS missed an opportunity to reiterate their XBL changes. Show sneak peaks of games coming to Xbox one free this fall in their new games with gold program. Like will Forza 5 be free soon? KI season one? It'd be nice to know

MS announced those changes some weeks ago just to spend time in games in the show

Sony or Nintendo need just a single "surprise" to raise the bar after this one.
Literally everything was leaked or known beforehand. People at MS must have been frustrated as hell.

Yea, I honestly don't get how anyone can still think Ntkrnl was controlled. He essentially ruined their entire conference. Stupid conspiracy theories...

I liked the conference, all games, no BS. I was happy they had a lot of live game demonstrations (most E3 conferences have almost no live gameplay). Did people that are complaining about the CG trailer stuff not see any of the gameplay demos? Most of those were at the beginning of the conference, so if you started in later, you might have missed many of them. It seems the way they did the conference was 2014 stuff first (with gameplay demos) and at the end stuff that's further out (mostly CG trailers, obviously, since the games are probably not ready to be shown).

Overall, it was interesting to get some of this stuff leaked early because interesting to read, but it definitely made the conference a little underwhelming. I'd give it a somewhere around an 8/10. I think had that stuff not leaked, it would have been much better (some of the leaked stuff could have been megaton). Was hoping for some more bombs, even if the games are far out (2016 and beyond).

Most excited about:
- Halo collection: holy shit, can't wait
- Forza Horizon 2: I'm assuming what they showed off was in-engine, looks awesome visually, will probably still play great like first, looking forward to gameplay footage
- Inside: looks really cool and interesting
- Ori: Liked the atmosphere and music, want to see more
- Crackdown: Loved the first one, want to see more
- SSOD: obviously knew about it, still want it
- Phantom Dust: enjoyed the first one on Xbox, hoping this is fun, too
- Fable Legends: Could see this being fun
- ScaleBound: Looks cool, want to see more, still far off
- Project Spark: really like the beta. Conker?? Yes, please.

GHG

Gold Member
I also cannot believe they really didn't have any 1st party new IP's to announce...

It was all remakes. Fan service but you won't expand your userbase doing this.

KalBalboa

Banned
8/10.

Lots of games, even if there were a lot of CG trailers and games that were coming to PS4, too.

The humility was good to see, not to mention Crackdown.

Yawnier

Banned
One thing about the conference is that Japanese games were almost non-existent except for Platinum's CG trailer and maybe another game I'm forgetting here. So, if you're like me and don't care much for western developed shooters these days I can see why one wouldn't be all that big on the conference.

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
Definitely like the style.
3rd best announcement for Xbox other than the new Platinum & Phantom Dust games.
I love this, they're definitely paying homage to the original style of animation in that title. Very interested to see more. The highlights for me
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RpJ6GICqQyc
^ Always at Ubisoft/Sony conferences so I got super giddy when I saw the logo on stage. Looks so next gen. Literally teared up a little while watching this just because of how beautiful it looks compared to AC4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hx6XVoZAmM8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=foDEbAbOVZE
^ That cover shooter trailer joke was amazing
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EamfMt3vVSc
^ Witcher 3 <3
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q9RNogRz0J8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qmu_TRs-esk
^ Artsy indie fix satifisied.
Definitely a 9/10 conference for me. Very focused, no tv or sports. Hype is real for me and i'm definitely purchasing an xb1 this summer.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I think I might be getting too old for gaming.
Only racing sims and annual FIFA updates seem to do it for me now. Most of the MS conference just bored me to tears.

Forza Horizon 2 and Driveclub is a pretty nice last few months of the year though :)

Microsoft, Sony and Nintendo (and third parties) need to do a better job of controlling leaks. We haven't had a truly GREAT conference in years from any of them, and prior leaks is one of the reasons why. It can't be that hard to convince people to keep their mouths shut.

All of the games shown that interested me are multiplats that are coming to PC. Witcher 3, The Division, AC Unity, Dragon Age: Inquisition, the new Tomb Raider. Witcher 3 and DA: I are Day 1s, while I'm still on the fence with Division, Unity, and Rise of the Tomb Raider (terrible name).

Inside also interested me, and that's likely going to be multiplatform. Even the new CoD looked good, though I doubt I'll buy it.

I felt underwhelmed with Sunset Overdrive, Ori, Phantom Dust, Crackdown, Project Spark and Scalebound.

Conference grade: C+

Sony can easily top MS's conference.

Top Bottom