• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2014 Microsoft E3 Conference

TTOOLL

I really liked the stage and the pace of the show. No megatons but solid conference.
Instead of buying timed DLC MS should invest in new games, even if they are smaller ones.

Liked Crackdown, Halo, SnstOvrdrv, and CoD. Rest was kinda boring but I think overall it was ~8/10.

I'm not really expecting any better from Sony though and Nintendo can either be way better or terrible depending on what they show so it was pretty good with respect to my expectations for the big 3 this year.

FoeHammer

Great conference, tons of games. It kinda sucks most of that stuff was leaked but that's the world we live in now I guess.

My only disappointment continues to be Rare. What the fuck is that studio doing?

ethomaz

Banned
fe49a2fe22.png

:lol
Shots fired lol

NeoUltima

D.

The format was boring. No personality to it. Just felt like watching a bunch of trailers. No news to top the headlines.
The three big new exclusive games were just CG trailers.
Highlights were a few idie games and some good stage demos.
This is e3...give us fresh news. Should have saved the Kinectless/price drop info for the conference. That would have been headline news. And they should NOT have shown Sunset Overdrive gameplay before E3 either. The demo would have blown people away in the moment.

I think MS missed an opportunity to reiterate their XBL changes. Show sneak peaks of games coming to Xbox one free this fall in their new games with gold program. Like will Forza 5 be free soon? KI season one? It'd be nice to know

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Pros
- Games. Ori and Limbo 2. Yes please.
- Nothing felt too long
- No hiccups

Cons
- 2014 looks very weak imo. Forza, Halo, and SO is nothing crazy.
- everythingwascgi.jpeg
- No QB or Gears teaser
- Weak 3rd party showing. AssCreed and COD was same old shit.
- Unless you lived under a rock there were no megatons. At all. Unless you're a fan of Phantom Dust.
- Kinect is dead (could also be considered a pro)
- No new system features

Should have saved $399 and paywall announcement imo. The leaks really hurt the conference. 5/10. But still enjoyable. Just not good enough to make me buy an X1 this xmas.

My sentiments exactly. Good summation of the show, except I'd add Fable Legends/Project Spark to Pros.

sublimit

Banned
Very disappointing overall for me. There was only one game that really interested me (Ori) and that is far from a system seller.

ExVicis

Great conference, tons of games. It kinda sucks most of that stuff was leaked but that's the world we live in now I guess.

My only disappointment continues to be Rare. What the fuck is that studio doing?

Conker confirmed for not getting anew real new games. That really made me sad and almost ruined the conference for me.

Respawn

Banned
I'll say this, the cloth physics in Assassins Creed looked good. It's what I always expected from a next gen Assassins Creed

The new COD game also looked as good as Battlefield, finally.
Gameplay will blow, but at least it will look good.

The screen tearing though was atrocious. Loved everything else on AC.

It was a solid conference but it's not what will make me rush to buy out an Xbox One. No megatons and pretty much everything got leaked beforehand. Sunset Overdrive was once again the highlight and Horizon 2 will probably be great. Crackdown looked kinda bad and is seemingly far away. Also no Gears or Quantum Break.

Scythian

I haven't cared about Halo since ODST, so having the old maps and game styles back in a collection is kind of a big deal, I would love to play them all. And you can always play the campaigns in classic style IIRC.

quest

Not Banned from OT
I liked it I liked it was all business for the most part. Did not have to listen to endless talking of executives. I am Jelly of the new Dead Rising would love to play that.

Majmun

CG trailers, cg trailer and cg trailers.

Those games are probably years away, maybe even in conceptual stage.

starmud

biggest change in messaging in some years for MS was the total lack of family/casual ware. messaging was very focused on a certain type of gamer. for coming off a system that was pretty successful with the expanded audience, its a bit of a surprise to see the reversal and abandoning of kinect.

They showed nothing but games, but because of a lack of megaton you think they suck, but when they show charts, talk entertainment, talk kinect, xbox live numbers, more charts show 5 games, plus a montage and dropped a megaton that good enough for ya'll, LOL..

Hawk269

I'm not sure what people expected, but I found it to be a reasonably impressive conference. Multiple unannounced exclusives, multiple games shown with game play, nothing but games.

The only part I found weird at all was Alex from Harmonix, who sincerely sounded like he couldn't give a fuck.

Agree, I thought it was a great conference and it focused on games. People are scoring it low because of leaks. Well, you are knocking them because you could not contain yourself and your read about the leaks.

Anyways, great conference, lots of good games this year and next year.

The games only thing was taken a bit too far. That was like watching game trailers for an hour and a half... I do like to know what's in store for my console in the coming year as well. I'll be happy to see some of that in the Sony con. I can watch those trailers anywhere. Also a lot of CG, and Beta's.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
Sorry guys but I thought it was awful.

No megatons, lots of CGI, lots of bullshit timed (moneyhatted) exclusive DLC that makes no difference in the grand scheme of things.

For xbox diehards I can see why they may have seen it as good since there's a lot of nostalgia announced but for everyone else... What are the selling points? Where is that new IP console exclusive to draw people in and define a generation in the way that Gears of War did?

I cannot believe they blew their load before e3 for that. If they had announced the kinnectless version and Forza horizon 2 at this with some gameplay I would have been hyped but they decided to drip feed that to us prior to the conference for some unknown reason.

Not to mention the fact that they are sitting on Rare and wasting all of their IP's and their talent/creativity.

Easy conference for Sony to beat, all they have to do is show some gameplay and some new innovative hardware/ideas (VR, PS Now).

I agree with all of your post, EXCEPT for the awful part. I'm no MS fan by any means, but I thought it was a very decent show. The best thing by far for me was the Halo franchise pack. It might actually get me to buy an X1, and that's saying A LOT.

But yeah it should be easy for Sony to surpass it IMHO too. Now, if MS had held back all of their recent announcements until this show today, man that would have been quite the megaton bomb dropping going on. As it is now, I think MS is laying a good path for the future. It's not going to get them ahead of Sony by any means, but I think it will stem the tide some.

meppi

Now that I think about it, Shenmue 3 wasn't there so at least it won't be Xbox exclusive if it is being made. Therefore, I give this conference 10/10. :p

Kind of awkward after Spencer opened up the conference gushing about and showing CoD for 10 fucking minutes though.

Everything about Call of Duty Advanced Warfare seems to be trying too hard, from the name to the gameplay, to the Matrix-lite setting. That well is dry IMO, hoping that this one flops so they can actually try something new.

GeeDuhb

sunset overdrive looks good but the rest bored me. There was some great indies but most or all will be multi plat anyway.

Agreed. I bought a WiiU last week, and I was going to get either that or a One (I have a PS4.) I was worried that this conference would make me bummed that I didn't get a One, but the only exclusive that I would even want to play is Sunset Overdrive. That alone is not enough to make me buy the console.

7/10, it was a great show with games upon games upon games, but it seemed like 70 minutes of third parties and 20 of exclusives. And as everyone else said, too much CG...but I guess thats what you get when you talk about a lot of 2015 titles.

Lemondish

As a PS4 owner, this conference appealed to me. I got to see tons of great third party games I'll get to play and I never had any attachment to the exclusive franchises they showed off with boring CGI trailers.

AmanoBuff

Very decent conference but nothing spectacular. Too much CG also.

But still, it was WAY better than last year, and I don't think Sony will have any trouble beating this.

Interesting reactions. A lot of people wanted MS to focus on games and now people are harping on a game focused conference

I think it's the actual content and not complaining about being game focused. I think some wanted one or two more big announcements over showings of already announced third party games.

Top Bottom