• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2014 Microsoft E3 Conference

Good not great conference. Only thing tha really wowed me that I can't get on PS4 was Sunset Overdrive. That looks amazing. The end CGI trailers did nothing for me at all.

Jomjom

Banned
On the plus side I am happy Assassins Creed is done with so I don't see it in the Sony conference. Microsoft have failed to impress me so I am happy as I atleast do not feel too bad for not being a Xbox One owner and missing out on the exclusives.

Yeah but you get something worse, having to see Destiny for the 849959th time.

Elixist

loved the no bullshit, liked the show of respect at the beginning, no real megas for me. SO looked awesome, Halo collection is cool, Inside looked amazing thats about it, the style of platinums game looked corny which i didnt expect. 7/10 for me.

sunnz

You see the Killzone cover, right?

I do but what does it mean,

Domination as in it looked better than KZ graphically? cause it didn't.
They didn't have any digs at KZ.

Domination as it will sell better, well we all know that anyway...

I don't get what the halo announcement has to do with KZ.
I feel like that guy had the gif ready to use before the event.

My favorites:

-Sunset Overdrive: Honestly the best exclusive XBO has going until Quantum Break. I got a (good) Sonic vibe from the play footage and the humor was witty. It's just refreshing to see a big game that isn't be pretentious or epically serious for once, and a nice fun color scheme and art style.

-Lifeless: I love cosmology. I love sci-fi. So by default I'm at least interested in this.

-Cuphead: This one looks awesome. Very in the spirit of those older Warner Bros/Disney shorts. Looks to be a platformer of some sort. The visual style alone's got me interested.

-Drifter: This looked pretty cool.

-Dead Rising 3: Capcom Arcade Edition: Came out of left field, looks really wacky and fun. Guess it's as close to the spirit of the older games fans will get for a while, but it did look fun. Too bad I don't got no XBO to play it on :(

I'm honestly really surprised they didn't give Quantum Break any stage time, I think that was a mistake. But overall they had a good conference, even if my tastes didn't align with the majority of what they showed.

On Platinum's game...I'm iffy. Thematically it's been done to death, but when he was riding that dragon and charging in it reminded me of the Panzer Dragoon games. Hopefully it's more about you and your dragon and that sort of thing, like Lair but done right, and not a 3rd-person on-foot melee action like thing.

Also hopefully there's more to it thematically then the fantasy stuff.

JetBlackPanda

Gold Member
xboxkillzonegifhighquality_by_syeds-d6u5m5j.gif

This was DOMINATION

Im sorry but if you take away multiplat games and focus on only the Xbox stuff.

Yeesh. 5 Masterchiefs is right.

really appreciate the no nonsense approach though.

Ori was probably the only exclusive that appealed to me.
Not even sure if it is exclusive or just timed exclusive
. Everything else that may have interested me was either multi-plat or had no game play or pre-recorded footage. Pretty weak showing but compared to last years it was miles ahead.

K' Dash

Fantastic way to start the E3.

Loved the media briefing and loved Phil, I'm buying an X1 soon.

Let's see how Sony fares against this.

TheHater

Geoff: Hey Phil, why should gamers buy your system and not PS4?
Phil: We've got drivatars and cloud-computing in this 2016 game Crackdown and we're an amazing dev platform. Oh and thanks launch buyers for paying the extra $100 for that useless Kinect camera.
Kinda felt bad until he mention cloud. Then I was like screw his and the bullshit

fasTRapid

Banned
GAF is on! Oo I guess that's due to the lack of megatons... It was a good show, don't get me wrong, but there were literally zero surprises for me. Ntkrnl was dead on. Even worse, they apparently demoed everything on High-End-PCs, just like last year. I rather have CG trailers, and there were many, than gameplay that's not possible on Xbox One showed off at the Xbox One show. :/

GHG

Gold Member
So the Platinum game doesn't count? Or is this another thing where we use "1st party" as a term to exclude games for no apparent reason?

Are you serious? It being 1st party makes a big difference. They should try investing into their own studios or even acquiring some studios rather than throw money around and hope someone decent bites.

Titanfall was not first party and look at how that went... It's more than likely going multiplat with the next iteration.

I just had to do this...

bvWuUqY.png

I seriously hope this trend of CG trailers dies. I had hoped this generation would have been the end of CG trailers thanks to more powerful consoles. Guess we will continue to see them until the end of time.

same here. but some games aren't far enough in development to show off.

Mastperf

Very little Kinect and saying dedicated servers and not the cloud. Pretty nice conference overall. Nothing major but plenty of things for XB1 fans to look forward to.

Arthea

I liked no nonsense attitude this time around, only games and to the point, that was refreshing.
And Phantom Dust looked great, not talking about Platinum game. That was some trailer.

Varg

Banned
I hope all the E3's from now are formatted just like this. New Suit/Investor Bullshit slides, just fucking games. Yes, It was disappointing that most games were leaked before hand but you gotta give it to MS for only showing games. That Halo package is gonna be epic, so much damn content for $60 can't wait.

This. Very shocked to see the whining in the thread about the conference. Tons of games only on Xbox one announced and still people cry lol. I'm waiting for tonight to see the same people eat up the cg trailers for ps4. I'll be there letting you know about it. Solid performance MS.

bombshell

Huh? Which are you counting as the highlights?

1. The Division (gameplay!), 2. The Witcher 3 (gameplay!) and 3. The Tomb Raider reveal (CG trailers are not exciting to me, but I can't wait for a new Tomb Raider).

Sunset Overdrive, Forza Horizon 2, and Crackdown are multiplatform?!

Why didn't they keep them exclusive??

I can give you Sunset Overdrive looks fun, but something just seems off to me with the grinding and jumping speed. Otherwise it would for sure have been in my top 3.

kinggroin

Banned
All Sony have to do is show project beast and uncharted 4 and it is over

Over for them, sure.

I think the conference today, in a bubble, was a solid 8.5/10 with lots of amazing software being shown. Indies especially.

But when you looked at from the perspective of a PS4 owner, or PC owner or multiplatform owner.... It begins to fall apart.

6.5/10

More exclusive content and less cg would have easily bumped it up to a 9 for me.

Call me old fashioned but I kind of like the huge announcements. This shows wasn't bad by any means as far as content goes. Lots of stuff but it was shown like one long preview of trailers. It's almost like Nintendo new approach to E3.

One common theme I did like is they kept saying dedicated servers which is a far cry from the old XBox Live.

Every Halo campaign, and multiplayer, in 1080p 60FPS for $59.99 is nothing special?

Ya'll serious?

I'm so tired of HD collections. The number of them these days is a real reflection of how shitty and unimaginative the videogame industry is at this point. Not that the Halo collection will be bad, but to sell a 10 year old game as a highlight of your console is a damn shame. I fear Sony will do the same thing with The Last of Us on PS4.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
Phantom Dust, Halo Collection Ori and Sunset are solid. I'm just super stoked they showed games this year. Hope everybody else follows suit.

Top Bottom