• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2014 Pokémon World Championships | Washington, DC | August 15th-17th | Twitch Stream

tookhster

This kid has been playing Pokemon for 3 years and just won a world championship. I've been playing since '98 and haven't gotten shit.

Wanace

This kid has been playing Pokemon for 3 years and just won a world championship. I've been playing since '98 and haven't gotten shit.
Haha me too! I've probably put 1000+ hours in since red/blue. I've got 300 hours in Y. Of course I'm employed again now so my dreams of being world champ are dead.

Watching some of this has gotten me interested in finally getting around to making a doubles team in X. Anyone know anywhere I can find more about good doubles strategies?

Wanace

Watching some of this has gotten me interested in finally getting around to making a doubles team in X. Anyone know anywhere I can find more about good doubles strategies?
You can look on sites like Nugget Bridge or Smogon.

If you want to look at a good Pokedex Serebii has the most up to date and useful site I find.

Find some Pokemon you like and train them. That's how I started before I got into trying to make a really competitive team.

You can look on sites like Nugget Bridge or Smogon.

If you want to look at a good Pokedex Serebii has the most up to date and useful site I find.

Find some Pokemon you like and train them. That's how I started before I got into trying to make a really competitive team.

I know about Smogon and Serebii, but I feel like they focus way more on singles and that makes good doubles stuff hard to find

I know about Smogon and Serebii, but I feel like they focus way more on singles and that makes good doubles stuff hard to find

Nugget Bridge is probably the best place to go for VGC

(but it's not like singles knowledge doesn't transfer over, knowing about the game in general helps a lot)

(but it's not like singles knowledge doesn't transfer over, knowing about the game in general helps a lot)

I'm sure. I've played a bit of singles, but a bunch of my pokemon on my singles team won't translate well to doubles (For instance I imagine stuff like scolipede that can be useful in singles wouldn't work well in doubles)

MicH

I just immersed myself into competetive doubles earlier this year and it was amazingly fun. I now like doubles much more than singles.

On the contrary, we do not :)
I was referring more to Smogon. Serebii just has less strategies in general since you do them in the pokemon of the week format, which means a lot of info is either not available quickly or outdated. I do love your site for the pokedex and news and such though

Wanace

I just immersed myself into competetive doubles earlier this year and it was amazingly fun. I now like doubles much more than singles.
Yep me too. I was always a singles battle guy before. I decided to go to nationals to compete for the first time ever so I needed to come up with a doubles team. Now I vastly prefer it.

Wanace

i feel like there should be a pokemon team building thread where we can bounce ideas around
Come to gaming community and join the Pokemon x y thread. Although there's really not much battle discussion there. Mostly stories of event Pokemon for some reason.

Come to gaming community and join the Pokemon x y thread. Although there's really not much battle discussion there. Mostly stories of event Pokemon for some reason.

yeah I've been in there a few times. the people are cool but not much battle discussion.

I'm thinking more of a thread purely for competitive team building/play

JoeM86

yeah, Serebii just has neither

*laughs*

Living dangerously, my friend :p
I was referring more to Smogon. Serebii just has less strategies in general since you do them in the pokemon of the week format, which means a lot of info is either not available quickly or outdated. I do love your site for the pokedex and news and such though

Ah, well I am working on an initiative to improve competitive aspects on the site, so watch this space :)

Hall of fame entered 0 times. Makes me wonder if the US player has this file just for the silly trainer name and other misc things.

Nugget Bridge, Eggy Emporium, certain blogs are the places to go, yeah. NB's forums are a good resource for trading and online tourneys, but using forums for actual advice can get sketchy pretty quickly if you don't know who's legit and who's questionable. So on that front you're best off reading team reports and the like and going from there.

Firemind

Smogon now has Doubles tags in their strategy dex. The whole thing has improved a lot.

Top Bottom