• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2015 Hobonichi Techo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ludovico

You can always slot any A5 or A6 notebook into a Hobonichi cover and fauxbonichi it up.

You should be crazy happy with the thread, or at least moderately satisfied.
I ordered mine a few months ago, and after frantically trying to track it down
order one international package and the whole post office loses its mind
I finally started writing in it the first of December.
Haven't missed a day yet, I use it as a general daily debriefing, motivation for the next day, and just general musings before bed.
I was using a LAMY fountain pen with a fine tip which was way too heavy. Switched to extra fine which was a definite improvement, but the ink still takes forever to dry. I'm not one to blow on my books in public, but I might have to resort to doing so at this rate.

I'm using the smaller, Japanese version. Two reasons:
1 - it was marginally cheaper
2 - I thought it would be a great motivation to learn some Japanese
Bad decision in retrospect, but hey, live and learn.

Aside from the Techo, I'm trying to set up a pocket sized Moleskine as a bullet journal.
Bullet Journal, Bagels. Look into it.

I basically want two separate writing spaces - one for solid to-do lists, and the other for much more free writing and journal-ling.
I'll try to write in the Techo consistently because
1 - I actually like writing
2 - it was on the pricey side
3 - it's a journal with an expiration date. C'mon...

I'll try and post pics of my setup as soon as possible. Collecting random papers and stuff in it would be cool
and I've still got my Interstellar ticket stub from last week sitting on the counter
, but I'm not sure how much stuff you can realistically add without messing up the binding...

Bagels

You got Moxie, kid!
You should be crazy happy with the thread, or at least moderately satisfied.
I ordered mine a few months ago, and after frantically trying to track it down
order one international package and the whole post office loses its mind
I finally started writing in it the first of December.
Haven't missed a day yet, I use it as a general daily debriefing, motivation for the next day, and just general musings before bed.
I was using a LAMY fountain pen with a fine tip which was way too heavy. Switched to extra fine which was a definite improvement, but the ink still takes forever to dry. I'm not one to blow on my books in public, but I might have to resort to doing so at this rate.

I'm using the smaller, Japanese version. Two reasons:
1 - it was marginally cheaper
2 - I thought it would be a great motivation to learn some Japanese
Bad decision in retrospect, but hey, live and learn.

Aside from the Techo, I'm trying to set up a pocket sized Moleskine as a bullet journal.
Bullet Journal, Bagels. Look into it.

I basically want two separate writing spaces - one for solid to-do lists, and the other for much more free writing and journal-ling.
I'll try to write in the Techo consistently because
1 - I actually like writing
2 - it was on the pricey side
3 - it's a journal with an expiration date. C'mon...

I'll try and post pics of my setup as soon as possible. Collecting random papers and stuff in it would be cool
and I've still got my Interstellar ticket stub from last week sitting on the counter
, but I'm not sure how much stuff you can realistically add without messing up the binding...

Please. I already keep track of every round of ammo I shoot off. Almost every round.

Most of them.

So yeah. Already got me a bullet journal. (I'll look it up)

Glad to hear you're getting some use out of it! I have to admit that the higher price point also motivates me to use it more. I'll probably end up using it like you do - sort of as a light journal for general musing and stuff.

I linked to a slim A6 notebook you could tuck in with your Hobonichi cover near the end of the OP. I'll almost certainly pick up more of the A5 size for my own Hobonichi so I have room for longer form stuff.

Seeing people buy Hobonichis as gifts, I'm tempted to pick two up for my parents. My mom travels a lot and my dad likes keeping notes on the birds that visit our feeders. I think they'd get a lot of use out of some Hobonichis...

Metaroo

So I just ordered two of these, and I feel a bit uneasy about what I put on the address line. How specific should we get here? Should I have included things like zip code, state, city etc. ? Or just a straight up street address?

entremet

So I just ordered two of these, and I feel a bit uneasy about what I put on the address line. How specific should we get here? Should I have included things like zip code, state, city etc. ? Or just a straight up street address?

That's for shipping. Why are you uneasy? You've never ordered anything online? Be as specific as possible.

Metaroo

I've only ordered stuff from the states (Amazon, the occasional eBay), and the shipping information just had "address" on it. Went back and filled it in with more detail just now though!

entremet

I've only ordered stuff from the states (Amazon, the occasional eBay), and the shipping information just had "address" on it. Went back and filled it in with more detail just now though!

Yeah. It's a roughly translated website from Japanese. Japanese websites don't tend to have the itemized sections you're talking about.

Question about this actually.

I was putting a pen through the lock area on my cover and I got some ink on the inside flap. ANy idea how to get it to come out? Or am I fucked?

Jme

I misread the title as "hoboniche techno" and thought it was going to be a sub-genre of techno that fills some sort of niche for hobos. Finding out it was for a Japanese day planner literally ruined my entire day. Add that to your stupid planner. "Ruined some guy's day."

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey
That Tomoe River paper thoughhhhhhhh

Hmm, looks like if I wanted to keep the Tomoe River paper I could always spring for the Seven Seas Writer and pair it up with the one Cousin color I like. Might stick with my usual Midori Stitched A5 since it's less expensive, but it also has less than half the page count. Figured those might be of use to someone like me who likes the covers but isn't much of a planning person.

Bagels

You got Moxie, kid!
I misread the title as "hoboniche techno" and thought it was going to be a sub-genre of techno that fills some sort of niche for hobos. Finding out it was for a Japanese day planner literally ruined my entire day. Add that to your stupid planner. "Ruined some guy's day."

JOKqDYT.jpg

My day is complete!

Ludovico

This guy gets it.

I liked the idea of having an insert in addition to the journal itself, all modular-like, but even the smallest thing I had on hand was too thick for the rest of the sleeve to properly close. I also need the extra to-do list to be on hand at all times, whereas for the Techo I'm just returning to it at the end of the day. So I think I'm just going to keep it separate for now.

The Techo sleeve I got does have plenty of pockets. Would have been nice using the enclosed leather one, but I wasn't swinging 300 bucks on a fancy diary cover.
Maybe one day...

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey
Another q. What kind of pen does everyone recommend. Every thing I use bleeds

What you're seeing is most likely ghosting/seethrough. If it were bleeding, it'd look more like this:

Instead of this:

Due to the extremely thin nature of the paper, you'll be seeing plenty of ghosting. For some people this can be an issue, it's really a matter of personal taste. To reduce instances, you could always try a Japanese fine point nib rather than broader, and pick inks that are less dark overall. I use a Pilot Stargazer M with Iroshizuku Kiri-same on my Midori MD notebook and it's reduced the visibility of the ghosting tenfold from my darker inks. And that's on a nib that's a bit wetter and broader than competing Japanese M nibs.

I found out over the weekend that I've met the person who does the translating for the Techo a few times in life. Kind of crazy.

Looking forward to using my 2015 for all sorts of goofy things.

What you're seeing is most likely ghosting/seethrough. If it were bleeding, it'd look more like this:

Instead of this:

Due to the extremely thin nature of the paper, you'll be seeing plenty of ghosting. For some people this can be an issue, it's really a matter of personal taste. To reduce instances, you could always try a Japanese fine point nib rather than broader, and pick inks that are less dark overall. I use a Pilot Stargazer M with Iroshizuku Kiri-same on my Midori MD notebook and it's reduced the visibility of the ghosting tenfold from my darker inks. And that's on a nib that's a bit wetter and broader than competing Japanese M nibs.

Nah is bleeding. The ink smudges and gets on the opposite page

I really should bite the bullet and get one of these. I've been eyeing them for a few years now and I've always thought they were lovely. Just my fear of actually using it enough stops me.

fuckin bagels does it again. good shit. I always wanted a day planner, but I never really liked the options they have here especially since they don't have enough room.

otapnam

I really should bite the bullet and get one of these. I've been eyeing them for a few years now and I've always thought they were lovely. Just my fear of actually using it enough stops me.

22+15 shipped to us..... rather get a moleskin with soft cover (which im about to do)

Empty

used this in 2013 and 2014. my 2015 one came today.

it's totally brilliant.

they need to make an english cousin. i like the size more but a techo without the daily quotes (in a language i understand) is nothing.

Bagels

You got Moxie, kid!
Nah is bleeding. The ink smudges and gets on the opposite page

I use medium or italic nibs on my pens and I'm only seeing the light ghosting I showed. Are you using a really inky pen, or really watery ink? Even my inkiest pen doesn't bleed through, so I'm not sure what the deal is.

Rain some guzi's dazi?

My penmanship has won awards, dammit.

22+15 shipped to us..... rather get a moleskin with soft cover (which im about to do)

If you're going to spend money on a decent notebook, at least go Rhodia Webnotebook or something! Moleskines are crimes against paper.

used this in 2013 and 2014. my 2015 one came today.

it's totally brilliant.

they need to make an english cousin. i like the size more but a techo without the daily quotes (in a language i understand) is nothing.

Not having the quotes is killing me just a tiny bit. I really want the larger form factor but not getting Itoi quotes is a real bummer.

Almost bought one the other day.

Couldn't justify almost 50$ for it tho. :(

The price is the big downside, yeah. For me, the fact that it was a bit of an investment, and the overall super high quality, pleasing, feel, encourages me to actually get more use out of it. You have to have interest going in, obviously, or it is a waste. The case and planner are just both so pleasing to me that I can actually see myself keeping it close by and using it a bunch. That's worth it to me, but I know that's all a bit much for most people. Who's to say who's right?

Me. I'm right.

daydream

Banned
I've been using day planners that dedicate one full page to every day for years, there's tons of them out there. This doesn't seem like the revolution the OP is making it out to be but it still seems pretty neat. Might get one for 2016.

Thanks for another interesting thread, Bagels!

I wanna make a sweet homemade cover but I don't know where I'd start. I figure there's like a whole tumblr I'm not finding for it or something.

Dennis

Banned
Fuck you OP, now I need this in my life to feel whole.

As a scientist I am constantly jotting down things I need to do during a day as well as visually outline experiments.

Can I get a discount? I am trying to find a cure for cancer dammit!

Bagels

You got Moxie, kid!
I'm about to get this ... no cover, no nothing...

It's called "Hobonichi Planner Book English"

The covers are too expensive... 30,000 yen + lol

Edit: I will just make this for the case instead :D

Haha! That's a definite cost savings!

I guess the website screwed up by putting that row of leather cases right up top. People see those prices and close the window. You want to look at the *next* section of cases:

I've been using day planners that dedicate one full page to every day for years, there's tons of them out there. This doesn't seem like the revolution the OP is making it out to be but it still seems pretty neat. Might get one for 2016.

Thanks for another interesting thread, Bagels!

I don't want to claim that sticking a year's worth of paper together is a revolutionary idea, but I haven't run across a planner with this combination of form-factor, paper quality, and all the little design touches that makes the Hobonichi products so pleasing to thumb through. I was wondering if people might drop by with alternate paper planner picks.

Mussah92

Thanks bagels, i thought the Japanese A6 and the english A6's covers wern't compatible with each other for some reason -_-'

Bagels

You got Moxie, kid!
Shh, he doesn't know that!

But I don't have the English Techo to compare mine to! I have to squint at the Japanese squiggly writing and imagine what they say!

Thanks bagels, i thought the Japanese A6 and the english A6's covers wern't compatible with each other for some reason -_-'

They could stand to be a bit clearer about that. Honestly, we're all lucky the whole thing is English now. You can find lots of guides online to navigating the old, all-Japanese, website. It used to be far easier to blow a bunch of yen you don't have on expensive cases.

I know I've seen some homemade Hobonichi cases. There are quite a few tumblrs devoted to Hobonichis and fauxbonichis. The cheapest cases still have so many great pockets and stuff that people usually fake the planner book part and use official covers.

Try searching for "A6 (or A5 for the Cousin) notebook covers."

It looks like Moleskine now makes a daily planner. They want $23.50, and then you're stuck with their bullshit paper, but that has to be easier to find outside of Japan.

Moleskine makes cases now, but they're almost all for tablets and phones. Here's a $50 notebook case:

Not impressed.

daydream

Banned
I don't want to claim that sticking a year's worth of paper together is a revolutionary idea, but I haven't run across a planner with this combination of form-factor, paper quality, and all the little design touches that makes the Hobonichi products so pleasing to thumb through. I was wondering if people might drop by with alternate paper planner picks.

Fair enough! As someone who pays attention to the little things when it comes to picking a day planner, I definitely get that the devil is in the details. I look forward to getting my hands on one next year (I literally picked up a "normal" 2015 one a few days ago, haha). Maybe I'll combine it with one of the fancy pens you recommended. :p

LayLa

I got one this time last year and made a fake diary, it's been fun making up ludicrous lies about who I am and what I'm up to every day. Don't have a plan for 2015 yet :/

peakish

So that OP isn't the only one posting pictures: Crappy phone pictures!

14120004hmd6k.jpg

Besides filling the regular monthly calendar I use this page to keep track of how many hours I'm working every day, 2 hours per square.

14120005chio1.jpg

I hope that this is an easy enough method to continue using so that I'll end up with a good overview of much time I spend at work. This past week has been pretty tiring.

Bagels

You got Moxie, kid!
In Japanese culture, if you buy a product, it's considered polite to direct a 10% finder's fee to the person who told you about that product. You don't need to look that up. I have the source right here: ファイナルファンタジ

I look forward to receiving your checks.

--------

Thanks for the photos and the excellent idea, peakish! It's sort of Ubisoft meets day planners...

shoplifter

Damn you, Bagels.

Grabbed an A6 Japanese with the Mother 2 cover since it was available today. I always have trouble staying organized, and even though I keep my calendar electronically, I think I'm just the kind of person that *needs* to write things down in order to remember them. Simply typing them into something isn't enough.

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey
Just ordered the Cousin sized Coastal Blue case as a little Christmas present to myself.

Your check is in the mail, Bagels. You one man stationary-selling machine, you.

Zoe

I see that last year they offered a spring edition of the Japanese version. Is that something they do every year?

Damn you, Bagels.

Grabbed an A6 Japanese with the Mother 2 cover since it was available today. I always have trouble staying organized, and even though I keep my calendar electronically, I think I'm just the kind of person that *needs* to write things down in order to remember them. Simply typing them into something isn't enough.
The MOTHER 2 cover doesn't seem like something that would usually be my style (as I'd usually get something more muted and "classic"), but I went for it as well. Doesn't hurt that their covers are usually limited edition and reusable.

I honestly prefer the format and color schemes used in the Japanese version of the techo, as well, although I'd rather have had the black cover than the cream/yellow one. The redesigned format for the English edition looks more...standard, somehow, like something I'd see in other planners.

I just wish it would ship before the end of December. I want it now!

(And sorry, Bagels, but the Moleskine has been my go-to planner up to this point because I'd pick up some of the limited edition ones when they went for $1-3 a few months down the line. I'd never pay full price for them, though.)

Bagels

You got Moxie, kid!
Just ordered the Cousin sized Coastal Blue case as a little Christmas present to myself.

Your check is in the mail, Bagels. You one man stationary-selling machine, you.

You held out for like 2 full days! I'm proud of your resolve and I'm proud of you for caving so we can be Hobonichi buddies!

I see that last year they offered a spring edition of the Japanese version. Is that something they do every year?

Yup! It goes on sale in February.

I know way too much about this thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom