• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2015 Hobonichi Techo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bagels

You got Moxie, kid!
Here is my 2015 planner. Bought it two months ago. Now I can finally start using it.
http://imgur.com/hCwPj1H
As I said earlier, that cover is the sashiko weave cover. I think it looks cool
http://m.imgur.com/LBtLbs9

I accidentally got ink on the inside cover. Best way to remove it without damaging the leather?

Very nice! I'm sorry - I have no idea how to clean leather. I looked around online and saw recommendations for products like this. The reviews are mixed, probably owing to differences in the leather people are using it on? Might be worth a try?

My wife's dad runs a carpet cleaning business. Let me ask him how he gets ink out of leather couches and stuff.

Item Box

Well, you've somehow convinced me to get one of these. It'll be interesting to see how different my year will go if I manage to keep track of every day.

The cover that I wanted won't ship until late january...so I guess I would have to wait on both the cover and the book to ship at the same time?

Mussah92

Mine just arrived ... its much smaller than i thought lol and i also regret not getting a Case.

But, this will help me to be more organised.. and i can do doodles etc lol

Qblivion

This seems neat, but I don't actually do anything except go to class and sit at home playing video games.

Maybe if I wrote it down I would realize how lame that is and do something different?

doubt it :p

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey
Christmas present came about a week early. Peeled it out of the box for a few glamor shots, back it goes until next week though~

i1VAM4I74xCzb.jpg

iSN9m00GCBeru.jpg

Bagels

You got Moxie, kid!
Is it bad that I'm already eyeing another cover? I shouldn't have looked at that tumblr oh god.

Right? How is this stuff so oddly addictive? Like I'm looking at the new Field Notes "Ambition" notebooks and I'm jonesing for them pretty bad, despite having enough pocket notebooks for the next several years. But look at these gilded edges (and the gilding is done in my new home of Indianapolis! How can I not support that?)!

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey
Right? How is this stuff so oddly addictive? Like I'm looking at the new Field Notes "Ambition" notebooks and I'm jonesing for them pretty bad, despite having enough pocket notebooks for the next several years. But look at these gilded edges (and the gilding is done in my new home of Indianapolis! How can I not support that?)!

Yeah, the Ambition edition really caught my eye with the gilded edges and the nicely textured covers. Shame the paper is so poor with fountain pens! Someone over at Field Notes needs to step it up!

EDIT: God damn it, now I'm seriously staring at the Cousin planner and thinking about picking one up in January when I have the money. Fuck youuuuuu.

Bagels

You got Moxie, kid!
Yeah, the Ambition edition really caught my eye with the gilded edges and the nicely textured covers. Shame the paper is so poor with fountain pens! Someone over at Field Notes needs to step it up!

The special editions get special paper! These have "Cougar Opaque 50# “Natural White” text-weight vellum printed in “Double Knee Duck Canvas” ink," which I will commit to memory so I can annoy people with my pretentiousness.

I'll let you know if it's any good. I just ordered some.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
*Thinks about getting one*

*Remembers I'm left handed and have poor handwriting*

Not for me I guess.

Today is the last day before the techo begins. I want to take a moment to talk about my old planner.

It wasn't a good planner but it was my first. Only cost me 2 dollars. Had month calenders and week pages. You had to fill in the dates.

It taught me the value of planning

Today is the last day before the techo begins. I want to take a moment to talk about my old planner.

It wasn't a good planner but it was my first. Only cost me 2 dollars. Had month calenders and week pages. You had to fill in the dates.

It taught me the value of planning
Thanks for the reminder. I couldn't remember when it started.

Ludovico

*checks Techo*

Hmm, my first full page is December 31st. I have the smaller one - Japanese "original".
Not that I haven't been using it consistently (haven't missed a day since Dec. 1), but I'll be glad to not have to cram writing anymore.

Also, the nerd part of me really wants to weigh the journal January first, and see how the weight fluctuates throughout the year.

ink mass, moisture, wear and tear....
Omg, what a dumb idea.

Trying to convince my girlfriend to get me one for christmas is turning into an issue. "You already have a calendar in your phone and I'm sure there is a planner app you can get". IT'S NOT THE SAME DAMMIT.

Grimalkin

Trying to convince my girlfriend to get me one for christmas is turning into an issue. "You already have a calendar in your phone and I'm sure there is a planner app you can get". IT'S NOT THE SAME DAMMIT.

Just buy one. She doesn't want to get you one and you're going to be disappointed when you don't get it. So just get one and save the holiday!

Grimalkin

For those using fountain pens with their Hobonichi do you prefer medium or fine nibs? I'm going to get one of these but I can't decide on size. Normally I would go for the medium but with how small the planner is the fine nib would give me more space to write. Any thoughts are greatly appreciated.

For those using fountain pens with their Hobonichi do you prefer medium or fine nibs? I'm going to get one of these but I can't decide on size. Normally I would go for the medium but with how small the planner is the fine nib would give me more space to write. Any thoughts are greatly appreciated.

I use a finer nib. Bagels knows more than me and will tell you a not fine most likely :p

It just helps me write better and save space.

entremet

What was that, a mere 3-4 days for shipping? I wonder what the odds are that I'd get mine before the 25th (if it's shipping at the end of December)...

You better share pictures.

Yeah. It was pretty quick. I threw away the packaging lol.

Dennis posted pics.

Ludovico

Bold vs fine lines is going to be mainly preference - I've usually stuck with thicker lines for the majority of my writing, but now that I've started transitioning into fp's, I find that thinner lines dry faster and have less chance of smearing.
The cool thing about nibs is they're interchangeable (for the most part), so I have two Lamy's, I'll have two Pilot Metro's, I'll have..... oh, my poor wallet... :/

Dennis' cousin sized leather case
Speaking of wallets!
Looking good, Dennis. Welcome aboard!

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey

If you're going for the regular Hobonichi, I might recommend the fine (or extra fine, see below) just to prevent things from getting too cramped. However, I find that nib size is really a matter of preference for ink shading and writing style. Some people just write too small for a medium nib, so the loops in their "e" become more of a solid blob than a half circle enclosure. The Hobonichi planner uses Tomoe River paper, so while this isn't exactly straight from the planner, I've made a sample of the difference on my Seven Seas Writer (which uses the same paper).

icSeTgoV2qkyc.JPG

Excuse the shoddy chicken scratch. The paper really loves fountain pens, so you get a smooth and well presented line regardless of nib size. Keep in mind that Pilot pens are Japanese sizes, so the nib you're looking at would be a size larger than this example. The Medium you'd pick would be a Broad for Japan, the fine you'd pick would be a Medium for Japan, Extra-fine would be a Japanese Fine.

You make stationary look as sexy as PC games. Lovely cover!

Here's my Cousin cover, protecting my Seven Seas Writer notebook, along with my other Christmas gifts:

iXVD2kMuECTZQ.JPG

ib1KzFk2BPnbrW.JPG

Depending on how much Christmas money I have come in from family, I might be able to grab a planner before January gets too far in.

Just saw this thread and I wanted to thank you for making it!

I was recently thinking about getting back into journaling, but didn't do really any research on journals, pen's etc., so this is great.
Any recommendations on a good pen? Fountain pen and/or ball pen advice would be nice. I'm located in Japan, so if possible anything available here would be great. I guess I will pick up the Hobonichi Techo 2015, both for me and my wife after work later today. Yodobashi Hakata and Maruzen Hakata are both very close to the place I work, so I'm kinda excited to see what they've got. Especially my wife would benefit from a journal for her work.

I decided to put Christmas money towards one of these so we'll see how it goes. Since it's going to be late anyways (orders not processing till after the 6th) I went ahead and purchased the Mother cover to go with it.

Just curious, has anyone spotted any samples of someone using a Pilot High Tec C? I love those pens... would be an extra bonus if they work well.

Sesuadra

Unconfirmed Member
Still wish I could afford one, really, big christmas wish. did not get one from my family ^^" to expensive.
Wanted the A6 Original one in japanese with the Leather TS Black ^^" or the normal Black Cover.
Maybe 2016

My mom just ordered one for me for Christmas. Just got the English planner. Conversion rate to USD total was ~$35.

jealous but happy for you :D

Bagels

You got Moxie, kid!
I decided to put Christmas money towards one of these so we'll see how it goes. Since it's going to be late anyways (orders not processing till after the 6th) I went ahead and purchased the Mother cover to go with it.

Just curious, has anyone spotted any samples of someone using a Pilot High Tec C? I love those pens... would be an extra bonus if they work well.

I haven't seen anything about that particular pen, but it should work just fine. If paper is good enough for fountain pen, you basically don't have to worry.

ZetaEpyon

This thread inspired me to give one of these a shot, so I ordered the English planner with a navy blue cover, which arrived on Christmas Eve.

Today I picked up a Cross fountain pen on sale for pretty cheap to go with it. Haven't used a fountain pen before, but it just seemed right, so what the heck!

Kientin

I ordered and got the cousin a couple of months ago. It was worth the wait when I started using it this month. :D I've needed a good planner for so long, and it works so well with my fountain pen. Also I don't have to worry about space at all with all the room I have, even on the half pages it gives me for this December. Love it.

Kadux

Neo Member
Goddamnit...after seeing this, I became interested in calligraphy, fountain pens and you people just pushed me into buying the techo cousin+cover and a pilot fountain pen+ink. Cost me a pretty penny!

I wanna spend less time in front of the computer and this appealed to the child in me. I loved writing and drawing but stopped doing it for no reason. Will get it in mid january :)

hitsugi

Goddamnit...after seeing this, I became interested in calligraphy, fountain pens and you people just pushed me into buying the techo cousin+cover and a pilot fountain pen+ink. Cost me a pretty penny!

I wanna spend less time in front of the computer and this appealed to the child in me. I loved writing and drawing but stopped doing it for no reason. Will get it in mid january :)

On the plus side, conversion against the yen should be pretty strong right now :D

...but yeah I wish I had ordered in time to start the new year off with one

Kadux

Neo Member
You're right. It was expensive but with the exchange rate as it is now, it was a good deal. I also missed that chance and now will have to wait 2/3 weeks probably. Still can't believe I'm excited over a planner and a pen...

I've been using the past 4 days. I'm keeping track of the food I eat, things I buy, what I've been reading, and tv shows and movies I watch. I won't be buying a case for mine because I like the way it looks just like that plus I carry it around in my bag so it's safe. I did have to put a rubber band around it.

Deft Beck

I've been using the past 4 days. I'm keeping track of the food I eat, things I buy, what I've been reading, and tv shows and movies I watch. I won't be buying a case for mine because I like the way it looks just like that plus I carry it around in my bag so it's safe. I did have to put a rubber band around it.

Who are those characters on the cover?

Scroll to the bottom of the store page. The planner itself is this guy:

owq0kgS.png

Black book on the left.

I'm on the order page on the website, but I'm confused with how I'm supposed to write my address. No line breaks? How do they want me to write it out?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom