• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2015 NBA PLAYOFFS |OT| One man's Smith.. Is another man's treasure.

Into

HYEP!!

Which series will you guys be watching? All?

Ill watch every Dallas vs Houston and Spurs vs Clippers game, mainly because the Dallas Houston series will be fiesty, while i wanna see Spurs eviscerate the Clippers.

Maybe Portland against Memphis will be good. The other games seem too one sided, and i honestly do not want to watch Raptors or Wizards after months of shitty form for both teams.

Into

Russ response to winning the scoring title, so Russ-like

CCrp00CUUAAi9ZE.png

tumblr_miafknnt8g1rkqbego1_400.gif

There is still a part of me that wishes the Bulls got the number 4 seed. Wizards got no heart, and the Hawks have fallen back to earth lately, and got some injuries.

Oh well, who cares! D Rose is hungry now.

And now, i actively root for the Cavs to not make it to the Finals, and if they make it there that they lose to the Spurs/Warriors. May the city of Cleveland never win an NBA ring while Bron Bron is there

There is still a part of me that wishes the Bulls got the number 4 seed. Wizards got no heart, and the Hawks have fallen back to earth lately, and got some injuries.

Oh well, who cares! D Rose is hungry now.

if only eating knees would help them regenerate so that D Rose's hunger is helpful to the bulls in some sort of way

Yep, kinda sucks. Hopefully KD and Russ are healthy and on a mission next season.

Even with the Thunder out, I look forward to the playoffs. Seems fresh and fun. Unless the Spurs end up rolling. >_>

If everyone's healthy at OKC next year, it's gonna be unreal. They did pretty well being out KD and Ibaka.

Piece on Jim Barnett: voice of dub nation- Really great read. I'm glad ownership realized the folly of their ways when they tried to replace JB...(You got the wrong guy...it's Fitz who should be replaced).

An earnest demeanor, endless wealth of hoops knowledge, bushy mustache and spectacles have made Jim a beloved figure in Warriors fandom. His unintentional signature phrase — "Quite frankly" — encapsulates his vibe among Warriors fans: You're watching basketball with your favorite uncle or grandfather, but one who happens to be a tenured professor of basketball.

Warriors fans suffered through season after season of awfulness for most of Jim’s three decades, his voice the soundtrack. He was a rare bright spot during many a crappy year.

When Thompson went for 37 against Sac...
After yet another stunning score from Thompson, Jim rises from his seat. He lifts his arms in incredulity. Fans do the same in the stands behind him. Posed there before them, Jim looks like a conductor, or a cult leader. In some ways, he’s both.

Finally, as the clock ticks down, Jim can't take any more.

"You're on your own,” he tells Fitzgerald. “I've got to take my headset off. I just have to be a fan.

For many fans during those long dark ages, Jim’s TV commentary was one of very few positives. To say it was among the only things that kept Warriors fans around would be an exaggeration — but not one without elements of truth.....
......Jim was the prism through which Warriors fans watching on TV experienced their terrible team. He acknowledges the difficulty of that extended, depressed period for fans. But he says that for him it was a “great opportunity” to “teach the game at a more fundamental level,” without the added promotions and advertisements that accompany a better team’s broadcasts.

Jim insists to this day the planned separation was mutual, but for many observers that notion was hard to take at face value. By some measures, his exit felt symptomatic of a newly successful franchise outgrowing the soulful charm that had offered partial redemption during its leaner years.

Either way, Jim had made peace with his exit — until Warriors fans got involved.

It turns out ol’ Jim Barnett means more to Warriors fans than the franchise originally estimated. As last season wore on and Jim’s final game drew closer, a movement to keep him gained momentum.

The hashtag #KeepJim was tweeted more than 2,000 times last March and April, as fans rallied to stop Jim’s exit, according to data provided by Spredfast. A T-shirt sold by Warriors World paid homage to his signature mustache, glasses and phrase.

A receptionist at Warriors headquarters in Oakland shot Jim a look when he arrived there one day last spring. “I’ve been getting a lot of calls about you,” she said.

Adam Lauridsen, a fan who blogs about the team for the San Jose Mercury News, started the #KeepJim movement with a post on March 23 of last year imploring the team to do just that.

“He has helped raise generations of not only Warriors fanatics, but savvy basketball lovers,” Lauridsen wrote. But perhaps the most touching show of support came below Lauridsen’s post, where fans left more than 200 overwhelmingly supportive comments.

“Watching a Warriors broadcast without Jim is unthinkable,” wrote one fan. “He is like a best friend that knows more than you do. A game without J.B. is like toast without butter.”

Numbers tell part of the story. Viewership for Warriors games on CSN Bay Area is up 16% over last season. Fans clearly favor Jim and the local crew — CSN broadcasts have outperformed their national counterparts by 112% percent for games also carried on ESPN or TNT

So glad he's still here to experience this season. Must be so cathartic for him right now to call each game having sat through 30+ years of such terrible basketball..

HYEP!!

Which series will you guys be watching? All?

Cavs and Celtics, I've followed the Cavs because of Kyrie Irving
Blue Devil
and will watch them basically exclusively in the playoffs. If they get knocked out, I doubt I watch any other series.

Playoff prediction: Spurs/Cavs finals, Spurs in 6.

u dont have 2b mad

u can join the cavs bandwagon now

naw, that's ok. heat lifer and MIA raised, been watching the heat since the Zo and Timmy days and have been posting in NBAgaf on and off since the heat lost to ATL in the playoffs back in the pre-lebron days.

dude was great for us but he also went about stuff in a crappy way at the end. Hope he and Cleveland don't get a ring unless he's some sort of crappy 6th man benchwarmer and past his prime.

Into

Rondo has no excuse not to play well, his entire sales pitch is that he "plays well in the playoffs", and Beverly is out.

His stock has fallen so much, i do not believe any team will give him a max unless he performs in a major way in the playoffs. Not even the desperate Lakers will pay this guy max, and i dont see Dallas doing it either.

naw, that's ok. heat lifer and MIA raised, been watching the heat since the Zo and Timmy days and have been posting in NBAgaf on and off since the heat lost to ATL in the playoffs back in the pre-lebron days.

dude was great for us but he also went about stuff in a crappy way at the end. Hope he and Cleveland don't get a ring unless he's some sort of crappy 6th man benchwarmer and past his prime.

Freedom = $1.05 = Mike Ryan

otapnam

Piece on Jim Barnett: voice of dub nation- Really great read. I'm glad ownership realized the folly of their ways when they tried to replace JB...(You got the wrong guy...it's Fitz who should be replaced).

So glad he's still here to experience this season. Must be so cathartic for him right now to call each game having sat through 30+ years of such terrible basketball..

The national broadcasts are always garbage. Even league pass with most other teams commentators pale in comparison to the warriors broadcast team.

Fjordson

Totally agreed. JB is awesome.

dream

Go 14-1 after getting Blake back and we're rewarded with the Spurs. So unbelievably, unfathomably unfair. Fuck.

I've gone into it before so i wont get into it again but I don't care much for how he left the heat and also think that how Cleveland fans took him back in was/is pathetic.

All sports fans are pathetic in one way or another. Miami was no better than cleveland and Lebron was no worse than when he went to Miami.

Fjordson

I'm a little torn on the Clips / Spurs series. Clippers are an awful organization, but them somehow beating the Spurs would really open it up in the West. Guess I'll reluctantly cheer for the Clips (though I expect San Antonio to win it).

Go 14-1 after getting Blake back and we're rewarded with the Spurs. So unbelievably, unfathomably unfair. Fuck.
For whatever it's worth, I don't think the Spurs will steamroll them as they did the two times in the playoffs the past couple of years. I expect this to be a much tougher matchup that will go 6 or 7 games.

Fjordson

Spurs aren't that good on the road this year, could make these series tougher for them. And they lost again on the road last night in New Orleans.

ViciousDS

Banned
Bulls - Warriors in the Finals.

Game 7, 3OT. Rose does this again for the game winner.
DRoseGameWinnerVsDubs2.gif

Then I proceed to cry like a fucking baby.

Hella hyped for these playoffs though, seems like its gonna be an amazing one

DRose step back jumper can be a bitch when he gets rolling with that mid range. Killed so many opponents with that move.

dream

I think it would be funnier if Rose crossed Steph over, causing Steph to legitimately break his ankles as he falls, while Rose blows his ACL simultaneously.

Lmao

Doesn't feel great when it happens to you, does it?

I don't think he left cleveland in a good way, either, fwiw. I was happy he came over but i can see that he went about it the wrong way.

I dont want to derail any further, just want to see the cavs fail miserably.

I don't think he left cleveland in a good way, either, fwiw. I was happy he came over but i can see that he went about it the wrong way.

I dont want to derail any further, just want to see the cavs fail miserably.

I think you should absorb some perspective and stop with the whiny shit. You come off as sort of petulant and spoiled. Your young franchise has what? 3 rings now? We don't have any, ever, and no rings of any kind for like 50 years.

If you want to hate someone, pick on some privileged franchise and do so. Go hate on the Yankees or Giants or Lakers Alabama or Notre Dame or some shit. Hating on one of the weakest franchises in one of the least privileged cities in professional sports because a player decided to go home after helping your favorite franchise to rings and multiple Finals appearances is just sort of pathetic and incredibly selfish. Do you, but know that hoping people that rarely ever have anything to celebrate continue to go wanting is what you're ultimately doing and it's just some sad shit to read.

Thanks for that. As a Bay Area resident, I am so thankful we have CSN Bay Area and JB. Now when I watch the dubs on national TV it's like the announcers don't know anything about basketball (in comparison to JB). I always prefer the CSN broadcast, even though their cameras are way shittier than TNT/ESPN.

I think you should absorb some perspective and stop with the whiny shit. You come off as sort of petulant and spoiled. Your young franchise has what? 3 rings now? We don't have any, ever, and no rings of any kind for like 50 years.

If you want to hate someone, pick on some privileged franchise and do so. Go hate on the Yankees or Giants or Lakers Alabama or Notre Dame or some shit. Hating on one of the weakest franchises in one of the least privileged cities in professional sports because a player decided to go home after helping your favorite franchise to rings and multiple Finals appearances is just sort of pathetic and incredibly selfish. Do you, but know that hoping people that rarely ever have anything to celebrate continue to go wanting is what you're ultimately doing and it's just some sad shit to read.

Why can't i criticize lebron and cavs fans without you being bothered? I have my reasons, my reasoning is sound and rational, and getting on your high horse to call me sad and selfish is pretty dumb because being selfish is what fans are regarding the success of their own teams.

Plus, Lebron needed miami as much as miami needed lebron. He didn't and couldnt get those rings on his own and he broke cleveland to get his rings. the real sad thing here is cleveland fans rallying behind a dude who left you. it's some battered wife shit some of those fans have. Show some spine and at least root for your team and not for Lebron's PR machine, fooling you into thinking he went back home instead of him wanting to play with younger players to help him get more rings and leveraging this coming-home nonsense to sell people more sneakers.

i didn't want to derail but i had to say something

Fjordson

Battered wife lol. Who cares. Fans want to win. Lebron helps them win, so they're gonna cheer for him. All that other shit is bunk.

The crazy expectation that LeBron should have handled this most recent free agency differently is fascinating. He owed Miami nothing. Further, he can't tell them "so long and thanks for all the fish" too early, because until "the letter" is published, he has every right to change his mind and he can't afford for the Miami option to be gone. If Cleveland missteps (the Gilbert meeting goes poorly, they refuse to deal for Love, anything) or if his family vetoes the return, where do you think he'd rather play? "He should have told Miami sooner." No the heck he shouldn't have. You take your options off the table when you no longer need them, and not a moment before.

sure, he didn't owe the team anything.

surely he could've won those rings back in cleveland, not entirely sure why he didn't have the decency to not leave that team hanging now that i think about it.

now that i think about it, his biggest mistake was leaving cleveland because he could've had 4 rings in the last few years instead of two. wonder what he was thinking, seems like a serious miscalculation on his end.

sure, he didn't owe the team anything.

surely he could've won those rings back in cleveland, not entirely sure why he didn't have the decency to not leave that team hanging now that i think about it.

now that i think about it, his biggest mistake was leaving cleveland because he could've had 4 rings in the last few years instead of two. wonder what he was thinking, seems like a serious miscalculation on his end.

Dude, that's a two way street and you know it. Miami doesn't win those 2 titles without LeBron. He had a contract that gave him an early out provision. He fulfilled that contract. He owed Miami nothing, and he absolutely cannot tell them he's leaving until he's actually gone. From your earlier posts, you want to believe that he sabotaged them, and that's some bitter aluminum-foil-hat level nonsense, but hey, if it helps you trudge through your fandom, so be it. It's frankly easier to believe that his return to Cleveland was fluid, not certain until it actually happened. If that's the case, then telling Riley in June or whenever you would have preferred that he was leaving would have been incredibly premature, because until that letter is published, he's entirely within his right to decide to stick with Miami.

Besides, in the alternate reality that LeBron knew for certain that he was going back to Cleveland immediately after the finals, what would Miami have done differently? Who would they have signed? I can't remember the free agency class, but I don't recall any other big fish except for Melo. Do you really want some of that? I think Miami did quite well, both during free agency and afterwards. I mean, honestly, it could have been far worse, wouldn't you agree? As it stands, if everyone is healthy next year, they're a top 3 or 4 team in the east, are they not?

Ether of truth. Freedom go to Tibet and cry yourself to meditation until you repent

Into

The Starters posted their NBA Preview, if you are interested

Ive kinda stopped listening to them, too much "jokes" (which mostly sucks and relies on Leigh's aussie accent) and too little basketball. I might give it a listen see if its improved

Top Bottom