• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2016-2017 NCAA Men's Basketball |OT| Villanova has no fans so this is their thread

D

Deleted member 12837

Unconfirmed Member
Jesus it didn't take long for ESPN to turn this into a thing. They're salivating.

Are players not allowed to keep their balance now? This was way more obviously unintentional than the shit that happened last year.

D

Deleted member 12837

Unconfirmed Member
Don't think our roster is very balanced. Too many good wing players.

I don't think that's it. Jefferson/Giles/Bolden/Jeter is a pretty deep set of bigs, too.

We're about 2-3 months behind everyone else right now when it comes to conditioning and gelling. Duke fans are used to our teams being more than ready in day 1, so this is an unusual feeling.

I don't think that's it. Jefferson/Giles/Bolden/Jeter is a pretty deep set of bigs, too.

We're about 2-3 months behind everyone else right now when it comes to conditioning and gelling. Duke fans are used to our teams being more than ready in day 1, so this is an unusual feeling.

Yep.

These might as well be our exhibition games right now.

Except you have Tennessee State, a great defensive team full of seniors, and Elon, a team that can shoot the lights out. Not the normal Div II champions.

Ultimately, I think some guys let their expectations for this team get out of whack. They heard the "40-0" talk and bought in knowing full well that that's not how college ball works. Duke won't lose this game but they'll take at least 3 or 4 losses in conference play and that's fine. It's all building towards March.

Matt NorlanderVerified account
‏@MattNorlander
Jay Williams just said on ESPN that Grayson Allen “should be suspended for five games.”

Someone go make sure Jay's transcript didn't say University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill

Tacko Fall dominating this season so far. UCF up 29 over BCU.

Couple of stumbles for UCF since losing their starting PG, but they're coming around without him. And hopefully he'll be back for conference play. On their way to 9-3 on the season.

Edit: Wins 71-41

iamblades

These refs have ruined this game.

Atmosphere spooked them and they started calling all kinds of ticky tack bullshit in the second half, on both sides, so not biased one way or the other.

Stephen Schramm
‏@stephenschramm
“Everybody, they’re not bought in. ... They’re not all the way consumed in winning. Everybody’s not consumed in just being one." - Kennard.

Well this is interesting

Grayson Allen is the most hated man in college basketball and Luke Kennard is sending subliminals over the media.

Decent time to be a Duke fan

Proelite

Stephen Schramm
‏@stephenschramm
“Everybody, they’re not bought in. ... They’re not all the way consumed in winning. Everybody’s not consumed in just being one." - Kennard.

Well this is interesting

Grayson Allen is the most hated man in college basketball and Luke Kennard is sending subliminals over the media.

Decent time to be a Duke fan

WIP.

Fundamental makeup of the team is broken. No PG. No center yet.

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
I was at the game, that was not Allen trying to keep his balance, he was totally tripping that Elon player. He waited until the guard started to go behind him when he stuck his leg out and he was not falling. A lot of Duke fans there thought the technical was just and I'm glad he got it. Lil scrappy honestly cost the team more points than he scored. I don't know why he did it, other than he was having a sorry night and decided to lash out or some shit. Last year didn't really matter, this year does.

Duke's current problem is they have no inside game at all. Its either iso or pass around and jack a three. Is Kobe somewhere on the bench as a coach? K doesn't have a rotation figured out at all, and I'm starting to wonder whats up with Bolden. Giles needs more time on the floor, just to see a shot go through. I though he played fine given the number of minutes and he hasn't played in 15 months until monday.

I feel good about Amile, Tatum, Kennard, Jones and Jackson for the most part. Allen forces to much shit and when is offense struggles, he doesn't try on defense. Giles needs time, I think Jeter and Vrank should get minutes EVERY game like Marshall did his last two years. I don't know about the rest of the team. Give Jack White a chance.

Seems like Allen should be suspended for his own good. Plenty of emotional basketball players that don't resort to tripping players. Suspension and an order to get some therapy. 3 times tripping?

Saw a great comment, btw, saying he's wondering why he hasn't been called a thug yet.

D

Deleted member 12837

Unconfirmed Member
I was at the game, that was not Allen trying to keep his balance, he was totally tripping that Elon player. He waited until the guard started to go behind him when he stuck his leg out and he was not falling.

If someone knocks you hard through one shoulder (or grabs your arm and runs with it), you don't have to be falling in order to need to spin. You're not going to leave that foot planted on the floor. Unless you were on the floor in front of the play, I don't think you had a better angle than anyone watching from home. Agree to disagree, I suppose. If it was intentional, I don't think he reacts as intensely as he does, nor would he vocalize thinking it's a BS call.

It's easy to just vilify him (much like when G smashed Psycho T in the face), but I prefer to give these kids the benefit of the doubt. Especially someone with Grayson's demeanor off the court.

Duke's current problem is they have no inside game at all. Its either iso or pass around and jack a three. Is Kobe somewhere on the bench as a coach? K doesn't have a rotation figured out at all, and I'm starting to wonder whats up with Bolden. Giles needs more time on the floor, just to see a shot go through. I though he played fine given the number of minutes and he hasn't played in 15 months until monday.

Duke hasn't had an inside game in a while, with the exception of 2015 with Okafor. Amile is a great passer in the post, and is very good at getting open for a dish and wide open dunk when our guards drive in. Giles and Bolden need to take some major steps forward though, that's for sure.

Proelite

If someone knocks you hard through one shoulder (or grabs your arm and runs with it), you don't have to be falling in order to need to spin. You're not going to leave that foot planted on the floor. Unless you were on the floor in front of the play, I don't think you had a better angle than anyone watching from home. Agree to disagree, I suppose. If it was intentional, I don't think he reacts as intensely as he does, nor would he vocalize thinking it's a BS call.

It's easy to just vilify him (much like when G smashed Psycho T in the face), but I prefer to give these kids the benefit of the doubt. Especially someone with Grayson's demeanor off the court.

Duke hasn't had an inside game in a while, with the exception of 2015 with Okafor. Amile is a great passer in the post, and is very good at getting open for a dish and wide open dunk when our guards drive in. Giles and Bolden need to take some major steps forward though, that's for sure.

Marshall Plumlee was legit last year. WTF u smoking.

This is what I think Luke was trying to say

Duke Basketball
‏@dukebasketball
"We realized in the first half that we were just really all trying to score"—Jayson Tatum:

Said in a way that sounds less....confrontational.

truly101

I got grudge sucked!

Except Marshall Plumlee had a pretty good year last year, not to mention Mason's 2013 season. Duke has had good big men when they have the talent. Right now they have Amile who is a rich man's Lance Thomas, but he doesn't even have a Zoubek to compliment the post or help defensively.
As far as Allen's tripping goes, he was grabbing the Elon player by the arm which was the reason for the initial foul call. As the guard drives to the basket Allen spins outside from the bench to the baseline before coming back around and both feet are on the ground when the spin is stopping. Allen then picks up his left leg and sticks behind him in the path of the guard. Given the direction he spun and where he ended up facing, his leg going in that direction was not helping him maintain balance. It was 100% intentional.

Z_Y

Jesus it didn't take long for ESPN to turn this into a thing. They're salivating.

Are players not allowed to keep their balance now? This was way more obviously unintentional than the shit that happened last year.

Dude...

https://youtu.be/rgQUPUMx5yk

Just...no...

superman-dad-death-reaction-Kevin-Costner-1387241798Q.gif

D

Deleted member 12837

Unconfirmed Member
Except Marshall Plumlee had a pretty good year last year, not to mention Mason's 2013 season. Duke has had good big men when they have the talent. Right now they have Amile who is a rich man's Lance Thomas, but he doesn't even have a Zoubek to compliment the post or help defensively.

Amile isn't half the perimeter defender that Lance was, but he's a better post defender IMO. Marshall could defend and rebound quite well, but let's not pretend he had any kind of low-post moves.

As far as Allen's tripping goes, he was grabbing the Elon player by the arm which was the reason for the initial foul call. As the guard drives to the basket Allen spins outside from the bench to the baseline before coming back around and both feet are on the ground when the spin is stopping. Allen then picks up his left leg and sticks behind him in the path of the guard. Given the direction he spun and where he ended up facing, his leg going in that direction was not helping him maintain balance. It was 100% intentional.

Huh? It's his right leg. His right arm is hooked with the Elon player and it pulls him clockwise. Right leg goes up as he spins and falls backwards. He's up on his tiptoes on his left leg, which doesn't exactly scream balanced. Seriously, ask someone to hook your right arm as they run past you and see what your leg does.

Allen copped to it in the locker room. He said he meant to do it (and was ashamed).

Well yeah, what else was he going to say? Taking the blame and apologizing is the quickest way to make it go away. "I made a really bad play. I'm sorry to him, Santa Ana. I'm sorry to the officials who had to call that. I'm sorry to my team. It was selfish and taking away from them. I'm not proud of that at all." is not "I meant to do it".

Kevtones

You can't be for real? Right? Physics reasons? Jesus.

Even Grayson copped to it just as he did two the other two times he decided to be a dirty player:

"I made a really bad play. I'm sorry to him, Santa Ana," said Allen, a junior. "I'm sorry to the officials who had to call that. I'm sorry to my team. It was selfish and taking away from them. I'm not proud of that at all."

Z_Y

Huh? It's his right leg. His right arm is hooked with the Elon player and it pulls him clockwise. Right leg goes up as he spins and falls backwards. He's up on his tiptoes on his left leg, which doesn't exactly scream balanced. Seriously, ask someone to hook your right arm as they run past you and see what your leg does.

Well yeah, what else was he going to say? Taking the blame and apologizing is the quickest way to make it go away. "I made a really bad play. I'm sorry to him, Santa Ana. I'm sorry to the officials who had to call that. I'm sorry to my team. It was selfish and taking away from them. I'm not proud of that at all." is not "I meant to do it".

Shew.

D

Deleted member 12837

Unconfirmed Member
You can't be for real? Right? Physics reasons? Jesus.

I graduating 7 years ago. I've never met Grayson. I have absolutely no bias or incentive to defend him disingenuously. I'm not even trying to change anyone's mind. I'm just describing what I, and the rest of the room that I was watching with, saw ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ . I'm fairly confident that if you swap in any other player on any other team, that Elon guard is still going to end up getting tripped on that play.

If you feel like you need to continue expressing disbelief at that, feel free to continue via PM. I know this thread as slow these days, but I have no interest in filling it with frame-by-frame Youtube video dissection.

Z_Y

I graduating 7 years ago. I've never met Grayson. I have absolutely no bias or incentive to defend him disingenuously. I'm not even trying to change anyone's mind. I'm just describing what I, and the rest of the room that I was watching with, saw ¯_(ツ)_/¯ . I'm fairly confident that if you swap in any other player on any other team, that Elon guard is still going to end up getting tripped on that play.

If you feel like you need to continue expressing disbelief at that, feel free to continue via PM. I know this thread as slow these days, but I have no interest in filling it with frame-by-frame Youtube video dissection.

Oh come on.

Kevtones

Jeez, you have to be a troll.

Anyway, after his first two blatant trippings:

"I think ultimately, I just made a mistake -- two mistakes -- and they were big ones and mistakes I regret," Allen said to ESPN. "Ultimately, I let my emotions get the most of me -- in the heat of the moment, you know, did something that's unacceptable and not something I'm proud of. I think I'm a lot more mature now."

404's no troll. He saw it a different way. However, if Allen is copping to it, then I say go with that.

Anyway, we saw the quote from Kennard earlier, so might as well get more of it from Kennard in Fayetteville Observer's write-up.

http://www.fayobserver.com/sports/c...cle_0ab829c4-c7f9-11e6-9752-0f5a35a2cefc.html

"These last two games, we struggled in all sorts of aspects of the game," Kennard said. "I just don't think we're a very unselfish team right now. And that's both offensively and defensively. We've just got to figure out who we're going to be."

"Everybody … they're not bought in," Kennard said. "… They're not all the way consumed in winning. Everybody's not consumed in just being one. It's not in a bad way at all. I'm just saying, in our minds, some of us have, we just want to be inside of ourselves. Especially when we hit adversity, we want to try to take over the game or we want to try and make the big play and sometimes it's not the right play. It's happened constantly throughout these past couple games."

"We've got to get our minds right," Kennard said. "We've got to figure out who were going to be as a group. When we come back, it's ACC play and ACC play is no joke. We've got to be ready to go."

"We're going to figure it out," Kennard said as the cluster of media around Allen began to disperse. "We will. We've hit a little bump in the road. But that's what great teams are made of. We'll find a way to pull through."

Allen has a history of being a dirty player. Similar to Dreymon Green in the NBA kicking people, Allen likes to trip people on purpose. He's a product of entitled Duke basketball player culture.

Is he trying to be Laimbeer?

smh

On another note, this Western Michigan team can be a sleeper team if they make March Madness. Their record doesn't show it but they've played some legit schools

Proelite

Allen has a history of being a dirty player. Similar to Dreymon Green in the NBA kicking people, Allen likes to trip people on purpose. He's a product of entitled Duke basketball player culture.

What does this even mean? The Duke bball team gets every opponent's best shot every game. Every team is deserving of their record.

Personally I would do one game just to try to see if it works. If K wants to try another potentially more effective way he can stop Grayson from losing his cool on the court because he knows him better then that's obviously the choice that the program will go with.

I am rather liking the outrage and extra hate. I don't think the team can thrive without an overdose of hate.

truly101

I got grudge sucked!

lol, Grayson Allen is the product of Grayson Allen and lets not pretend there aren't guys on other teams that elbow, trip, undercut and other general bullshittery, but they'll never get called out for it because their jersey doesn't say DUKE and the nation as a whole does not care about them. You're fooling yourself if you don't think ESPN and other media outlets aren't perpetuating this idea that Duke is evil and gets away with shit, because they do and it gets the average viewer to watch a sport they don;t care about anymore. ESPN has put up polls on their website on which Duke player is your most hated, twice. They've never done that for any other team, in any other sport to my knowledge, so yeah, they have an agenda. Its also been proven by stats that no, Duke does not get all the calls, no more or less than the other successful blueblood programs in CBB, so if there is some secret cabal enabling Duke, they are enabling UK, KU, UNC, UCLA, IU Lville and all the other big college programs. This idea that, well all the controversial calls go Dukes way is simply confirmation bias, as they've had a bunch go against them too. Its complete horseshit but its more entertaining to believe in the lie.
Again, I think Allen should be suspended, because its bullshit and needs to stop. And maybe K will have to rotate in other players.

D

Deleted member 12837

Unconfirmed Member
Anyway, we saw the quote from Kennard earlier, so might as well get more of it from Kennard in Fayetteville Observer's write-up.

http://www.fayobserver.com/sports/c...cle_0ab829c4-c7f9-11e6-9752-0f5a35a2cefc.html

I can't figure out if he's taking shots at Grayson or Tatum here. Grayson has obviously been struggling between the injury and not being the #1A/B option on offense anymore like he was with Ingram last year. Add pressure to perform well to improve his draft stock when he could've just left over the summer, and you have a recipe for some selfish behavior that might be bubbling up in practice in addition to games.

Tatum really kept us alive in the 1st half, but when he gets the ball it's pretty obvious he's going to shoot it or take it to the basket. His shot selection is pretty poor (7-22? eek), especially when you have much more efficient guys around you like Luke and (normally) Grayson.

Oh, Coach K has a previously scheduled appearance on the Dan Patrick Show tomorrow. Expect this to come up.

Coack K claimed he didn't see it... Didn't see Allen's reaction on the bench because he was dealing with officials (apparently the coaches failed to mention dude was unstable) and then said he didn't see the trip until after the game. He'll miss the VT game and they'll hope it all blows over until the next time.

Fjordson

Whether Allen meant to do it or not is irrelevant. He's tripping people lol.

It's like Draymond Green's leg flailing in the NBA. Even if he's not trying to hurt someone, when he connects with another player he should be penalized for it.

No one would be talking about this if he was black and played elsewhere.

Being white in basketball is actually not a privilege.
huh.

Proelite

Yep, nobody talks about the shit Draymond Green does...

Intentional tripping is a Flagrant 1 foul and the consequences are well defined. Any post game punishment is set by the program first. Case by case basis.

Intentional kicking people in the balls is flagrant 2. Repeat offence warrants a look by the governing body.

I would also like to see a list of priveledges that white players are getting in b-ball for being white. At Duke it means you're magnet for hate.

Top Bottom