• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2016 Golden Globe Awards Nominations

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pretty happy Rachel Bloom (Crazy Ex-Girlfriend) and Gina Rodriguez (Jane the Virgin) got nominated (in Gina's case, again) but I'm going to be rooting more for Rachel this year since Gina won last year.

Also great to see Mr.Robot's nominations, that was my favorite and arguably best show of the summer.

sono

Of the nominations for the best picture I have only seen The Martian and that was a great film, so it has my vote.

In other news I do not like Ricky to present this, he doesnt have enough of the required level of Gravitas for such awards..

Herbs

Banned
In other news I do not like Ricky to present this, he doesnt have enough of the required level of Gravitas for such awards..

can't tell if serious.

he already hosted it and killed it.

these awards are notoriously relaxed as everyone is dining and drinking so you're wrong.

Koriandrr

wait WTF??????

Jamie Lee Curtis nominated for Scream Queens but not Emma Roberts?!

Chanel Oberlin was the stand out character this season, every scene with her was gold. Emma deserved that nom.

tjpIBzd.gif

this. so much. I feel like they made a huge mistake there.

Also Martian in Comedy seems very odd.

overcast

Goddamn, Louie completely snubbed? Season 5 was brief but just great. "A La Carte", "Bobby's House" and "Untitled" were all brilliant episodes.

Goddamn, Louie completely snubbed? Season 5 was brief but just great. "A La Carte", "Bobby's House" and "Untitled" were all brilliant episodes.

Louie hasn't been any good for a few seasons now.

Not sure why anyone is acting like Golden Globe nominations mean anything though. Personally I just get a kick out of them because they're always so goofy.

overcast

Louie hasn't been any good for a few seasons now.

Not sure why anyone is acting like Golden Globe nominations mean anything though. Personally I just get a kick out of them because they're always so goofy.
Well that's wrong, but I'll agree about nominations ultimately meaning nothing. Still, it's fun to talk about on forums :]

Glad we're seeing a more diverse year in terms of acting/picture split - but the lack of a BP or Direction nod for Creed makes my heart sad.
Additionally, the awards conglomorate has continued on their quest to ignore the existance of The Leftovers and Hannibal.

But overall, a good year of nominations. Smaller preformances (like Shannon in Homes or Vikander in Machina) got some attention, and Mad Max nabbed a deserved spot despite competing in the more crowded Drama category.

nortonff

Hi, I'm nortonff. I spend my life going into threads to say that I don't care about the topic of the thread. It's a really good use of my time.
Mr. Robot is the best series this year. Hope it takes all three awards.
Rami Malek is freaking amazing in the show.

J_Viper

No Jonathan Banks makes me salty as fuck, but cool that Mozart in the Jungle and Gael got some recognition. That show needs more love

Prompto

Banned
Happy for the Mad Max, Mr Robot and Stallone getting nominations. I'd be happy with either Spotlight or Mad Max winning best drama.

Got a good laugh out of Show Me A Hero not getting nominated for Best Miniseries.

Clearly it's not in the same league as AHS: Hotel.
Biggest snub for me.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
I'm loving Saoirse Ronan's awards season momentum, and the recognition Fury Road is getting is a pleasant surprise.

SeanC

Joy?

Really?

Christ...are we sure the HFPA isn't on the take again?

It feels like another "The Tourist" scenario - they nominate to guarantee that Lawrence and Russell will show up.

I love a lot of the other choices though - Ruffalo in Polar Bear is fantastic and I thought would be completely overlooked and seeing Dano nominated is nice because he carries that entire movie. I still feel Jason Mitchell is being looked over way too easily.

The amount of love Mad Max is getting in top 10 lists and with noms makes me think it might actual get nods from the Academy.
Yeah, I'm pleasantly surprised by it as well.

A Best Picture nomination seems pretty likely at this point, though I doubt it has any chance of winning it.

eerik9000

Wait, am I missing something. Why are they doing this? Just to get money to campaign Academy voters? Seems super sketchy.

What's sketchy about it? That's how it works. It is especially important for "smaller" films that don't have a notable American distributor behind them. Having a "presence" in LA and NY, screening the film, talking to people about the film, etc. is massively important.

What's sketchy about it? That's how it works. It is especially important for "smaller" films that don't have a notable American distributor behind them. Having a "presence" in LA and NY, screening the film, talking to people about the film, etc. is massively important.

Maybe it is, but to crowdfund it seems weird to me. Good luck to them though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom