• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2016 Golden Globe Awards Nominations

Status
Not open for further replies.

Geist-

I haven't seen The Revenant yet and I loved Birdman so it could be a contender, but really hoping Fury Road has a shot. Best movie of 2015 for me so far.

My quick look over it seems pretty good, although I haven't seen all of the movies nominated yet.

Best picture category is awesome.

ANDS

King of Gaslighting
How. How the hell does BBT continue to get nominations. This is some head up your ass bullshit honestly.

Same with VEEP really. JLD is not the best thing about that show.

William

Got my fingers crossed for Mr Robot and Silicon Valley.

(although have to remind myself that awards show do not matter and I should not care. Where is Andy Daly and Review!! I do not care...)

Ahiru77

I remember Bryan presenting in January this year. They said "Trumbo's Bryan Cranston", a little too on-point. There wasn't even a trailer out yet.
It was still a ghost in the grapevine.

ibbMd17SApRAG5.gif

So these things really are decided that early.

No Leftovers? Burn it to the ground.

The Leftovers is too good for an award, just like The Wire, which also was never nominated for a Golden Globe.

Before people jump down my throat, I don't mean they are equals. I only mean that shows like these two share a high level of quality, but maybe aren't crowd pleasing enough to entice voters.

Far better movies than the Martian have been nominated as a comedy

And it's apt for the film too, that film has a lot of comedic elements. It ends with freaking stay alive on the credits

Don't get the outrage here lol, happy for mad max and sly noms forreal. George Miller especially needs a best director Oscar nom

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake
hopefully Morricone will get it, thus leading to an Oscar. I think such a prize could do very well for his career

Sylvester Stallone nominated for best supporting actor? Into what alternate dimension have I stumbled upon??? He's been for decades the butt of so many bad acting jokes and even nominated for a fair share of Razzies! I love it took the 7th movie of his best franchise for him to get a best actor nom.

If only Warner Bros. Mexico gave a damn and not make me wait until January to release Creed on theaters I would've seen it already, goddammit.

Monocle

Still just a popularity contest. Where's Hannibal and Eva Green? Why is Game of Thrones up for best drama after such a weak season? At least Mad Max and George Miller got well deserved nods.

I'm kind of OK with Lady Gaga's nom, since she's completely owning her role in American Horror Story. Great presence and a constant delight to watch. Evan Peters' performance is the season's best, though. He finally got a really juicy character to work with, something totally different from his past AHS roles.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
I shouldn't even put thought into this, but if I picked a best actress from Fargo, it definitely would've been Jean Smart. She was pretty intense.

Jigorath

Banned
Still just a popularity contest. Where's Hannibal and Eva Green? Why is Game of Thrones up for best drama after such a weak season? At least Mad Max and George Miller got well deserved nods.

I'm kind of OK with Lady Gaga's nom, since she's completely owning her role in American Horror Story. Great presence and a constant delight to watch. Evan Peters' performance is the season's best, though. He finally got a really juicy character to work with, something totally different from his past AHS roles.

Eva Green got a nomination.

tolkir

My favourites TV Shows of this year are nominated:
Fargo, Mr. Robot and Narcos.

Only I miss a nomination for Show Me a Hero on Best Miniseries or Television Film.

Sylvester Stallone nominated for best supporting actor? Into what alternate dimension have I stumbled upon??? He's been for decades the butt of so many bad acting jokes and even nominated for a fair share of Razzies! I love it took the 7th movie of his best franchise for him to get a best actor nom.

If only Warner Bros. Mexico gave a damn and not make me wait until January to release Creed on theaters I would've seen it already, goddammit.

Rambo, Rocky, Cop Land......he can act when he chooses to.

So strange that I missed that, lol. Damn. Thanks for pointing that out.

Can't blame you for thinking she was overlooked yet again. It's a fucking tragedy people aren't signing praise about her stellar performance on a regular basis. The other nominated actresses are all very good but IMO Eva blows them all out of the water and then some.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
He was nominated for best actor and best screenwriter in 1977, and his movie won best picture.

Viewt

Whoa whoa whoa, have you seen Spotlight? It's no weak link.

Yep, I've seen it. I thought Spotlight was really well-done on a technical level, and everyone turned in a really solid performance, but it doesn't really "ascend" to me, if that makes any sense. I was compelled by it during my viewing, but it really didn't stick with me like other top films this year (Queen of Earth, Beasts of No Nation, Room, Mad Max).

Yep, I've seen it. I thought Spotlight was really well-done on a technical level, and everyone turned in a really solid performance, but it doesn't really "ascend" to me, if that makes any sense. I was compelled by it during my viewing, but it really didn't stick with me like other top films this year (Queen of Earth, Beasts of No Nation, Room, Mad Max).
Well OK then! Glad you responded. It's probably my favorite film of the year but I definitely understand what you're saying!

I haven't seen anything else in the supporting actor category, but coming out of Creed I cannot imagine that anybody else had a better performance than Sly. He was goddamn awesome.

Best Motion Picture, Drama
Carol
Mad Max: Fury Road
The Revenant
Room
Spotlight

Best Motion Picture, Musical or Comedy
The Big Short
Joy
The Martian
Spy
Trainwreck

Best Actor in a Motion Picture — Drama
Bryan Cranston, Trumbo
Leonardo DiCaprio, The Revenant
Michael Fassbender, Steve Jobs
Eddie Redmayne, The Danish Girl
Will Smith, Concussion

Best Actress in a Motion Picture — Drama
Cate Blanchett, Carol
Brie Larson, Room
Rooney Mara, Carol
Saoirse Ronan, Brooklyn
Alicia Vikander, The Danish Girl

Best Actor in a Motion Picture — Musical or Comedy
Christian Bale, The Big Short
Steve Carell, The Big Short
Matt Damon, The Martian
Al Pacino, Danny Collins
Mark Ruffalo, Infinitely Polar Bear

Best Actress in a Motion Picture — Musical or Comedy
Jennifer Lawrence, Joy
Melissa McCarthy, Spy
Amy Schumer, Trainwreck
Maggie Smith, The Lady in the Van
Lily Tomlin, Grandma

Best Supporting Actor in a Motion Picture
Paul Dano, Love & Mercy
Idris Elba, Beasts of No Nation
Mark Rylance, Bridge of Spies
Michael Shannon, 99 Homes
Sylvester Stallone, Creed

Best Supporting Actress in a Motion Picture
Jane Fonda, Youth
Jennifer Jason Leigh, The Hateful Eight
Helen Mirren, Trumbo
Alicia Vikander, The Danish Girl
Kate Winslet, Steve Jobs

Best Director
Todd Haynes, Carol
Alejandro Gonzalez Iñárritu, The Revenant
George Miller, Mad Max: Fury Road
Thomas McCarthy, Spotlight
Ridley Scott, The Martian

Best Screenplay
The Big Short
Room
Spotlight
Steve Jobs
The Hateful Eight

Best Original Score
Carol
The Danish Girl
The Hateful Eight
Steve Jobs
The Revenant

Best Original Song
Love Me Like You Do, Fifty Shades of Grey
One Kind of Love, Love & Mercy
See You Again, Furious 7
Simple Song #3, Youth
Writing’s on the Wall, Spectre

Best Animated Feature Film
Anomalisa
The Good Dinosaur
Inside Out
The Peanuts Movie
Shaun the Sheep Movie

Best Foreign Language Film
The Brand New Testament
The Club
The Fencer
Mustang
Son of Saul
My quick picks. I just ignored TV since I haven't watched any of those. Couldn't even pick the actress categories as I haven't seen any of those movies. I'll try to remedy that by Oscar time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom