• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

28% spiderman and meh...same as GOW...

Humdinger

I'm not sure why people are surprised that, as game budgets baloon, developers and publishers "play it safe" and take fewer risks. Of course they do. Their entire studio and livelihoods could go down the tubes, if they fail to appeal to a wide enough audience to recoup the tens or hundreds of millions of dollars being spent on development and marketing.

That's the nature of the business, at this point -- and it is a business.

INC

You nailed the word. It's "safe". That's what Sony's 1st party has become. Too much budget money on the line for anything but.

Did you not see the controversy with tlou2? Not very save
Gow completely changed its gameplay, hardly 'saved'
HZD was a massive risk for GG

Spiderman is 100% by the numbers tho

GHG

Now you see why those that prefer Xbox prefer Xbox.

Can't have people talking about exclusive games not meeting their expectations if you don't release any exclusive games.

giphy.gif

A.Romero

Did you not see the controversy with tlou2? Not very save
Gow completely changed its gameplay, hardly 'saved'
HZD was a massive risk for GG

Spiderman is 100% by the numbers tho

They might be safe (or not) but innovation is not supposed to be found in the AAA space. At least not gameplay innovation.

That comes from smaller games. Mechanics get polished and if they are adopted and successful then they become part of the AAA space. For example Battle Royale took a few years in the mod scene before it got into the mass market where everyone and their mothers started producing a game with those mechanics. This is a necessity because where BR was taken by the market, many other mechanics are not.

Personally I think it's fine. As a gamer with a limited budget, I don't want to toss a coin worth $70 USD to see if I like what they are doing. I want a safe investment too, knowing what to expect. On the other hand, I'm more than willing to try different things for $20 or even $30.

The only people disappointed with this system are the ones that either play nothing outside of the AAA space and therefore are not aware of innovation and people that get burnt playing something for 250 hours and then jump onto something else within the same genre. Of course is going to feel samey.

Reactions: GHG
Can't have people talking about exclusive games not meeting their expectations if you don't release any exclusive games.

giphy.gif
Xbox could release 10 Exclusives tomorrow and a certain subset of the community will be like " Where are the games". lol. Its a mental disease.

Last edited:

GHG

Xbox could release 10 Exclusives tomorrow and a certain subset of the community will be like " Where are the games". lol. Its a mental disease.

Based on the information we have at the moment they are about to launch a console without any first party exclusive, it's hardly a mental disease when it's a fact.

When they start consistently releasing games that can stand toe to to with exclusives that are present on other platforms then maybe they can be part of the discussion.

Last edited:

ethomaz

Banned
That doesn’t change MS barely launched games in a very long time...

The talk about tomorrow turned out a meme because that tomorrow never happens.

Last edited:

PapyDoc

But now there as today is mostly none and the few of them launched earlier were not great.
You want to talk about how Sunset Overdrive was disappointing ? Forza ? Rise ? State of Decay ? The shity Open Wrld game with Terry Crew in it ? (can't even remember the title)

Last edited:

ethomaz

Banned
Based on the information we have at the moment they are about to launch a console without any first party exclusive, it's hardly a mental disease when it's a fact.

When they start consistently releasing games that can stand toe to to with exclusives that are present on other platforms then maybe they can be part of the discussion.
Xbox fans lives the forever Phil talk.

Top Bottom