• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

28% spiderman and meh...same as GOW...

Krisprolls

Banned
Not played spiderman yet because it looks like a standard open world game but with a superhero twist, need to be in the mood for an open world game when I get round to buying it.

However GOW 2018 is Goat tier so not sure what that's got to do with anything. The combat in that game was sensational.

Yes, I can understand OP feels Spiderman is sometimes a bid bland (it's a bit better than a standard open world game, but nothing extraordinary either, side quests and stealth missions are sometimes boring), but God of War PS4 is definitely a masterpiece in every way.

Last edited:

Evil Calvin

Afraid of Boobs
GOW threw out the entire formula they had built on for over a decade. What is safe about that?
No I get it. There is some good stuff out there but it is a reboot and there will be less taking chances and fewer of those big games going forward. I mean look at all of the AAA releases in 2019 and 2020. Almost all are sequels, reboots, remasters. Ghosts of Tsushima is the only game this year that is AAA that falls outside of that group.

kretos

Banned
No i want more blockbusters, don't care about games like Motorstorm or Warhawk

giphy.gif

Krisprolls

Banned
God of War 4 was also meh

What a strange hot take. It was meh but you liked it so maybe it wasn't that meh.

God of War PS4 won most of game of the year awards beating RDR 2 for good reasons.

If GoW PS4 is meh, then every game is too because it has everything from great gameplay and combat, great world, great story, great characters, graphics, sound, music... One of the best games I've ever played, and I started gaming 40 years ago.

To each his own I guess...

Last edited:
Hi,

I'm a PlayStation guy (check my post history if you doubt).
There were several people here that repeated during several years that sony's first party output was declining due to many games looking too samey.
I dismissed most of those rants.
After all, i loved gow3, the last of us and a few others..
Now i'm playing spiderman. The game is highly polished and many good things but it's... Tedious, boring. Like the current output of pixar for movies: some kind of tasteless game.
It happened to me first with GOW 2018. High production values but so so far of the adrenalyne pumping fight against hades or poseidon in gow3. Boring in a way.
And now spiderman. I'm at 28%: it looks like a clone of a random game with a NYC skin.

I miss the sony that greenlighted motorstorm pacific rift and warhawk.

I loved the last guardian but it was a highly delayed game that i'm not sure would be greenlighted today.

I'm afraid ps5 will continue this trend...

That was my rant. Hope sony takes some gambles with future games as it's the essence of their past success.
I understand what do you mean, but citing commercial failures like pacific rift (a great game) or big mismanaged projects like TLG like essence of past success is rewriting history.
Don't be sad, it's fine to be bored. 10 years ago we were different persons, things change and life changes.
You can be sure that games will evolve, change and adapt in the meantime.
PlayStation in the next 10 years will change a lot like everyone else.
Just like you miss motostorm and warhawk, you can find people who were sad about that strategy and missing the sony that greenlighted dark cloud, alundra, ape escape and medievil. You are getting old my friend, old enough to see the changes around you and missing those old moments, old things and maybe that period of your life when things seemed warmer and beautiful.
Welcome to the club.

Last edited:

Banned
No i want more blockbusters, don't care about games like Motorstorm or Warhawk

giphy.gif

everyone who doesn't appreciate MotorStorm, especially Pacific Rift, should be considered an Über Pleb from now on!

I HEREBY ANNOUNCE THAT YOU SHALL BE AN ÜBER PLEB FROM NOW UNTIL ETERNITY!

What a stupid hot take. It was meh but you liked it so maybe it wasn't that meh.

God of War PS4 won most of game of the year awards beating RDR 2 for good reasons.

If GoW PS4 is meh, then every game is too because it has everything from great gameplay and combat, great world, great story, great characters, graphics, sound, music... One of the best games I've ever played, and I started gaming 40 years ago.

#1 - it's a stupid way to think that if a game got rated well or got many awards that it is therefore a great game... this site literally bashes game critics on a daily basis yet once it is time to defend their favorite game they get used to support their fanboyism... fucking hilarious.

#2 - I strictly separate games I like and games I think are good/great. Exhibit A: Crackdown 3, a game I love and simultaneously a game I would give maybe a 6/10 and that's only on PC at 60fps played on Mouse and Keyboard. on XBox at 30fps and with the absolutely horrible controller layout that you can not change it would be a 4/10... yet I love it and I have no issue looking at games like that. EDF5, another game I would rate pretty low but love and recently completed in coop with a friend... fucking brilliant fun that game, but it has so many issues that I can't call it a great game... if I would reccomment the game to people I would warn them about all the shitty stuff first but then explain why I still saw past that and ended up loving it.

Last edited:

kretos

Banned
everyone who doesn't appreciate MotorStorm, especially Pacific Rift, should be considered an Über Pleb from now on!

I HEREBY ANNOUNCE THAT YOU SHALL BE AN ÜBER PLEB FROM NOW UNTIL ETERNITY!

what are the chances that Sony will make a new one anyway?

HandmadeInfiniteCottontail-size_restricted.gif

diffusionx

Gold Member
I really don’t see what people see in God of War, I thought it was a perfectly fine action adventure with good graphics. I don’t see what is special about it outside of the no camera cut gimmick, but that’s a gimmick.

Spiderman is a fun open world game and looks amazing (possibly best looking PS4 game, with HZD). They come verrrry close to delving into typical Ubishit territory but have enough variety in the side quests and moving around the city is fun enough that it just turns out to be a great game. I think it’s excellent. I too miss the Sony of the PS3 days.

Last edited:

bender

What time is it?
I never really liked God of War as it's traditionally been all style over substance, the PS4 iteration does a much better job of balancing that out. Spiderman is a pretty run of the mill open world/modern action game. It just has the benefit of nailing the swinging mechanic, telling a good story and the suit/power abilities really help carry the combat. It's also a much smaller open world and less bogged down than the typically offerings we see from Ubisoft. I enjoyed them both over most of Sony's blockbuster offerings this generation save for the likes of Bloodborne, Until Dawn, TLG and SOTC.

Krisprolls

Banned
#1 - it's a stupid way to think that if a game got rated well or got many awards that it is therefore a great game... this site literally bashes game critics on a daily basis yet once it is time to defend their favorite game they get used to support their fanboyism... fucking hilarious.

On #1 : It's not a stupid way at all. That's the only way we have actually. How many people liked or disliked, what they thought about the game. Or do you think your opinion is worth more ? It's not.

We know Picasso or Van Gogh is great because... tons of people (critics and non critics) thought what he made was great. There we are, he just had a good rating on Metacritic.

There's no "objective" evaluation of art (or gaming, if you think that's not art), therefore critics and reviews (including ours) are all we have. You have one vote, I have one too, nothing more...

God of War was rated as a masterpiece and game of the year by a lot of people. I understand you disagree. It's okay, but it's still considered as a masterpiece.

I'm definitely not among those who bash critics, it would make no sense. Which doesn't mean I always agree with them, obviously.

Last edited:

AGRacing

I couldn't get into Spider man...

Got deeper into GOW but didn't complete it (I've revisited twice so I may come back.. )

This generation
I completed :

Knack
Killzone Shadowfall
Infamous Second Son
The Order 1886
Horizon Zero Dawn

I dropped

Days Gone
Spiderman
Last of US 2

Still playing

FFVII Remake
Ghost of Tsushima
GOW (when I get around to it)

Banned
I couldn't get into Spider man...

Got deeper into GOW but didn't complete it (I've revisited twice so I may come back.. )

This generation
I completed :

Knack
Killzone Shadowfall
Infamous Second Son
The Order 1886
Horizon Zero Dawn

well that's a very roundabout way to say that you have terrible taste 😝

Spider-Man is extremely repetitive and fleshed out with weak busy work content. I am a sucker for those open world games though, so I still got the plat. It helps that the movement is so cool and the narrative is decent, but as a whole I found it pretty meh as well.

Spider-Man is extremely repetitive and fleshed out with weak busy work content. I am a sucker for those open world games though, so I still got the plat. It helps that the movement is so cool and the narrative is decent, but as a whole I found it pretty meh as well.

Eh, I dunno. I kinda disagree because I think the boss battles were really well done. The Scorpion/Rhino fight, Vulture and Doc Oc battles were pretty great spectacles that were fun.

Hestar69

Sony's been killing it this gen IMO. Xbox first party This gen has sucked bad compared to sony and Nintendo. One thing I do love about xbox is game pass. Which, I dunno how they make money off it,but keep putting great games on it that I can play. I got a membership thru 2022!

CitizenX

Banned
Not played spiderman yet because it looks like a standard open world game but with a superhero twist, need to be in the mood for an open world game when I get round to buying it.

However GOW 2018 is Goat tier so not sure what that's got to do with anything. The combat in that game was sensational.

Err, while GOW is fantastic in so many ways the same boss encounters and combat that is IMO just OK leaves a lot to desire. The main issues is the FOV simply put, sucks.

Last edited:
Spider-man was good, great in a lot of ways even, but lacking in a lot of ways. I have yet to finish it. GoW I fucking loved to death and am suuuuuper excited to see what comes next with the IP.

GHG

Err, while GOW is fantastic in so many ways the same boss encounters and combat that is IMO just OK leaves a lot to desire. The main issues is the FOV simply put, sucks.

Agree to disagree then. I didn't have a problem with the FOV (the tight over the shoulder view suited what they were going for with the game) and I thoroughly enjoyed the combat throughout the game. Best combat system in a game outside of DS3/Bloodborne this gen for me.

SegaShack

Any time someone has to come out first and say where their allegiance is, you know this thread is gonna be shit
Anyone who is loyal to a videogame company is either a child or a childish adult. If an adult introduced themselves to me as a "Playstation Guy" to me I'd feel bad for them.

Last edited:

Aion002

That happens sometimes, did you try Gravity Rush 2 or Days Gone?

I feel that a lot of the less hyped games from Sony are kinda ignored by some.

Nonetheless, Sony still pushes many types of games, from Dreams to Ghost of Tsushima and from TLU2 to Astro Bot or Death Stranding.

Also, the PS5 already showed different types of games like Destruction All Stars and Returnal that are new and different, maybe those are interesting to you.

Still... If none of those got your attention.... That's too bad.

Last edited:

Imtjnotu

Anyone who is loyal to a videogame company is either a child or a childish adult. If an adult introduced themselves to me as a "Playstation Guy" to me I'd feel bad for them.
Oh so you as an adult don't have any companies you trust and prefer over others? Okay Mr Motorola

LOLCats

Banned
spiderman moving around tedious af, just said F that and moved on with my life. besides the character was stupid

GreyHorace

I liked Spider-Man. But for some reason I've no desire to play it again.

Again, I think Insomniac did a remarkable job and made a game that's equal or even surpasses Rocksteady's Batman Arkham series in some ways. The gameplay is solid from the web swinging to the combat (those stealth sections with Mary Jane and Miles though can go burn in hell for all I care). And I think it's the best representation of the character in media, even better than any of the cartoons or the movies. It's also got a great story that takes cues from a lot of classic Spider-Man stories in the comics.

But like I said, I really don't care to play it again. Even the DLC stories I've not finished because at that point the game just didn't hold my interest.

On the other hand I've finished Sony's other big exclusive, Ghost of Tsushima, about five times in the last month. I can't explain it, but for me it's much more fun to play a samurai than a superhero. Sucker Punch should commended for their efforts.

INC

I liked Spider-Man. But for some reason I've no desire to play it again.

Again, I think Insomniac did a remarkable job and made a game that's equal or even surpasses Rocksteady's Batman Arkham series in some ways. The gameplay is solid from the web swinging to the combat (those stealth sections with Mary Jane and Miles though can go burn in hell for all I care). And I think it's the best representation of the character in media, even better than any of the cartoons or the movies. It's also got a great story that takes cues from a lot of classic Spider-Man stories in the comics.

But like I said, I really don't care to play it again. Even the DLC stories I've not finished because at that point the game just didn't hold my interest.

On the other hand I've finished Sony's other big exclusive, Ghost of Tsushima, about five times in the last month. I can't explain it, but for me it's much more fun to play a samurai than a superhero. Sucker Punch should commended for their efforts.

Nah the 90's cartoon was great, rather watch that, than struggle through the game, it looks great tho. Also into the spiderverse was cool too

If you are not liking Spiderman, then don't even take a look at the Avengers game 🤣 🤣

But yeah, you want more hours of "content"? There you go, collect all the backpacks.
I mean, it isn't a bad game (same as gow), but they have to bake in a ton of filler optionals to justify the kidney-stabbing price that PS games have been costing lately

skneogaf

I have restarted spiderman 4 or 5 times thinking that I want to play it, I even recommended it to someone but I just can't be bothered playing it when I start it.

Bryank75

Banned
GOW, GOT and Spider-man are my top 3 games this generation...

They nailed the movement in Spider-man and the game has a great story with pretty much the most perfect portrayal of Peter in media outside comics.

One or two boss battles needed improvements, it needs an option to replay and remix the bossbattles. The side activities also need work but the main story is pretty great, particularly towards the end.
There's a little too much stealth section stuff too.

For me these 3 games combine high production value, great gameplay, story and pacing to create what I feel is the best blend for gaming (IMO). No microtransactions or nonsense either. I put those 3 studios above ND and Guerrilla.

THEAP99

Banned
Outside of Naughty Dog, polyphony, and japan studio, PlayStation Worldwide Studios is going to have fatigue at some point soon. Good now but not for the long run.

I’ve been playing the hell out of Spidey - took three attempts for it to click, but then it did. That said, if I stop and think about it, web swinging aside which is fun, and the polish on the look, the game itself is very poor. Batman games did this much better.

And whoever decided Screwball should have such a big role should be shot.

I’m trying to finish the Sony exclusives I bought the PS4 Pro for. Had started and abandoned Spidey, Last of Us, Horizon, God of War, Detroit, Days Gone and Persona (not Sony I know) and will try and plough through all of them except Horizon which I passionately hated.

Cannot shake the emperor’s new clothes feeling every time I play one though. Overrated af.

Last edited:
It happened to me first with GOW 2018. High production values but so so far of the adrenalyne pumping fight against hades or poseidon in gow3. Boring in a way.
And now spiderman. I'm at 28%: it looks like a clone of a random game with a NYC skin.
I loved God of War 2018 (not sure if I liked it more or as much as GoW 1 to 3, but I really appreciated my time with it)... So maybe I should give SpiderMan a try! Thanks for the hint!

GreyHorace

Nah the 90's cartoon was great, rather watch that, than struggle through the game, it looks great tho. Also into the spiderverse was cool too

Hey, I liked the 90's cartoon as well. But it's lacking in a lot of the comic violence that Spider-Man is known for because it had to air on strict network censorship (Spidey wasn't allowed to punch people for one). And yes, Into the Spiderverse was cool as fuck and probably my favorite Spidey movie, despite being an adaptation of a storyline I didn't care for (Spiderverse).

The game on the other hand doesn't skimp on the violence and has some of the best takes on Spidey's classic villains (particularly Doctor Octopus). But yeah, some sections of the game are a bit of a slog (the stealth sections with Miles and Mary Jane for one).

• Fire
Reactions: INC

RoboFu

One of the green rats
I like how but I am with ya on Spider-Man. I got about 25% through the game and haven’t touched it since. Too much emphasis on wave beaten up.

sol_bad

OP, if you can avoid the side content try and do so. I personally loved Spider-Man but the side quests were tedious.

As for Gow, did you try upping the difficulty? I found many of the fights very intense and love the first three Gows.

manfestival

I highly enjoyed God of War (2018) my biggest issue with the game is outside of optional Valkyrie fights, it doesn’t have fun and interesting enemies/bosses to fight. This why having great enemy/boss designs is as important as having great combat system.
Same here, and that hurts considering that boss fights were what really made GOW special

Top Bottom