• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2D games with an artstyle you really enjoy (600 baud warning)

CO_Andy

Hg5z9Dk2VR3YwCZZqf_d690ayendFGMZnQvSA082q0iCcChNz5m6gFa1xONcFMS6Z3FUanwAJwm5nw=w251-h220-rw
Nosferatu
bof4-6.png
Breath of Fire 4

That doesn't account for every single screenshot, gif and video of the game on the internet having what appears to be that exact same, somewhat idiosyncratic style of filtering applied to it. It's the "default" for Metal Slug, where for just about any other old game, "raw" screenshots are what you expect to find unless somebody has gone out of their way to apply a filter to it.

Case in point: literally every single other screenshot or gif of an old pixel art game in this thread.

I'm guessing that all the ports of the Metal Slug games have the filter enabled by default. Pretty sure the original arcade version of MS6 had a filter on as well, and that MS7 came with one as well.

I don't know why other older games don't have filters on by default. Maybe their fans really like jaggles.

Lork

I'm guessing that all the ports of the Metal Slug games have the filter enabled by default. Pretty sure the original arcade version of MS6 had a filter on as well, and that MS7 came with one as well.

I don't know why other older games don't have filters on by default. Maybe their fans really like jaggles.
That makes sense I suppose.

As for other games, most of them don't have a modern presence unlike Metal Slug with its wide array of recent ports and sequels, so their "look" is whatever you get when you press the screenshot key on an emulator.

2+2=5

The Amiga Brotherhood
It looks more like this.

40hvQlg.jpg

or

CCriqMwVEAA8baO.png

Which look even better if you zoom out to a more accurate size.

unlike what the second screen says imo the problem aren't indies but those pixel art "purists" that want to see razor shap pixels(and that indies try to make happy), those who lived in the 8/16bit era know that games tried to look as round and cartoony as possible(as it's visible in the screens you posted).

dogen

So in other words no, it didn't have the filter.

Course not.

unlike what the second screen says imo the problem aren't indies but those pixel art "purists" that want to see razor shap pixels(and that indies try to make happy), those who lived in the 8/16bit era know that games tried to look as round and cartoony as possible(as it's visible in the screens you posted).

I think the only problem (and it's a minor one imo) is that every game that uses pixel art doesn't include a decent, toggleable, CRT shader, or at least a scanline filter.

hesido

What grinds my gears, with the pixel art on the high res displays, is when they "rotate" the objects as they are, so that the whole blocks of pixels are at an angle, instead of proper animation. (flappy bird could be given as an immediate example, when the bird takes a nose dive.)

2+2=5

The Amiga Brotherhood
Course not.

I think the only problem (and it's a minor one imo) is that every game that uses pixel art doesn't include a decent, toggleable, CRT shader, or at least a scanline filter.
Adding a shader wouldn't solve anything(but i'm in for more options!), 8/16bit games were made with CRT in mind so they used to take advantage of CRT's features, the same can't be said for indies so the results wouldn't be the same.

What grinds my gears, with the pixel art on the high res displays, is when they "rotate" the objects as they are, so that the whole blocks of pixels are at an angle, instead of proper animation. (flappy bird could be given as an immediate example, when the bird takes a nose dive.)

Yes, things like this:

16044801644_9ae677e362_o.gif

are impressive but not as good looking as more simple but good pixel art imo.

I think MS6 and MS7 used this a bit for the bosses, but it's not too noticeable.

dadjumper

snap016.png

snap006.png

c_l1233349986_0.jpg

Admittedly I haven't really played much of it, but I really really like what Onore no Shinzuru Michi wo Yuke (PSP) went for. It's all based on the Ukiyo-e style of wood block prints, to the point of direct reference (see the skeleton above as a reference to Takiyasha the Witch and the Skeleton Spectre). This is always a fun game to throw into threads like this because it's fairly obscure but also beautiful.

Always love WayForward's animation-quality art on their games:

Shantae - 1/2 Genie Hero

2c2d60e6-dd92-4eb2-b9a3-7c16b6fb4458.png

405459-Mermaid%20boss.jpg

Ducktales Remastered

DuckTales-Remastered-screenshot-2.png

large.jpg

Mighty Switch Force Hyperdrive

large.jpg

MIGHTYSWITCHFORCEHD-26.jpg

laxu

Also almost everything on the amiga because many of its games had a dinstictive artstyle(not really representative but whatever)
AMIGA+01.png

I'm still waiting for someone to bring back the prevalent Amiga style you find in for example Cannon Fodder where everything is pretty high contrast so it looks like shadows are very deep. I remember this looking really nice on CRT displays.

Another thing I would love to see come back is the mid-era Sierra look with a very limited color palette:

Leisure Suit Larry 2
LSL2%200047.jpg

Codename: Iceman
Codename%20-%20ICEMAN_7.png

Police Quest 2
police-quest-2-the-vengeance_24.png

2+2=5

The Amiga Brotherhood
Cosmic Osmo, maybe the greatest game ever made for Mac.

Osmo-1.png

1481668097-852366451.jpg

Osmo-4.png

tumblr_oko1b5RHSn1szw0fro4_540.jpg
This reminded me that i really appreciate macintosh games(It's just 2 colors, black and white, no greys!)
511091-winter-games-macintosh-screenshot-biathlon.gif
492554-battle-chess-macintosh-screenshot-black-and-white-pawns-battle.png
20150707233651_6060d12e.png
DCHall.jpg
dungeon.jpg

(this is how they look on a CRT)
hqdefault.jpg

(and to a lesser extent spectrum games) because they show what talent can do with just 2 colors.

Peltz

itsbeautiful.jpg

Subbing so hard.

Edit:

I was wondering the exact same thing so I did a bit of research. Unfortunately it seems it hasn't released yet, although it was announced back in 2015, hopefully it didn't get stuck in development limbo. It's from the devs of Intrusion 2, which is itself a pretty good and visually impressive game, so let me take advantage of this fact to post some images appropriate to this thread.
16479702450_e0c2b7035f_o.gif

giphy.gif

16044801644_9ae677e362_o.gif

This looks really cool.

Peltz

There's one thing that I've been wondering about for a while now. Your screenshots, like virtually all Metal Slug media out there appear to have some kind of interpolation filter applied to them. Even mame screenshots taken in the original resolution look like they have it. It's so prevalent that when I turn it off in ports/emulators that allow you to do so, the result actually looks "wrong" to me, which is the polar opposite of what my preferences usually are with regard to pixel art.

My question is, does anybody know if this was the original intended look for Metal Slug? It's so universally prevalent that I'm starting to wonder if it was, even though it would be really weird for a game from that time period to apply filtering to itself.
You should check out this thread

http://m.neogaf.com/showthread.php?t=921436

and read up on 240p stuff.

dogen

Adding a shader wouldn't solve anything(but i'm in for more options!), 8/16bit games were made with CRT in mind so they used to take advantage of CRT's features, the same can't be said for indies so the results wouldn't be the same.

I think even if they aren't made with a crt in mind, they'll still look better that way.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Pretty much all of my favourites have been posted already, but I might come up with some more later... Cosmic Star Heroine and Salt & Sanctuary screens incoming

Slain

qavvuji_6b2e.gif

Ori

oriandnaru.gif

Cuphead

cuphead_steamboat_3.0.gif

Owlboy

2SJzUnn.gif
Great taste!

You too. Slain is the fucking coolest looking game ever, I swear.

3 Wonders
54637-Wonder_3_Arcade_Gears_(J)-6.jpg
Wow, I have the Saturn import version of this game! Pretty damn obscure. It was called in a 3-pack game called "Wonders Three" and that particular one was called "Roosters", IIRC. It played kind of like Ghouls N Ghosts but a bit more shooter-like.

Top Bottom