• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

$300 8" tablets: Thin+light, fast web browsing w/Flash, 8-10 hours...and Steam

RayStorm

Yay. I just finished rigging this charger/OTG usb hub for my DVP8.

It's quite baffling to me that there still is no commercially available solution around. It seems like such an easy thing to produce and there certainly seems to be demand for it and yet... nothing.

Would you mind sharing a link or two on how to build one myself?

plainr_

Would you mind sharing a link or two on how to build one myself?

This is the thread I used as a guide. And here is a basic video tutorial on how to build one.

Since the USB hub I bought is different than the ones used in that thread, I didn't necessarily follow a tutorial, just used the links above as a guide. I could also provide a short tutorial specific to the hub I used if you want.

If you don't want to build one, you can preorder the +port from Amazon for $35. Ships sometime in June I think. You'll find more info on this on their Kickstarter page.

RayStorm

This is the thread I used as a guide. And here is a basic video tutorial on how to build one.

Since the USB hub I bought is different than the ones used in that thread, I didn't necessarily follow a tutorial, just used the links above as a guide. I could also provide a short tutorial specific to the hub I used if you want.

Thank you, since I'd probably buy a different hub to either you or the linked threads (which I have not as of yet read), is there anything more general that you could share on how your build differed/what potential pitfalls there are?

plainr_

Thank you, since I'd probably buy a different hub to either you or the linked threads (which I have not as of yet read), is there anything more general that you could share on how your build differed/what potential pitfalls there are?

My setup was a bit different because my hub lacked a switch and the circuit board is rearranged differently. Otherwise the basic wiring is essentially the same for most USB 2.0 hubs I think.

Here's a basic understanding on how all this works to save you some time from going through that gigantic thread over at tabletpcreview.

In order for the DV8P to go into charging mode, it requires a short between both the data lines of the USB. This is where the 1.5k ohm resistor comes in, to temporarily short the data lines for the initial connection. The switch is then used to turn the power on for the USB hub/devices. At this point the resistor is ignored and the DV8P see's the connected USB devices while maintaining its charging mode.

BTW, these are the parts I bought at my local Fry's:
IOGEAR USB 2.0 Hub 6.99
A micro rocker switch 1.99
1.5k OHM 1/4w resistor .99

KamenSenshi

Just to make sure, you're talking about the firmware right or is there a software driver I'm not aware of? All I see is the firmware update on the Dell support site.
Yes, it's the firmware:5830_Firmware_8T9WD_WN_1.0.4.2_A02.EXE. I did grab all of the updates that were available as well.

Saro

I was wondering which tablet to get. I'm torn between the Asus t100 and the Dell venue 8 pro.

On one hand I've seen The Asus t100 run devil may cry and street fighter at 60fps and it has had a refresh. The keyboard looks great too.

On the other hand the Dell Venue 8 pro has a front and a rear facing camera with stylus support but, I am a bit iffy on the size although 8" is a good form factor, I'm worried about how small desktop programs will look like pdfs.

The tablet would be used for classes (pdfs and E-textbooks) /light emulation (gba, snes, and ps1).I have a laptop but it's too big to carry around.

Raide

I was wondering which tablet to get. I'm torn between the Asus t100 and the Dell venue 8 pro.

On one hand I've seen The Asus t100 run devil may cry and street fighter at 60fps and it has had a refresh. The keyboard looks great too.

On the other hand the Dell Venue 8 pro has a front and a rear facing camera with stylus support but, I am a bit iffy on the size although 8" is a good form factor, I'm worried about how small desktop programs will look like pdfs.

The tablet would be used for classes (pdfs and E-textbooks) /light emulation (gba, snes, and ps1).I have a laptop but it's too big to carry around.

I have had the Venue 8 Pro for a few months now and I could not be happier. The 8" screen is a good size but I do wish it was bigger sometimes. Snapping between Windows 8 Metro Apps and full PC programs is really good. Mainly use mine for documents reading and notetaking and I have no issues.

If you have access to MS office, it is also great to have full office on a Tablet if needed.

A few tweaks to the icon size and text size does help make the screen a bit easier to ready and the recent updates that fix the brightness issue makes it more than usable.

The only quirk on the whole system is what plainr_ posted about above. Being able to use USB devices and keep the system charging requires some modding, since the Venue * Pro seems to prefer to do one or the other due to its USB connection does not let you do both without tweaking.

It will play games and most run well but don't expect anything amazing unless you really crank down the graphics settings. Stream Streaming to the device is damn cool though if you already have a gaming PC/Laptop.

Saro

I have had the Venue 8 Pro for a few months now and I could not be happier. The 8" screen is a good size but I do wish it was bigger sometimes. Snapping between Windows 8 Metro Apps and full PC programs is really good. Mainly use mine for documents reading and notetaking and I have no issues.

If you have access to MS office, it is also great to have full office on a Tablet if needed.

A few tweaks to the icon size and text size does help make the screen a bit easier to ready and the recent updates that fix the brightness issue makes it more than usable.

The only quirk on the whole system is what plainr_ posted about above. Being able to use USB devices and keep the system charging requires some modding, since the Venue * Pro seems to prefer to do one or the other due to its USB connection does not let you do both without tweaking.

It will play games and most run well but don't expect anything amazing unless you really crank down the graphics settings. Stream Streaming to the device is damn cool though if you already have a gaming PC/Laptop.

Thanks! I'm gonna order one this weekend :D

wanders

I've been out of the loop on Windows tablets for a while. Is there or has there ever been an 11.6 baytrail tablet/hybrid?

Gf is looking for one.

aaaaa0

I have this, it does that same thing, just FYI to anyone looking
http://www.sears.com/belkin-6-outlet/p-00362144000P

Wut? I don't see how that Belkin thing can fix this?

The Dell dongle is for fixing the problem where the Venue 8 Pro only has one micro USB port, and that port is used both for charging the tablet and connecting USB devices.

In other words, if you want to plug the tablet's charger in, you have nowhere to plug a USB device in. And if you plug a USB device in, you have no where to plug the tablet's charger in.

This dongle makes it so that you have both a charging port on the tablet AND a USB port you can use to plug devices in.

joshschw

Wut? I don't see how that Belkin thing can fix this?

The Dell dongle is for fixing the problem where the Venue 8 Pro only has one micro USB port, and that port is used both for charging the tablet and connecting USB devices.

In other words, if you want to plug the tablet's charger in, you have nowhere to plug a USB device in. And if you plug a USB device in, you have no where to plug the tablet's charger in.

This dongle makes it so that you have both a charging port on the tablet AND a USB port you can use to plug devices in.

Yes. But that Belkin thing does the same thing, it has 2 USB ports, and one charges it and you can plug in USB drive or whatever and the Dell tablet reads it. Don't ask me why lol I have no idea. I realized this while charging the tablet and my Mp3 player and instead of charging, the mp3 player it registered on the tablet.

aaaaa0

Yes. But that Belkin thing does the same thing, it has 2 USB ports, and one charges it and you can plug in USB drive or whatever and the Dell tablet reads it. Don't ask me why lol I have no idea. I realized this while charging the tablet and my Mp3 player and instead of charging, the mp3 player it registered on the tablet.

Holy shit, is that true?! LOL

Melon Husk

No talk about the new Dell touch stylus? Yes, they released another one. Reportedly it functions well and without hitches. It's silvery as the old revisions were black.
edit: That dongle is almost a year late, about to be made obsolete by USB 3.0c, but at least they're listening.

border

Does anyone know where I can find out if the Jackbox Party Pack will work alright on a Windows tablet? Specifically I am using a Dell Venue 8 Pro.

Surely some website or wiki is compiling a list of compatible games.

dLMN8R

Does anyone know where I can find out if the Jackbox Party Pack will work alright on a Windows tablet? Specifically I am using a Dell Venue 8 Pro.

Surely some website or wiki is compiling a list of compatible games.

You mean as a host? Would that really make sense? You'd need to use other phones/tablets to connect to the game while allowing everyone you're playing with to somehow see a small tablet at the same time.

border

You mean as a host? Would that really make sense? You'd need to use other phones/tablets to connect to the game while allowing everyone you're playing with to somehow see a small tablet at the same time.

You would just plug the tablet into a TV's HDMI slot.....thus you now have a portable version of the game that you can take to any party.

Melon Husk

Incredible, there are Chinese Windows+Android tablets with iPad Air screens for $200. The 9.7" one from LG with 2048 x 1533 resolution. Teclast X98 and Onda V919 (well known brand in China) for example. Mid-tier tablets have halved in price and the cheapest 7" tier featuring 16GB internal memory and 1280x800 resolution go for $70 or sometimes less, thanks to Microsoft ditching the license fees from smaller tablets.

Of course ordering from China yourself can be like getting a box of chocolates.

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member
My Dell Venue Pro got its screen shattered today in an unfortunate incident. Buying a new one is probably less expensive than trying to repair it, so I was looking of using this opportunity for an upgrade.

For my surprise and disappointment, after nearly two years of being released, looks like my old device still the best option for the 8 inch from factor. Is this perception correct? :(

Looks like the only interesting device that has been released recently within the scope is the Surface 3, which is bigger and more expensive than the Venue pro at launch but otherwise looks like a decent upgrade. Specially the higher end device for double the RAM, but we are talking about a $500 device...

Is there any other non-crippled tablet I should consider?

aaaaa0

My Dell Venue Pro got its screen shattered today in an unfortunate incident. Buying a new one is probably less expensive than trying to repair it, so I was looking of using this opportunity for an upgrade.

For my surprise and disappointment, after nearly two years of being released, looks like my old device still the best option for the 8 inch from factor. Is this perception correct? :(

Looks like the only interesting device that has been released recently within the scope is the Surface 3, which is bigger and more expensive than the Venue pro at launch but otherwise looks like a decent upgrade. Specially the higher end device for double the RAM, but we are talking about a $500 device...

Is there any other non-crippled tablet I should consider?

These days I carry an HP Stream 8. Its got half the RAM and half the storage of the Venue, but Windows 8.1 runs about as well on it, and the plus is that I get a 4G modem built in, 200 MB of 4G per month on T-Mobile for FREE for LIFE, and it cost me just $150.

$150! I can almost buy 4 for the price of a single iPad mini 3 with cellular modem.

Plus, it's totally unlocked, I've stuck my AT&T SIM and a Canadian Wind Mobile SIM in it, and they both work just fine.

http://www.microsoftstore.com/store...-Signature-Edition-Tablet/productID.308781600

In fact I'm typing this post on it right now. My Venue stays at home mostly these days, because it lacks a cellular modem.

For the price, you can't beat the Winbook TW700. It's a pretty neat piece of hardware - it's essentially the Stream 7, except it's a little bit fatter, and has a bit bigger bezel, but that's compensated for by having a full-sized USB port, which is great.

I've found storage to be a bit of a problem, and the RAM limitations are real if you're doing anything significant. My V8P outperforms the Stream 7 and the Winbook.

But for the price, I don't think it can be beat.

Those ONDA tablets tho.

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member
But the Stream 7 and the Windbook are sidegrades at best (downgrades actually). And I won't consider anything with less than 2GB of RAM. I used the Dell's as an effective laptop replacement with bluetooth m/kb. Dam, I loved the little thing. :(

Aiustis

Started a thread because I couldn't find this one (didn't know it existed)

I need a tablet.

There are far too many tablet options and the more I research, the less certain I am of which one I should get.

Price: 400 USD or less.
Specs: As best as possible for the price range.

Important to me: great battery life and a slot for added storage.

Use: Personal productivity: e.g. reading my text book, typing my notes, web browsing, google hangout

Top Bottom