• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

343 Rescinds Job Offer to Halo Community Member Over Forum Post

Status
Not open for further replies.
Time is a big factor here I think. You made those comments in June bro? Seriously? After already being in the industry or at least anticipating being in the industry?

If those comments were made a few years ago it could be overlooked, but that post is months old.

Does no one here work in a professional setting?

There are company executives who have been terminated for bad mouthing their bosses. It is one of the unspoken professional rules of conduct.

actually i dont think its really unspoken. a lot of companies have this directly written into an employment agreement

Izuna

Banned
The Antitype is currently editing past posts as we speak.

Honestly, criticise the hell out of a product, but not the devs. He got a taste of his own medicine and there's a lesson to learn there.

Regardless, 343 didn't make this decision public, we only know because some random did. It would have been apt to put the offer in review and have him address the post he made, if he was really someone 343 wanted.

Other than that, stop shitting on devs that aren't Hayashit.

Wanderer5

Yeah, when I noticed that I edited my original comment.

He probably applied to the job right around that time which just makes the whole thing super baffling. You'd think he'd know better.

Yeah with how recent that comment is, him applying for a job there is indeed baffling.

You have a problem with a product, attack the product, not the people and their livelihoods. This dude could have gone on and one about how shitty 343 games were and he'd probably be in the clear, especially if he had a clear message around what he could contribute to add value.

lol what a bunch of idiots.

you shouldnt be in this business if you cant take criticism.

Constructive criticism, sure. Criticising real people and the jobs that feeds their families are boundaries you don't cross nor need to.

I don’t think it’s so much so that he wants everyone @343 fired, but that he has zero respect for the company and its employees and thinks he’s above them all.

mjc

Is 343 run by Donald Trump? Seems like some petty shit to fire him at the last minute over an old forum post. Literally everyone in the world at this point has at least one regrettable comment sitting on a forum or blog somewhere on the internet that they hope will never be found. Firing somebody over anything less than hate speech is just stupid.

Talk shit about your employers publicly and see where it gets you.

I'll wait here.

Is 343 run by Donald Trump? Seems like some petty shit to fire him at the last minute over an old forum post. Literally everyone in the world at this point has at least one regrettable comment sitting on a forum or blog somewhere on the internet that they hope will never be found. Firing somebody over anything less than hate speech is just stupid.

Badmouthing your employer is also stupid, and is against nearly every company's rules.

Wireframe

This shouldn't be allowed, especially if a formal offer has been made. I wonder if the guy has any legal recourse, fuck 343.

MUnited83

For you.
If this is how they handle hiring, it goes a long way towards explaining the huge drop on quality the series has suffered since they took over.
Somehow, I think having actual standards and not wanting toxic assholes poisoning your work dynamic is related to any drop in quality whatsoever.

According to you the only fireable offense is hate speech? That's uh, lenient.

This shouldn't be allowed, especially if a formal offer has been made. I wonder if the guy has any legal recourse, fuck 343.

I very much doubt he does.

Gestault

Oh no, someone said something mean about 343! Who cares about his talent and skill right?

And you guys wonder why Halo is in such a poor state. 343 only listens to positive comments and plug their ears for anything bad.

Without getting unfairly personal, you are one of the last people I'd expect to have a useful perspective on any matter relating to Halo or 343i, based on the level of your discourse on the subject here on Gaf.

This is my best attempt to explain why this reaction is sound, regardless of the names or brand behind it.

grizzelye

I'm sure 343 would have let it go if the post he made was a couple years ago, but that comment was made a couple of months back.

But still.. they should have at least spoken to him so that he could explain himself(?)

darthbob

Guy makes personal attacks against other forgers, bad mouths the company he was hiring for, and you people are surprised?

ffs

E92 M3

You need to understand that, especially given the stresses that accompany working in this industry, bringing someone into a team environment that has said divisive and vitriolic things about everyone in the studio THREE MONTHS before getting the job would be crazy.

Much in the same way it wouldn't matter if he had an unnatural talent for AI design but turned out to be a goose-stepping racist on Facebook - that's an exaggeration here, but you can't overlook how these things can affect the team dynamic. Especially given the public nature of his hiring.

In truth it's a bad situation all around. I personally think the guy should just get a chance to own up and get the job, but I have a hard time faulting 343 here.

He could have easily explained himself or clarified that it was a heat of the moment thing. Do you honestly think he wanted everyone fired at 343i? The statement in itself was too ridiculous to take seriously.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
Nightmare fuel situation.

Ridiculous reaction to common internet hyperbole made as a fan rather than as a professional. Only people totally disconnected from standard internet discourse could believe he actually meant that. Criticism online often has a weightless, hyperbolic quality to it. You need to be able to parse that. On top of which, they really should have found that stuff before hiring him.

Petty in the extreme.
One difficult personality can make a project a miserable experience for everyone. And he just essentially flagged himself as a difficult personality by shitposting his employer mere months before he would start work. Unless he is the best level creator in history he can be replaced by someone just as talented who is less likely to cause unnecessary drama.

If anyone in this situation is petty it's him. There is never any reason for ad hominem attacks on a game developer over the quality of their work. Only the worst kind of forumers do that.

Wanderer5

Nope, 3 months old

Here is it, edited last wednesday to "lol"

If linking the actual post and account isn't okay, please delete this post

Oh god, guess that is when they hired him, and he was like, oh crap I should probably edit this before they see it.

Lowmelody

It's long past time that people stand by what they say online and considering how casual cruelty takes a toll over time, I can't begin to blame a company for not exposing existing employees to one of the hounding voices.

They made the right choice. Who would want someone who just insulted everybody at your company on your team. If it was just something he said as a kid/teenager it'd be one thing, but this was pretty damn recent.

He also probably should've waited til he signed the offer letter before he quit his old job and started putting money down on an apartment, but that's a different discussion I guess.

He could have easily explained himself or clarified that it was a heat of the moment thing. Do you honestly think he wanted everyone fired at 343i? The statement in itself was too ridiculous to take seriously.

I don't find it ridiculous at all. You in particular have set my bar of what constitutes "over the top" Halo/343 criticism pretty high.

CookTrain

One difficult personality can make a project a miserable experience for everyone. And he just essentially flagged himself as a difficult personality by shitposting his employer mere months before he would start work. Unless he is the best level creator in history he can be replaced by someone just as talented who is less likely to cause unnecessary drama.

If anyone in this situation is petty it's him. There is never any reason for ad hominem attacks on a game developer over the quality of their work. Only the worst kind of forumers do that.

Even if he's the best level creator in all of time and space, he can't do it alone and yeah... if you put yourself in a place where people don't want to work with you, pretty much any workplace becomes at best frustrating and at worst unbearable.

Are we back to this heat of the moment thing already?

Yeah, I think this is the biggest problem.

As an employee you would immediately start off on the wrong feet with everybody. If anybody takes offense at that comment you are immediately in a bad situation as an employer.

I fully understand them not wanting to go through with this. Every employee being completely fine with that comment is not something that can be assumed.

Hesh

It sounds like he really wanted to work at Bungie, but since 343 makes Halo games now his only option is to work at 343, who he trashed online in the past (like a lot of Bungie fanboys did after 343 took the reins). At which point I just suggest that he apply to work at Bungie instead. I get it, Destiny isn't Halo,, but he seemed a bit selfish in his criticism of 343 ("no one deserves their job", then he gets a job there, it creates an air of superiority that he could do others' job better, which is terrible for team synergy), and I think he would find some solace in Bungie's tools.

This blowing up is only going to hurt him, though, as prospective employers could become aware that this guy potentially uses an anonymous handle to bag on coworkers and peers in the industry. Best of luck to the guy if he really does have the talent to back it up, but you reap what you sow when you shitpost online with the same handle year-after-year.

One day people might start realizing that what they say on the internet actually means something sometimes.

I wonder this whenever I see people in Facebook-powered comment sections spewing hateful vitriol with their actual name and the place they work at tagged next to their name. Eventually you have to draw a line on being an asshat online.

343 as well within its right to rescind the job offer. But, they also missed a great opportunity into taking someone who had trolled and talked crap about them and molded the dude into what I can only imagine would be a just as vocal evangelist for them. Such a waste.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom