• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

35 Minutes of The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt

Lingitiz

How does CD Project Red manages this level of quality? Most interesting stuff in the horizon so far.

In the place of a big publisher or manufacturer would buy them or guarantee exclusivity in some way.

CDPR has been operating on a graphical level higher than most devs since they lead with PC. That game looked incredible at the time so I'm not all that surprised.

Sentenza

I wonder how close to this it will look on PS4. I have a 780 Ti, but it's downstairs in my room, while my PS4 is upstairs in my greatroom hooked up to an 80" TV with surround sound. I can't not play this on the 80".

Pay someone to run hdmi cable through your walls.

Or get a decent wireless hdmi sender. I have a gigaview 821, cost me £250. It works. Crystal clear 1080p, no lag, no dropouts. Goes from my pc upstairs to my lounge downstairs where my Projector is hooked up.

Or the cheaper way: carry your PC up.
OR buy it for PS4 and send me your GTX 780Ti, i will make good use of it and send you my GTX 770 back.

Really hoping PS4 looks almost just as good as this or at least almost as good. I really don't want to have to buy this on PC.

Ultra? Hopefully not, there's a ton of aliasing.

What they call "ultra" is ultimately arbitrary. The presets probably don't cover things like MSAA and übersampling, which are probably available, but not feasible for demoing at acceptable performance.

HeelPower

They better remove the stamina on the fast dashing.

In an open world so huge you better let me run freely and as fast as possible.Fuck reality in this case.

Did no one learn anything from Dragon's Dogma horrid traversal ?

Having to stop every 10 seconds to recharge a bar is pointless in this kind of game.Its too big to allow that.

Dark Souls have limited stamina because the encounter and world designs are completely different.Some developers still don't understand this.

Bound by Flame actually did away with stamina and let you run fast as you wanted all the time.It really helps when you are trying to dash through a place you've already been too.

This is as pointless as item Burden.

misho8723

Banned

In an open world so huge you better let me run freely and as fast as possible.Fuck reality in this case.

Having to stop every 10 seconds to recharge a bar is pointless in this kind of game.Its too big to allow that.

Dark Souls have limited stamina because the encounter and world designs are completely different.Some developers still don't understand this.

Bound by Flame actually did away with stamina and let you run fast as you wanted all the time.It really helps when you are trying to dash through a place you've already been too.

You have a horse, use it :)

I assume these are towns that appeared in the previous games?
Nope. Other then revisiting a few locations not attached directly to the game map, this game takes place in a region none of the previous games covered. But Oxenfurt was a major location in one of the books. Both the books and the game tend to move around a lot geographically.

Grotar

I actually wish RPGs could stop going for "multiple cities" sincea single detailed one is already more than they can chew usually.
You inevitably will end with a lot of places that have 5-6 relevant NPCs at most and barely any intricacy or interaction.
I mean, Gothic 2 had just a relatively small town, Khorinos, and I have a hard time remembering any other RPG who topped the amount of content they packed into that one in cities that were supposed to be far bigger.

Oh man Khorinis was a gem, maybe the best city in any RPG, was so full of life. Especially the part when Vatras was holding speeches at square :)

As for Witcher 3 I just hope Nvidia 860 series will arrive before the game is released. My 560-ti can still run most off the modern games on high but I think Witcher 3 will melt it :(

Vire

This looks phenomenal and I'm not saying anything else that hasn't already been said, but does anyone feel like the camera is too far zoomed out from the character? Something just feels "off" about it to me.

In most third person games it's much closer, obviously on the PC you can zoom in and out, but I'm hoping this isn't the default view for consoles.

EDIT: After watching it some more it seems like the camera is placed from a birds eye view above Geralt rather than level with his perspective like most other games. Not a fan.

Sentenza

This looks phenomenal and I'm not saying anything else that hasn't already been said, but does anyone feel like the camera is too far zoomed out from the character? Something just feels "off" about it to me.

In most third person games it's much closer, obviously on the PC you can zoom in and out, but I'm hoping this isn't the default view for consoles.
I think I've read somewhere on their forum in the past that there should be few different default cameras.
Not sure if there will also be the option to zoom in and out, though.

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
Not to sound like a wet blanket but The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt makes lords of the fallen & Middle Earth: Shadow of Mordor feel so redundant.

EDIT: After watching it some more it seems like the camera is placed from a birds eye view above Geralt rather than level with his perspective like most other games. Not a fan.
If i'm not mistaken, there will be camera options for the game.

Watching the video again, something I love is the dialog between Geralt and Djisktra. The final part when Dijkstra asks if the girl is really the one who she thinks, and Geralt just gets up and says goodbye without answering is just exactly as every dialog Geralt has with Djisktra in the books lol
Attention to detail for the fans, you have to love CDPR

Is Novigrad the only city in the game other than villages and castles? Don't get me wrong it looks phenomenal but i hope there are also a couple of smaller cities as well.

I assume these are towns that appeared in the previous games? In any case that's great. I love exploring (HD) towns. :p

Gors Velen appears in the book Time of Contempt (4th book)
Oxenfurt appears in Blood of Elves (3rd book)
Novigrad appears in the Sword of Destiny (2nd book)

Oxenfurt and Novigrad are just one besides the other. Novigrad is the free capital of Redania and one of the biggest cities in the Northern Kingdoms, while Oxenfurt is the university city (and a pretty cool place by the description in the books).

Non of those cities appear in the original games, and are only mentioned by some characters, and will appear for the first time in the witcher 3.
We dont know still if Gors Velen appears in this one though, but Geralt seems to mention it in the dialog of this same video. EDIT Seems that they mention Velen, not the city Gors Velen, and that zone supposedly doesnt exist on the books.

Vizima (the only big human city that appears in the games as explorable) appears only in the first game. We have seen the throne room in one of the videos, so we still dont know if it will make an appearence again or is only part of a custscene.

Looking at the video, running uses stamina BUT you can keep still running without stamina infinetly. Probably so you dont stack running with attacks that use stamina (escape while still hitting the enemy, something you could do in TW1, were you could use it to kill creatures not intended to kill at your level).

First, you run to traverse the landscape, not use the dash.

Second, running doesn't consume stamina.

And third, I even doubt you can dash outside combat.

First of all, HOLYS@$! this game looks amazing, I loved Witcher 2 and cannot wait to dig into this. Secondly...

Im curious if they have discussed any kind of dynamic events system, something to keep gameplay coming in this apparently vast world. Im really hoping that they have gameplay systems in place that extend the life of this game well past the story elements. Have they talked about this at all?

boskee

First of all, HOLYS@$! this game looks amazing, I loved Witcher 2 and cannot wait to dig into this. Secondly...

Im curious if they have discussed any kind of dynamic events system, something to keep gameplay coming in this apparently vast world. Im really hoping that they have gameplay systems in place that extend the life of this game well past the story elements. Have they talked about this at all?

I remember reading about randomly generated/dynamic encounter with bandits. Not sure about other types of events, but I think it's rather likely.

HeelPower

Looking at the video, running uses stamina BUT you can keep still running without stamina infinetly. Probably so you dont stack running with attacks that use stamina (escape while still hitting the enemy, something you could do in TW1, were you could use it to kill creatures not intended to kill at your level).

First, you run to traverse the landscape, not use the dash.

Second, running doesn't consume stamina.

And third, I even doubt you can dash outside combat.

Just to clarify by dashing I meant fast running at 4:35 and I think SpacePirateRidley is right.It does consume stamina but you can still run beyond that.

My guess it uses the same "evasion" button which can only be used in combat.I really hope there are no limitations here and I feel better after looking closely at the video.

Lexikon

Neo Member
Best 35 minutes of my day. This game looks beautiful and makes me hurt inside that I don't have a PC that could handle it :c Oh well PS4 second best option haha

Also, anyone else really loving the music? Fits the mood so well!

LQX

That 5GB download was so worth it, the YouTube video does it no justice even at 1080p. Thanks for that link. Looks amazing.

I have never played The Witcher series and even i am going to pick this one up, it is fucking beautiful. I could see myself just getting lost in that city.

misho8723

Banned
The citizens seem a bit stiff and lifeless though. My only concern about this game.

Lifeless? What are you talking about? .. almost every one of the citizen of the city in that video is doing something else and meaningful.. children playing, man on a boat in a river, women talking together, another man fells timber, one is repairing a house, some are fishing, some are watching the band playing, some are on the market, etc..
This is maybe the most vivid looking city in a RPG.. some animation and path finding problems, but you know: Work in progress :)

Shogun1337

I won't even bother reading through 9 pages, because here's what I expect has been the main argument of the last 9 pages (much like I expect Youtube comments, or 4chan comments (I've basically just lost all faith in humanity)):

- You're gonna have to deal with the popups and whatnot in this game. Without a doubt. It's the cost of this technical masterpiece they've created. And if ya'll bitch loud enough, who knows, we'll probably just got a slight downgrade in graphics/texture to get better game performance; Then there'd be even more bitching.

HeelPower

- You're gonna have to deal with the popups and whatnot in this game. Without a doubt. It's the cost of this technical masterpiece they've created. And if ya'll bitch loud enough, who knows, we'll probably just got a slight downgrade in graphics/texture to get better game performance; Then there'd be even more bitching.

I don't see anything wrong with that and probably expect it.I don't want a broken mess like Bethesda games on console.They'll probably have to cut some corners on console.

The game will still end up looking amazing simply because of the art direction.

I am really curious to see the PS4 version.

Lifeless? What are you talking about? .. almost every one of the citizen of the city in that video is doing something else and meaningful.. children playing, man on a boat in a river, women talking together, another man fells timber, one is repairing a house, some are fishing, some are watching the band playing, some are on the market, etc..
This is maybe the most vivid looking city in a RPG.. some animation and path finding problems, but you know: Work in progress :)

By lifeless I mean some of them basically stay at the same place, do the same thing, over and over again. Of course there is quite a varieties of actions but it still feels a bit off to me. A lot of them are walking around but lots are just standing around with their arms around their chests too. At 1:30 you can see a halfling just keep walking despite being blocked. And when Geralt was heading into the village to talk to the alderman you can see the butcher chopping the meat over and over again without doing anything else.

But I should have said this is mostly based on TW2, and so far the feeling this video gave me was that there has been improvements, but some of the things, like those mentioned above, stay the same.

Of course this is a work in progress and there might be further improvements but so far I still feel Ubisoft's cities are more lively, albeit only slightly. But that is pretty much the only weak point of CDPR's games.

And I say all this as one of the biggest fans of them. I owned all the games and preordered both the CE and GOG version.

iXiawbXbAJSuc.gif

By lifeless I mean some of them basically stay at the same place, do the same thing, over and over again. Of course there is quite a varieties of actions but it still feels a bit off to me. A lot of them are walking around but lots are just standing around with their arms around their chests too. At 1:30 you can see a halfling just keep walking despite being blocked. And when Geralt was heading into the village to talk to the alderman you can see the butcher chopping the meat over and over again without doing anything else.

But I should have said this is mostly based on TW2, and so far the feeling this video gave me was that there has been improvements, but some of the things, like those mentioned above, stay the same.

Of course this is a work in progress and there might be further improvements but so far I still feel Ubisoft's cities are more lively, albeit only slightly. But that is pretty much the only weak point of CDPR's games.

And I say all this as one of the biggest fans of them. I owned all the games and preordered both the CE and GOG version.
Sometimes I prefer people standing doing the same action over and over again than just walking around aimlessly like in many Ubisoft games. It brings nothing new and it doesn't really create a decent atmosphere. If a tailor is working on something while I take my time and pass by him, it won't really bother me that he is always doing that, chances are I won't stop for 5 minutes to look at it. Even if I did, pretty sure a tailor spends more than 5 minutes sitting and working. Same with a butcher, sure he could go pick another piece of meat, but having a butcher cutting meat is already enough in my book. It's much worse when I notice an NPC walking around, doing nothing, turning back and going the way he came. That shit drives me nuts. A mixture of people walking, entering buildings and a few "static" doing some kind of work, talk, play, whatever, is something that pleases me.

semiconscious

Gold Member
Not to sound like a wet blanket but The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt makes lords of the fallen & Middle Earth: Shadow of Mordor feel so redundant.

weird. never played a witcher game, & this video inadvertently convinced me to get shadow of mordor. character movement & combat just look more interesting to me...

not that the 2 games really have a whole lot in common, afa gameplay. pretty sure i'll eventually check out witcher 3 somewhere down the line. but, no, i'm not really seeing any redundancy...

The Water Hags reminded me of a character in a film called legend, way they moved about.
Legend-Robert.jpg

Wonder if any of that scene was a basis of inspiration.

Top Bottom