• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

$399 kinect less X1 is a price increase

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bowler

First off I won't even begin with the deals that could be had for the past 6 weeks on normal bundles ranging from 399 to 449 with 50 gift cards, 429 with V.me check outs etc.

Let's just stick with msrp

So the titanfall bundle, still available in many places for 499, comes with a month of live, game, console and kinect.

I know they haven't "released" the sku, but we do know it is kinectless, and I'm 90 % sure it won't come with a game. Why? Because xbox has a track record of waiting to pack in stuff, and notoriously always gimps the lowest poor tier of console with nothing of added value. They will want to test the market at the new retail in hopes that e3 will garner gamer support. Leading to no extra value added incentive other then the new sku.

So of the outpouring of support from gamers on here, and other places, saying this is great, finally, etc. Really your just supporting a new option in terms of sku's to buy at retail. Which I'm all for options, but this is plain as day a cost manipulation in the hopes of lessened consumer awareness.

With the kinect in the cost range from 120 to 180 bucks you will understand that math is gonna math, and your looking at a price increase for just the hardware at a 399 price point. You don't remove options to make it cheaper to the base and not disclose the price of said options.

#teampriceincrease

I honestly believe that if the gamers stay quiet and the media keeps trumping up how good options are to have. We will get the plain Jane poor tier console.

We need to make it known that we know this is a price increase on hardware, and we should also get atleast a packed in game and live.

End rant of shady marketing

Cheddahz

Banned
Are we doing this hashtag shit again?

Sony is charging $399 for a base console, so Microsoft is going to sell a base console for the same price now. While there have been bundles for fifty more bucks, some people don't want to play Titanfall or want a Kinect, so this is honestly the best thing that Microsoft could do right now

They said Kinect is going to retail (as in sold with a profit) for less than 100 bucks, so I don't think it costs anywhere near 120-180 to them.

Pretty much. I think MS are making some REALLY good moves, ones that will at least guarantee I'll buy an X1 eventually, but £350 for the new kinectless console isn't going to get me jumping on with the hype. Tesco was selling the titanfall bundle for £340 a month or so ago, and that included the camera. Do these moves give me greater confidence? Definitely. Will they get me to buy one at that price? No. It might be an official rrp price cut, but in reality it isn't at all, unless the supermarkets sell it for £300.

Hugstable

Banned
That 100$ less makes a huge difference to those who didn't want Kinect in the first place. It's still a lower price point than 499$ and the lower that number is what consumers pay attention to.

Zing

Banned
Are we doing this hashtag shit again?
I recently called a university to get some info, and the automated phone prompt told me to enter my student number "followed by the hashtag key".

I don't want to live on this planet anymore.

Radec

1. get the Xbone now on discounted price and maybe a free game $450?
2. sell the Kinect for $70
3. ??
4. #profit!

DarkJC

The $300 360 Core system without hard drive was a "price increase" too, considering the obscene prices Microsoft charged for hard drives and accessories.

If you don't want the Kinect, you can now pay $100 less. If you do, get it bundled in for $500.

Hugstable

Banned
I recently called a university to get some info, and the automated phone prompt told me to enter my student number "followed by the hashtag key".

Lol wow they don't refer to it as the pound key anymore?

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
It's neither a price increase or a price cut. It's a new $399 SKU.

..with less value :p

But its stupid to have that discussion over 1246718 different threads. Can we please agree on a single thread,lol.

Freeman

Banned
It definitely is, we have seen much better deals on Xbox One already. Now its harder to see how the XOne offers more value than PS4 when both cost 399 and are bare bones.

Already posted this in another thread, since it fits here too:

These are the exact same hardware options MS provided in fall of 2010. Either gamers have incredibly short memories or... I can't think of another explanation of the incredulity being expressed over the announcement. It's like MS scrambled everyone's brains with that "Kinect is integral" PR line.

Skeleton

Banned
They have to be super careful with the price they put on kinect.

Too low Day one rage

Too high, no one will buy.

Plus them ousting it from the xbox one already makes it look to the consumer like it's an additional premium/luxury product.

Good Luck Microsoft,

Cheddahz

Banned
..with less value :p
True, it has less value than the launch console did, but most people didn't want to pay $100 for a device they weren't going to use and Microsoft finally sees that now. You're paying $400 for a console now and if you want the Kinect, it's optional now (just like how to the PS4 Camera is optional with the PS4)

Nymphae

Banned

Remember that James Franco instagram debacle from a few weeks back when he was asking that 17 year old to hook up for sex? The funniest part of that to me was when he texted her "What's your #" and she says "What do you mean what's my #?" lol. Kid has no idea that used to mean number.

rayisbeast

Neo Member
They should include a game with every 499 console. Then when people go and buy a new Xbox One the 399 will look like a waste of money, but will still give people the choice that they wanted. More kinects will be sold and then the devs will be happy.

BadWolf

The fact of that matter is that they are selling weaker hardware at the same price as the stronger hardware of the competitor.

Whether you are cool or not with that is up to you but you are definitely getting less for the same price compared to the PS4.

Overall its a great move but undercutting the PS4's price would have had a stronger impact.

MBR

Banned
You're paying a premium for the console so that you don't have to pay for the Kinect. It's a basic pricing strategy, nothing wrong with it.

Consumers who know they'll want the Kinect will buy that bundle, or buy it later on for another premium, which means more profits and better PR for MS for offering that option too. Everybody wins.

Rosur

Pretty much. I think MS are making some REALLY good moves, ones that will at least guarantee I'll buy an X1 eventually, but £350 for the new kinectless console isn't going to get me jumping on with the hype. Tesco was selling the titanfall bundle for £340 a month or so ago, and that included the camera. Do these moves give me greater confidence? Definitely. Will they get me to buy one at that price? No. It might be an official rrp price cut, but in reality it isn't at all, unless the supermarkets sell it for £300.

i find £350 kinda insulting for the same reason's you've listened and at that price rather spend £30 more for a titanfall version with kinect. If it was £299 probably would be buying one in June though now looks like I'll be waiting for the fall before deciding...

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
This is exactly how I was imagining a thread after a potential Wii U Gamepad-less SKU, It's nice that Xbone took over this thing.

#takeonefortheteam

Make hashtags all you want. They aren't going to price it any lower.

With Kinect being price over $100 it is not a better deal but it is a way to buy the console at a cheaper cost. People asked for this and they are giving it to them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom