• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

$399 kinect less X1 is a price increase

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pagusas

Elden Member
They said Kinect is going to retail (as in sold with a profit) for less than 100 bucks, so I don't think it costs anywhere near 120-180 to them.

You completely miss read what they said, they were implying it would be MORE than $100, not less.

Griss

You say the Kinect is worth $120-160 or whatever. And to Microsoft, maybe it is.

But if the Kinect is worth $0, which, to me, it is, then this is nothing but a $100 dollar price cut. Which it is.

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
I heard the Xbone got a price decrease or something. Anyone have any details?

Cheddahz

Banned
When keeping it real goes wrong

giphy.gif

Cornbread78

It's true and they will profit even more off the Kinect Sensor's sales seperately now. But that entry price will be much "lower" to the consumer and offer a choice, like the PS4 does. The true war will begin in June/July...... Let's the games begin!

Are we doing this hashtag shit again?

giphy.gif

#Yup

fader

So are you saying that people are better off paying 500 for the kinect console and then just detaching the kinect and selling it for 150?..... huh

AU Tiger

Are we doing this hashtag shit again?

Sony is charging $399 for a base console, so Microsoft is going to sell a base console for the same price now. While there have been bundles for fifty more bucks, some people don't want to play Titanfall or want a Kinect, so this is honestly the best thing that Microsoft could do right now

This. I have zero interest in owning a kinect. I DO however, have 100% interest in there being an extra $100 in my pocket.

Cheddahz

Banned
I honestly think that $299 would be a fair price for Xbox One.
That's not going to happen for at least three years. Microsoft has to regain the money they lost in the Xbox division first before even thinking about dropping the price of the console...again

Shanlei91

Sonic handles my blue balls
Things get a bit wackier when you consider sales. That Titanfall bundle was at $400 during multiple sales.

A savvy shopper could've purchased it, sold their kinect, played some titanfall then sold that and walked away with a $300 Xbox One.

Edit: Boggles my mind that a $400 kinectless SKU is making an cartwheel-induced uproar while that $400 Titanfall Bundle made people just say "should've been this price anyway".

RiggyRob

While the relative value of the X1 without the Kinect may have increased, average consumers will only really care about the absolute value, and they'll see it's gone down from $499 to $399.

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
#threadassassination or #threadeuthanasia? You decide, GAF.

Also, OP, this is a hard argument to make when your audience values the Kinect at $0.

Bowler

I'm not saying drop more off the price of the kinectless sku. I am saying it better have value added incentives

It doesn't bother any of you peeps that you could of gotten a x1, a game, a month of live, and kinect for roughly the same price? Da fuq

Also, Sony gave me in my PS4 at launch a $10 PSN, 1 month of PSN, and 30 days of Music unlimited. I like to look at it as if I only paid $390. :p However, I can see what OP is saying about the cost.I always thought the 360 was more than anyone led on to believe. You had to buy the wireless adapter if you needed one, and buy a charger kit, also a media remote at the time to watch the dvd's and also the HD-DVD drive, and a proprietary HDD for more space. It seem's kind of the same to me now. Pay $500 and still don't have a rechargeable controller.

Cheddahz

Banned
I'm not saying drop more off the price of the kinectless sku. I am saying it better have value added incentives

It doesn't bother any of you peeps that you could of gotten a x1, a game, a month of live, and kinect for roughly the same price? Da fuq

Microsoft doesn't owe us anything, you just think you're entitled to getting something with your consoles besides...well, a console and if not getting a game is such a big issue for you, download Killer Instinct and play that with only one character (which is a blast) or pick up a Xbox One game for pretty cheap through the B/S/T thread or look out for deals. Microsoft is already starting their Games With Gold promotion on the Xbox One in June, so you'll be getting games to play in a month or so (granted, they are probably not games you'll want to play, but it's still better than nothing and you'll most likely have Gold if you own a Xbox One)

Seriously, Microsoft doesn't need to hand you out free stuff with a console

As someone who has zero interest in any feature of Kinect, one hundred bucks is a hundred bucks. But who am I to stop people from incriminating Microsoft on anything and everything they do.

LegoArmo

It's definitely not a price cut in the UK, where you can get a One, Kinect, and Titanfall for less. It is in the USA though.

monome

Without Kinect, Windows 8 becomes an uncalled for added cost as no full featured and driven by voice/motion apps will come to light, just like HDMI-in and the Kinect port are rendered meaningless.

it also questions the edram/DDR3 strategy.

and makes the One strategy laughable.

Basically the 399$ X1 is just MS saying they are more ready to fuck Sony rather create happy customers.

Pillville

How many xbone topics do we have now since yesterday? 20?
#WeAreAllFanboys

I quick look and I found these:
$399 kinect less X1 is a price increase
How Will Nintendo Respond to the Xbox One Kinect-less SKU? Drop the Gamepad?
Xbox One to overtake PS4 in US by 2015, says analyst
Microsoft in talks to boost performance of kincetless consoles
Now that Gold=PS+, any danger of MS making exclusive deals for Gold?
Xbox One without Kinect - Admitting a mistake or Admitting change?
Microsoft backtracking "kills chances to make original Kinect games"
MS: XB1 Kinect won't cost $100,400$ XB1 revealed early because E3 will focus on games
Should the kinectless XBO be redesigned to include a microphone?
Will MS overtake Sony in North America now?
With Kinect being optional now, what will happen to Rare Ltd.?
Do Early Adopters for the X1 Feel Used?
Sony got away with DualShock 4 light bar - Microsoft is forced to remove Kinect 2.0
Sony France answers to Microsoft announcement
What will Sony's response be to the Xbox one price drop? A drop of their own?
Are you interested in buying a $399 Xbox One without Kinect?
"Harmonix Responds To Kinect-Less Xbox One In Tweets"
How does Microsoft go about advertising a Kinectless SKU from this point?
Will Rare abandon Kinect-only game development?

#notthreadwhining

On Topic:
$399 is not a price increase if you didn't want Kinect and never planned on getting one. You just saved $100.

Iorv3th

How do you get a price increase when the price is lowered?

If they sell it for 399$ and make a few extra bucks by not including the kinect, then so what? They are able to set the MSRP as they like. If nobody likes it they wont buy it and they will drop the price again.

Bundles are typically a better value. Just how it works. This however will probably turn into another gripe for GAF to have against the XB1.

nynt9

Considering I've seen unopened current xbox ones go for sub $400 on ebay, is this surprising?

But the "official" price drop matters to the casual consumer who doesn't fish for deals, I guess.

The cheap bundles are always worse value. It's always more expensive if you buy the stuff that the expensive bundle comes with separately. This is not threadworthy.

fader

I guess what he is saying is that the price for the kinectless SKU should be less than $399.

I honestly think that $299 would be a fair price for Xbox One.

i honestly dont know what he is saying, just tried to put some reasoning in my head i guess.

look, people don't care about the kinect, it waws once a popular peripheral but it's claim to fame was it was different. If i even mention a wii or a kinect to a casual the instantly have that sense of nostalgia. what does that mean? that means their not popular and if microsoft gives an ounce of a way to buy the console without the kinect so be it. sooner or later the price for the xbone and ps4 will drop anyways. maybe two Christmases from now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom