• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

3DS had an amazing 2013

Moff

I play mostly pc, but the 3DS is by far my favourite console, ALBW is even my most wanted game of the year. I dont see any of the next gen consoles changing that.

TWILT

Banned
Yup, easily my most played system this year. Have played 300+ hours into Pokemon Y and Fire Emblem Awakening each.

Ace Attorney, SMTIV, Animal Crossing, and Luigi's Mansion were all great too.

EnochP

Neo Member
I think this goes to show that the year of Luigi is the superior year. My 3DS has been getting far more playtime than all of my consoles combined.

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake
For me the major 3DS releases this year were safe entries into tired franchises that often failed to live up to their predecessors. Only Dark Moon stood out as a title that was ambitious and competently executed upon.

Fire Emblem is a safe entry into a tired franchise?

ok

8 games across an entire year represents an amazing lineup?

What do you call the PS3's year then?

God of War, Last of Us, Bioshock, Puppeteer, Ratchet, Ni no Kuni, Metal Gear Rising, Tales of Xillia, Project Diva, GTAV, Final Fantasy XIV, Dragon's Crown, Saint's Row IV, Diablo 3, The Wolf Among Us, Gran Turismo 6..... and I'm sure I'm missing a ton of other games too.

1st party games. Etrian Odyssesy, Shin Megami Tensei, SteamWorld Dig, Ace Attroney, Professor Layton, and a few more in that case

Nori Chan

Yes it was a great year and I'm glad I bought a 3DS this year to experience it

Unfortunately there's nothing that great for 2014 yet. I don't want Zelda.

Codeblue

I bought a ton of 3DS games this year but can't seem to break myself away from Fire Emblem.

I don't think I've ever bought so many games for a single platform in a year.

Sadist

I'll have to completely agree. The variety is unfortunately lacking. This marked the year were I played more on my iphone, than any of my handhelds. If I want a proper driving simulator? O look the app store has me covered. An RTS? Also the app store has it, and for a mere 1-5$ bucks. The same goes for sport games, which are sorely lacking on the 3DS. I just can't justify paying $40 dollars when a $2 app gives me the same enjoyment and quality (and sometimes better graphics).
Now this is something I can't understand; when were there ever good driving simulators or sports games on handhelds? Those types of games always were in the bottom of the barrel qualitywise and I think the majority of 3DS owners would skip those games even if they were available.

Was definitely expecting more than 9 games in the OP. Two are the same Pokemon game, one is a Wii port at half the framerate and one is fucking Mario Party. 3DS had a solid year I guess, Fire Emblem was fantastic but the rest of those are stinkers to me, especially the oh so fucking dull Animal Crossing. GAF really overrates the heck out of this system, even moreso than the Vita!

Javier

Updated.

8JRw1Wh.png

Jinko

Nintendo managed to get so much wrong and so much right all at the same time.

I had no doubt 3DS would come through eventually.

Caronte

I wish they brought some new IPs like Ouendan, Hotel Dusk, or even Jam with the Band to the market. These games are all competent and fun but I much prefer Nintendo's new endeavours.

I've been wondering why they haven't published more games like those on the 3DS. I think part of the reason DS was so succesful is that it had a lot of variety.

The Boat

Now this is something I can't understand; when were there ever good driving simulators or sports games on handhelds? Those types of games always were in the bottom of the barrel qualitywise and I think the majority of 3DS owners would skip those games even if they were available.
They're mostly bottom of the barrel in mobile app stores too save a few exceptions.

Hale-XF11

Not only did the 3DS have a great year, but it also brought my favorite video game soundtracks of the year. Fire Emblem, Dream Team, Sonic Lost World & Luigi's Mansion all have amaaaaaazing music.

Boerseun

Banned
The 3DS release list has been amazing this year, moreso considering we're talking a list of exclusives here. Heck, I would go so far as to say that 3DS has been the greatest dedicated hardcore gaming platform going three years in a row now.

Although, yes, if we look OVER THERE ... Wii U is a complete fuck-up. And it boggles the mind how Nintendo could get things so right with one platform and so horribly wrong with another.

redcrayon

Not if you live in Europe and don't give a shit about the Nintendo mascot games anymore it didn't
2012 was much better.

Not true. This year on the 3DS in Europe, even if we exclude Luigi's Mansion, Donkey Kong, Animal Crossing, Zelda and Pokemon, we had

Fire Emblem
Etrian Odyssey IV
Monster Hunter 3G
Steamworld Dig
Phoenix Wright V
Castlevania: MoF
Batman: Blackgate
SMT: Soul Hackers
Professor Layton

With Bravely Default, Adventure Time, Shovel Knight and Scribblenauts Unlimited still to go.

Even without the usual big Nintendo IP, there was a shedload of decent games on the machine in 2013, the vast majority of them third party. It's just that the first party games suck up all of the attention due to usually being quite good.

How was 2012 better? Off the top of my head, if we exclude Nintendo characters again (Mario tennis, NSMB, Kid Icarus and Paper Mario), we had

Professor Layton
Metal Gear Solid port.
Resident Evil: Revelations
Virtues Last Reward
Plus a few other bits like Tekken and Epic Mickey I suppose, and a couple of good eshop games .

Not bad, but not exactly as good as 2013.

BraXzy

The 3DS is one of the best purchases I've made recently. I've not haf chance to finish the titles I've currently got and there's Bravely Default and ALBW to buy yet!

Vibranium

Banned
Totally awesome this year, and there's still a lot of 2013 games I still need to play at some point. One of my personal GOTY's is Dual Destinies, I had been looking forward to this game since the 3DS was first announced!

I love my Vita, but Atlus USA's 3DS output alone beats the Vita's US output this year. Though I suppose if you don't like JRPGs and do like portable western indie games, you could say the Vita came out on top. Either way: good job 3DS!

isual

Really like the 3ds. I can play my ds games on it.

Unfortunately, I only have 2 game. SMT4 and MH3U.

Played the demo for FE, ehhhh.

Played demo of millenium girl; decent at best.

may get soul hackers.

JLeack

Banned
I spent 160 hours between Animal Farm, Fire Emblem, and Pokemon X. Only Fire Emblem was a huge letdown for me. Final Fantasy Tactics is one of my top 3 games of all time and no other SRPG has scratched that itch. ;(

Yeah, 3DS had a pretty great year. And I'm still looking forward to Zelda and Bravely Default.

I spent more time playing my Vita (bought both this year) but it's mostly because I had Persona 4 on one side and still no SMT IV on the other.

My biggest concern at this point is I hope 2014 will be as good.

hitmon

Yes, the 3DS is having an amazing year and the year isn't even over yet. I thought Nintendo did a good job of spreading out the releases. I hope they can carry the momentum throughout 2014.

axisofweevils

Holy crap! Today's real megaton is that more than two people can have the same first name.
The 3DS has been beastly this year. With the major time sinks that are Fire Emblem and Animal Crossing, I still haven't had time to even start games like Luigi's Mansion.

Lindsay

Dot Hacked
After being an overpriced turd of a system for its first 2 years I'd say this years lineup was loooong overdue! I got 2 of the games in the OP (FE:A, DKCR3D) and Project X Zone and-and Brain Age: Concentration Training! 200+ replies with no mention of that one makes me sad ;_;

3DS Collection
Brain Age: Concentration Training
Donkey Kong Country Returns 3D
Fire Emblem: Awakening
Harvest Moon 3D: A New Beginning
Project X Zone
Style Savvy Trendsetters
Super Mario 3D Land

Desperately in need of more rpgs! Need a BD:FF demo ta determine that ones fate but sure winner'd be DQVII-R! Get it out before fall 2014 plz!

Elija2

The 3DS was too good this year. I still have yet to finish Fire Emblem and SMTIV and soon I'll have to add ALBW to my backlog.

Marz

To the people saying they weren't feeling the Fire Emblem demo:

If you like strategy RPGs at all you'll want to buy the game, FE doesn't really get addicting and sink its teeth into you until you get into all the min/max in the meat of the game. The demo isn't really indicative of how good the series actually is at all.

Etrian Odyssey 4 is enough for me to call the system amazing.

I have most games from the first post, so many amazing games. No other console could compete this year.

Lindsay

Dot Hacked
To the people saying they weren't feeling the Fire Emblem demo:

If you like strategy RPGs at all you'll want to buy the game, FE doesn't really get addicting and sink its teeth into you until you get into all the min/max in the meat of the game. The demo isn't really indicative of how good the series actually is at all.
That all worked out the complete opposite for me! I liked the demo since it reminded me of Shining Force rather than your standard srpgs such as FFT/Disgaea. I dun even like srpgs in general! An I never "sank my teeth" into the "meat" of FE:A. I just played through it (wrongly according to some people >.>) and had a fun lil 17 hour romp!

Busaiku

Yup, amazing year.

I picked up..
Fire Emblem Awakening
Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate
Luigi's Mansion Dark Moon
Devil Summoner Soul Hackers
Animal Crossing New Leaf
Shin Megami Tensei IV
Attack of the Friday Monsters
Mario & Luigi Dream Team
Hakuoki Memories of the Shinsengumi
Etrian Odyssey Untold The Millennium Girl
Rune Factory IV
Pokemon Y

So far, with The Legend of Zelda A Link Between Worlds also being a lock.
I might get Hometown Story as well, but that depends on how much I want that plushie.

Unquestionably my system of the year.

Sandfox

This year was ridiculous and so far there are quite a few 2014 titles I'm interested in:
Bravely Default
Layton 6
Professor Layton vs. Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney
Smash
Kirby
Yumi's Odd Odyssey

Rootbeer

Banned
Stunning, all-star year on the 3DS. If you are a gamer and don't own one... in the words of Reggie: what's wrong with you?

Apprehensive that we don't know enough about the titles of 2014 though. Really hope Fantasy Life makes it to english-speaking territories.

Shaanyboi

Banned
I didn't expect to spend nearly as much time with my 3DS as I did this year. I bought a fuck-ton of games with little time to play them. I got wrapped up in Fire Emblem for months, am only now getting through Luigi's Mansion, I have a bunch of eshop games...

Helluva year.

Top Bottom